Flashing ROM - "Incorrect software version!" tutorial

Guest mik3y

Guest js3339
Mik3y, you've mentioned the following "Execute the update file taken form Samsung and leave it open, then browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\" and copy UPDATE.exe to Desktop."

I guess that is on XP? If so, what to do if you're running Vista?

Thanks in advance!

In Vista you just hex edit file 'i900XXXX_updater_vista.exe'.

Hello Guys,

Last 2 months i saw a guide by Taril on very easy way to solve "incorrect .. .." when trying to install the official rom of AI2.

His method is first, flash the rom to DXHK3 before flashing to official rom. It was very easy and don't need the do register tweak.

The problem is, he left this forum and delete all the guides + the DXHK3 link.

While having his "cooked" rom in my pda now, i wish to revert back to Official since he is not around anymore.

Anyone can provide me the link to DXHK3 he used with?

Thank You.

Orga

Edited by Orga

After hours of searching trough the internet i managed to figure out how to flash any ROM from Samsung official website http://www.samsungmobile.com/support/omnia/index.jsp

One week ago i flashed my Omnia to DXHJ1 (main benefit is the battery lifetime - 4 days using only phone vs. 2 days on XXHI1), yesterday i found the new ROM for UK MSHJ1 and i was curious about the changes so I've decided to try it.

How to solve "Incorrect software version!"

First check ROM version, you'll need it later (To find your Omnia version, please click Start arrow_ver.gifSettings arrow_ver.gifSystem tab arrow_ver.gif Your version of Omnia menu. )

My first ROM was: PDA : i900XXHI1/XFHI1 - PHONE i900XXHH9

Second: PDA : i900DXHJ1/DXHJ1 - PHONE i900DXHJ1

Third: PDA : i900XXHJ4/MSHJ1 - PHONE i900XXHI5

What i did to change it from DXHJ1/DXHJ1 to XXHJ4/MSHJ1:

1. Change the phone to UK (thanks to Paul's post - http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-r...re-version-fix/ )

• Press the 'dial' key to the left of the optical pad to bring up the dialer
  • With the onscreen keypad input *#1546792*#
  • Select 'Preconfiguration'
  • Enter code *#81230*# and select OK
  • Select 'UK', with the default Operator
  • Accept this, DEVICE WILL HARD RESET
  • Run update, and all should be well.

2. Change the version in the phone's registry (from DXHJ1 to XXHG1 - to be inferior to XXHJ1, otherwise you'll get ".. already the latest version ..." message)

- upload regedit.exe to phone

- change HKCU\Control Panel\Version\CustomVersion from DXHJ1 to XXHG1

3. Execute the update file taken form Samsung and leave it open, then browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\ \Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\" and copy UPDATE.exe to Desktop.

4. Hex edit UPDATE.exe. (i've used xvi32)

- open file in editor

- scroll to the end of file

- search up (or from end) for i900XX

- change the second result to i900DX

- save and exit

5. Flash the phone using hex edited UPDATE.exe :excl: .

6. Change back to your country. (see step 1).

BACKUP YOUR PHONE BEFORE FLASHING. "MY STORAGE" WILL BE FORMATED!!! SO COPY ALL YOUR FILES BEFORE FLASHING.

BE SURE YOU HAVE SAMSUNG MODEM INSTALLED.

I used this method to go back to DXHJ1 because i didn't like the UK version (Network cannot be dragged to widget's bar, Opera build was older).

Flashing may kill the phone. USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Man, I'm new to this and I would really like to update my phone because the software I have is a nightmare. Im in South Africa and my software version is: PDA: i900XXHH1/JBHH1

Phone: i900BUHH1

Please explain step by step how I can update the phone to JVHK1

Edited by Klz

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MightyMouth

SOLVED

I am trying to go from a Shokka9's i900DXIA5/SHKv3 Windows Mobile 6.5 ROM back to the latest official UK rom. I have tried the above tutorial but I still get the incorrect version message.

OK I reverted back to the Singapore Latest Official version and I didn't have to edit the EXE and it all has worked so am happy now.

Edited by MightyMouth

Guest lenom

Hello everyone, Im kind a new in this, so any advice would help a lot. :excl:

I have Vodafone Omnia, i900v, and this is my version.

PDA: i900BUHH5/MIHI1

PHONE: i900NSPR0

sshot000x.png

Is it possible to change (and flash) my current version of ROM, to lastest version, from http://www.samsungmobile.com/support/omnia/index.jsp.

Also which country I sould chose and download lastest ROM if its possible to flash my current version to lastest.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest easyok

my omnia is from Hk, has PDA: i908ZHHJ2 and phone: i908ZHHJ1. can i upgrade using the same methods u guys talked about? I want to change it to an english version!!

Guest monrapper
Sounds great but i guess there's no point me going from DXHJ1 to the new UK one?

this is great bro, but i want to ask about the custom rom DTHJ9, is it bad for my OMNIA?

I already have the DTHJ5 version and i want to update it , I'm afraid i dont know how to do that you have posted here, I'll try again though............... please advise .......... thanks alot

Guest janni56

How to flash from PDA: i900DXHJ1/DXHJ1 - Phone : DXHJ1 to The Nordic XBHL1?? (using original Samsung i900XBHL1 updater vista)

Followed guide on page 1, all OK, just had to edit i900XBLH1 vista updater to DX.....at second hit with the editor.

Now the phone is totally norwegian!!!!!!!

Edited by janni56

Guest jackal764u

Hi Guys

I have tried everything possible but still get incorrect version. I Downloaded official South African Firmware JCHJ3. My phone version is:

PDA i900XXIB5/ JBIC1 and PHONE i900BUIBI.

The update .exe says the following from the bottom up i900JCHJ3 *JCHJ3 i900JC.

I have edited the phone registry to following versions but none of it works JCHH3 JCHJ1

All this was done in Vista, Windows 7 and XP

PLease help. Where are my settings incorrect?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest drunkenmonkeyonacid

Hi im really impressed with all the stuff going on here...but a little scared of screwing up my phone...i have an arabic rom

PDA: i900JPID1/JPID1

Phone: i900JVIC3

i downloaded an english rom JVHK1 for UAE and tried to install it.....i get incorrect software version eventhough my phone is set to UAE already and i checked it with that thing u guys generally do....

Please please help me out....my battery life is miserable....

Guest Emre SUMENGEN

Hi everyone, (and mik3y :D )

My Omnia currently has a custom rom from MoDaCo, DXIA5/DXIA5 and I want to get back to original Turkish firmware JUHJ2 (I downloaded it by entering JUHH1 to the Samsung site).

So, I've read all the posts on this thread, and did these (without success):

1) I checked Admin Menu -> Preconfiguration and saw it had Singapore. Changed it to Turkey/Turkcell. Had a hard-reset automatically after that

2) Reg edited on the phone and changed CustomVersion from DXIA5 to JUHH1

3) I got the update.exe file and used xvi32 on it, changed the second i900JU to i9000DX (from bottom to up)

4) Save the update.exe as a new file and tried to flash with it

The result: The update starts, writes: "1st file downloading" and scrolls to 100%, then it says "Download failed"

Looking up the FAQ on Samsung site, I tried to run the Update.exe again and selecting "Emergency Mode" (both with the edited and original Update.exe)

Even in the Emergency Mode, result don't change, downloads 1st file 100% but gives Download Failed! error...

So, can anyone show me what I'm doing wrong or how to overcome that error? I'd be glad.

Thanks

PS: The screenshot shows what I have before these tries...

post-434796-1244828118_thumb.png

Edited by Emre SUMENGEN

Guest oskidoo
Hi Guys

I have tried everything possible but still get incorrect version. I Downloaded official South African Firmware JCHJ3. My phone version is:

PDA i900XXIB5/ JBIC1 and PHONE i900BUIBI.

The update .exe says the following from the bottom up i900JCHJ3 *JCHJ3 i900JC.

I have edited the phone registry to following versions but none of it works JCHH3 JCHJ1

All this was done in Vista, Windows 7 and XP

PLease help. Where are my settings incorrect?

Thanks

Howzit,

Try the firmware JCHH1.

I've just done mine now and all went well.

Guest surat
Hi everyone, (and mik3y :D )

My Omnia currently has a custom rom from MoDaCo, DXIA5/DXIA5 and I want to get back to original Turkish firmware JUHJ2 (I downloaded it by entering JUHH1 to the Samsung site).

1) I checked Admin Menu -> Preconfiguration and saw it had Singapore. Changed it to Turkey/Turkcell. Had a hard-reset automatically after that

3) I got the update.exe file and used xvi32 on it, changed the second i900JU to i9000DX (from bottom to up)

The result: The update starts, writes: "1st file downloading" and scrolls to 100%, then it says "Download failed"

Looking up the FAQ on Samsung site, I tried to run the Update.exe again and selecting "Emergency Mode" (both with the edited and original Update.exe)

Even in the Emergency Mode, result don't change, downloads 1st file 100% but gives Download Failed! error...

So, can anyone show me what I'm doing wrong or how to overcome that error? I'd be glad.

Thanks

evet Emre bende yapamadim..sen becerdigin zaman banada haber verebilirmisin tesekkurler.

