UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest Stosh-X-

Who is [email protected] and what is his position? Just so I don't harass some lowlife tech instead of a corporate head.

I spent two hours on the phone today with customer support and went as high up the chain as I could. They acknowledged the fact that they did lock the GPS because they only support the VZnavigator and no other application. According to that logic, Microsoft's Live Search should be supported because it's on a Microsoft OS, which they had better support. I was given a mailing address to send my complain too, I don't have it with me now, but I'll post it as soon as I get home.

I told them that it was false advertising to say that the phone is VZNavigator capable instead of VZNavigator exclusive, which is what it really is. Being capable implies that you have the option of using VZNavigator, but are not required to. I have a relative that is a class-action attorney; I'll be telling him about this as well. Most likely I won't do anything legally until I get a reply from my corporate letter.

Guest somedude
Who is [email protected] and what is his position? Just so I don't harass some lowlife tech instead of a corporate head.

I spent two hours on the phone today with customer support and went as high up the chain as I could. They acknowledged the fact that they did lock the GPS because they only support the VZnavigator and no other application. According to that logic, Microsoft's Live Search should be supported because it's on a Microsoft OS, which they had better support. I was given a mailing address to send my complain too, I don't have it with me now, but I'll post it as soon as I get home.

I told them that it was false advertising to say that the phone is VZNavigator capable instead of VZNavigator exclusive, which is what it really is. Being capable implies that you have the option of using VZNavigator, but are not required to. I have a relative that is a class-action attorney; I'll be telling him about this as well. Most likely I won't do anything legally until I get a reply from my corporate letter.

Stephen is the HQ Executive Relations Supervisor for verizon.

Verizon already has a class action lawsuit filed against them for a blackberry models gps being locked.

I say go ahead and start another one to drive to point home.

Im even thinking about posting a video on youtube breaking my omnia(or at least a shell of one, lol) to try to draw some attention to this issue.

Edited by somedude

hey yall, names jamie, been following the posts since the third, really anxious to get the gps working properly. but i have a quick issue, my volume is up and my text messages do not make any sound, i have the alert for them set, still nothing. i believe that the sms threaded tweak i used may have caused it to be silent, but not sure, if anyone can help please respond

ehhh, fellas. I dunno how many of you have tried that latest Google Maps but I just installed it on a whim and it works perfectly...It found me within 15 seconds.

http://www.google.com/gmm/GoogleMaps.CAB

Downloaded that .cab and put it in my storage and started it up. My gps location is off though. It shows me 1 block north of where I actually am. I am going to go for a drive and let it get outside and try it. I am sitting in my house on the 1st floor and it picked me up within 20 seconds everytime I open it [tried 3 times].

Edited by Nvious

Guest Aximtreo
ehhh, fellas. I dunno how many of you have tried that latest Google Maps but I just installed it on a whim and it works perfectly...It found me within 15 seconds.

Downloaded that .cab and put it in my storage and started it up. My gps location is off though. It shows me 1 block north of where I actually am. I am going to go for a drive and let it get outside and try it. I am sitting in my house on the 1st floor and it picked me up within 20 seconds everytime I open it [tried 3 times].

Are you using an external GPS receiver and are you connected by broadband for it to work. I found this out a couple of days ago and posted that. I use the Freedom 2000 and Google maps with the data connection active and it worked quite well. Now if we could use it without having to connect to Verizon broadband, we would all be happy.

Guest krelvinaz
My gps location is off though. It shows me 1 block north of where I actually am. I am going to go for a drive and let it get outside and try it. I am sitting in my house on the 1st floor and it picked me up within 20 seconds everytime I open it [tried 3 times].

I'm guessing that you are not using an external GPS and that you have My Location working. If the case, that is using Cell Tower info to locate your position and is not real accurate like using a real GPS.

I've never seen My Location work, though I have just loaded the new version. It never worked in my i760 either. Might be the location I am in though.

When I used my external GPS with it, it was dead on. I expected the Sat view to show me smiling up at it in my truck. Well not that close.

Edited by krelvinaz

Guest krelvinaz

That wasn't even a full review. I suspect they "assumed" that it worked with Google Maps because the i900 did.

Its been 20 some days since they posted that and they have not followed up with a full review since they posted that article.

It doesn’t work for me. but its 15 degrees outside, so ill try again tomorrow on the way to work.

Guest phantomguy1
It doesn’t work for me. but its 15 degrees outside, so ill try again tomorrow on the way to work.

tried the new google cab and it doesnt work..... still cant find the gps... no system ping.... my location is not working. ah well.....

