(Update: 24 Nov 08) Custom ROM: Manilla2D with Alternate Landscape (DXHK1/M2D04)

Guest PaSSoA

Guest RodolfoG

Thanks for this excellent ROM PaSSoA... 2 things:

@Everyone... If you want to change the "Phone" left soft key on the home tab, mpenguin14 from xda-developers just found out how to do it:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...754#post2820754

@PaSSoA... I suggest you include mpenguin14's Manilla2D Customizer app (M2DC) in ur next ROM update, as it allows many M2D tweaks, including removing (and including hidden) tabs and changing themes I think... plus many more other options... its kind of a big cab file, but that will allow most of us to customize our M2D settings (and back them up and restore them, as this app also allows for this!) without having to install it apart or manually editing the xml files and registry keys... He's also planning on adding that new left soft key config on his next release so it might even coincide with your next ROM update...

Thanks anyway!!

... Oh and us1111 .. I also need Windows Live back as its the way I backup and restore all of my contacts... :lol:

Edited by RodolfoG

Yeah windows live is best messenger ever build, it can send picture, files and also voice, it can even do BUZZ and the phone will vibrate when people BUZZ u. And it is integrated with hotmail, msn, .NET space, onecare account, even live search is no harm is good too where you can search engine right on today page.

it is difficult to get the cab, people who are using other HTC phones in xda dev site even have few threads in the forum asking for the cab and problem to install. SHould be thankful it is already in Omnia.

So put back Windows live and live search in the ROM.

Guest buyukbang

I agree for the integration of icontact but not agree with other stufs like Windows live, live search or Widgets. These have big sizes and we have a limited area on phone memory. CAB vesions which can be used to install to 16GB disk is the best idea, IMHO...

Hi all, a quick reply to questions...

Well.. I don't have a problem with the adding contacts being native windows.. I think that we should aim (hope you agree PaSSoA) that icontacts should be the default within the rom.. Maybe replacing the SECcontact.exe with the icontact.exe whould be the easiest?

Edited by buyukbang

Guest zkyevolved

Hey everyone, just from playing around I've noticed a few things:

1) (as many have already noticed) the programs and settings doesn't work .A way around it is to go directly to the tab and click "settings" or "all programs". Kind of eliminates the whole start menu in my opinion hehehe.

2) the Audio player closes if I leave it open while browsing the library. If I want to add a song to a playlist I have to do it quick, or else it'll close. Also, I can only view Playlists and All Music (I can't browse artists, genres or anything like that). Is there a fix for this? Is it possible to import playlists that already made?

Requests:

1) Windows Messenger

2) some app that will automatically lock the device if not touched. My greatest problem is when I have to do a quick sprint or leave it in my pocket, it opens a ton of apps because just by hitting the end, send or action button the screen comes to life. If it were to be locked, the screen would be dimmed and thats it, no buttons unless you unlock it. Just an idea... :lol: Unless anyone knows of an app that will fix this now! hehe.

That's it for now :D

Thanks! And great work! ;)

Edited by zkyevolved

I have an idea...

At the moment, it's very hard to replace the default programs within manilla... Manilla uses the default programs for:

Alarm

Clock

MP3 Player (which is actually quite nice)

Call Log

Etc, Etc..

I'm thinking about writing a little C# application which can replace the executables for the mentioned default applications.. This replaced executable will read an .run configuration where the actual executable (+parameters) is placed. The .run file should have the same name as the executable name. The default in the .run will be the original program (clock.exe, calendar.exe, etc...) but the nice thing is, that the .run file can be edited to the program you like so if manilla calls for calendar.exe, through the configuration .run thumbcal.exe could be started! The original programs have to be renamed in the rom like calendar_.exe or something, because my exe+config will replace them.

So if we for example take calendar.exe in /windows, this will be the case:

/windows/calendar_.exe Original wm6 executable

/windows/calendar.exe my C# executable

/windows/calendar.run configuration file with the actual executable (defaults to /windows/calendar_.exe)

The C# executable will search for a .run file with the same name as its basename (clock.exe will search for clock.run). In the .run file you can place the wanted command + commandline parameters:

calendar.run:

/Storage Card/Program Files/Thumbcal/Thumbcal -notes

What do you think of this idea? I only wanna start if the rom builders are behind this idea...

