Android on i900?

Guest us1111

Guest bpivk
Ahh crap. I'm going to get a Ubuntu sesh sorted soon and see how far I can get before I encounter a serious error... but any idea on what the issue with the keyboard drivers is? I think the thread on XDA seemed to indicate that they couldn't map GPIO's to inputs on the phone... but I figured that that was because of the complexities of mapping touchscreen inputs without a visual keyboard on the screen? Or am I totally offtrack...

No i think that this is the main problem. They just need to overcome the input issue and then they're half way there (well another matter is the phone issue but first thing first). I just don't expect to see android on our phones untill Samsung puts one on a similar phone. And then (maybe) they'll be able to port the drivers to Omnia.

Edited by bpivk

Guest kramer65

ALRIGHT! I decided I really really want android on my Omnia. But since I cannot script I thought of setting up something were we can get some money together for the great developer that is able to port Android to the Omnia.

This is why I put up the following website: www.AndroidOmnia.com

As promised above in this thread I chipped in €100 ($132.43 at this moment) to give it a start. Anybody who wants Android on the Omnia please chip in your money there and I hope the developer who is able to do it quickly claims his prize!

Please also spread the word about this website so that we can get as much money together as possible!

Guest Zeski
ALRIGHT! I decided I really really want android on my Omnia. But since I cannot script I thought of setting up something were we can get some money together for the great developer that is able to port Android to the Omnia.

This is why I put up the following website: www.AndroidOmnia.com

As promised above in this thread I chipped in €100 ($132.43 at this moment) to give it a start. Anybody who wants Android on the Omnia please chip in your money there and I hope the developer who is able to do it quickly claims his prize!

Please also spread the word about this website so that we can get as much money together as possible!

Wow, you're a legend mate!

Might be worth adding this to your list of links on that website - http://www.kandroid.org/android_pdk/index.html

It's a porting How To for the Omnia.

Guest kramer65

@ZtF

Thanks for the first donation! I hope many more will follow!

@Zeski

Thanks for the link. I immediately added it to the list of links!

So again, check www.androidomnia.com and contribute all you can.. :excl:

Oh, one more thing. I just saw that the paypal website to which the AndroidOmnia website is linked was in Dutch (since I live in the Netherlands and the account I made is automatically made in Dutch). It is now changed to English though. I hope this gets more people to contribute as well! :excl:

Edited by kramer65

Guest MrCRB

$10 for now. Surely more at the end again :excl: (If Android is half or fully functioning on Omnia i900.)

But I guess we all have to wait till Samsung develops a new Android device based on (future) Omnia Line. It's much harder without hardware specs to port Android to Omnia :excl:

Guest bmn4711

Valiant effort guys. I stumbled it (www.androidomnia.com), in the hopes of giving this project more exposure - so if you use stumbleupon - go there and give it a thumbs up. Awesome.

Guest kramer65

@ bmn4711

Thanks for stumbling it. I'm not a member of it, but I had a search on the site and couldn't find it. Do you h ave a link where it is posted?

@flibio

Slowly more people are contributing money for the Android Omnia cause. I initially had some trouble with paypal because they only displayed the contribution page in Dutch. I now sorted that out and awaiting more contributions. I really want to get at least a $1000 or so to give Developers really an incentive. I also want to get the word out to developers, but I don't really know how other than posting in these kind of forums..

Any ideas?

Edited by kramer65

Guest vinbeaver

Yeah, if we definitely get some steam rolling here I'd be more than happy to pony up some cash.

Edited by vinbeaver

Guest GoldenSpartan
LOL :excl: .

Here we go AGAIN, Omnia owners. Wondering why we still keep chasing after HTC, iphone, and now Android..maybe next one is Symbian, LOL.

I guess if iphone 3G has 3.2mpixel with a good flash, video recording, external memory, real turn by turn nav sw and a larger battery then I would no doubt hold one now BUT..or if..HTC Touch Diamond had a 3.2 or larger VGA screen, external memory and a good camera flash then I would no doubt have one now BUT..or if N96 had..blah blah..or if Gphone had..

Anyway I am happy with the Omnia because it is decent and stylish enough, plus not too slow or too fast, not too small or too big, not too crappy or too good display resolution BUT it got real potential and with auto focus and other camera/video goodies, a 16GB internal and up to 16GB external (or 8) storage: can't really complain about that.

ENJOY your Omnia :excl:

bye now zZz..

Nice. lol :excl: Maybe some day we could have the best of all worlds. A phone with the best interface, best camera, best memory so on and so on.

Guest maf107ezk0

The money isn`t that much of a problem - the biggest problem is to find a DEVELOPER to develop :lol: I think if someone agrees to do the job MUCH more money will be donated :D

Guest flibio
I dont belive that we will found a man who will develop OS just for Omnia..

I do believe, since it is not beginning from scratch, but porting an existing OS to this hardware... as said before in this thread, the dificulty is in the drivers for the various parts, but now that Samsung anounced a new device with Android, soon developers will have a better way to at least port the drivers of these new device to omnia...

I'm hoping to buy my i900 this month... if so, i'll try to help in any way I can, although i still don't know nothing about android and cel phone programing...

Edited by flibio

Guest eugene.d.fourie

I'd like to say - great effort firstly.

I cannot contribute due to a lack of expertise. However - I was wondering if the launch of the Samsung i7500 will help this project at all, as this is a touch screen phone with Android OS.