Introducing... the HTC Touch HD

Guest mobiman2008

Guest SUPER-ZAHIR
anything based on an Nvidia TEGRA or something with ARM "CORTEX" core based.

if you remember earlier i mentioned that almost all mobile phone devices have and ARM based architecture. well the latest and greatest design from ARM is their CORTEX design, it's part of the TI's OMAP series coming soon, part of Qualcomm's "snapdragon", and Samsung will make something based on it too.

these companies take the ARM CPU design, then they add-in some GRFX chip from Imagination technologies, or nvidia,etc, and that makes most of the SoC (system-on-chip).

after that add an LCD screen, some RAM/ROM, and the RADIO chips (bluetooth,cdma,3g,wi-fi,etc) and there you have your mobile device ;)

intel and some other companies around the world are working on "software radios". these are chips that can be reconfigured to change their transistor layout so they can be any "radio frequency" they want.

imagine the ease and flexibility of not having so many hardwired separate radio devices inside, one chip to rue them all!

How long will it be before we see these new devices with the new processors

Also will they be 1GHZ and higher?

And which do you think is better the sony X1 or THE HTC touch HD

I know the obvious pro's and cons to both but which will be the better phone in your opinion?

"And lastly how long do you think the hTC HD will last in terms of before it would be good to upgrade and when will we start seeing atom processors in phones?"

Qualcomm's "snapdragon" and Nvidia's "TEGRA" based devices will probably start showing up around the time WinMo 7 does, that is about 1H 2009 ;)

the performance of those chips will blow away the MSM72XX series :wacko:

there's your answer :(

as for the speed of the chips, Nvidia's "APX2500 Tegra" smartphone chip will be running @ 600mhz.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/718/1/

in the slides you can get a good idea of what goes into a Soc (system on chip), and you can see in the table comparison that the two faster versions of the chip will be for UMPC's because of the faster memory bus and the IDE connection and the bigger LCD resolution support. these versions of the chip are more powerful because they need to run a full-blown desktop OS like vista or linux

Qualcomm's "snapdragon" chip will be anwhere from 800Mhz-1Ghz dpending on how many versions of the chip they want to split (like Tegra has 3 versions).

the rated speed of the chips should NOT be considered as an "apples-to-apples" comparison to previous chips, even from the same company.

this is because as the architecture evolves, improvements are made to power and performance efficiency to the extent that a recent "slower rated" chip can perform BETTER than an older and apparently "faster" chip.

think of the Qualcomm MSM72XX chips, they are rated at 528mhz, almost same as older Intel Xscale PXA270 @520mhz.

yet the Qualcomm chip is much better.

this is because of integrated Graphics chip and other DSP's and more efficient architecture....all on one chip!

Also compare desktop chips between an Intel core2duo@2ghz and an old [email protected] would you like?

(and before anyone is mart enough to mention it's unfair because of "multi-core" compared to single core, the newer ARM chips are multi-core compared to older ARM chips. so it's a very fair comparison )

as for sony Xperia X1 and Touch HD, depends what you want to use it for :D

i'm getting a touch HD for reasons i already stated.

they BOTH use the exact same Qualcomm msm7201a chip @ 528mhz and have the same resolution screen. the "size" of the screen doesn't effect the performance of the chip, only the amount of pixels it as to "draw".

the X1 is better for:

those who like hardware button input better than touch

better video recording,

better battery life (the X1 has a smaller backlit screen and a 1500mah battery)

may be better suited to use as music player due to it's size,

is small "pocketable" device

a hardware keyboard for lots of texting and email,web browsing,etc

the touch HD is better for:

people that want to watch video on the go,

browse the web where screen presentation size and scale is preferred to text input method (you have to use "on screen" keyboard),

like to use touch screen input more for EVERYTHING, compared to hardware buttons (as it has almost none!). think about texting, going into menu's,etc with NO hardware buttons as it all has to be touch controlled.

Edited by p3ngwin

Guest SUPER-ZAHIR

"And lastly how long do you think the hTC HD will last in terms of before it would be good to upgrade and when will we start seeing atom processors in phones?"

