UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest JASTECH
You need to delete the "Redirect" entry in order for the icon to show up.

I did, then after reset it was there but now it finally left for good, lol. This phone seems to be a little more stuborn than the other one. This one has the same ROM, but I didn't check the last one.

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

Guest wingnut_2u

Just a quick not here....

I returned my phone two weeks ago because the emails I downloaded through imap off our exchange server would disappear whenever a new mail check would take place. After hours on the phone with Samsung and Verizon they both said this should not be happening. In the bullfrog store I immediately set up imap and downloaded email and did a recheck and sure as ... the emails stayed. Keep in mind I know how servers and clients work as far as keeping mail on server after check and so forth.

in a nut shell I have noticed things working for a few people and not for others, putting aside the noob factor.

it just may be that the rom images were dumped to the phones without error checking at a high rate of speed or some thing thus giving each of us different anomalies from broken dll code.

Just a thought.

i keep looking into this forum all hours of the day hoping for someones success, but no new posts are being added. anyone having any luck? or does anyone have something they are in the process of using/creating?

Guest JASTECH

And I had to format so lost all my tools. That hurts and kind of a downer. I would have to get the tools again and dump my ROM and start over. But I may end up jumping ship to AT&T if Verizon charges me the Data Plan as I used insurance to replace my Unlocked Non-Verizon. If they say I have to then I will be in a argument for a couple hours and call them many times all hours of the day and night. If they still want to do this then I will have to buy a GSM version.

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

Guest pillagingjack
And I had to format so lost all my tools. That hurts and kind of a downer. I would have to get the tools again and dump my ROM and start over. But I may end up jumping ship to AT&T if Verizon charges me the Data Plan as I used insurance to replace my Unlocked Non-Verizon. If they say I have to then I will be in a argument for a couple hours and call them many times all hours of the day and night. If they still want to do this then I will have to buy a GSM version.

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

Could it really be? THE JASTECH!! God, I was hoping to find you on the omnia and when I was talking over at pdaphonehome, someone said they saw you here! Now I know where to go! Good to see we got you on our side here!

Nate

Guest maldonj1

ok so tonight i just felt like playing with the settings again and i changed my baud rate on the gps settings to 33600 then launched live search and went to maps, and selected use gps and it went directly to my location!! now its still saying getting position but its exactly on my location!

can someone else try these settings and post your results??

mind you i have nothing else running as far as gpstest or server or whatnot, just a vanilla omnia

ok i am able to repeat it over and over, however it is changing the baud rate back to 4800 then it just sits there,

ive also gotten the gps to go to my location with the highest baud rate of 115600, then when i go back to the settings its back to 4800

Edited by maldonj1

Guest mack727

Hi guys. I finally went to the verzon store to test out the omnia. Ide have to say i was very dissapointed. Very glitchy, slow and i could not use the key board (might be because of my huge hands). The phone on paper is amazing but it is not for me. Not sure what im going to get yet. Might be the touch pro or the storm. Couldnt play with the touch pro cause the battery was dead (not a good sign), but i really liked the storm. I really enjoyed this forum and i really learned alot from you guys. I made 2 of the sales reps look stupid cause i knew so much more about this phone. It was funny. Well anyway, Good luck with unlocking the GPS.

Guest paradizelost
ok so tonight i just felt like playing with the settings again and i changed my baud rate on the gps settings to 33600 then launched live search and went to maps, and selected use gps and it went directly to my location!! now its still saying getting position but its exactly on my location!

can someone else try these settings and post your results??

mind you i have nothing else running as far as gpstest or server or whatnot, just a vanilla omnia

ok i am able to repeat it over and over, however it is changing the baud rate back to 4800 then it just sits there,

ive also gotten the gps to go to my location with the highest baud rate of 115600, then when i go back to the settings its back to 4800

I think you must have looked up your address in live at some point, and when you open it up and hit use gps, it's just pulling up the last address search you did. It does that same thing to me with the last search i did. Try looking up some place like paris france and then turn on GPS, and i think it'll tell you that you're in france.

