UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest SlangMarket.Com
Attached are two rilcdma.dll files, one from the Omnia, another from the Samsung Ace (for Sprint).

The Ace is a somewhat recent CDMA (and GSM) phone from Samsung. The Ace's rilcdma.dll file doesn't have any of the GPS Security related items in it like the Omnia one does. Hopefully this can help someone out in determining if the rilcdma.dll file is where the lock is. Don't bother trying the Ace's dll file on the Omnia - the radio doesn't work until the file is reset back to the ROM version.

Another thought I had today - how does E911 work when the GPS is locked down? I though the basic premise behind it was that when placing an emergency call, the phone will transmit it's coordinates using the internal GPS if possible. If the output is encrypted, how does this happen? Does the phone temporarily stop the encrypted output, not use the GPS at all, decrypt it before sending it on to 911, or just not use the GPS at all and just do tower triangulation?

I tried setting my own number as an emergency number in the phone settings, and then calling myself (getting voicemall) and the firing up Google Maps. No dice. Worth a try.

rilcdmafiles.rar

I have been following this post for some time now and believe the project at hand is quite a headache. However, I agree with you, regarding E911. The question is whether the GPS coordinates are transmitted directly to emergency responders or if the data is stored on the phone in a manner that can be displayed in real time. It doesn’t appear as if the GPS is “locked” at all, it seems to be more a case of being “selectively disabled” by Verizon. Then again, I am far less knowledgeable on the subject as the vast majority of the other posers here.

Edited by SlangMarket.Com

Guest xxmadhatter

hey, ive been watching this thread since it started and this is my first time posting posting. first off i wanted to thank you all for working on fixing this and y'all are doing amazing! my point in posting is this though, i live in the DC area and was searching craigslist for a job, and all them were looking for different kinds of developers. so it just hit me, my area is computer programers paradise, seeing how were all willing to pay for a fix, what if someone put an ad out just real general like, saying looking for super genius winmo developer? this was just a thought that hit me. what does anyone think on that?

Guest rapcon
hey, ive been watching this thread since it started and this is my first time posting posting. first off i wanted to thank you all for working on fixing this and y'all are doing amazing! my point in posting is this though, i live in the DC area and was searching craigslist for a job, and all them were looking for different kinds of developers. so it just hit me, my area is computer programers paradise, seeing how were all willing to pay for a fix, what if someone put an ad out just real general like, saying looking for super genius winmo developer? this was just a thought that hit me. what does anyone think on that?

Sounds good to me.

Guest somedude

It sounds like a good idea, but someone who is a winmo genius is going to want big $$$ for helping us.

I dont think its worth the effort. We're already in 2009, and verizon said they will unlock the gps in the 'first quarter'(meaning march will be the latest).

I know they have had a lawsuit filed against them, plus they get tons of emails from angry customers, so i bet the fix will come in a few weeks.

Guest rapcon
It sounds like a good idea, but someone who is a winmo genius is going to want big $$$ for helping us.

I dont think its worth the effort. We're already in 2009, and verizon said they will unlock the gps in the 'first quarter'(meaning march will be the latest).

I know they have had a lawsuit filed against them, plus they get tons of emails from angry customers, so i bet the fix will come in a few weeks.

Given the Vzw track record, you are VERY optimistic. All I know is that I love the phone and the missing link is the GPS issue, so I hope you are right.

Guest dave124
I have been following this post for some time now and believe the project at hand is quite a headache. However, I agree with you, regarding E911. The question is whether the GPS coordinates are transmitted directly to emergency responders or if the data is stored on the phone in a manner that can be displayed in real time. It doesn’t appear as if the GPS is “locked” at all, it seems to be more a case of being “selectively disabled” by Verizon. Then again, I am far less knowledgeable on the subject as the vast majority of the other posers here.