Qualcomm's "snapdragon" and Nvidia's "TEGRA" based devices will probably start showing up around the time WinMo 7 does, that is about 1H 2009 ;)

the performance of those chips will blow away the MSM72XX series :wacko:

there's your answer :(

as for the speed of the chips, Nvidia's "APX2500 Tegra" smartphone chip will be running @ 600mhz.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/718/1/

in the slides you can get a good idea of what goes into a Soc (system on chip), and you can see in the table comparison that the two faster versions of the chip will be for UMPC's because of the faster memory bus and the IDE connection and the bigger LCD resolution support. these versions of the chip are more powerful because they need to run a full-blown desktop OS like vista or linux

Qualcomm's "snapdragon" chip will be anwhere from 800Mhz-1Ghz dpending on how many versions of the chip they want to split (like Tegra has 3 versions).

the rated speed of the chips should NOT be considered as an "apples-to-apples" comparison to previous chips, even from the same company.

this is because as the architecture evolves, improvements are made to power and performance efficiency to the extent that a recent "slower rated" chip can perform BETTER than an older and apparently "faster" chip.

think of the Qualcomm MSM72XX chips, they are rated at 528mhz, almost same as older Intel Xscale PXA270 @520mhz.

yet the Qualcomm chip is much better.

this is because of integrated Graphics chip and other DSP's and more efficient architecture....all on one chip!

Also compare desktop chips between an Intel core2duo@2ghz and an old [email protected] would you like?

(and before anyone is mart enough to mention it's unfair because of "multi-core" compared to single core, the newer ARM chips are multi-core compared to older ARM chips. so it's a very fair comparison )

as for sony Xperia X1 and Touch HD, depends what you want to use it for :D

i'm getting a touch HD for reasons i already stated.

they BOTH use the exact same Qualcomm msm7201a chip @ 528mhz and have the same resolution screen. the "size" of the screen doesn't effect the performance of the chip, only the amount of pixels it as to "draw".

the X1 is better for:

those who like hardware button input better than touch

better video recording,

better battery life (the X1 has a smaller backlit screen and a 1500mah battery)

may be better suited to use as music player due to it's size,

is small "pocketable" device

a hardware keyboard for lots of texting and email,web browsing,etc

the touch HD is better for:

people that want to watch video on the go,

browse the web where screen presentation size and scale is preferred to text input method (you have to use "on screen" keyboard),

like to use touch screen input more for EVERYTHING, compared to hardware buttons (as it has almost none!). think about texting, going into menu's,etc with NO hardware buttons as it all has to be touch controlled.

I'll probably get the touch HD then

When you said the phone doesnt have a USB host mode, it would be possible for someone to write a program to make it into a USB host mode? as thats how the N810 one works

As this way i could get a small 250gb external drive =D

Guest Kelly_Hamilton

I like the contemporary design of the handset and all its functionalities. And of course the 3.8" HD big screen!

This HTC Touch HD is definitely a very strong competitor to the current iPhone 3G.

I will probably buy it when sold in Australia.

Kelly

Visit: http://ibestpublisher.com

Guest Raziel1
I like the contemporary design of the handset and all its functionalities. And of course the 3.8" HD big screen!

This HTC Touch HD is definitely a very strong competitor to the current iPhone 3G.

I will probably buy it when sold in Australia.

Kelly

Visit: http://ibestpublisher.com

i also think it will beat the iphone in many ways. great phone. and there are allready some reviews on youtube. they all sound very good.

and state that its better than the iphone. can't wait for it to come out in one month

Guest fatbutcher

The Touch HD is now back on the HTC site!

http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=64790

From the site......

Highlights

• 3.8-inch wide, WVGA (480 X 800 pixel) display offering a cinema experience on the go
  • Vibrant TouchFLOTM 3D user interface, responding perfectly to your finger gestures when scrolling through contacts, browsing the web, and launching media
  • Surf and download at broadband speed with HSDPA internet connectivity
  • Google Maps enhanced by the wide screen viewing platform
  • 5 megapixel camera for quality stills and video
  • 3.5 mm audio jack makes the Touch HDTM compatible with the majority of audio equipment available

Spec from HTC site too...

Model HTC Touch HDâ„¢ T8282

Processor Qualcomm® MSM 7201A™ 528 MHz

Operating System Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional

Memory ROM: 512 MB

RAM: 288 MB

Dimensions 115 mm x 62.8 mm x 12 mm

(4.35 in x 2.5 in x 0.47 in)

Weight 146.4 grams (5.164 ounces) with battery

Display 3.8-inch TFT-LCD flat touch-sensitive screen with 480 x 800 WVGA resolution

Network HSDPA/WCDMA:

Europe/Asia: 900/2100 MHz

Up to 2 Mbps up-link and 7.2 Mbps down-link speeds

Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:

Europe/Asia: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

(Band frequency, HSUPA availability, and data speed are operator dependent.)

