The official Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest fuzzmo
Can do a video review... let me know what you'd like to see :D

P

Well first a physical side by side comparison with the Omnia (and Touch Pro etc.) (yup that screen issue with me - lol!)

And something different I guess i.e. some third party apps installed on the phone - do they have any issues with screen stc. and how well do they run. And of course video playback :lol: Oh and the web browser, how responsive etc....

Having played with my bro-in-laws Diamond (having reflashed etc. to make it usable for him!) I don't think I can go back to a 'low-res' screen - the screen on the Diamond is just brilliant and by all accounts so is the X1...

Edited by fuzzmo

Guest xiuhan83

This device looks awesome,

Few inquiries though,

1. How is the battery life?

2. Is there like some sort of a touch flow? Is it smooth?

3. How is the camera quality?

4. How is the sound quality? Is it clear and loud?

Thanks

Hi Paul,

I've been a long time MoDaCo user since the days of my ol' MPx200. Learned so much about that phone on these forums. Anyways, I post today in regards to the Xperia X1 and us North American users trying to get the X1i (EU version) and use it here before the X1a's release (we would also not be affected by the CPU change from 7200A to 7201A - a.k.a. the crippled QVGA video recording due to the Broadcom suit).

Anyways, the main thing I am trying to get is a confirmation (screenshots, or in your video review would be GREAT!) of the final UMTS/3G bands on your X1i. As I understand it, the X1i was not supposed to have support for the 850mhz 3G band, and a lot of AT&T users would require this to get 3G. I'm actually on the Rogers/Fido network here in Canada which apparently supports the 850 and 1900mhz bands, but soon might be cut down to only 850mhz. This is why it is crucial that I discover which UMTS bands the X1i supports. I believe UMTS 850mhz is also known as UMTS band V (5).

If you could, please confirm via screenies or video, the CPU (from the About screen), the Model No. (from the Device Information screen), and the Band selections (from the Settings/Phone/Band (tab) screen).

I have been seriously dying for this phone since February, and living in Canada makes it a bit tougher to get these phones ahead of time, and assure that they will fully work on our networks here.

My infinite thanks if you can toss this in your review!

- George

Edited by scar45

Guest Wizzstar

Will the Xperia X1 work on T-Mobile's USA 3g 1700/2100 MHz UMTS network?

Has anybody tested the SlingBox with the Xperia X1?

Edited by Wizzstar

Guest Paul (MVP)
This device looks awesome,

Few inquiries though,

1. How is the battery life?

2. Is there like some sort of a touch flow? Is it smooth?

3. How is the camera quality?

4. How is the sound quality? Is it clear and loud?

Thanks

1. Too early to say, will report on this as time passes.

2. Do you mean the kinetic scrolling? If so, yes, it's smooth!

3. Seems OK, will take some sample shots today!

4. Yes.

P

Guest penguin

Paul i know there's no accelerometer to swap the screen orientation is there a hardware button to swap the orientation on this model like there was on the older prototypes?

Guest Marijnacht

Can you show/tell (Maybe in a video) how the SPB MS2 panel works on this device.

I use MS2 on my current device and think it's the best shell for windows mobile.

Thanks!

Guest Chris Moore
Can do a video review... let me know what you'd like to see :lol:

Hi,

this may seem like a strange request, but I have a K850i and primarily want a phone for phone calls and SMS.... So would it be possible to see how well the X1 can handle being a phone and sending texts?

I realise there is a lovely interface for most PDA features but often I see it drop back to a standard Windows interface for phone and text features, which to be honest doesn't look to have advanced from when I bough my X50V from Dell.

Always been sceptical of Windows phones with the thought that its a PDA with a bolt on phone application as an after thought. This could be a fall back to the early Winmo phones that a lot of people I know rushed out to get and then dumped, so will be very happy to be corrected on this.

Thanks,

Chris.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hi,

this may seem like a strange request, but I have a K850i and primarily want a phone for phone calls and SMS.... So would it be possible to see how well the X1 can handle being a phone and sending texts?

I realise there is a lovely interface for most PDA features but often I see it drop back to a standard Windows interface for phone and text features, which to be honest doesn't look to have advanced from when I bough my X50V from Dell.

Always been sceptical of Windows phones with the thought that its a PDA with a bolt on phone application as an after thought. This could be a fall back to the early Winmo phones that a lot of people I know rushed out to get and then dumped, so will be very happy to be corrected on this.

Thanks,

Chris.

The phone UI is sexed up a bit (an I personally have always found phoning on WinMo since you have the smart-dial absolutely fine) but for SMS, yeah, you'll drop back to WinMo itself... less of an issue when you have a QWERTY tho I suspect?

P

Guest penguin
The phone UI is sexed up a bit (an I personally have always found phoning on WinMo since you have the smart-dial absolutely fine) but for SMS, yeah, you'll drop back to WinMo itself... less of an issue when you have a QWERTY tho I suspect?

P

I guess it's possible to install a new on screen keyboard from xda or touchpal? if your that way inclined of course.

Guest m00nlighter

Hi,

Can you test the audio quality using that long-awaited 3.5 mm audio jack and a pair of good headphones?

Thorough audio performance testing would also be a VERY nice addition - and please please do some RMAA tests!

IMHO, a good example can be found here:

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-5800-2-en.shtml

(Check the Music department section) 

P.S. Will you do a comprehensive review of the SEX1 ? If yes, then when it's going to be published at MoDaCo?

P.P.S. Please excuse my poor English - I'm not a native speaker.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.