Guest RodolfoG

PaSSoA, is there a chance you could make a .CAB installer for Samsung's TaskSwitcher if you never plan on including it again?

I think its one of the smallest and easiest task switchers out there, and after looking for a replacement (MagicButton's task manager isn't goog for me) and trying some other task switchers, I've come to the conclusion that samsung's taskswitcher is the best option (I really liked SPB Mobile Shell's task manager, but I won't be installing SPBMS back now that we have precious Manilla 2D)...

Thanks!!

Edited by RodolfoG

Some quick answers before going out again <_<

Hey everyone, just from playing around I've noticed a few things:

1) (as many have already noticed) the programs and settings doesn't work .A way around it is to go directly to the tab and click "settings" or "all programs". Kind of eliminates the whole start menu in my opinion hehehe.

2) the Audio player closes if I leave it open while browsing the library. If I want to add a song to a playlist I have to do it quick, or else it'll close. Also, I can only view Playlists and All Music (I can't browse artists, genres or anything like that). Is there a fix for this? Is it possible to import playlists that already made?

Requests:

1) Windows Messenger

2) some app that will automatically lock the device if not touched. My greatest problem is when I have to do a quick sprint or leave it in my pocket, it opens a ton of apps because just by hitting the end, send or action button the screen comes to life. If it were to be locked, the screen would be dimmed and thats it, no buttons unless you unlock it. Just an idea... :lol: Unless anyone knows of an app that will fix this now! hehe.

That's it for now :D

Thanks! And great work! :o

Windows Live will be included due to many requests and it is not that big anyway, so no big deal. You can use S2U2 by AC for the locking should work fine.

I have an idea...

At the moment, it's very hard to replace the default programs within manilla... Manilla uses the default programs for:

Alarm

Clock

MP3 Player (which is actually quite nice)

Call Log

Etc, Etc..

I'm thinking about writing a little C# application which can replace the executables for the mentioned default applications.. This replaced executable will read an .run configuration where the actual executable (+parameters) is placed. The .run file should have the same name as the executable name. The default in the .run will be the original program (clock.exe, calendar.exe, etc...) but the nice thing is, that the .run file can be edited to the program you like so if manilla calls for calendar.exe, through the configuration .run thumbcal.exe could be started! The original programs have to be renamed in the rom like calendar_.exe or something, because my exe+config will replace them.

So if we for example take calendar.exe in /windows, this will be the case:

/windows/calendar_.exe Original wm6 executable

/windows/calendar.exe my C# executable

/windows/calendar.run configuration file with the actual executable (defaults to /windows/calendar_.exe)

The C# executable will search for a .run file with the same name as its basename (clock.exe will search for clock.run). In the .run file you can place the wanted command + commandline parameters:

calendar.run:

/Storage Card/Program Files/Thumbcal/Thumbcal -notes

What do you think of this idea? I only wanna start if the rom builders are behind this idea...

That sounds good but doesn't VJBrisk do something like that?

PaSSoA, is there a chance you could make a .CAB installer for Samsung's TaskSwitcher if you never plan on including it again?

I think its one of the smallest and easiest task switchers out there, and after looking for a replacement (MagicButton's task manager isn't goog for me) and trying some other task switchers, I've come to the conclusion that samsung's taskswitcher is the best option (I really liked SPB Mobile Shell's task manager, but I won't be installing SPBMS back now that we have precious Manilla 2D)...

Thanks!!

I'll try to upload it by tomorrow, rushing out of my house now. Btw, Manilla2D Customizer is included, find it under \Program Files\M2DC\. Adding themes work but of course you have to edit a little of the HTChomsettings.xml to fit Omnia's resolution.

Later.... ;)

Guest zkyevolved

PaSSoA, is the audio player an isolated incident or is it happening across the forum?

To reproduce:

Go to the music tab, and click albums, and all the options are greyed out, except for all music and playlists. Does that happen to everyone? It if you're adding music, leave it alone for a few seconds and it should close by itself. is this a known issue?

Guest Master Gee

I don't know if it was mentioned before, but I noticed that the menu Communications under settings has a different background wich doesn't seem to match the theme.

PaSSoA I'm looking forward to your next rom...you're the man.

Guest finaldestiny

As the above user, I also would like a better tutorial or link of how to edit these xml files...

Haven't tried this rom as yet because i'm still waiting confirmation as to whether it is safe to flash this using windows vista...