Device Control HTC TouchFLOâ„¢ 3D

Touch-sensitive front panel buttons

GPS GPS and A-GPS ready

Connectivity Bluetooth® 2.0 with Enhanced Data Rate and A2DP for wireless stereo headsets

Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11 b/g

HTC ExtUSBâ„¢ (11-pin mini-USB 2.0)

Camera Main camera: 5 megapixel color camera with auto focus

Second camera: VGA CMOS color camera

Audio Built-in 3.5 mm audio jack, microphone, speaker, and FM radio

Ring tone formats:

AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, QCP, MP3, WMA, WAV

40 polyphonic and standard MIDI format 0 and 1 (SMF)/SP MIDI

Battery Rechargeable Lithium-ion or Lithium-ion polymer battery

Capacity: 1350 mAh

Talk time:

Up to 390 minutes for WCDMA

Up to 310 minutes for GSM

Standby time:

Up to 450 hours for WCDMA

Up to 390 hours for GSM

Video call time: Up to 120 minutes

(The above are subject to network and phone usage.)

Expansion Slot microSDâ„¢ memory card (SD 2.0 compatible)

AC Adapter Voltage range/frequency: 100 ~ 240V AC, 50/60 Hz

DC output: 5V and 1A

Special Features FM Radio, G-Sensor

All looks pretty sweet to me! ;)

Guest CassilineKnight

Okay I heard on Engadget that HTC will NOT be releasing this in the United States of America. Is that true?

However according to Engadget we can import it. However if we do that will it still work on ANY US 3G network? And how much would it cost?

Guest nickcornaglia
Okay I heard on Engadget that HTC will NOT be releasing this in the United States of America. Is that true?

However according to Engadget we can import it. However if we do that will it still work on ANY US 3G network? And how much would it cost?

ANY carrier...no. Only GSM carriers like ATT and TMobile. Not Sprint or Verizon which are CDMA. But you will only be able to use EDGE speeds as US 3G bands are not included.

Guest CassilineKnight
ANY carrier...no. Only GSM carriers like ATT and TMobile. Not Sprint or Verizon which are CDMA. But you will only be able to use EDGE speeds as US 3G bands are not included.

Well that totally sucks IMO.

Oh well Touch Pro for me.

HTC made a dumb move there.

Guest dr_nick
anyone have any ideas which networks will be takin gthis and when?

I am, of course, referring to the UK market only.

been with orange for many years but would always consider a change for the right deal/handset...

Guest p3ngwin
Well that totally sucks IMO.

Oh well Touch Pro for me.

HTC made a dumb move there.

actually, USA made a dumb move by having networks run a racketeering cartel that dictate what customers can have.

in the rest of the world we are allowed and free to use SIM-FREE handsets from plenty of outlets (physical shops, not just online bought). USA has a strangle hold on the selection that customers can use, seriously, you guys have about 20 devices released per YEAR on all networks COMBINED!

Asia released 20 devices a month, but USA never sees them or gets to enjoy them because your networks don't like SIM-FREE devices and they aren't supported on your frequency.

that's the main problem for you guys.

the strange USA 3G band frequency. is it any surprise that all the handsets made in Asia use common frequencies?

the handsets are made in Asia, use Asian and European frequencies, everyone else on the planet is happy to live where they are free to choose sim-free handsets and work on their country's frequency.

USA has an odd frequency and doesn't make it's own handsets so has to import them from Asia.

...... your country does not make devices for your own frequency, look for the blame right there.

Guest nickcornaglia

Unless you're from an asian country penguin....your country doesnt make your phones either.

Most US bands have existed beofre Smartphones existed...and other issues like government bands prohibit the US from using the same GSM bands as Europe. Also dont forget that the US was primarily CDMA and TDMA before the phone market exploded.

There is a large market for phones in the US. HTC knows how to make Quadband phones and also knows how to sell them thru 3rd party outlets like BestBuy.

You're wrong in your choice of words...it's HTC that isn't being accommodating to the US...probably for bigger reasons that you or I know. Such as the possibility that they wont go up against their own phones sold by AT&T or T-Mobile.

So don't be a basher for the sake of bashing. The iPhone can be a usiversal phone successful around the world in large numbers. No reason why HTC couldnt do the same with the Touch HD.

Guest p3ngwin
Unless you're from an asian country penguin....your country doesnt make your phones either.

Most US bands have existed beofre Smartphones existed...and other issues like government bands prohibit the US from using the same GSM bands as Europe. Also dont forget that the US was primarily CDMA and TDMA before the phone market exploded.

There is a large market for phones in the US. HTC knows how to make Quadband phones and also knows how to sell them thru 3rd party outlets like BestBuy.

You're wrong in your choice of words...it's HTC that isn't being accommodating to the US...probably for bigger reasons that you or I know. Such as the possibility that they wont go up against their own phones sold by AT&T or T-Mobile.

