The custom ROM how-to discussion thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest GSeeker2

Hi, a new Omnia(i900/i908) ROM kitchen has been released by PDAClan.com ;)

According to PDAClan.com's Oldcat(One of the Top Chefs :D ), this kitchen is better than the P535 one.

Usage

1. put the official roms in Kitchen root dir

2. drag the rom into ExtractROM.cmd, it will extract the rom into folder OEM and SYS, plus a OS.nb file. and XIP file and romhdr.bin will be in the ROM folder.

3. drag OS.nb into BuildROM.cmd, you could start cooking your rom which will be named NewROM.bin

4. use GrandPrix1.5.2 to flash the PDA part(NewROM.bin)

Command List

Extract:

1、i900tool -d i90X.EXE

2、viewbin -d flash.bin

3、osnbtool -sp flash.nb0

4、osnbtool -d os.nb 1 XIP.bin

5、osnbtool -d os.nb 2 Imgfs.bin

6、imgfstodump imgfs.bin

7、dump xip.bin

8、pkgtool dump

Build:

1、BuildOS

2、G'Reloc -doit -dump

3、ImgfsFromDump imgfs.src imgfs.new

4、osnbtool -c OS.nb 2 imgfs.new

6、osnbtool -extra OS.nb.NEW

6、osnbtool -2bin OS.nb.NEW.EXA (OS.nb.NEW.EXA.bin=NewROM.bin)

7、i900tool -i i90x.exe os.new.exa.bin

Good Luck guys! :o

Update: OMG! I forgot the file, my bad :lol:

Password:

PDAclan.com

Samsung_i90X_ROM_Kitchen.rar

Edited by GSeeker2

Thanks for the update GSeeker2. Have you tried it out yet? Does it solve the dismounted "My Storage" problem?

I'll probably try it later tonight... Forumla1's starting in a while. F1 > ROM cooking :lol:

Guest GSeeker2
Thanks for the update GSeeker2. Have you tried it out yet? Does it solve the dismounted "My Storage" problem?

I'll probably try it later tonight... Forumla1's starting in a while. F1 > ROM cooking :lol:

No, i haven't tested it because i'm a pure noob :D

Guest GSeeker2
Hi Paul,

DTHJ5 uploaded. I'm waiting for the fresh/tiny rom too :lol:

It would be wonderful if you can pack all the removed app to .cab :D

Thanks a lot.

Hi Hi Hi Ken! Great! ;) :o :P

Thank you!

According to PDAClan.com's Oldcat(One of the Top Chefs :lol: ), this kitchen is better than the P535 one.

It seems you loose something in the process with the P535 kitchen, probabibily because of BuildOs.com.

Guest starflare04
If anyone wants to play with my custom DXHJ1 ROM, which features:

- CF2 out, CF3.5 in

- Batti in

- AppToDate in

- Windows Update out

- Welcome Center out

- Shozu out

- Some other unnecessary files out

- Optimisations to file sizes

- 101.46MB TOTAL STORAGE

then check out the link below (PDA part, for flashing via Grand Prix after flashing the full DXHJ1 update).

Note that streaming player is broken until we can extract the DXHJ1 CSC file.

This is more for curiosity really, it's what i'm using until I get the new HJ5 ROM from Secany.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dhrgwtznkwm

Enjoy!

P

PS Thanks to mrtoto (@ pdamobiz?), everyone else who made this possible especially secany for working tirelessly to bring the latest updates to Omnia users!

Hello Paul,

I have been playing around with your custom rom and i dont know if this a problem from the rom or something i installed, everytime i record a video and i want to see it on the review screen(built in player on camera), the application just crash and returns to today screen, the video is playing fine when i use core player.

Hope this is not from the custom rom HJ1, but if its please consider it for the too much anticipated custom HJ5 rom.

Eagerly awating for being a guinea pig for HJ5 rom.

=P

No, i haven't tested it because i'm a pure noob :lol:

Hey GSeeker2, IT WORKS!! Flashed my custom HJ1 ROM and everything working so far. I had to make a few adjustments to the batch files but the most important thing is that it works. So props to OldCat and all those involved at PDAClan.

Hopefully I can come out with a ROM for public release soon after I try with the latest HJ5 from secany.

Edit: @Paul, are you doing a clean ROM, if yes, I'll probably do a Manila2D or ThrottleLauncher version. Also I suggest using the kitchen GSeeker2 posted, seems more stable. I also had some problems with your ROM where after rotation the startmenu disappears and doesn't appear until I go to the program or settings folders. So it may be a problem with the Asus kitchen.

Edited by PaSSoA

Guest markkohfm

To whoever is cooking a ROM, please please do a first version that is a really clean ROM. Thank you so much in advance. I am sure there will be a lot out there who would appreciate it.

