The custom ROM how-to discussion thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest datafanatic
I just included the OEM PIMbackup as a test. But like I said earlier, it doesn't seem to read the XIP info. If we're using grandprix, must we still have the xip.nb?

Sorry to sound stupid (new to all this cooking), but what is the XIP?

DF :lol:

Guest FutureDirt
Good news, extracting, rebuilding and reflashing works!

P

wahaay! nice one Paul... if you come out with an all singing all dancing custom ROM then i might have to void my vodafone warranty :lol:

That sounds good, could you tell me the steps, especially the reflashing parts. Stuck at rebuilding, it gives me a NewRom file. Then what? Last time I did this was with my Atom, but the kitchen was comprehensive and easier.

Guest testerr
Good news, extracting, rebuilding and reflashing works!

I can't wait for a new sticky thread with detailed step-by-step instructions how to build own ROMs. :-)

Congratulations, anyway.

Question, how does one know which are the files relating to a program that you want to replace or remove. For example shozu, how does one find all the reg files, dlls etc to completely remove the application. Or is there always going to be some remnants left?

Agree, it doesn't function as well as other kitchens but at least its a start. Oh well, gonna go for dinner now, will come back later and hope there's more progress.... :lol:

Guest Paul (MVP)

One slightly weird thing is that flashing my custom ROM seems to have wiped the DXHJ1 CSC... it would be useful if Secany could post DXHJ1 in it's seperate component parts.

P

Guest datafanatic

Awesome work Paul, i feel this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Could you post some form of instructions so the brave and adventurous ones in this forum can start 'cooking'?

Thanks again

DF :lol:

Guest Paul (MVP)

The process!

- Download P535 kitchen linked above

- Download DXHJ1 update (for example) and add .bin to filename

- Run NB0_Kitchen.exe, select BIN file, and NB0 will be extracted

- Click button to create IMGFS, this will give you your dump directory

- Use Pkgtool to change dump to packages

- Modify as desired

- Use BuildOS to change packages back to dump

- Use the Build NB0 button to build your NB0 and BIN files

- Flash BIN using PDA button in GrandPrix

In a nutshell, simple as that! :lol:

P

That fantastic. But I have 2 questions, 1) how do we change the ROM name and date? In NB0_kitchen, the options under XIP are all greyed out. 2) could you provide the eboot and phone image to be used in Grandprix. Thanks in advanced and Happy Cooking! :lol:

i have and some metodic to split exe for PDA, Phone, EBOOT, and Customer zone, but untested now. Same reason - hanv't time. If i doit for logical end and sucsesfuly result, i post metodic here. :lol: