UnderClock using XCPUScalar Improves OMNIA lags!!

Guest fychan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mtf612
I guess no one else uses this huh?

Well i like the idea. The omnia is pretty sluggish with a few programs running....can someone else verify the battery tests and also run a heat test...the omnia is already an oven...

Guest daskalos

Im using it :-)

Im using it to make a steady processor speeds when multiple recording and editing using an

audio editor/recorder app, Meteor. By using XCPU Scalar, multiple audio are in sync and audio

editing processing is much faster, because of the stable processor speed (because Omnia processor auto-scales which

adjust the processor speed to conserve battery, which creates lags and cuts to processed audio)

Though it is really battery draining...

Edited by daskalos

Guest Antonisss

i ve been able to extract 3-4 days of battery life using XCPUscalar...facts are simple, if you re constantly using the phone, it doesnt matter if you re using the programm or not, the battery is going to be out in 2 days max...

Guest mtf612
i ve been able to extract 3-4 days of battery life using XCPUscalar...facts are simple, if you re constantly using the phone, it doesnt matter if you re using the programm or not, the battery is going to be out in 2 days max...

Whixh versi\on do you have. Could you give us more details on the battery life ? Is the speed that muxch better ?

Guest Antonisss
Whixh versi\on do you have. Could you give us more details on the battery life ? Is the speed that muxch better ?

PDA: i900BDHJ3

PHONE: i900DXHL2

after 2 days(now i am on my third), set on 400Mhz, battery has 50% left, i ve connected it on USB just to get the updates for weather and XTRA, i ve done 2-3 benchmarks using SKTools, which i was tweaking for about an hour, played a bit with the GPS to see how quickly it locks...

i repeat, if you re going to "rape" the phone, it doesnt matter if you re using it or not...

Guest Trebla

Using XCPUScalar I have noticed something strange when this program is running. everytime I press the camera button (side of Omnia) my omnia screen will go blank/black press it again will return to Today's screen. You'll be able to launch the Camera via menu/programs not via programable buttons. I did confirm that XCPUScalar is causing it coz when i close/terminate the apps I can using the camera button to launch the camera.

Anyone facing the same problem? BTW I am using the latest Samsung ROM DXHK3

Guest Jokes On You
PDA: i900BDHJ3

PHONE: i900DXHL2

after 2 days(now i am on my third), set on 400Mhz, battery has 50% left, i ve connected it on USB just to get the updates for weather and XTRA, i ve done 2-3 benchmarks using SKTools, which i was tweaking for about an hour, played a bit with the GPS to see how quickly it locks...

i repeat, if you re going to "rape" the phone, it doesnt matter if you re using it or not...

Lol very true statement. I used this program at one time but in essence it wasnt for me. The underclocking doesnt do much for me since im the kind of person to bend my phone over. :rolleyes:

Guest 3shirts

I tried it again yesterday but by mid-afternoon (having charged all night) it was giving me battery warnings! It normally lasts a couple of days and my usage wasn't unusual so I think XCPUScaler is a definate killer of battery life!

• 4 weeks later...
Yea, isn't the Omnia 624Mhz? I have XCPUScalar set at 300Mhz.

I too was under the impression that the omnia i910 has a autoscaling processor speed of 624Mhz. (not unless verizon crippled this area too)

I've compared it to my Dell Axim x51v which has the same 624Mhz , which I have set to always use maximum setting and only if i use xcpuscaler on my omnia does the speed stay about the same. so in fact xcpuscaler will keep the device running at it's maximum even though it only offers a read out speed of 500Mhz, but seems to be equal to my axim running at 624.

But one downside though.. if you are relying on xcpuscaler 24/7 do allow for a warmer running device in your hands, but it works fine from what I've been using it for. also as far as battery drain goes... I get about 1 full day of use running xcpuscaler, but keep in mind I use alot of the omnia's functions all the time all day long too. but if I don't use the xcpuscaler on full throttle and stop it from runnning.. without me changing my habits on the omnia then I can get an average of 2 days of use off the device.

This is just my personal experience. Thanks for taking the time to read this little note for those who are interested.

Edited by swade8

Guest dwallersv

My experience: Application GUI is very buggy -- only way I can get tabs to display is by starting in portrait, trial comes up in About tab, rotate to landscape, now can see the tabs. Have ONE chance to select the tab I want, and then never see them again -- so I can't really use the app fully.

Select Advanced Tab and max all sliders out.

910 is way faster. Enormously so. Clearly Samsung is holding back the CPU for the sake of battery life with a very conservative agorithm. In fact, I'm doubtful it ever runs full speed, or even close. I'm seeing performance in apps that I've never, ever seen before.

