WE CAN NOW COOK CUSTOM ROMS! What do we want in / out?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest GSeeker2
I am going to release 2 ROMs based on the Australian HJ5 (when Secany posts), my personal ROM (with a few pointless bits removed, some bits updated, but fairly stock) and also an ultra-lite ROM with a whole ton of stuff abstracted to CAB files (including Windows Live, Transcriber, Shozu, various Samsung apps, Google Maps, Opera etc. etc.)

P

Great! Can't wait! :lol:

Ok, what I've done so far in a bid for a "cleaner" ROM.

Files I removed: Welcome Center, Windows Live (i don't use it), Samsung Widget, Digital Frame, FM Radio, Podcasts, RssReader, Shozu, Taskswitcher.

So far, everything seems fine, only some hardcoded shortcuts in Samsung Today 1 & 2 which still points to the programs, looks like I'll remove them as well.

Leaves me with Free 65MB Storage and Free 60MB Program. Will update as I go along.

How do listen radio without FM Radio ? :lol:

I am going to release 2 ROMs based on the Australian HJ5 (when Secany posts), my personal ROM (with a few pointless bits removed, some bits updated, but fairly stock) and also an ultra-lite ROM with a whole ton of stuff abstracted to CAB files (including Windows Live, Transcriber, Shozu, various Samsung apps, Google Maps, Opera etc. etc.)

P

I can't wait to test (taste) your ultra rom. :lol:

Thanks PAUL

Edited by Paul (MVP)

How do listen radio without FM Radio ? :lol:

You don't :D

@Paul, btw, something I just noticed, not too sure if its caused by my most recent build but "My Storage" has disappeared, of course with the HJ1 .exe updater it's there, but I can't remember if it was there when I just rebuilt without any mods during testing.

Could you check to see if your build had "My Storage". Thanks in advanced.

Guest kslakhani

i would like to try the ultra lite version.

and would also be appreciated if you fix few bugs like voice command over BT, Touch player EQ without Samsungs headfones, screen sensitivity etc etc

And of course performance tweaked includes battery

Good luck :lol:

Guest lastnikita

Could you please also remove samsung keyboards ? I think they take MUCH space, and I only use touchpal or pcmkeyboard..

Nice to finaly see some custom rom coming up.... Did you already test one of them on a real device ?

will be nice the new ROM i believe. One thing would be fine in my eyes since I can't change it and couldn't find the answer for it.

How about "moving the My Documents" to "My Storage" so the main space remains really just for programs and nothing else like music and pics. This would be I thing very great feature in the new ROM if possible.

And thank you for your great work here Paul!

Guest robertut

My suggestion: a clean rom, but all the apps should be kept in, which are there to support the samsung hardware. That means camera, fm radio, and the others.

how about a slim rom? anything that can be remove will be removed, and the removed apps will be available via cabs?

I agree with you a Minimalistic ROM is what we need.

Regards

Guest Quist09
Could you please also remove samsung keyboards ? I think they take MUCH space, and I only use touchpal or pcmkeyboard..

Nice to finaly see some custom rom coming up.... Did you already test one of them on a real device ?

A large part of the international Omnia community is able to enjoy the latest English ROMs thanks to the fact that the Samsung keyboard and XT9 system is provided in their language. It would be a mistake to force this massive potential cooked rom user group to buy the likes of Resco, touchpal or the others and then install some additional form of XT9 system to make it work. IMHO.

Otherwise I agree with the general mood to cook a slimmed down ROM and make the parts removed available in cab files. If this could be done for the XT9 system, great.

I'd definitely jump at a ROM that would let me try out Opera with properly working flash presentation.

Something that hasnt been mentioned, if possible can the annoying clicking sound when scrolling be removed? That alone will make any cooked rom worth it. Thanks :lol:

Edited by efjay

Perhaps Symbian is a better choice for you :lol:

Appreciate the joke but really I need to install some nice programs ans use them intensively in work, e.g. Agenda fusion, Inesoft dialer , and some other Arabic programs that works only with WM.

beside except limited Sony ericson mobile, all the symbians , like using the computer without mouse, only moving by buttons.

Edited by M Seif

Use FTouchSL and that goes away AND you get better scrolling!

P

thanks but I don't need the extra functionality and like to limit the apps I install for stability. Guess I'll live with it.

OUT:

All the useless windows junk / bloatware

All the add-ons that can be easily added back on by even basic users (e.g. google maps, shozu, etc.)

IN:

Clean, stable, minimal WM install

Guest Mark_in_VA

I sure like the idea of a minimalistic ROM with stuff you want added as .CABs.

I sure would ALSO like the radio ROMs separated from the PDA portion. This'll be very useful once we get the PDA where we like it, and a ROM comes out that'll enable 3G or 3.5G. Then, after loading that, we needn't 'start over.'

Guest Paul (MVP)

Really don't see that happening... can live in hope tho I suppose...

In the history of all these devices there's never been a ROM update that enables an extra 3G band AFAIK!

P

Guest hikurakx

is there anyway someone can take the (opera,touch player) out from dxhj1

and make it into cab file?

cuz i install one of cooked rom from chinese website,

storage: 117.45mb

in use: 28.45mb

left: 89 mb

which is so nice

thanks if anyone can help

Guest tim1979
is there anyway someone can take the (opera,touch player) out from dxhj1