The custom ROM how-to discussion thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Omnia_1
Not quite sure what you mean. The dump folder will get turned into SYS and OEM folders using PKGTool. You then take out/add in whatever you wish, then use BuildOS to turn the modified SYS and OEM folders back into a folder called 'dump'.

Then using the Build NB0 button in the kitchen, you will get your modified .bin file ready to flash with Grand Prix.

I assume if you've already modded and created a dump folder then in theory, yes, you should be able to recreate the .bin file as long as the dump folder is in the correct place.

Can you advise how to tell what other files you need to remove when you take out an app? eg i want to remove googlemaps and rssreader, i find them in OEMApps and delete them, but there must be other dll files and things related to the 2 items i've just removed? How and where do i find them?

I final thing :lol: , i want to replace netCF with the latest 3.5 version, i've got the files ready to copy across to the SYS/netCF folder, but there are a load of dll files in the new version that are not on the Omnia (all begin with GAC i think). Do i need to copy those across as well or just the 6 folders (mscoree3.5 etc)?

Sorry to answer a question with a question but i'm itching to learn this cooking malarky, and i just want to get it right!!

Laterz

DF :D

Its not that simple, its trial and error and heck load of flashing ;) you can assist yourself by using 3rd party apps in OS mode to locate registry and ROM files, file and registry comparisons are the best ways but again its time consuming. Apps like pocket mechanic sktools can be helpful... removing unwanted main app ie. .exe and shortcut also initflash text will certainly make them invisible and free up storage memory, search through .hv .rgu for null reg settings (extreme) can make a difference. Take you time only remove little then flash and test and so on, use info from the www especially XDA Developers, read the Wiki's ask Q's.... As for your .netcf module mosey over to XDA and search there, no need to make the package yourself just delete .net folder and replace with the new one, I usually use .net2 then install .net3.5 in OS mode but its up to you.

^Agree. It's very time consuming with a hell lot of trial and error to see what works and doesn't work. I have flashed probably a dozen times in the last 24 hrs, sometimes it doesn't boot at all, sometimes it reboots itself automatically and now "My Storage" is missing. So have to find out what went wrong again. But well, I guess that's the fun of it, right? :lol:

Most of the registry settings for the apps you wish to remove can be found in .rgu files, you can try deleting the entries there and releated .dlls but of course that could create other broken files. Like for example, if you remove Podcast, then the shortcut in the Launcher will be broken, obviously, since the app does not exist anymore.

So, have lots of patience and good luck!

I have dumped my original Vodaphone Rom. Does anyone know if it is possible to use the .raw files with the Kitchen in order to relash an Omnia in case it has to be returned for a warrenty claim?

Guest panateo
I have dumped my original Vodaphone Rom. Does anyone know if it is possible to use the .raw files with the Kitchen in order to relash an Omnia in case it has to be returned for a warrenty claim?

What's your ROM name?

Finally I have my cooked rom (removed only few elements) but when i flashed with GP,MyStorage in disabled :lol: (i used NB_Kitchen 2.03)

Now i return to DXHJ1 original rom and my storage works again...

Guest datafanatic
hey paul I have upload this tool by mrtoto to all of you can extract rom .exe to get 4 part of full rom pda csc eboot and phone to extract

@echo off

cls

echo.

i900Tools.exe i900DXHI1.exe

cd ..

pause

to pack

@echo off

cls

echo.

i900Tools.exe -p

cd ..

pause

enjoy

Can you please explain in a bit more detail as i can't seem to get this to work. Are you supposed to put the exe file in the same folder as the i900tools? I've follwed the instructions to extract but nothing happens!

Thanks

DF :lol:

Guest new2city

Geez, I am really behind, I can't seem to get past the BuildOS part. I installed .net 3.5 but, if I click on BuildOS(in the tools folder) it just crashes and ask me to send report to MS. But if I put Build OS in the dump folder, it starts but if I press the run icon, is says it can't find pkgcommon... blah blah blah...

any ideas... feel like getting out of the kitchen...

Guest chuti98
Can you please explain in a bit more detail as i can't seem to get this to work. Are you supposed to put the exe file in the same folder as the i900tools? I've follwed the instructions to extract but nothing happens!

