UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest M Moogle

Breakthrough!!!!

Reading about attempts to get the GPS working on the Saga here (http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/samsung-sch-i770/120836-i770-gps-hack-4.html) I tried the following:

1) Download Skywing's GPSTest program

2) Unplug the phone from a USB cable or charger

3) Soft reset and put the phone near a window

4) Immediately run the GPSTest program and wait a minute or two. It will look like the program isnt doing anything - wait a little bit....

5) VALID GPS COORDINATES!

The coordinates can be plugged into mapquest here: http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

In my case, they were exactly on - it put me pretty much right in my bedroom of my house where I'm sitting now.

Guest unlazyfree
Breakthrough!!!!

Reading about attempts to get the GPS working on the Saga here (http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/samsung-sch-i770/120836-i770-gps-hack-4.html) I tried the following:

1) Download Skywing's GPSTest program

2) Unplug the phone from a USB cable or charger

3) Soft reset and put the phone near a window

4) Immediately run the GPSTest program and wait a minute or two. It will look like the program isnt doing anything - wait a little bit....

5) VALID GPS COORDINATES!

The coordinates can be plugged into mapquest here: http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

In my case, they were exactly on - it put me pretty much right in my bedroom of my house where I'm sitting now.

I'm trying to follow their directions but it's kind of hard to..here's what I get

when I try to copy the file over (or the zip), I click it and it's an executable, not a link (when it's copied over). even when i zip it and send it over, same thing. when I click it, I get an error message saying something along the lines of not being able to run the app (or find it, i can't remember).

Another interesting find, when he's talking about editing oemgps.dll, I found that I have oemgpsone.dll (which is what it says to copy it to).

Also I can't access /windows/start menu from my laptop, but i was able to copy it to my device then copy it to the right location.

Guest M Moogle
Thanks for the file.

how long?

I've been "waiting to acquire gps fix..." for about 4 minutes.

Took about 30 seconds once the program opened up. Try closing and reopening the program - I had it sit there once like that too, but that fixed it.

Guest hatchback19

Nice work M Moogle. I am deffiently getting some data back from the GPS reciever. I am unable to confirm weather its valid since I am at work, but I'll do some more testing after work. It appears to be locking onto 3/8 sattelites and giving me some coordinates. I will check back in a few hours with some more information. With any luck I'll get a solid lock and be able to tell if it's the correct loction. This looks promoising!

Nice work M Moogle. I am deffiently getting some data back from the GPS reciever. I am unable to confirm weather its valid since I am at work, but I'll do some more testing after work. It appears to be locking onto 3/8 sattelites and giving me some coordinates. I will check back in a few hours with some more information. With any luck I'll get a solid lock and be able to tell if it's the correct loction. This looks promoising!

have u tried running google maps with gpstest running to see if it works?

i would try it myself but based on this: http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-r...rs/#entry944719

also i think someone already tried gpstest so im not going to subject myself to another failure :rolleyes:

Guest krelvinaz

I gave it a try and within 30 seconds it was talking to the chip and getting satellites. In less than a minute, I had 7 sats sitting about 15 feet in an easy chair away from the window.

I tried to get to google, but stopped the app by accident and it doesn't want to start up again. I think you need to do a soft reset each time.

Guest krelvinaz

I tried it again, soft reset and again it worked. Had 9 sats almost immediately. I can't seem to minimize it though to try to use google maps.

Not sure if that would work though even if I could.

Restarting the app again, several minutes later, it found the sats again so I am not sure if it is because I ran it twice at the same time.. or what.

It doesn't show up when you execute it right away, there is a delay before the screen does anything.

Guest krelvinaz

I have it sync'd now and it still works... Here is a screen shot.

Note that I am more than 15 ft away from the window... It is having no problems getting sats. Will try in the morning outside to see what it looks like.

post-65252-1229158571_thumb.png

Edited by krelvinaz

Guest hatchback19
I have it sync'd now and it still works... Here is a screen shot.

Note that I am more than 15 ft away from the window... It is having no problems getting sats. Will try in the morning outside to see what it looks like.

I'll try mine out whenever I get home, looks like its working out. Just have to get GoogleMaps or other GPS software to work with it, by the way nice pool :rolleyes:

Guest hatchback19

Just got home, and had a chance to play with the program. I also am receiving the correct coordinates from the GPSTest program, so I would say this is promising news! One interesting thing I noticed while driving home the "Speed" was incorrect, now I'm not sure if it's measured in Miles Per Hour, if so it was almost exactly 10mph less then actual. I tried using GoogleMaps and Live search but the program closes as soon as you switch tasks, I'm not sure if this is a bug or wasn't made for 6.1 as this is my first use of the program. I'm going to play more with it, and see if I can't figure anything else out. Nice job once again M Moogle!