Guest GSeeker2
Hey GSeeker2, IT WORKS!! Flashed my custom HJ1 ROM and everything working so far. I had to make a few adjustments to the batch files but the most important thing is that it works. So props to OldCat and all those involved at PDAClan.

Hopefully I can come out with a ROM for public release soon after I try with the latest HJ5 from secany.

Edit: @Paul, are you doing a clean ROM, if yes, I'll probably do a Manila2D or ThrottleLauncher version. Also I suggest using the kitchen GSeeker2 posted, seems more stable. I also had some problems with your ROM where after rotation the startmenu disappears and doesn't appear until I go to the program or settings folders. So it may be a problem with the Asus kitchen.

Thanks for your test, PaSSoA! Looking forwards to your cooked roms. :lol:

Guest mrbeanicb
The process!

- Download P535 kitchen linked above

- Download DXHJ1 update (for example) and add .bin to filename

- Run NB0_Kitchen.exe, select BIN file, and NB0 will be extracted

- Click button to create IMGFS, this will give you your dump directory

- Use Pkgtool to change dump to packages

- Modify as desired

- Use BuildOS to change packages back to dump

- Use the Build NB0 button to build your NB0 and BIN files

- Flash BIN using PDA button in GrandPrix

In a nutshell, simple as that! :lol:

P

Hi Paul!

Could you make a detail tutorial please, I'm a newbie so i didn't understand what you have done.

So i want to know alot of things:

What are requirements to use that Tools

How to use PKgtool?

How to modify the content of ROM

How to build in and get out some thing in our rom

I've extracted The DXHJ1 and i have Dump folder, alot of things in this folder and i don't know what are they.

Help me please!

Guest AKOYLINI
Hi, a new Omnia(i900/i908) ROM kitchen has been released by PDAClan.com ;)

According to PDAClan.com's Oldcat(One of the Top Chefs :D ), this kitchen is better than the P535 one.

Usage

1. put the official roms in Kitchen root dir

2. drag the rom into ExtractROM.cmd, it will extract the rom into folder OEM and SYS, plus a OS.nb file. and XIP file and romhdr.bin will be in the ROM folder.

3. drag OS.nb into BuildROM.cmd, you could start cooking your rom which will be named NewROM.bin

4. use GrandPrix1.5.2 to flash the PDA part(NewROM.bin)

Command List

Extract:

1、i900tool -d i90X.EXE

2、viewbin -d flash.bin

3、osnbtool -sp flash.nb0

4、osnbtool -d os.nb 1 XIP.bin

5、osnbtool -d os.nb 2 Imgfs.bin

6、imgfstodump imgfs.bin

7、dump xip.bin

8、pkgtool dump

Build:

1、BuildOS

2、G'Reloc -doit -dump

3、ImgfsFromDump imgfs.src imgfs.new

4、osnbtool -c OS.nb 2 imgfs.new

6、osnbtool -extra OS.nb.NEW

6、osnbtool -2bin OS.nb.NEW.EXA (OS.nb.NEW.EXA.bin=NewROM.bin)

7、i900tool -i i90x.exe os.new.exa.bin

Good Luck guys! :o

Update: OMG! I forgot the file, my bad :lol:

Password:

PDAclan.com

hello,so when i try to drag rom to extractrom.cmd i take this error

ERROR - Can not open the source file

╒²╘┌╖╓╜έImgfs▓┐╖╓......

╒²╘┌╖╓╜έXIP▓┐╖╓......

'dump' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

╒²╘┌╖╓╜έOEMκλSYS......

The system cannot find the file specified.

╒²╘┌╟ί└Ί╢ω╙ω╬─╝■......

Could Not Find C:\Users\akoylini\Desktop\Samsung_i90X_ROM_Kitchen\Tools\imgfs.bi

n

Could Not Find C:\Users\akoylini\Desktop\Samsung_i90X_ROM_Kitchen\Tools\XIP.bin

╦∙╙╨ROM╬─╝■╥╤╛φ╠ά╚κ╖╓╜έ═Ά▒╧μυ╟Έ

Hi people. I modified a bit of the paths in the batch files as it points to different file names and also translated a few of the dialogs to english so you what's happening.

There are 5 files inside.

1) Usage.txt are the instructions GSeeker2 mentioned in an earlier post, I copied & pasted it in case anyone missed it. Thanks GSeeker2 :lol:

2) Copy the new i900tool.exe to the TOOLS folder. You may want to overwrite or backup the old file, your choice.

3) If you have an *.exe updater, eg. i900DXHJ1.exe then drag and drop the file to ExtractROM_exe.cmd **Do not open it directly or you will have error messages.**

4) If you have a *.bin file, eg. PDA_i900DTHJ5.bin like the new version secany uploaded, then drag and drop the file to ExtractROM_bin.cmd **Once again, do not open it directly or you will have error messages**

5) Once you finish modifying or adding your package/apps to the OEM/SYS folders, drag and drop os.nb (found in the root dir) to BuildROM.cmd

After waiting a while (I'm still on a Pentium4 <_< ) you will find NewROM.bin in the root dir which you can flash with grandprix, but only the pda portion, or run i900tool to pack it in a *.exe updater.