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
Hi guys. I finally went to the verzon store to test out the omnia. Ide have to say i was very dissapointed. Very glitchy, slow and i could not use the key board (might be because of my huge hands). The phone on paper is amazing but it is not for me. Not sure what im going to get yet. Might be the touch pro or the storm. Couldnt play with the touch pro cause the battery was dead (not a good sign), but i really liked the storm. I really enjoyed this forum and i really learned alot from you guys. I made 2 of the sales reps look stupid cause i knew so much more about this phone. It was funny. Well anyway, Good luck with unlocking the GPS.

haha, I came to Verizon store last weekend since years ago and the demo V Omnia touch screen was all softened up due to many tried it. It is noticebly slower than my Singapore custom ROM even it is a few earlier ver J6 (thanks to Passeo). It was very funny too at a nearby ATT store with lots of people and six demo iPhones 3G. Embarassing was that one of the pair kept switching back to wifi and 3G right in front of a not so knowledgeable sales rep who happened later to own an earlier version iPhone. Anyway Google maps on iPhone via 3G still showed an approximation blue circle but my Omnia on EDGE with a 5 sec lock just outside the store showed a blue dot, no blue circle around it B) . Then playing a saved youtube clip, Carrera GT by Brian Zuk (7:20min), showed a much better video display than the same iPhone via 3G. If you watch the clip when it showed the rear tire with the word michellin that still can be seen clearly on the Omnia but almost unregconisable on iPhone, SERIOUSLY, iPhone 3G owners, it was unbelievably in front of the sales rep and myself too. Then multi tasking can not be done on iPhone when the sales rep kept on saying yes but going back to youtube from G maps just kept re-opening the search list instead of continuing to play the clip. Then the sales rep had enough of me and excused himself into the backroom for a glass of water and never came back out again while I was comparing the youtube clips :P . Then a big black dude with a small white chick walked in complaining about why his new iPhone 3G did not have a turn-by-turn GPS nav sw like he thought when buying :rolleyes: . I did not say anything when another sales rep frantically rushed over to the other iPhone next to me trying to search for a GPS nav from the apps store :) . Now pointing to the GPS nav sw on my Omnia I got to say to the black dude "is this like this" and he said, yeah and asked me what kind of app is that, thinking my Omnia is an iPhone, lol. So I explained to him and indirectly to the sales rep who was still trying to seach from the apps store that I got a Samsung Omnia running on winmo so there are many good hacked apps to load it up, not by a control freak Apple apps store. Then both of them started complaining about how Apple could not have a simple GPS nav sw in the iPhone 3G and I told them to sue Apple, lol. I probably pissed them off by even checking the nav sw volume with the cool female voice "destination" a few times, lol. Anyway I spent some time with the iPhone 3G and honestly all I got impressed was its games :( , nice and colorful but some of them are hard to control (kart racing, monkey ball) and I am very good with game controller. Full webpage rendering via 3G on iPhone is not that impressive, still slow and showed blank sections when scrolling and loading. So not venture further into camera, cut and paste, DivX playback, Office and other cool apps that iPhone 3G lacks.

I still LOVE my unlocked Omnia even costs $$ but so far no other PDA phones now can beat it, even when I walked back to a Best Buy store nearby to tell a phone sales rep guy there who happened to know and love cell phones, he just kept asking me to hack his new Eternity to look like mine with SPB shell (this skin will make iPhone owners eye roll, lol). Not to mention that I met him earlier without showing my phone yet until this time. Back then he pulled out his Eternity and told me "I traded my iPhone 3G for this" because it has $10 month Telenav from ATT and video recording, plus it is cheaper too :( . Anyway when I showed him my nav sw can play a demo of the routed destination with simulated speed limits and turn by turn street name voice, he was like "wow, I should have got this phone but it was too expensive". And the Omnia GPS sensitivity continues to impress me with a 4/5 GPS lock (sometimes x/12 scale?) inside the BB store. It seems to remain locked to the GPS signal after an initial lock, even after exiting the nav app :D . I can't wait to get my hands on the N97 next year.

Guest M Moogle

Can somebody who actually knows what they're doing with a disassembler, .dll files, and drivers look into the following for me?