I spoke with a 911 operator in So.Cal about E911. She told me that they only get cell site info and not exact locations. Also, I was helping a woman that had a seizure and another woman stopped to help as well. The woman called 911. The 911 operator asked for her location and she didn't know it but said her cell phone had E911. The operator still needed her location. Since I knew where I was, I took the phone and gave the operator our location. I don't think the answer is in how E911 works.

Taking my phone back to Verizon tomorrow. I hope they extend my trial period. Love the phone, just not convinced yet.

Guest somedude
Given the Vzw track record, you are VERY optimistic. All I know is that I love the phone and the missing link is the GPS issue, so I hope you are right.

Well actually, given the Verizon track record we should be due for a gps unlock, since the gps was recently unlocked for the Blackberry 8130 and 8330.

The HTC Touch, Omnia and Saga should be next in line. I doubt verizon backs out of their word since they have already started unlocking the gps on other devices.

Guest virgilx2

I have dedicated a lot of time on the PPC5050 that has an actual GPS antenna. With no luck. You can only connect and receive the latitude and longitude. These units are AGPS not GPS. However in the last year cellphone providers dropped the "A" since people did not accept it as well as the did with the GPS. Im sure you guys know that AGPS will just locate you within a 50ft accuracy. If you use a VZ software you will notice that it will show the arrow far from where you are. But sometimes it will be very accurate because the towers are really close to each other.

Well that said.

I have a verizon i910 but my radio rom seem to be corupted since my phone side of the unit will not turn on. Everything works. I tryed **772 with no luck it will tell me to turn the phone on but it will not turn on. Anybody has the radio rom that i can upload? Also any idea how to get to diag mode? I will apreciuate any help.

Also this is odd. I have a Diamond VZ but i disconnected it because i moved to sprint. The phone will not dial out because it is not activated. But the internet work great. Odd. I will try to pull the info and post it. This will make a great mobile modem.

thank you

Guest DeekGeek

Hi guys,

I am a lurker with an idea. From what I have read, the Omnias sold in Britain have the GPS function unlocked. Seems they are not the same type of blood sucking leeches that VZW seem to be.

My question is: Is there any percentage in contacting a British geek forum and comparing notes? If their units can run Google, would it not help to find out what the difference is and review where we are right now?

If it is a possibility, then this site might be a good place to start.

http://cellphoneforums.net/uk-telecom-mobi...-omnia-gps.html

:rolleyes:

Guest StuNguN
Hi guys,

I am a lurker with an idea. From what I have read, the Omnias sold in Britain have the GPS function unlocked. Seems they are not the same type of blood sucking leeches that VZW seem to be.

My question is: Is there any percentage in contacting a British geek forum and comparing notes? If their units can run Google, would it not help to find out what the difference is and review where we are right now?

If it is a possibility, then this site might be a good place to start.

http://cellphoneforums.net/uk-telecom-mobi...-omnia-gps.html

:rolleyes:

DeekGeek, thats a different phone all together. GSM900= :) CDMA910=FAIL

Guest szinski

Not sure if this has been reported or not, but I ran VZ Navigator which activated the GPS. Once running, I fired up Garmin Mobile XT on the same device and immediately got a GPS fix. Awesome (so I thought).

While VZ Navigator showed my correct location (mid-Atlantic region), the Garmin software had me sitting out in the Midwest region. So, even though the internal GPS is visible with VZ Navigator running, the GPS output is purposely skewed as to make other 3rd party apps unusable.

Not sure if this has been reported or not, but I ran VZ Navigator which activated the GPS. Once running, I fired up Garmin Mobile XT on the same device and immediately got a GPS fix. Awesome (so I thought).

While VZ Navigator showed my correct location (mid-Atlantic region), the Garmin software had me sitting out in the Midwest region. So, even though the internal GPS is visible with VZ Navigator running, the GPS output is purposely skewed as to make other 3rd party apps unusable.