Thanks

DF :lol:

sorry I just found something wrong

Edited by chuti98

Guest Omnia_1
Geez, I am really behind, I can't seem to get past the BuildOS part. I installed .net 3.5 but, if I click on BuildOS(in the tools folder) it just crashes and ask me to send report to MS. But if I put Build OS in the dump folder, it starts but if I press the run icon, is says it can't find pkgcommon... blah blah blah...

any ideas... feel like getting out of the kitchen...

Move BuildOS and pkgcommon.dll into root of your kitchen and try again, you also need to extract the XIP into modules and use boot.rgu in ROM/XIP folder from your original rom or ported XIP. Oh and you may need to run G'reloc seperately, again I would move this to kitchen root, this tool for relocating all modules in IMGFS and is crucial to cooking ROMs.

Edited by Omnia_1

Guest new2city
Move BuildOS and pkgcommon.dll into root of your kitchen and try again, you also need to extract the XIP into modules and use boot.rgu in ROM/XIP folder from your original rom or ported XIP. Oh and you may need to run G'reloc seperately, again I would move this to kitchen root, this tool for relocating all modules in IMGFS and is crucial to cooking ROMs.

thanks... but still some error

"External component has thrown an exception"

I tried putting buildOS and pkgcommon.dll into the dump folder instead and it is running at the moment.. My question would be, what is the correct location for this?

Edited by new2city

Guest Omnia_1
thanks... but still some error

"External component has thrown an exception"

I tried putting buildOS and pkgcommon.dll into the dump folder instead and it is running at the moment.. My question would be, what is the correct location for this?

root of kitchen

Anyone flashed via SD card yet? This way is very convenient and fast, I havent tried it personally yet but theoretically using the .nb0 should be possible

Edited by Omnia_1

Guest new2city
root of kitchen

Anyone flashed via SD card yet? This way is very convenient and fast, I havent tried it personally yet but theoretically using the .nb0 should be possible

Like I said, it won't run in the root of the kitchen but in the dump folder..

Guest Omnia_1
Like I said, it won't run in the root of the kitchen but in the dump folder..

If it works there use it there, generally though it is used either in root or tools and with pkgcommon.dll and Dump folder is temporary. Someone needs to edit the .bat files and .cmd files to streamline the process.

Kitchen should contain ROM, SYS, OEM, Flash and Tools

Another imperative thing to note is whilst cooking ROMs our User temp folder fills very quickly and there is high possibility of "fail to boot" ROMs and must be cleaned before using BuildOS!

Edited by Omnia_1

Huh, weird, you're the second to report that, but mine works fine...

P

When i build the rom i use the boot.rgu (and i replace rom.tpl with one created through Build Template) that come with Asus Kitchen...is this a possible origin of my problem?

Another question,when i create dump directory i don't find user.hv and default.hv...why?

Guest new2city
If it works there use it there, generally though it is used either in root or tools and with pkgcommon.dll and Dump folder is temporary. Someone needs to edit the .bat files and .cmd files to streamline the process.

Kitchen should contain ROM, SYS, OEM, Flash and Tools

Looks like I should try another XP pc for this. Don't make sense to me.

Sorry Pual Please Give credit for Mr.toto at www.pdamobiz.com who is builded this RK. At my site come out customiza Rom Ready Sir.

Special Thanks for you site we use your ROM For customize also.We gave credit for you and Modaco.com also. Thanks :lol:

Hey Onizza, no problem, i'm gonna do a full how-to post so will make sure you get credit :lol:

P

Thank you so much Pual Please cardit for www.pdamobiz.com sir And this one is Our Customize Rom By Teeh

ROM: OMNIA MOBIZ HI3 THAI CUSTOMIZE ROM FOR I900 Z2EE7_Untitled-2.png

1ZFCE_2008_01_01_19_53_33_0001_111.PNG3C4EB_2008_01_02_08_55_44_0000_111.PNG

CA634_2008_01_01_20_00_53_0004_111.PNG

Pull Out

Auto Update

Transcriber

WelcomeCenter

Samsung Keyboard และ XT9

Power Calculator

GoogleMaps+Google Launcher

RSSReader

ShoZu