In the rilcdma.dll driver (which is the driver that interfaces with the CDMA radio hardware) located on the phone, there are a whole ton of GPS related functions, including what looks to me like the hardware initialization, location requests, and a bunch of GPS locking/encryption related items! Looking at the equivalent rilgsm.dll from a GSM Omnia, none of these functions/routines exist. I'm thinking that the rilcdma.dll driver is what is setting up the encrypted GPS output.

So, I'm thinking the following approaches can be taken from here:

1) Somebody (not me) who understands .dll files figures out the sequence of calls that are made to initalize the GPS hardware, and makes it "skip" the part that sets up the encryption. Then we try to talk directly to the GPS hardware COM port (and ignore the Windows Managed GPS settings and GPSServer)

2) Find a rilcdma.dll from a very similar phone and try replacing it (which most likely won't work and just kill the radio). Or just figuring out what the version on the Verizon Omnia is doing compared to a phone that doesn't lock down the GPS hardware.

The rilcdma.dll file can be found from a ROM dump of the phone. PM me for the file ONLY IF you're capable of doing something with it.

Guest wingnut_2u
Can somebody who actually knows what they're doing with a disassembler, .dll files, and drivers look into the following for me?

In the rilcdma.dll driver (which is the driver that interfaces with the CDMA radio hardware) located on the phone, there are a whole ton of GPS related functions, including what looks to me like the hardware initialization, location requests, and a bunch of GPS locking/encryption related items! Looking at the equivalent rilgsm.dll from a GSM Omnia, none of these functions/routines exist. I'm thinking that the rilcdma.dll driver is what is setting up the encrypted GPS output.

So, I'm thinking the following approaches can be taken from here:

1) Somebody (not me) who understands .dll files figures out the sequence of calls that are made to initalize the GPS hardware, and makes it "skip" the part that sets up the encryption. Then we try to talk directly to the GPS hardware COM port (and ignore the Windows Managed GPS settings and GPSServer)

2) Find a rilcdma.dll from a very similar phone and try replacing it (which most likely won't work and just kill the radio). Or just figuring out what the version on the Verizon Omnia is doing compared to a phone that doesn't lock down the GPS hardware.

The rilcdma.dll file can be found from a ROM dump of the phone. PM me for the file ONLY IF you're capable of doing something with it.

were you able to open up the radio layer proxy up in PE explorer? What program did you use to open the dll? I get about 1/3 loaded then locks up PE.

The main ril.dll opens and then hangs for me. I may have ripped the roms incorrectly or my slow pos box needs an upgrade.

Guest nexvision
were you able to open up the radio layer proxy up in PE explorer? What program did you use to open the dll? I get about 1/3 loaded then locks up PE.

The main ril.dll opens and then hangs for me. I may have ripped the roms incorrectly or my slow pos box needs an upgrade.

If someone wants to upload one from the GSM version I should have time to rip it apart this weekend maybe even today before I go out. Although knowing VzW they way I do I would bet it is more likely in the PRI and I havent been able to get DMRouter working to get into the device yet as lack of time and was without for a couple days since I bricked it and had to get it replaced.

Edited by nexvision

Guest M Moogle

I was able to open the rilcdma.dll file in a trial version of IDA Pro, but unfortunately that's getting beyond what I'm capable of understanding. I'm not familiar with ARM assembly code (MIPS I have a good grasp of seeing as I had to design a MIPS cpu and compiler for a CS class). I was able to sorta trace the execution path of initializing the GPS, I think. You can see the names of routines in the dll file by just looking at it in Notepad. It seems Samsung left a lot of debugging code in some of the driver dlls - can anyone figure out how to enable it?

If someone wants to upload one from the GSM version I should have time to rip it apart this weekend maybe even today before I go out. Although knowing VzW they way I do I would bet it is more likely in the PRI and I havent been able to get DMRouter working to get into the device yet as lack of time and was without for a couple days since I bricked it and had to get it replaced.