Read through this thread, this has been covered before... Its known that launching VZNav will unlock the GPS, but it won't decrypt the packets sent from the GPS reciever, hence the Garmin showing coordinates that way.

GOOD NEWS!!!!

the new live search can find your location without GPS!!! :rolleyes:

havent loaded it yet but HEY!

is this good news or what????????????? 

Guest szinski
GOOD NEWS!!!!

Um, you're kidding, right? How would this be possible?

Yes, you can tell Live Search what city you're in, but how does that put your exact location on the map?

Guest theMura
Um, you're kidding, right? How would this be possible?

Yes, you can tell Live Search what city you're in, but how does that put your exact location on the map?

New poster here who's been following this thread for the past few weeks. I looked into this myself. It looks like Microsoft updated Live with a "Locate Me" feature that works off your IP Address. However, at the moment I can't get it to locate me. (Not even when connected using Wi-Fi, which works for My Location in Google Maps)

Edited by theMura

GOOD NEWS!!!!

FYI - apparently older builds aren't updating using the New Client Available option within WLS. You have to get it from wls.live.com for now. And currently, the locate me function isn't working on my phone. It reports that it cannot find my current location.

FYI - apparently older builds aren't updating using the New Client Available option within WLS. You have to get it from wls.live.com for now. And currently, the locate me function isn't working on my phone. It reports that it cannot find my current location.

dude were in all the same forums! :rolleyes:

im chizzy58 if im not aleis (aleis is actually alias with a ghetto twist)

its a small windows mobile world after all :)

Edited by aleis

dude were in all the same forums! :rolleyes:

im chizzy58 if im not aleis (aleis is actually alias with a ghetto twist)

its a small windows mobile world after all :)

Hehe I think i figured that out when you started the thread over there... lol

Guest M Moogle
If someone wants to upload one from the GSM version I should have time to rip it apart this weekend maybe even today before I go out. Although knowing VzW they way I do I would bet it is more likely in the PRI and I havent been able to get DMRouter working to get into the device yet as lack of time and was without for a couple days since I bricked it and had to get it replaced.

Were you (or anyone else) able to get anywhere with this?

Guest Root-dir

so have we given up on this and are waiting for vzw or are there still people workiing on it? id be willing to test stuff i have an i910 and if any one could tell me hoow to grab files from the rom namely gpsapi.dll i think i might be able to get it working similarly to how I think think they got the saga working.

sorry about typos and low puncuation im posting from my phone =p

Verizon i910

Hey, so people are reporting that sometime when you start up google maps and then start up gpstest right away it sometimes works, from what i read in order to do this you also need to install gpsserver.zip but i've searched up and down this forum as well as on google and i can't seem to find a working link to it, the one time it was attached here it was removed. I wanted to try it out a few times and see if I could get it to work.

Also someone reported that new Google Maps works with my location, I've tried both when i'm connected to wi fi and when i'm not connected to wifi (on a no modified verizon rom) and still didn't get any location information.

I downloaded windows live search, for wm6 and still couldn't get it do my location with or without wifi.

Could this have something to do with me enabling the power saving features under advance config?

What am I missing?

And thanks for the help guys! keep up the great work!

Guest szinski

When I had my LG Voyager, I had to take my phone to Verizon to have the firmware upgraded. How does this work with the smartphones like Omnia? When the new unlocked firmware is released, will we be able to download and flash the ROM ourselves?

Guest krelvinaz

I suspect they could do it several ways.

One might be a simple application that turns on the GPS and allows it to be accessed via the WM intermediary port. Another would be a ROM update which would include other updates to perhaps fix other issues.

I doubt you would have to take it in to update. None of the other recent updates (i760 for example) did that. They were all firmware updates you downloaded and did yourself.

Guest krelvinaz

Why are you posting this here ?? This is a GPS unlocking thread, not a clone thread for a phone that is not hardware compatible with the Omnia i910 (No SIM card).

(edit awarner)

This post refers to another removed post (for those wondering what it is about)