Just got home, and had a chance to play with the program. I also am receiving the correct coordinates from the GPSTest program, so I would say this is promising news! One interesting thing I noticed while driving home the "Speed" was incorrect, now I'm not sure if it's measured in Miles Per Hour, if so it was almost exactly 10mph less then actual. I tried using GoogleMaps and Live search but the program closes as soon as you switch tasks, I'm not sure if this is a bug or wasn't made for 6.1 as this is my first use of the program. I'm going to play more with it, and see if I can't figure anything else out. Nice job once again M Moogle!

I'm new to Windows Mobile and this forum. I've had my Omnia i910 for a week now and found this forum as a result of a search for a solution to this GPS issue. I just wanted to thank you folks. In addition to solving this GPS issue you folks have been providing me with quite an education. Thank you.

Guest cbusguy26

Well done everyone. Sorry that my first post isn't offering much help but I just wanted to let you guys know that there are a lot of people that are very thankful for the effort you all are putting into getting the gps to work. I'm in for a donation keep up the good work!

Guest Brutus82

This little app pegged me dead on within 10 seconds of starting it. I've made no changes to my i910 from Verizon other than adding Google Maps in the hopes to get it to work. Of course this little app simply pulls out the data to view and can not be used as a go between i.e. driver for programs such as Google Maps. (at least that is what my simple mind believes to be true, hehe)

Still this is good news that another app other than sucky VZ Navigator can pull accurate data from the internal GPS.

Sorry this post has nothing to add in helping to come up with a solution to all our i910 GPS woes. :rolleyes:

Took about 30 seconds once the program opened up. Try closing and reopening the program - I had it sit there once like that too, but that fixed it.

Everyone who has it working already knew this, but for the boneheads like me, don't forget to turn on the GPS under settings-->phone-->services. After that, it found my location quickly.

Edited by dhoppy

I too have the application running, however what I have noticed is that the lat/long is inverted. In other words where lat should read 43 it is reflected as 84 which is the longitude. That would throw a large error into the accuracy of position, hence what vz was doing when you try to use another application. For those who have accurate position data, did you ever install VZ? I have and that might matter in my particular situation.

Guest Brutus82
I too have the application running, however what I have noticed is that the lat/long is inverted. In other words where lat should read 43 it is reflected as 84 which is the longitude. That would throw a large error into the accuracy of position, hence what vz was doing when you try to use another application. For those who have accurate position data, did you ever install VZ? I have and that might matter in my particular situation.

No, I've only installed Google Maps and nothing else, no downloading VZ Nav, no reg edits, nothing but a clean slate and Google Maps. I too realized the Lat/Long numbers were switched coming from gpstest.exe so when I plugged in the information into http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp I simply switched the two numbers to get an accurate location.

Guest tyrelsackett
No, I've only installed Google Maps and nothing else, no downloading VZ Nav, no reg edits, nothing but a clean slate and Google Maps. I too realized the Lat/Long numbers were switched coming from gpstest.exe so when I plugged in the information into http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp I simply switched the two numbers to get an accurate location.

Where did you install the gpstest program on the phone?

Guest Brutus82
Where did you install the gpstest program on the phone?

I installed it on my 8gig storage card I installed. That is the only thing on this card, I installed Google Maps on "My Storage"

Guest mpenrod

I too can get a fix on my i910 using GPSTest after a reboot.

Is there some way we can get a proxy software written to handle the requests. Obviously there is a way to address the radio and it is functioning, now how to get usable output.

Edited by mpenrod

I too can get a fix on my i910 using GPSTest after a reboot.

Is there some way we can get a proxy software written to handle the requests. Obviously there is a way to address the radio and it is functioning, now how to get usable output.

will incorrect data (speed and altitude for me) be a problem in google maps, or other nav software?

I get a message "Failed to initialize GPSSec" when I try running GPSTest. I have been messing with my COM settings and such on my GPS. Are there certain values I need?

BTW, I just found this thread yesterday and was happy to see a group as passionate as me about solving this issue. I have 3.5 weeks before I have to make the decision to keep this phone or return it. I have no intention of keeping it with a diabled GPS, so hopefully we can get a scolution. Count me in for any donation or experimenting required.

I get a message "Failed to initialize GPSSec" when I try running GPSTest. I have been messing with my COM settings and such on my GPS. Are there certain values I need?

BTW, I just found this thread yesterday and was happy to see a group as passionate as me about solving this issue. I have 3.5 weeks before I have to make the decision to keep this phone or return it. I have no intention of keeping it with a diabled GPS, so hopefully we can get a scolution. Count me in for any donation or experimenting required.

The "failed to initialize GPSSec" error is related to running two instances of gpstest. You'll need to do a soft reset to kill the instances of gpstest. When you run gpstest, just wait. It won't look like it's working, but it will pop up. Sometimes takes about 30 seconds.