UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest phatphat1
Im sure it will.

But seriously, keeping this on the first page will at least keep everyone aware of what the latest updates are.

Well, I for one am still in my 1st month with Verizon - coming from an HTC Kaiser and Hermes before that, the omnia is the best PDA I have ever used.

Sadly the lack of usable internal GPS is going to make me take it back as the Verizon satnav software/system is a joke, let alone having to pay for it every month.

Has anyone tried getting the guys from XDA to help out on this (even with a donation - I know I'd put in $10 to have it unlocked - anyone else?)

Guest rogerbobulater

So, if I am to purchase the Samsung Omnia from Verizon now, and then in a couple of months or so they unlock the GPS, will I be able to utilize the GPS at that point? Or will that only apply to people that buy the Omnia after they unlock it?

Guest Chugworth
So, if I am to purchase the Samsung Omnia from Verizon now, and then in a couple of months or so they unlock the GPS, will I be able to utilize the GPS at that point? Or will that only apply to people that buy the Omnia after they unlock it?

It's being unlocked (so they say) in a firmware update, which should include all Verizon Omnia phones.

i started this thread...needless to say i am the most upset!

but i whipped out my Bt gps so...im ok wit that for now.

but!

in 4 to 5 months, we will definitely be starting a revolt!

BELIEVE ME!!

Guest Root-dir

well you can more than likely expect an a fix for this coming soon due to the law of cruel irony.

see last night I broke down and ordered a blue tooth gps unit... so cruel irony would dictate that Verizon or someone will release a fix around about the time that it a arrives at my house or shortly after the return period runs out :D

despite that I would still love to see this thing fixed and while I'd prefer a non official Verizon solution because i have this lurking suspicion that if they ever do actually deliver, it will be a pay to use feature which even if they give us that much it would be easier to circomvent than the current setup.

so Im willing to do any testing if anyone has any ideas I still think it would be possible to use skywing's orginal gps server but i cant do anything about it because i cant for the life of me figure out how to rip files out of the freaking rom so if anyone would give me some insight on this it would be greatly appriceated.

somone seems to haave stolen my puncuation marks :)

Guest brownbunny
well, i beleive ya, thats why they use VZNav instead built-in chips..... k, here's what im gonna ask u first... on i900 there r 2 diff GPS settings enhanced gps and external gps, which one showed up? what program have u tried to get GPS signal? however, if the chip is not in the device, there is no way can get real GPS signal and if that is every important to u or u guys :) , VZW has 14 days return and $$ back policy.

check the registry to see if these settings r there http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-h...t-xtra-enabled/

Hi,

Sorry, this is a stupid question, but how do you check the registry?

Guest ellectronico

I have been trying Google Latitude that just came out in the new version of Google Maps. It lets you update your location Manually but i would LOVE it to update automatically.

Has anyone else tried this yet? This would be a good time to get the gps working. Any progress guys?

Perhaps it is time to e-mail [email protected] again and ask what the staus is??

Here is the response I got from Stephen today!

"I am not sure who advised you of an "imminent release" but I was quoted on the BLOGs from a response to a customer that one is expected sometime in the first half of 2009. That is really all that I know. I would guess that Samsung would be the best place to go for that information as they are the developers who will be providing that software for their device"

Guest Verrigan
Here is the response I got from Stephen today!

"I am not sure who advised you of an "imminent release" but I was quoted on the BLOGs from a response to a customer that one is expected sometime in the first half of 2009. That is really all that I know. I would guess that Samsung would be the best place to go for that information as they are the developers who will be providing that software for their device"

Thank you for your inquiry. There are no updates for the i910, nor is there an estimated date of one being released.

Do you have more questions regarding your Samsung Mobile Phone? For 24 hour information and assistance, we offer a new FAQ/ARS System (Automated Response System) at

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/faqs/supportFaq.do. It's like having your very own personal Samsung Technician at your fingertips.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Technical Support

Guest ellectronico
Until it is unlocked, Google Latitude won't work unless you are using another GPS device.

thats not true. It allows you to manually set your location.

Guest lambi1982

sorry if this has been reported before, i just couldnt read anymore after 15th page of complaining.

I tried the XTRA_GPS fine in the windows directory, I changed a couple things posted in the registry and now iGO8 actually says "GPS receiver is connected" it found it as soon as I opened the menu. Port:8 Baud 19200, this is on my i910 Verizon omnia.

it would always say there was no gps detected, so even if it wont find a sat. this is still great to see.

i will drive around tomorrow and see if i get a fix but most likely will not.

Guest Root-dir

i was playing with QPST and found something rather interesting.

Ive got to go to class at the moment but when i get back ill post the info

also I will need someone with qpst and a working i900 with working gps for comparison.

