_Now_ I'm pissed -- Omnia battery died while charging via USB (?!?!)

Guest FlorianO

Guest conocelo
Hi there. i also want to charge my Omnia with my baterry pack. i will buy the second AC charger. i already have some USB cable.

You say that the AC charger only has 2 wires..... to witch wires on the USB (donor) cable i have to connect them.?

thanks

Ok finally i have the cable. i bought a second wall charger. and a donor USB cable. in the part of the USB cable was easy red + and BLack - 5V

But in the omnia charger was totally diferent !!!!! RED - is negative, and WHITE + is positive. contrary of logics.... i have a multimeter so i check it before doing anything. If you go by logics you will fry de omnia.

Does anyone know of a fix for this issue or a car charger that actually charges the Omnia while using GPS? It's a critical issue for me and if there is no solution then it's goodnight to my Omnia :(

Guest rammy121

o.k. here’s my six pence worth. I don’t normally post. Anyway, SHORT version….

Either get the drivers for a samsung phone that uses the same cable (http://uk.samsungmobile.com/supports/configure-phone-setting-wap.do) or uninstall activesync, then download from Microsoft their version. It will seem to be the same as you have already.

LONG version….

I’m using an omnia out of the box from t-mobile in the u.k. now about a month old. I had never sync’ed it before, waiting for don’t know what. It was always charge using a retractable “dumb” usb cable. Worked a dream. Then I let it run down and plugged in the intelligent u.s.b. cable that I bought from e-bay. The phone would not charge for love nor money. Spent hours on it. I didn’t have the dumb u.s.b. cable with me, so in the middle of the night I took the phone to the car (yes, I play with my phone at night and silly replies ;-)) and used the car charger connected to the intelligent cable. This seemed to literally ram some current/power etc. into the phone. I let it charge for about five minutes. Then I went in to the house and plugged it in to the laptop, seemed to work but then after a few minutes, it went dead. Then after playing around with power settings, it was still doing the same. I discovered that if plug it into the u.s.b. socket and hold down the reset button, it does charge. Anyway, I tried things like making it a usb drive, seemed to work for a while then rebooted and same as b4. cut a long story short, went to a Samsung mobile site and tried to get the u.s.b. drivers for it, none for the Samsung but got some other ones. Installed them on to an Xp (I had been using a w2k and xp previously, just to test) machine. There was also a copy of activesync there that I downloaded and re-installed on to the xp machine. Ta da….seemed to work. now was it the drivers or the activesynch…or both?? So I went to the w2k machine and installed the driver there….ta da problem seemed to be solved. Still not convinced, I went to an XP desktop without activesync. Installed the latest from Microsoft and b.t.w. in the “help about” on all of the activesyncs, it was the same version. So on the desktop p.c. running Xp and the latest download of activesync…it worked!! Charges properly and synchronises. I think if you just (I hate it when people say “if you just…” because it never works that way) remove your active sync and download and reinstall, it may work. the phone charges reasonably fast, never gets to green but says 100% . as for the cables, I tested with the ones ending in ube and bbe. It maybe that everyone is using an activesync that they used from ages ago, with a previous device. Maybe at the time drivers or “something” were not available for the omnia. As for draining the battery completely and then charging it, I’m trying it now. So it’s a long sixpence worth but it worked for me. Got any questions, just ask.

Rammy.

• 3 months later...
Guest spsingh

Dear Friends

Two days before I had also Purchased a new Samsung Omnia I900. And i Also Faced the same problem of USB charging.

The battery STARTED discharging when connected to PC via usb.

But I have solved this problem 100%.

The problem is with the USB wire that comes with omnia. Its is faulty one. My usb Wire that comes with omnia has model no APCBS10UBE AND S/N RT2Q703KS G.

I have replaced the above wire with the wire that comes with SAMSUNG SGH I450 and its model no is APCBS10BBE AND S/N SJ2Q730BS G

I CONNECTED OMNIA TO MY PC IN ACTIVE SYSC MODE AND THE BATTERY STATUS WAS 10-15% CHARGED. I Had LFET THE PHONE FOR FEW HOURS AND AFTER THAT I CHECKED IT WAS 100% CHARGED.

SO THE PROBLEM WAS WITH THE USB DATA CABLE THAT WAS SUPPLIED WITH OMNIA. JUST REPLACED IT.

BYE

SPSINGH

INDIA

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rammy121
Dear Friends

Two days before I had also Purchased a new Samsung Omnia I900. And i Also Faced the same problem of USB charging.

The battery STARTED discharging when connected to PC via usb.

But I have solved this problem 100%.

The problem is with the USB wire that comes with omnia. Its is faulty one. My usb Wire that comes with omnia has model no APCBS10UBE AND S/N RT2Q703KS G.

I have replaced the above wire with the wire that comes with SAMSUNG SGH I450 and its model no is APCBS10BBE AND S/N SJ2Q730BS G

I CONNECTED OMNIA TO MY PC IN ACTIVE SYSC MODE AND THE BATTERY STATUS WAS 10-15% CHARGED. I Had LFET THE PHONE FOR FEW HOURS AND AFTER THAT I CHECKED IT WAS 100% CHARGED.

SO THE PROBLEM WAS WITH THE USB DATA CABLE THAT WAS SUPPLIED WITH OMNIA. JUST REPLACED IT.

BYE

SPSINGH

INDIA

...but what if the phone is dead? you're right about the cable though, i had te same thing eventually.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest mike_m4a1

USB uses 5V...400mA.... omnia battery needs 5V ,,,,1600-2300 different of battery... with those 400 mA you will nether get the 1000mA ..not speaking of 1600....turning of display in standby may help... but not for long..,in 6.5 beta mine is charging now ethen with dead battery..just try to turn him on in an interbal of 5 min :) may help