I've flashed before on vista upgrading to the latest singapore rom but the screen hanged when it reached full green bars, and the updater said that file 4 couldnt be uploaded.

Oddly enough the rom was still flashed, but i don't know how this would affect updating to the manilla rom here...(seriously don't want to risk bricking)

any ideas or thoughts on this?

Edit: Also us1111, i'm in my first year as an undergraduate studying computer science and...is it bad that i can only understand about 13% of what you posted? :D :lol:

Edited by finaldestiny

just want to let u know that after removing magic button i have no problems with Settings even in Manila2D even in Start-Settings.

Please have it in mind Passoa for the next version. Im using now handy switcher

Edit: I will check also for iContacts because after installing the app i had problem with the settings also...

Edit2: iContact doesnt conflict. I thinnk it is MagicButton causing problems with Settings. Please check it also, disable it for autostart.

Edited by sector

PaSSoA, is the audio player an isolated incident or is it happening across the forum?

To reproduce:

Go to the music tab, and click albums, and all the options are greyed out, except for all music and playlists. Does that happen to everyone? It if you're adding music, leave it alone for a few seconds and it should close by itself. is this a known issue?

Can't reproduce the error, everything works fine for me all options are shown too. As mentioned before, did you hardreset after flashing and how many songs do you have?

I don't know if it was mentioned before, but I noticed that the menu Communications under settings has a different background wich doesn't seem to match the theme.

PaSSoA I'm looking forward to your next rom...you're the man.

The new version will have a new default theme which I am trying to adjust to fit the Omnia, so don't worry about it :lol:

just want to let u know that after removing magic button i have no problems with Settings even in Manila2D even in Start-Settings.

Please have it in mind Passoa for the next version. Im using now handy switcher

Edit: I will check also for iContacts because after installing the app i had problem with the settings also...

Edit2: iContact doesnt conflict. I thinnk it is MagicButton causing problems with Settings. Please check it also, disable it for autostart.

Great find, thanks. Anyway I'm removing that from the next ROM too...

Passoa I can send u also the xml setting for TouchLaunch which fits for Omnia, if you are thinking to including it, and some nice backgrounds to attach, thanks to us1111.

You can use also the big weather icons if u feel like it, thanks to BeyondInvisible, also i modified your default homesettings.xml. Looks really pretty.

Any more probs im here to help when i have the time :lol:.

Edited by sector

I suspect it has something to do with Samsung's LargeDisplay start menu, will test it out tomorrow. Will let you know if I need help on the themes, but I'm more focused on getting a stable, fast ROM :lol:

Yes most probably.. I had Large Display, click on settings does nothing. Changing it to small display and click on settings restarts the phone.

I tried also to removing it from Startup same thing.

Anw im not hard resetting again :lol:, going to search if i can find a solution for this and waiting for the new release.

Might be good to ask Paul for more info.

Edited by sector

Guest Shadowy
Yes most probably.. I had Large Display, click on settings does nothing. Changing it to small display and click on settings restarts the phone.

I tried also to removing it from Startup same thing.

Anw im not hard resetting again :lol: , going to search if i can find a solution for this and waiting for the new release.

Might be good to ask Paul for more info.

I have large display set, clicking start then settings works fine for me. Or have I misunderstood the problem?

Guest RodolfoG

Thanks!!

Hey PaSSoA, I just found a simple and excellent task switcher that makes me not need Samsung's TaskSwitcher for the moment (not that its .cab wont be useful for others though...)

http://www.dotfred.net/TaskSwitcher.htm - simple (and free) Task Switcher application

I would even suggest you and others try it out... its very small, configurable, fast and finger friendly... highly recommendable for the Omnia (and for your custom ROM, as it currently lacks a task switcher I believe and it plays nicely with it as it doesn't show Manila2D.exe as an app running as other taskswitchers do).

Edited by RodolfoG

I have large display set, clicking start then settings works fine for me. Or have I misunderstood the problem?

Can you please specify which applications you have installed on ur omnia, meaning after u flashed ur phone (extra apps)?

Im trying to make a list what affects my problem and maybe future problem for others also.

Edited by sector

i usually flick the screen with nail upward to switch task, will removing the task switcher remove this feature too? If it doesnt then it is ok. Cause im using the taskswitcher button at the side to activate voice command.