You can get the GSM version by downloading one of the GSM roms available in the ROM section, and then using the ROM kitchen available to dump the files out of it. I was able to get QPST to recognize my phone and dump stuff by opening the control panel item called "Data Connection" and switching it to "As the modem through USB", and then installing the Samsung modem drivers. However, I can't find any references to a PRI anywhere using any of the PST tools. Do Samsung phones use a PRI like HTC phones do?

Guest JASTECH

I copied this from samsung-omnia.org

"I was talking to the corporate rep our company got our phones from and he said that yes they are going to unlock the GPS in the first quarter of next year. There were threats of a class action suit against them and they bowed down. That and he said something about Verizon selling Android phones when they come out.

Me do this :rolleyes:

We had almost 3k signatures on a petition and I talked to the attorney running the class action suit against Verizon over the BlackBerry GPS lockup. I sent him all the evidence I could locate. So I guess I did my part for the Omnia i910 users."

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

Guest somedude

"I was talking to the corporate rep our company got our phones from and he said that yes they are going to unlock the GPS in the first quarter of next year. There were threats of a class action suit against them and they bowed down. That and he said something about Verizon selling Android phones when they come out.

We had almost 3k signatures on a petition and I talked to the attorney running the class action suit against Verizon over the BlackBerry GPS lockup. I sent him all the evidence I could locate. So I guess I did my part for the Omnia i910 users."

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

So its looking like march of 09 is the latest we should see the fix. That fix cant come quick enough!

These companies dont care about how their customers feel.

The ONLY reason why verizon is unlocking the GPS is because their money was threatened with that lawsuit. Money is the only language these corporations understand.

Guest Apocalyptix

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

Great Work Jas Thanks!

Guest maldonj1
I think you must have looked up your address in live at some point, and when you open it up and hit use gps, it's just pulling up the last address search you did. It does that same thing to me with the last search i did. Try looking up some place like paris france and then turn on GPS, and i think it'll tell you that you're in france.

you are correct and beat to the punch, i had my address right there in the list, and it went right to it, my apologies for the false alarm, but at least show we have not given up

Guest paradizelost
you are correct and beat to the punch, i had my address right there in the list, and it went right to it, my apologies for the false alarm, but at least show we have not given up

Yep, it got me a couple of times too right off the bat.

Guest 1truekevin
Returned my Omnia on day 30 today...SCREW YOU VERIZON, I'm keeping my $30 a month. I went out and bought a GPS instead. In addition to that, I'm strongly thinking of dumping V all together when my contract expires in another two months. Open up GPS (not just TALK about it), and MAYBE I'll think of staying, and hey there Big Red, I'M SURE I'M NOT ALONE. This site is one the most powerful ones on the 'Net and it has LOTS of users just lurking out there in the weeds, watching and reading EVERY post about your crippled phones. Pay attention!

P.S. - Hey there Aleis! Hang in there Bro...

Yeah me too...luckily they extended my return date until after CES and MacWorld, so I'm hoping to see what other phones are around the corner that will make it really worth my ETF to screw Verizon. Been on "the network" for 4 years waiting for them to get decent phones, now I've got way too many trust issues with VZW to sit around and wait for them to keep their word with the phone and contract I have now.

Buhbye "the network". Hello anybody else that doesn't do this to me.

Guest M Moogle

Attached are two rilcdma.dll files, one from the Omnia, another from the Samsung Ace (for Sprint).

The Ace is a somewhat recent CDMA (and GSM) phone from Samsung. The Ace's rilcdma.dll file doesn't have any of the GPS Security related items in it like the Omnia one does. Hopefully this can help someone out in determining if the rilcdma.dll file is where the lock is. Don't bother trying the Ace's dll file on the Omnia - the radio doesn't work until the file is reset back to the ROM version.

Another thought I had today - how does E911 work when the GPS is locked down? I though the basic premise behind it was that when placing an emergency call, the phone will transmit it's coordinates using the internal GPS if possible. If the output is encrypted, how does this happen? Does the phone temporarily stop the encrypted output, not use the GPS at all, decrypt it before sending it on to 911, or just not use the GPS at all and just do tower triangulation?

I tried setting my own number as an emergency number in the phone settings, and then calling myself (getting voicemall) and the firing up Google Maps. No dice. Worth a try.

rilcdmafiles.rar