Android on i900?

Guest us1111

Guest joža

samsung launched model with android so there shouldn't be much problem anymore for porting. i know my cousin used to make OS for siemens mobile phones when they existed sun years ago xD

but he said that omnia is tottaly different-it's more like PC but with funny hardware that makes porting os pain in the ass. Most limitating thing is the way it flashes ROM so if it doesn't work first time you have 400€ worth black box. but i would love to see androit on omnia :D

Guest dwaino86

Hey guys,

Been keeping an eye on this thread for a while now, and just made a donation.

Keep up the good work, and let us know as soon as you know anything! Very excited...

Guest dwaino86

Is anyone able to confirm that someone/anyone is actually giving this a real go? (assumedly making use of the new Samsung Android phone software/drivers etc)

I'd hate if a whole bunch of users were dreaming, waiting and donating - but no one out there is gonna make it happen!! ...

Guest gayflag

This whole thread makes me think of a a big group of guys talkin about cell phones at a party. Then the next morning, they all remember NOTHING :D.

It is now the following morning. Everybody has gone to work and all but forgotten of android on the omnia. But somewhere, there is $350 in an empty beer keg.

Guest Akshay_LP

This whole thread makes me think of a a big group of guys talkin about cell phones at a party. Then the next morning, they all remember NOTHING biggrin.gif.

It is now the following morning. Everybody has gone to work and all but forgotten of android on the omnia. But somewhere, there is $350 in an empty beer keg.

[\QUOTE]

lol, yeah, pretty much. I guess the android scene for the omnia is dieing since noone is interested for developing it anymore, because usually people do it for free, no no one's doing it for money aswell. I would so LOVE android on my omnia, but I guess thats that and thats that.

Guest yobikap

There is new android OS available, Android Cupcake, it supports now 400 by 240 screen resolution, maybe it will now be easier to port android to Omnia, as they included new drivers in the OS.

Guest FeLLa_

i'm still workin' on this project with a developer from the xda-developers...

we have several problems with the display (wrong clock so the kernel boot process burned into the display for frew minutes)...

the kernel runs ok so if we found out the right display config we could begin to integrate usb/wireless/bluetooth/touchscreen drivers to the kernel...

any ideas are welcome :D

sorry for my english :lol:

FeLLa

Edited by FeLLa_

Guest dwaino86

ok - thats good to hear! I'm sure there are heaps of people who will want Android on their Omnia, and if it does, word will get around and even more will want it.

Once complete - i think the developers could require a small paypal donation for anyone who has not already contributed...

Keep donating people!! http://www.androidomnia.com/

Edited by dwaino86

Guest Gibeon

I'm pretty sure some people will chip in some more after it's all finished! I already donated, but when they have everything working I'll double my amount :D

Guest whiplash000
Unless you cut deals with some hardware companies, no one will give you the drivers for Linux for free...

Of course. That's the challenge. Right now the name of the game is reverse-engineering the Omnia. Once we get drivers suited to the Omnia's hardware, we can easily get Android running. That's what's holding the project back right now. That and a lack of interest among developers. I'm giving it my best shot, but I'm relatively inexperienced. I'm using this as a learning experience for myself, and my Omnia is about to eat concrete if it crashes due to WM one more time...

Guest FeLLa_

when i was looking at the block diagram in the leaked specifications pdf i saw that most of the chipsets are in the 2.6.29/2.6.30 kernel supported.

i think we only have to rebuild 10-30 percent of the drivers. the problem is the wifi/bluetooth chip and the display itself (not the touch panel!)

i fixed a few display bugs today but theres still the pixclock problem!

step by step...

Guest cobrica
when i was looking at the block diagram in the leaked specifications pdf i saw that most of the chipsets are in the 2.6.29/2.6.30 kernel supported.

i think we only have to rebuild 10-30 percent of the drivers. the problem is the wifi/bluetooth chip and the display itself (not the touch panel!)

i fixed a few display bugs today but theres still the pixclock problem!

step by step...

Dude can you post some screenshoots?

Guest dwaino86
That and a lack of interest among developers.

Why is there such a lack of interest among developers? i would have thought interest would be generated by many people asking/wanting it ... which there are.

I want Android so bad! Im starting to get used to Winmo, but i really want a touch-friendly, open-source OS.

Question: will the Omnia's unusual screen resolution be much of a stumbling block for Android apps?

Guest whiplash000

@dwaino86 Screen resolution shouldn't be a problem. The OS was designed to work on devices of all shapes and sizes from tiny phones to full-sized netbooks

Windows mobile is driving me crazy. My phone crashed for the 4th time today (WMP froze in the middle of a song because IT FELT LIKE IT) and I'm... fiercely resisting the urge to make the phone eat concrete. At least with Android I'll have the power to find out why it crashes.

Guest dwaino86
@dwaino86 Screen resolution shouldn't be a problem. The OS was designed to work on devices of all shapes and sizes from tiny phones to full-sized netbooks

Ok thats good. i was more wondering, will MOST of the apps written be written for a standard resolution, and have to be modded for the Omnia? Or will it be really easy/non issue?

Guest FeLLa_

ok i fixed the display issues last night... it works fine now!

busybox is running, too. next step is to activate the rcS script.

i created the /etc/init.d/rcS file with the content

#! /bin/sh

echo hello

and made the initrd.gz file...

but when i run the kernel it says /etc/init.d/rcS no such file or directory!

working on this problem now

Guest flinter

I'm starting to love this FeLLa_

I have no idea what your saying with that codes. But I think its a step in the right direction. Gogo grab the 1st price Kramer is giving away /

Guest Akshay_LP

Hooray for development and people like you!

I, like many, don't understand what you're saying but I'm sure its a step in the right direction!

Hoping for android on our omnias one day, take your time though.

Ak