Guest angel12

Let me try to explain this issue to the best of my knowledge. Verizon locked the GPS drivers up, the same way that they did with the xv6800 and xv6900. I dont have an omnia yet to confirm this, but that would make perfect sense. Just adding the registry key that lets you see the external gps control panel does nothing besides add an icon, i can do that on a treo 700x/wx which doesnt have a GPS chip. Fixing the GPS might be a possibility, but afaik the only way they unlocked the 6800 and 6900 was a custom rom that removed certain dll's from the rom itself and replaced them with working roms. I am currently working on a kitchen, but the tools for the gsm omnia are not working correctly. I should get my omnia saturday to continue testing it, but IMO try to fix the gps before trying to get a custom rom working is futile.

Guest maldonj1

I would love nothing more than to unlock it and throw it in verizons face, esp since my gf works for "The Man" and i always give her crap about thier products. i have tried both gogle maps anda live search and both sit there saying searching for satellites...live search says enabling gps, then getting position... but just sits there so i know it is talking to the gps and enabling it, just seems like its not allowing the gps to communicate out. just my thoughts

Guest jbullington
tried the new google cab and it doesnt work..... still cant find the gps... no system ping.... my location is not working. ah well.....

Same here the new google maps show me in San Francisco instead of upstate ny. When I have it look for gps it just sits and spins (20 minute drive to work and no sats). I tried turning both location/911 on/off makes no difference.

The person who got it to work with google maps, did you previously make any registry or settings changes?

Guest maldonj1

heres what i did see, i downloaded the vznavigator 1 day trial, installed it and rebooted, got the updates for it, launched it and got my location, left it running and launched live search, about 10 sec in the arrow went from grey to orange and gave me lat long coords but the damn map went light blue and didnt show me any streets.

Guest krelvinaz

Note that if you want to play with VZNavigator, Verizon has a one month free program right now.

I set it up and it didn't work the first couple days. When I finally got it to work, I found it to be lacking especially when you compare it to something like Google map or Live Search. Navigation is not what I am looking for anyway so I uninstalled it, called Verizon and told them I would not be using it.

I can't imagine running that buggy thing just so I can attempt to use other 3rd party apps with the GPS.

So I will ether keep using my BT GPS which works great or hopefully an unlock method gets found/developed/released.

It is hard to tell if the internal GPS when unlocked would be as good as my BT GPS though so there may not be a big benefit in the internal one.

Edited by krelvinaz

Guest JASTECH
Can someone create a forum just for the I910 so no one gets confused with the I900 users rambling on.

pazminoj, That is not very nice. We are trying to the GPS issue resolved and it may take awhile. You seem to be very spunky for your 2nd post

to order others around :rolleyes:

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

Guest mstnggt500kr
pazminoj, That is not very nice. We are trying to the GPS issue resolved and it may take awhile. You seem to be very spunky for your 2nd post

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

Couldn't agree more. Heck, a lot of the I900 users have helped me solve other issues, and have more experience with other software.

Can someone create a forum just for the I910 so no one gets confused with the I900 users rambling on.

wow just stay out of our post then!

way to make us feel like family! :rolleyes:

Guest Buster72

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

There are plenty of us around here that appreciate the effort to keep this thread alive in hopes of resolve. I have done my homework and searched around, this seems to be the most dedicated thread regarding the matter.

Hats off to all of experience helping out. Thank You!

In the event of funds being in need to complete this project. I will Donate!

Guest maldonj1

such a shame, its such an awesome phone, if verizno didnt muck up the gps, other thn the the metal stylus swinging around the glass screen would be my other gripe.

by the way, whoever the genius is that figures out the gps solution, you will most likely be famous!

Edited by maldonj1

Guest paradizelost

you do realize that the title of this thread is "UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!" there is NO WAY you can confuse this with an i900 thread unless you are incapable of reading

Guest poohkc22

Just throwing my hat (wallet) in the ring for anyone who can alleviate this headache. Keeping a very close eye on this. Thank you to everyone who's giving their time.

Guest Devin C

Yeah I was hopeful when I subscribed to VZ Navigator service and got the GPS unlocked and then tried to piggyback Google Maps. On a few Com Ports (5,7, and 8) I actually got the Initializing GPS message but then it just spun forever.

I would have to guess that Verizon reads the more popular hacking and cooking forums and has employed counters to the solution for the XV 6800.

Until the GPS can be unlocked, I will use VZ Navigator. Yep...it is nowhere near as good as Google Maps or Live Search...but it is better than nothing.

Devin

Guest pjsockett

If you can actually get it to look for sats then it may not be an issue of unlocking the gps but unlocking the agps. With gps unlocked on my 6900 it still takes a really long time to lock, if at all, if it's not set for verizon agps server. People have tried qpst but there may be more to it with this phone.