Here's where this is useful to me: The Camera app, shooting 640x480 video. Until XCPUscalar, I've never been able to record at the highest resolution without freezes and dropouts in the recorded video. I get this sometimes too with the medium resolution. I am running M2D and have heavily customized, and installed a lot of software, so this may be a factor, although I'm skeptical -- at idle, FDC Task Manager shows Idle taking about 85-90% CPU, the task manager using the rest. So, my thinking is just that the CPU is not running fast enough to keep up with capture and encoding when taking video at 640x480.

Turn on XCPUscalar, and I can shoot perfect 640x480 video with no freezes or dropouts. Given that this is NTSC resolution, being able to shoot reliable, decent video in a pinch with my phone, when I don't have my HD camcorder with me, for instance, is of significant value. The poor performance of this feature on the Omnia was rather disappointing to me. So, I'm going to buy the app, bugs and all, because it is useful for this alone -- I can start it before shooting video, and kill it afterward. (or, fire it up when I simpy want a snappy experience, or when any other app, like CorePlayer, seems to be bogging down).

Biggest discovery for me is that I'm convinced we're being cheated out of performance, and being sold a bill of goods by Samsung advertising the Omnia as a 624Mhz device (true, but there should be a footnote) that never runs at 624. Judging by performance, even under high loads I don't think the algorithm ever runs things faster than 400-450Mhz or so. Samsung had a problem with battery life (I'm guessing), and solved it by basically crippling the performance of the CPU.

What we really need is an app like qbus' Rotation Service that turns off CPU scaling on an app-by-app basis. Even better would be a configurable speed per app, but I'd settle for just being able to tell the thing to crank all the way up for certain apps, like the camera. Any MoDaCo hacks out there willing to give it a shot? qbus? Perhaps this could easily just be added to Rotation Service...

Edited by dwallersv

Guest FerdiBorbon

Ive tried this app for like a day, and man does it make things fly at 500mhz, all my apps run great, the weather icons on m2d come up so much quicker, but using it at 500mhz and coreplayer is a battery sucking killer.

What i noticed with the Xcpuscalar is that even if i move the slider 100mhz and soft reset, it appears still run at 500mhz, as apps still load fast and coreplayer eating battery. (any one experience this?)

Also does moving the slider work on the fly, or do i need to soft reset everytime i set it?

• 4 months later...
Guest kidrocking79
What we really need is an app like qbus' Rotation Service that turns off CPU scaling on an app-by-app basis. Even better would be a configurable speed per app, but I'd settle for just being able to tell the thing to crank all the way up for certain apps, like the camera. Any MoDaCo hacks out there willing to give it a shot? qbus? Perhaps this could easily just be added to Rotation Service...

Im guessing noone looked further into this? That was such a great idea !!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest damienloh

I downloaded the Xcpuscalar 3.03 trial but there is no configuration page.

I also downloaded Pocket Hack Master but it couldn't set any speed.

The Omnia is a i900 with ROM DZIA5.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest pnaama

i installed this on my omnia winmno 6.5 via the cab file but everytime i launch it i dont get any speed settings...

what gives?

damienloh, You using winmo 6.5?

Edited by pnaama

Guest pnaama

nevermind. installed another version and it works.

noticed the omnia is faster especially when i press the call button that brings up the dialing numbers.

Guest momok
nevermind. installed another version and it works.

noticed the omnia is faster especially when i press the call button that brings up the dialing numbers.

which version are u using? do u have a link?

Guest damienloh
i installed this on my omnia winmno 6.5 via the cab file but everytime i launch it i dont get any speed settings...

what gives?

damienloh, You using winmo 6.5?

I am using WM6.1 firmware DZIA5.

Where do you get the working cab?

Guest a1m80t

I used XCPUScalar for a while and spb is noticeably snappier but the battery life is also noticeably worst. I’ve been using it for about a week, set at 500 MHz but I just turned it down to 200 MHz to see how it goes.

Guest dwallersv
I used XCPUScalar for a while and spb is noticeably snappier but the battery life is also noticeably worst. I’ve been using it for about a week, set at 500 MHz but I just turned it down to 200 MHz to see how it goes.

Unless you have a newer version that actually works, changing the sliders does not do anything. The program is basically non-functional, except for disabling the CPU clock speed control when running, causing the CPU to run balls-out at 624Mhz.

If you do have an actual functional version of XCPUScaler that works on the Omnia, a lot of us would like to have it, so please tell us where you got it.