Guest phatphat1

So is there any news on this? I am taking back my Omnia (sadly) this week - I refuse to give them more money for a service that doesn't work well and I can't wait for Vz to bring out a ROM, and it is absolutely crazy to shell out for an external GPS unit when the Omnia has all the hardware already.

I noticed on some other threads they found a reg edit to stop the need for XTRA - maybe that could help too?????

Guest Root-dir
So is there any news on this? I am taking back my Omnia (sadly) this week - I refuse to give them more money for a service that doesn't work well and I can't wait for Vz to bring out a ROM, and it is absolutely crazy to shell out for an external GPS unit when the Omnia has all the hardware already.

I noticed on some other threads they found a reg edit to stop the need for XTRA - maybe that could help too?????

saddly no XTRA has nothing to do with it vzw mucked up the windows gps dlls and because they are access restriced and in the rom its not as simple as just replacing the files well technicaly we could but im a bit scared to mess with the windows policies and replace something in the rom that breaks the radio or the phone entirely..

now if we had acess to the orginal rom it would be doable but dumping it is unreliable unless we can find a vzw tech who wants to risk their job to help us out by leaking the rom (assumming they even have acess to it at all or in a format we can use)

also from looking at the non volotile RF items in qpst it looks like they are doing something sneeky in the firmware

specifically theres a value set to 3 when the standard options are 0 or 1.....

acctually you can get an external gps for a non obnoxious price i got this one its 40$ but theres an even cheaper one here Its only 25$. I wouldnt suggest returning the phone for something as trivial as this because there really isnt a better phone out there except maybe the G1 but thats an arggument for another time.

Guest theshaz

OK - I have to add to this "Thread that wont die" .....

For reasons that have been mentioned here and at other forums. Becase the hardware under hood is different enough in the i910 CMDA Verizon version than the i910 GSM, the ROMs are all different so there is nothing to work with. The Touch Pro becase of the huge DEV GROUP for HTC devices and there are other CMDA versions like Sprint & Altel that have the GPS unlocked.....the wizards had the Verizon TP's GPS unlocked pretty quick. I have a BT GPS dongle, so I can live for a short while. Now the news that Verizon is going to unlock the GPS by the end of the 1st QTR.....if you want my opinon....it will not happen until June/July with maybe a "Leaked ROM" maybe in April/May.

So this thread will stay alive with the "Any news yet?" posting. So I have a question....what will happen 1st....this thread get to 100 posts or the VZ Ominia's GPS gets popped loose?

I agree with other that this is frustrating, a wonderful device like the Omnia being limited like this.....I have VZ Nav turned on, we get 50% off on plans and features so it's not that much.....but VZ Navigator compared to free applications like Google Maps or Live Search.....not even close, both "FREE" apps blow VZ Nav out of the water.

Onwards with the insanity!!!

Guest xPosTech

I just tried using VZNav driving through Dallas. It sucked big time. :P I used it off and on a couple of years ago and it was fine. I think the failure on my part was downloading the latest instead of using 3.1.0. I was using my VX8600 BTW; I won't receive my i910 till Mon.

This will be my first PPC. I'm fairly computer literate. I climbed into my first one (literally) in the '60s. A BT GPS dongle will be no problem to install and run with GMM or other navigation S/W?

I've been with VZW for several years - I know about their promises and actions. I'm not holding my breath for the unlock. :(

Ted

PS - This site is kinda unfriendly to Firefox. Or maybe not - it's probably one of my JScript or Ad blockers. B)

Guest somedude

Why do i have the feeling that Verizon will wait until the last day of March(The end of the "1st quarter", i think) to unlock the gps?

I think they want to get as many suckers as they can to pay for that VZ navigator crap before unlocking it.

Guest Chugworth

People, don't pay Verizon a subscription fee for a feature that's built into the phone you own. I tried VZNav on my Omnia just to see how it worked, but I promised myself that I would never pay for it again.

Just be patient. The new firmware will be out eventually.

Guest Root-dir
PS - This site is kinda unfriendly to Firefox. Or maybe not - it's probably one of my JScript or Ad blockers. :(

yeah don't block jScript you wont get very far.

Guest Chugworth
yeah don't block jScript you wont get very far.

It's always baffled me why so many people block JavaScript. That really destroys the look and features of so many sites around the Internet.

Guest l8nightrick

I have to say I'm more than a little skeptical about this "firmware update" supposedly promised by Verizon. I haven't been able to find anything at all related to this news on Verizons site. Anyone can fabricate this news using a supposed name at Verizon who has the authority to make such a claim. It could well be a farce put on by Verizon themselves to simply delay the process of cracking it as to extend users dependance on their crappy VZNav. Is anyone able to provide a link to Verizon's site validating this? If not, I don't know if I'm going to hold my breath and may just go purchase a BT GPS.