Quick GPS fix without XTRA enabled

Guest robertut

Guest Junoman
If you turn off XTRA, you'll notice that it may require even more than 15-30 minutes to get a fix. Turning on XTRA will shorten this to almost instant fixes...

Many people prefer to disable Enhanced GPS Settings, XTRA data download. This is because 3G/GPRS data connections can cost a lot, especially if you are abroad and roaming.

It seems like Samsung has left some settings turned on in the registy, for debugging purposes, and this makes really slow to get a fix without XTRA data. According to Microsoft's documentation (see GPS Intermediate Driver General Registry Settings) some features like logging can be enabled for debugging, in GPS Intermediate Driver's registry settings, which stays between the hardware and your navigation software.

My experience shows that the following steps seem to improve the time to get a GPS fix, without need to download XTRA data:

1. Go to Settings > System > Enhanced GPS and set both settings to "Disable"

2. Go to your device's registry, and see the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver

3. Change the following string values to nothing (don't delete them, just edit them and clear the value):

CurrentLogFile (originally \GPSID_log.txt)

OldLogFile (originally \GPSID_log.bak)

4. Soft-reset your device

5. With File Explorer, go to My Device, and delete the two GPSID_log files you see, and the file named xtra. If you don't soft-reset, you will not be able to delete some of them.

6. Check again the registry setting. Sometimes in rare cases it may revert the settings back - but that's a general WM problem.

After this, if you start your navigation software under clear sky, you can get a fix in a coulpe of minutes, without the use of XTRA, or any other data source, than pure native GPS satellites.

To digg in the registry there are many free and shareware tools available, I can recommend Total Commander CE, which has a registry plugin.

Also noticed (but this may be really subjective) that flipping the device with the back upwards, while waiting for GPS fix, improves reception a bit - it seems like the internal receiver antenna is oriented to the back of the device... but if anyohe has dissassembled the Omnia can confirm or infirm this.

Guide Me Please!!!

I have done up to step 4 and thanks to all.

But I cann't explore and find the two GPSID_log files and the xtra file in My Device!! For your further hand please?

Thanks,

J

Guest Junoman

Hi Guys!!

I hope this will helpful those who use Tom Tom 6

Your TomTom6 needs a third party software to receive the gps sigals and then let it to be used by TomTom6 or other gps navigations. Here I have written down how did I configure it to work in my samsung Omnia after all efforts.

1.Samsung Omnia Configuration:

1.2- Go to your samsung omnia MainMenu and then click on configuration icon.

1.3-Click on System tab on Configuration page(it is located at the bottom of page).

1.4-Click on the External GPS icon.

1.5-Click the programma's tab(if not chosen already).

1.6-Choose COM4 from GPS-Programmaport ( from drop down menu).

1.7-Click on Hardware tab(at the bottom of page).

1.8-Set the GPS-Hardwareport to COM9 ( if not already set to COM9).

1.9-Set the Baudrate to 4800 ( if not already set to 4800).

1.10-Go to the next tab and choose the GPS automatically administer ( if not already chosen).

1.11-Click on the OK button on the top of your configuration page.

2-GpsGate 2.6 installation:

2.1-Download and install GpsGate 2.6 in your samsung omnia mobile from here ( http://franson.com/gpsgate/download.asp?file=GpsGatePPC.ARM.CAB&platform=winxp ) .

2.2-Go to your programs on your samsung omnia and click on the GpsGate 2.6 . You will be presented with configurations page(if a popup menu opens click on settings).

2.3-Click on the wizard button on the bottom right side of your gps configuration page.

2.4-Choose only Wired or built in GPS fromt he Search Options list.

2.5- Click on > button(sign). Now your samsung omnia will search for a valid gps port. and will present you with a pop up menu telling that it finds a COM4 ... do you want to use it. Click on OK button.You will be presented with Select OUT PUT page.

2.6-Choose Share with NMEA applications from OUT PUT list.( if not already selected).

2.7-Click the > button (sign). You will be presented with pop up info page.

2.8-Click on ok button on the popup info page.

2.9-Now click on the Finish button on Summary page.

2.10-Now your GpsGate 2.6 program is configured to receive Gps signals.

2.11-Click on OK button to exit GpsGate 2.6 configuration page.

3-TomTom6 Configuration:

3.1-Open your TomTom6 mobile navigation program.

3.2-Tap on the page to go to Main Menu of TomTom6.

3.3-Click on Chanage preferences.

3.4-Click on Show GPS status iocn.

3.5-Click on Configure button.

3.6-Choose "Other NMEA GPS receiver" from the list.

3.7-Click on Select button.

3.8-Set the "GPS baud rate" to 4800.

3.9-Click on "Done" button.

3.10-Choose the "Franson COM1" from the GPS is connected to: list . You will be back to GPS status page.

3.11-Click on Done button.

Ha Ha ..! :lol: Your TomTom6 is ready to receive GPS signal and explore the unknown places.

Thanks to every one helping us understanding the new technology better. I'm soryy if I have repeated similar info/solution, which may have already been posted by someoneelse.

Cheers'

J

Guest MikeTay

Hi I have accidentally deleted the Data in Current Driver (name) under GPS Intermediate Driver. Should be "Samsung ..........". Can someone be kind enough to let me know the exact wordings so that I can put in back for my GPS to work.

Thanks. :lol: :D ;)

Guest nickyckl
If you turn off XTRA, you'll notice that it may require even more than 15-30 minutes to get a fix. Turning on XTRA will shorten this to almost instant fixes...

Many people prefer to disable Enhanced GPS Settings, XTRA data download. This is because 3G/GPRS data connections can cost a lot, especially if you are abroad and roaming.