Anyway there's a sneek peek of my not-so-light "DTHJ5 Lite Version" here... Night...

i900kitch_edt_cmd.zip

Edited by PaSSoA

With this tools is not necessary to edit hive files and initflashfiles.dat?

Because i try to cook my rom with the PDAclan tools,i remove google maps and relative DLL and widgets,but when i build the new rom and flash it in windows directory i find a files named "Copy of xxxxxxx" where xxxxxxx are the files that i deleted before...Anyone have an idea why there are these files? :lol:

Have you edited the .rgu files? They contain registry settings for the programs, you cannot just delete the file and related .dll or it will still point to a non-existent program. It's pretty hard work, that's why nobody, me including, are willing to do a "clean" ROM. It takes to much effort and time, but we'll see... :lol:

I don't edit rgu files because i don't find them.

Well i extract PDA.bin from exe updater with ExtractROM_exe.cmd,i obtain OEM and SYS folders (no rgu files in this folders),from these i remove files and rebuild with BuildROM.cmd then i flash the bin file.

I forget or wrong something?

Anyone can post a little complete guide to cook with this tools?

Guest Pille69
Hello Paul,

I have been playing around with your custom rom and i dont know if this a problem from the rom or something i installed, everytime i record a video and i want to see it on the review screen(built in player on camera), the application just crash and returns to today screen, the video is playing fine when i use core player.

Hope this is not from the custom rom HJ1, but if its please consider it for the too much anticipated custom HJ5 rom.

Eagerly awating for being a guinea pig for HJ5 rom.

=P

plz advice how to get that

- CF2 out, CF3.5 in

- Batti in

- AppToDate in

- Windows Update out

- Welcome Center out

- Shozu out

- Some other unnecessary files out

- Optimisations to file sizes

- 101.46MB TOTAL STORAGE

Guest new2city
I don't edit rgu files because i don't find them.

Well i extract PDA.bin from exe updater with ExtractROM_exe.cmd,i obtain OEM and SYS folders (no rgu files in this folders),from these i remove files and rebuild with BuildROM.cmd then i flash the bin file.

I forget or wrong something?

Anyone can post a little complete guide to cook with this tools?

there are a few guides at xda-developers, I am also looking at one of them, just picked one. i think it should be applicable here, especially, the part where we remove apps and add in apps.

BTW, there are a few rgu files in the oem and sys, you can't see them because your window explorer is set to hide these files. ..

It's pretty easy to check out the rgu files which are essential text files, but it takes a lot of effort to search and remove..

Have fun..

Ok problem solved: i don't remove the option on XP to hide system files... :lol:

I have another problem,i converted default.hv to default.rgu and edit with notepad2 (on first line i added REGEDIT4 and add an empty line ad the of file,saved in UNICODE) but when i try to rebuild to .hv through rgucomp -b command i receive an error on this line:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\JaguarGSP1\Parms\TcpIp]

I don't change nothing i simply try to rebuild original default.hv...

Guest famonaco
hello,so when i try to drag rom to extractrom.cmd i take this error

ERROR - Can not open the source file

╒²╘┌╖╓╜έImgfs▓┐╖╓......

╒²╘┌╖╓╜έXIP▓┐╖╓......

'dump' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

╒²╘┌╖╓╜έOEMκλSYS......

╒²╘┌╟ί└Ί╢ω╙ω╬─╝■......

Could Not Find C:\Users\akoylini\Desktop\Samsung_i90X_ROM_Kitchen\Tools\imgfs.bi

n

Could Not Find C:\Users\akoylini\Desktop\Samsung_i90X_ROM_Kitchen\Tools\XIP.bin

╦∙╙╨ROM╬─╝■╥╤╛φ╠ά╚κ╖╓╜έ═Ά▒╧μυ╟Έ

Guest fenomeno83

is it possibile make an image of own main memory storage?

fro example, if I have some programs and setting into main memory, is it possibile make an image and reflash it?

I have another problem,i converted default.hv to default.rgu and edit with notepad2 (on first line i added REGEDIT4 and add an empty line ad the of file,saved in UNICODE) but when i try to rebuild to .hv through rgucomp -b command i receive an error on this line:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\JaguarGSP1\Parms\TcpIp]

I don't change nothing i simply try to rebuild original default.hv...

I have the same problem, but with russian firmware.

Edited by 'CJ'

Guest datafanatic
some problem

If you are using a .bin file (such as Secany's latest DTHJ5.bin) you must rename the file to PDA (eg PDA_i900DTHJ5 becomes PDA). Then it will work.

If you are using the Extract_exe prompt, you do not have to rename anything.

Laterz

DF :lol: