Quick GPS fix without XTRA enabled

Guest robertut

If you turn off XTRA, you'll notice that it may require even more than 15-30 minutes to get a fix. Turning on XTRA will shorten this to almost instant fixes...

Many people prefer to disable Enhanced GPS Settings, XTRA data download. This is because 3G/GPRS data connections can cost a lot, especially if you are abroad and roaming.

It seems like Samsung has left some settings turned on in the registy, for debugging purposes, and this makes really slow to get a fix without XTRA data. According to Microsoft's documentation (see GPS Intermediate Driver General Registry Settings) some features like logging can be enabled for debugging, in GPS Intermediate Driver's registry settings, which stays between the hardware and your navigation software.

My experience shows that the following steps seem to improve the time to get a GPS fix, without need to download XTRA data:

1. Go to Settings > System > Enhanced GPS and set both settings to "Disable"

2. Go to your device's registry, and see the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver

3. Change the following string values to nothing (don't delete them, just edit them and clear the value):

CurrentLogFile (originally \GPSID_log.txt)

OldLogFile (originally \GPSID_log.bak)

4. Soft-reset your device

5. With File Explorer, go to My Device, and delete the two GPSID_log files you see, and the file named xtra. If you don't soft-reset, you will not be able to delete some of them.

6. Check again the registry setting. Sometimes in rare cases it may revert the settings back - but that's a general WM problem.

After this, if you start your navigation software under clear sky, you can get a fix in a coulpe of minutes, without the use of XTRA, or any other data source, than pure native GPS satellites.

To digg in the registry there are many free and shareware tools available, I can recommend Total Commander CE, which has a registry plugin.

Also noticed (but this may be really subjective) that flipping the device with the back upwards, while waiting for GPS fix, improves reception a bit - it seems like the internal receiver antenna is oriented to the back of the device... but if anyohe has dissassembled the Omnia can confirm or infirm this.

Works like a charm - thank you. :lol:

Guest borzack

Hi all, complete noob to gps and wm here.

Before this tweak, i enables xtra in enhanced gps settings.

I installed Garmin mobile xt.

Tap 'I Agree' btn

Then i tapped the satellite signal icon on the top left screen:

it says COM3: COM 3

then i tap GPS Info

It Says Acquiring Satellites

and i can see a few satellites...

and i managed to get a fix ONCE.

then i did the tweak.

and now I don't see any satellites :lol:

can anybody tell me what's wrong?

thank you.

Guest gravityz

Upgraded rom to HJ3

again did the tweak, again no luck

this is problably only working on a couple of devices

this gps needs XTRA data, that is the way it is designed.

i switched from portsplitter to gpsproxy which seems to be working a lot better

stay away from gps gate becasue that program puts a lot of virtual port entries in your registry

so many that other programs will stop working because they use the same port.

EVERYONE: 5 mins is fast for Omnia. This fix is for those people, who get a fix in 10-15-30 minutes or so, without enabling XTRA.

What was it in the end? I noticed on my device after a softreset the OldLogFile would reset its string?

Same thing happened to me. Repeated the steps several times bu the Oldlogfile string always resets to the original value. Should I ignore it or is there another way to permanently clear the string.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bobobird
Thanks alot. This worked brilliantly - gets a fix within seconds indoors. However it still sucks battery power. Anyone else noticed this as well.

thanks

Vik

You must be doing something wrong!!!

Haha

Btw - just noticed this

With xtras enabled, even if the log files are deleted and the registry entries cleared, the 2 files are recreated once the gps is used. But no changes are made to the registry (the entries are still blank).

Edited by bobobird

If you turn off XTRA, you'll notice that it may require even more than 15-30 minutes to get a fix. Turning on XTRA will shorten this to almost instant fixes...

Many people prefer to disable Enhanced GPS Settings, XTRA data download. This is because 3G/GPRS data connections can cost a lot, especially if you are abroad and roaming.

It seems like Samsung has left some settings turned on in the registy, for debugging purposes, and this makes really slow to get a fix without XTRA data. According to Microsoft's documentation (see GPS Intermediate Driver General Registry Settings) some features like logging can be enabled for debugging, in GPS Intermediate Driver's registry settings, which stays between the hardware and your navigation software.

My experience shows that the following steps seem to improve the time to get a GPS fix, without need to download XTRA data:

2. Go to your device's registry, and see the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver

3. Change the following string values to nothing (don't delete them, just edit them and clear the value):

5. With File Explorer, go to My Device, and delete the two GPSID_log files you see, and the file named xtra. If you don't soft-reset, you will not be able to delete some of them.

6. Check again the registry setting. Sometimes in rare cases it may revert the settings back - but that's a general WM problem.

After this, if you start your navigation software under clear sky, you can get a fix in a coulpe of minutes, without the use of XTRA, or any other data source, than pure native GPS satellites.

To digg in the registry there are many free and shareware tools available, I can recommend Total Commander CE, which has a registry plugin.

Also noticed (but this may be really subjective) that flipping the device with the back upwards, while waiting for GPS fix, improves reception a bit - it seems like the internal receiver antenna is oriented to the back of the device... but if anyohe has dissassembled the Omnia can confirm or infirm this.

can u make cab for it?

Guest Vik Star
You must be doing something wrong!!!

Haha

Btw - just noticed this

With xtras enabled, even if the log files are deleted and the registry entries cleared, the 2 files are recreated once the gps is used. But no changes are made to the registry (the entries are still blank).

Oh s*** your right, it's struggling again this morning. Oh well have to hang on until there a proper fix.

Thanks

vik

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sqeclipse

Could someone create a .arm file that will automaticlly help us update this chage? I can't get it to work

Thanks[

quote name='robertut' date='Oct 15 2008, 15:32' post='925711']

Thnx Robertut!

your solution totally fixed my GPS locking issues.

Not only the speed of locking has improved 10000% , also the sensitivity is much better,

Now even have a lock in my home!

The question remains: why did the Samsung people leave this obvious bug inside?!!

To enable the operators to sell more gprs data?

Zappa

Edited by zappa2

Guest marcoin

HI anyone can give me original value before the tweak for currentlogfile and oldlogfile. Want to revert back. It have a quick fix but everytime I reset, it takes a hell lot of time before it get fix... Any one exp this?

Guest zappa2
HI anyone can give me original value before the tweak for currentlogfile and oldlogfile. Want to revert back. It have a quick fix but everytime I reset, it takes a hell lot of time before it get fix... Any one exp this?

Read man:

originally \GPSID_log.txt

originally \GPSID_log.bak

Zap

Guest zappa2

I have GPS running fine now.

Locks inhouse within 20 seconds.

But I noticed that if the omnia is on for a while, it seems the GPS unit goes into some sort of sleep/standby mode.

Tomtom and Google maps can't see the GPS anymore.

After a soft reset the GPS is fine again.

Would there be some tweak in the register for that?

Zap

Edited by zappa2

Guest marcoin
Read man:

Zap

I see. Ha. I notice something. After the tweak, it took sometime to lock in for the first time. Subsequent lock in is superbly fast! If soft reset is made, it will take sometime for the lock in again. I am using Garmin Mobile XT

Guest savedid

Great fix guys. thanks. it did really make my omnia get gps fix in seconds.

But the only problem is at times it works but somtimes it wont get a fix at all and have to soft reset. donno whats the problem? i guess other omnia users have same problem with tomtom 7.

i dont use any other software with it. firmware is HH3

Edited by savedid

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I have done this reg edit on a former ROM (think it was HJ1 or3) and it worked like a charm.

However, I've recently updated to HK3 and followed each step carefully, but the 2 files revert at each time!

Anyone else notice this? Is there a work around?

Anxious to hear if there is !! :)

Keep up the good work !

Cheers

Ozzy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest killeriq

Hia ALL,

I had also problems with GPS to get connected with satellites it took always around 5-10min ....

I put into my phone new official FW - DZHK3 - is an singapore version

And i get fix/connected with satellites in 10-30sec max its amazing and without any fixes or registry changes

I tried it on Garmin and iGO

Hi there, after soft-resetting my files, i opened up file explorer and went into "My Device". But i don't see the log files there (GPSID_log.txt & GPSID_log.bak), except xtra.

May i know what is the problem?

Edited by oknaka

Guest nilantha

hi, i am new to Samsung Omnia i900 and i am little confused.

First of all, i am not even sure if i have a built in GPS.

I do remember sticker saying GPS -> at the bottom.

If I do have it please help me to use the GPS with Live Maps

Thank you

My Device is

PDA: i900DXHJ1/DZHJ1

Phone: i900DXHJ1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dwethiswar

I've been reading through this thread, here are my findings so far:

- out of the box, using IGO8, I normally got a fix within 10sec - 2minutes, with xtra disabled.

- I also had the impression that somehow the phone seems to remember the last position: getting a fix the second time when standing at the same position is always faster than the first time

- after applying the fix described here, I was stunned: went outside, got like 8 sattellites within 5 seconds. Madness.

- however, half a day later when I actually needed the gps, IGO started of with a screen without satellites, never happened before. After that, it took like 4 minutes before getting any, but during the trip things seemed ok.

- again a few hours later: gps goes berserk, it shows me one active sattelite, yet IGO computes position and speed, which are totally off (speed 300km/h and telling me I was in France, while I was standing still somewhere in the middle of Belgium, go figure)

- reboot didn't work, gps still totaly lost

- came up with an idea: enabled downloaded xtra data => got quick fix

- disabled xtra again, now I still get fixes like I did in the beginning, ie always in less than 2 minutes

So in the end I'm left confused: applying the the fix did have effect, but it got messy later on. Just getting the xtra.bin file fixes that messiness, leaving netto result = 0 although the log files are still unused. Weird :]

Edited by dwethiswar