Guest Crazy Ray

Hello, i have an omnia that doesnt want to update.... :D

My phone version say:

PDA:i900XHH3

phone:i900XXHH1

... I tried to go to Version\CustomVersion on the registry but it wasnt there ? help !

can someone give me the proper steps to solve my problem ??

Edited by Crazy Ray

Guest blingsta

My phone's registry does not have the version value

i.e -- I go to HCU\ControlPanel but no "version"

only keys are VibeTonz and Volume.

btw I am upgrading for the first time and my piece:

PDA: DXHH3

PHONE: DXHH3

upgrading to DXIA5

Main question: What would be inferior to A in case I find the key or create one?

please help, formatted my wife's phone changing country codes and now I'm dead if I cannot update...

Thanks to everyone here in advance for your time...

Guest kim379
After hours of searching trough the internet i managed to figure out how to flash any ROM from Samsung official website http://www.samsungmobile.com/support/omnia/index.jsp

One week ago i flashed my Omnia to DXHJ1 (main benefit is the battery lifetime - 4 days using only phone vs. 2 days on XXHI1), yesterday i found the new ROM for UK MSHJ1 and i was curious about the changes so I've decided to try it.

First check ROM version, you'll need it later (To find your Omnia version, please click Start arrow_ver.gifSettings arrow_ver.gifSystem tab arrow_ver.gif Your version of Omnia menu. )

1. Change the phone to UK (thanks to Paul's post - http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-r...re-version-fix/ )

2. Change the version in the phone's registry (from DXHJ1 to XXHG1 - to be inferior to XXHJ1, otherwise you'll get ".. already the latest version ..." message)

3. Execute the update file taken form Samsung and leave it open, then browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\" and copy UPDATE.exe to Desktop.

- open file in editor

- save and exit

5. Flash the phone using hex edited UPDATE.exe :D .

BACKUP YOUR PHONE BEFORE FLASHING. "MY STORAGE" WILL BE FORMATED!!! SO COPY ALL YOUR FILES BEFORE FLASHING.

I used this method to go back to DXHJ1 because i didn't like the UK version (Network cannot be dragged to widget's bar, Opera build was older).

Hi! i tried this metode and still got "incorrect version.. my curent rom PDA: i900DXHJ1/DXHJ1 phone: i900DXHJ1

I want to update to i900XBIC1

Please help.

Guest johnny054
Hi everyone, (and mik3y ;) )

Thanks

Got the same problem. Dont know what to do... :D

Guest theWaleed

I'm using Vista..so no luch finding update.exe, well..i tried editing the original file i downloaded from Samsung (of course i made a backup just in case).. I edited as mik3y suggested.. opened the file with xvi32, went to the end of the file.. searched for i900XX (change the letters in red with whatever your current version is).. and voila !! thank you all for any addition you made.. ;)

my Omina was DX/DX now it's JV/JV :D :)

Guest theWaleed
Hi im really impressed with all the stuff going on here...but a little scared of screwing up my phone...i have an arabic rom

PDA: i900JPID1/JPID1

Phone: i900JVIC3

i downloaded an english rom JVHK1 for UAE and tried to install it.....i get incorrect software version eventhough my phone is set to UAE already and i checked it with that thing u guys generally do....

Please please help me out....my battery life is miserable....

you must get incorrect version, the update file is expecting [JV] while you got [JP].

edit the JVHK1 file you downloaded from Samsung using xvi32, search for i900JV (search from the end of the file), ignore the 1st result, search again, change that to i900JP. [actually this is the part of the software which holds the value the software compares it to the mobile version]

and don't forget to edit the registery, i used total commander.. it's free for windows CE and shows the hidden values in the registery, I couldn't do it with the regedit.exe mik3y attached.. but I followed each step he did.. now I have the JVHK1 ;) .. don't worry man... just do it

• 1 month later...
Guest enigma2283

- change HKCU\Control Panel\Version\CustomVersion from DXHJ1 to XXHG

how do i change the version?

Edited by enigma2283

- change HKCU\Control Panel\Version\CustomVersion from DXHJ1 to XXHG

how do i change the version?

You just type it in, replacing what was there before. This I worked out how to do...I am stuck at another point now myself :D

Guest ...GeForce...

3. Execute the update file taken form Samsung and leave it open, then browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\" and copy UPDATE.exe to Desktop.

- open file in editor

- save and exit

5. Flash the phone using hex edited UPDATE.exe ;) .

doesnt work :D :angry: ;) ...using sfr omnia PDA: i900XHHH2/AEHH2

TELEPHONE: i900BUHH1 nothing happens after u dial the code

doesnt work :D :angry: ;) ...using sfr omnia PDA: i900XHHH2/AEHH2

TELEPHONE: i900BUHH1 nothing happens after u dial the code

That's your problem ... try to be nice, this thing worked for many of us ...