So don't be a basher for the sake of bashing. The iPhone can be a usiversal phone successful around the world in large numbers. No reason why HTC couldnt do the same with the Touch HD.

It's not "MY" country, but actually it DOES make it's own devices :lol:

thanks for the presumption.

Whether your frequencies existed before the devices is not the point.

i mentioned you CURRENTLY have a frequency set that isn't common enough around the world for the countries that actually MAKE the devices bother with much.

the USA's frequency is a MINORITY.

you mention governmental hurdles as reasons as WHY the USA has a mobile frequency and uncommon to the rest of the world, then you state:

" Most US bands have existed beofre Smartphones existed."

a side-truth to what you've said is that the USA has not evolved it's frequencies to keep up with compatibility with the rest of the world.

Asia is a world leader in wireless communications and Europe has some of the best networks too. those countries are already are getting ready for 4G networks while the USA still hasn't got all of it's network providers giving it's customers 3G access.

the USA lags behind in wireless conectivity and wirless mobile tech.

none of what you said changes the fact i pointed out:

the USA has frequencies uncommon to the rest of the world, especially the device maker's country of origin.

you say:

" HTC knows how to make Quadband phones and also knows how to sell them thru 3rd party outlets like BestBuy."

the simple fact is the MAJORITY of phones are sold with network providers and subsidies.

"sim-free" devices from 3rd parties are a tiny percentage compared to the network deals that device manufacturers have. witness Apple's gauging of AT&T for over 50% profit on EVERY device.

HTC may "know" how to make quad-band devices for the USA and even where to sell them, it costs more to have universal bands and it obviously isn't worth it compared to the "guarenteed" payout from a network deal on frequencies that are common.

you believe that i'm "wrong" in my words and that it is in fact HTC that isn't accomodating the USA?

understand that HTC sells a buttload more devices in Asia & Europe than the USA can dream of. this is because their networks are modern, and the culture there is for shorter contracts (the rest of the world laughs at USA's 2 year contracts), shorter term "impuls upgrades" (the shorter the contract , if any, the more handsets the customer can upgrade to). in fact in China and Finland are examples of countries that do not lock ANY phones to networks (it's actually illegal in China).

this is why you can get a legaly unlocked iphone in Asia, they aren't retarded in their network businesses.

"it's HTC that isn't being accommodating to the US...probably for bigger reasons that you or I know. Such as the possibility that they wont go up against their own phones sold by AT&T or T-Mobile. "

If HTC have devices on multiple networks they are laughing all the way to the bank, if everyone is buying their devices do you believe they care which network you get them from?

The iphone is not a sucess around the world because it costs too much for a hardware feature set that is BELOW the average available in Europe and Asia.

HTC may make the Ht8290 with WiMax for the USA , but don't expect the rest of the world to accomodate to a hostile (network cartel), and ancient (old technology) environment for little money.

I am, of course, referring to the UK market only.

been with orange for many years but would always consider a change for the right deal/handset...

One thing you can be sure of - it won't be Orange for a long time!! They are utterly pants when it comes to making newly released phones available on their network. They seem to lag every other carrier by 4+ months - until last week the newest keyboard equipped WinMo device available with them was STILL the ancient TyTn II (no Touch PRO yet and we're 3 months on there and counting) ...now they're not even offering that and we're stuck with the Shift?!

That said, they are offering the non-keyboard Touch Diamond and Omnia so perhaps they support the non-keyboard phones better but there's been no murmourings anywhere of Orange picking up the HD so you can bet there will be significant lag.

Guest ed_sambo
One thing you can be sure of - it won't be Orange for a long time!! They are utterly pants when it comes to making newly released phones available on their network. They seem to lag every other carrier by 4+ months - until last week the newest keyboard equipped WinMo device available with them was STILL the ancient TyTn II (no Touch PRO yet and we're 3 months on there and counting) ...now they're not even offering that and we're stuck with the Shift?!

That said, they are offering the non-keyboard Touch Diamond and Omnia so perhaps they support the non-keyboard phones better but there's been no murmourings anywhere of Orange picking up the HD so you can bet there will be significant lag.

Just to keep the rumour mill turning:

I was in the Orange shop by Liverpool Street station last week, speaking with the manager. He stated that he had just got back from HTC and that they would be releasing the Touch HD on Orange "sometime in the last quarter". In other words any time from now, though to be fair he did think it would be nearer Christmas.

IF that is the case I know what I'll be getting from Santa this year!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dr_nick

hehe - just found post in blackstone.modaco.com section that orange will have it FIRST and SOON!!!

now i just have to convince the f*ckers i'm due an upgrade (only got this one in feb i think!)

hmmmmm

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.