It seems like Samsung has left some settings turned on in the registy, for debugging purposes, and this makes really slow to get a fix without XTRA data. According to Microsoft's documentation (see GPS Intermediate Driver General Registry Settings) some features like logging can be enabled for debugging, in GPS Intermediate Driver's registry settings, which stays between the hardware and your navigation software.

My experience shows that the following steps seem to improve the time to get a GPS fix, without need to download XTRA data:

2. Go to your device's registry, and see the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver

3. Change the following string values to nothing (don't delete them, just edit them and clear the value):

CurrentLogFile (originally \GPSID_log.txt)

OldLogFile (originally \GPSID_log.bak)

4. Soft-reset your device

5. With File Explorer, go to My Device, and delete the two GPSID_log files you see, and the file named xtra. If you don't soft-reset, you will not be able to delete some of them.

6. Check again the registry setting. Sometimes in rare cases it may revert the settings back - but that's a general WM problem.

After this, if you start your navigation software under clear sky, you can get a fix in a coulpe of minutes, without the use of XTRA, or any other data source, than pure native GPS satellites.

To digg in the registry there are many free and shareware tools available, I can recommend Total Commander CE, which has a registry plugin.

Also noticed (but this may be really subjective) that flipping the device with the back upwards, while waiting for GPS fix, improves reception a bit - it seems like the internal receiver antenna is oriented to the back of the device... but if anyohe has dissassembled the Omnia can confirm or infirm this.

The Setting works fine to me!!! Thank you

Guest MikeTay

Sorry to post again. Could some kind soul help me by letting me know whats the data value of Drivers under HKLM/System/Currentcontrolset/GPS Intermediate Drivers/Drivers. I have accidentally deleted it and now my GPS wont work.

Thanks again.

OK I got it.

Thanks anyway.

Edited by MikeTay

Sorry to post again. Could some kind soul help me by letting me know whats the data value of Drivers under HKLM/System/Currentcontrolset/GPS Intermediate Drivers/Drivers. I have accidentally deleted it and now my GPS wont work.

Thanks again.

OK I got it.

Thanks anyway.

The data value of Drivers under HKLM/System/Currentcontrolset/GPS Intermediate Drivers/Drivers is:

Samsung GPS Hardware (folder)

+Add value+ 0b

CurrentDriver 42b

In the folder "Samsung GPS Hardware" the values are:

+add value+ 0b

CommPort 12b

FriendlyName 60b

InputBufferSize 4b

Interface Type 10b

OutputBufferSize 4b

RetryWaitonerror 4b

SleeoOnNoData 4b

I hope it's usefull.

Bye,

assero

Guest Amerikiwi

Thanks. This works great. I was not impressed by the GPS before. I don't know what this tweak did but I'm getting a good fix indoors now as well which was impossible before. My ROM JVHH1.

Guest gravityz

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers]"CurrentDriver"="Samsung GPS Hardware"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\Samsung GPS Hardware]"CommPort"="COM9:""FriendlyName"="Samsung GPS Card, version 1.0""InputBufferSize"=dword:00001000"InterfaceType"="COMM""OutputBufferSize"=dword:00001000"RetryWaitonerror"=dword:00002710"SleepOnNoData"=dword:00000064

Hi I have accidentally deleted the Data in Current Driver (name) under GPS Intermediate Driver. Should be "Samsung ..........". Can someone be kind enough to let me know the exact wordings so that I can put in back for my GPS to work.

Thanks. :lol: :D ;)

thanks for this post.

Out of interest I applied said changes and then opened TomTom with out GPS gate to see if it got a fix without it but it hasnt... :lol:

Guest Geronymous
thanks for this post.

Out of interest I applied said changes and then opened TomTom with out GPS gate to see if it got a fix without it but it hasnt... :o

Yep, I can confirm that :lol: :D ;)

iGO8 here also and I don't notice any improvement as before the registry edit, the files are gone but my GPS connection is like before. Needs about 1-3 minutes without iNet connection.

And it was the same on the DXHH1 ROM as now on the MCR01 ROM for my GPS nothing has changed @ all.

But great to hear it helps some ppl :lol:

Guest gravityz

i have rom XKHH8/XKHH4

after i did the tweak google maps was unable to get a fix.

it seems on my version that it needs the xtra data to work

after that i can disable al items bu this tweak does not work on HH4

iGO8 here also and I don't notice any improvement as before the registry edit, the files are gone but my GPS connection is like before. Needs about 1-3 minutes without iNet connection.

And it was the same on the DXHH1 ROM as now on the MCR01 ROM for my GPS nothing has changed @ all.

But great to hear it helps some ppl :lol:

Guest Mig-L - Bell

Everybody says that the GPS takes long to lock... But mine lock's in 15/20 secondes, it did out of the box and still with DXHH1... Strange...

Guest super raptor

sounds stupid but how to get into my device registry?

Edited by super raptor

Guest Geronymous
sounds stupid but how to get into my device registry?

You need a registry editor, like the one included in Resco Explorer. I think that TotalCommander (free) can also be used for that.

Guest Amerikiwi

Weird how it is only helping some people out. One thing I have noticed is that after a soft reset before this tweak I would have to fuss around and do the 'xtra' download etc, then it would take 3-4 minutes to get a fix, but now after a soft reset the unit shows no satellites, then 15 seconds later it shows a minimum of 6 satellites, then within another 10 secs it has a fix.

My Omnia is installed with a small file called q-gps. I have tried the method described here but it didn't make much difference to my Omnia, which still takes about 5 mins to log on. My HTC TC faired much better, logs on in less than 10 secs without having to do any adjustment. Sigh....