UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest Chugworth
I have to say I'm more than a little skeptical about this "firmware update" supposedly promised by Verizon. I haven't been able to find anything at all related to this news on Verizons site. Anyone can fabricate this news using a supposed name at Verizon who has the authority to make such a claim. It could well be a farce put on by Verizon themselves to simply delay the process of cracking it as to extend users dependance on their crappy VZNav. Is anyone able to provide a link to Verizon's site validating this? If not, I don't know if I'm going to hold my breath and may just go purchase a BT GPS.

The only information on this is the memo from Steve Schwed. Don't expect to find anything on Verizon's site, as they wouldn't want to shine a light on the fact that they blocked it in the first place. Even the memo tries to give a BS reason as to why GPS is not available, and that encourages me to think it's legitimate. :(

First post: Thanks everyone, I learned a lot reading this thread. I originally bought the Omnia because of the GPS. I actually program GPS software for Windows Moble. Needless to say I was ANGRY :( when I finnaly found out the gps was locked. However, I found this article:

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/12/18/veriz...-next-year.html

I guess Verizon plans to unlock the GPS in their phones(us included) with a software update by 1H 2009. Long time to wait. But I guess I will keep the phone.

Edited by skanib

First post: Thanks everyone, I learned a lot reading this thread. I originally bought the Omnia because of the GPS. I actually program GPS software for Windows Moble...

dude that is cool!

i am trying to learn myself how to program for winmo, and the app i want to have made in two years more -less, is a GPS tracking app to track my son when he starts school :(

then when he is a teen and probably stop when he is 21...22 B)

dude that is cool!

i am trying to learn myself how to program for winmo, and the app i want to have made in two years more -less, is a GPS tracking app to track my son when he starts school :(

then when he is a teen and probably stop when he is 21...22 B)

I actually have something similar(Just doesn't work with the locked gps. LOL) I could probably knock something out in a couple of minutes. (Visual Studio 2008 has an SDK for smartphones, works ok) If you want to try, codeproject has a cool article on how to write your own GPS app.

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/mobile/Writi...lications1.aspx

However, remote reporting is a whole 'nother thing. That takes a service(IE a server somewhere on the net.) They have phones that do that for you already tho.

I actually have something similar(Just doesn't work with the locked gps. LOL) I could probably knock something out in a couple of minutes. (Visual Studio 2008 has an SDK for smartphones, works ok) If you want to try, codeproject has a cool article on how to write your own GPS app.

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/mobile/Writi...lications1.aspx

However, remote reporting is a whole 'nother thing. That takes a service(IE a server somewhere on the net.) They have phones that do that for you already tho.

you know, i completely forgot about this article!

THANKS! :(

this is a sign, i need to go back to working on my "learning c#" so i can create something.

might as well try to compile it B)

thanks again!

good luck on your projects and hope verizon unlocks us SOON!! :P

Guest Chugworth
This is the likely website where the GPS unlock will be posted by Samsung...

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download...p;menu=download

As a previous Treo 700Wx owner, all Verizon ROM updates were posted by the manufacturer, not Verizon. I have a web watcher monitoring this page. :(

Yes, it may be posted there. And Verizon may post it on their support page also:

http://support.vzw.com/phones/index.html?p=4366

In the past, I have seen the hardware manufacturers post firmware on their own site slightly before Verizon did, but you never know...

Guest Jaywalkersw

I emailed Verizon's customer support and a few days later they got back to me saying that they were in the process of developing the software (or rather samsung was developing software) to unlock the GPS on the omnia and a few other phones. It was basically the same thing they had said to other people. Still though...waiting :(

Guest amdzero

(First time posting) I've been following this post for a long time. Practically since the day the 910 was released from VZW. I have to say that I do have GPS kinda working on my phone. I've followed the examples and downloaded some files in this thread. It is a real pain to get to work and the tracking skips a bit, but for me I can track myself from my house to my work all the way up the sidewalk using Google Maps. Here is what I did...

1. Turn on GPS all the time not just 911. (Settings->Personal tab->phone->services tab->GPS->change setting->location on

2. I downloaded the files from gpsserver and extracted them into Program Files\gpsserver folder on the device

3. Then I copied all the files from the gpsserver zip (except the gpsserv) to windows folder on the device

4. Then I copied the gpstest program to the windows\start menu\programs folder on the device

5. Then i set the main menu button to task switcher (settings->personal tab->buttons)

6. Then I set the camera button to the gpstest program (settings->personal tab->buttons)

7. Then I downloaded google maps

okay the device was now set up. now all I needed to do was Soft reset the phone and do the following

1. Open google maps

2. start the gps in google maps (menu->use GPS)

3. Quickly depress the camera button (to launch the gpstest program)

4. wait until the coordinants showed up

5. Quickly depress the main menu button (to launch task switcher program)

6. end task on the gpstest icon (its the default program one)

7. go back to google maps.

If I did it correctly I get coordinants in google maps and can use it to navigate around. Its pretty lame the way I had to do this, but this worked for me especially when I made wrong turn and had to find my way back to the Interstate. When copying the files I used Resco File explorer, as the default one wouldn't copy correctly.

The reason I use the task switcher is incase google maps doesn't get the gps info I can rerun gpstest. I'm sure if someone could program a similar app that doesn't "auto hide" when the focus changes off this program we could use gps whenever we wanted instead of having to create a stupid series of events to get it to work. :(

I really wish VZW didn't lock the GPS on my Omnia but for now this is the "work around" I'm using.

I tried to confirm Steve Schwed's alleged email that is being widely circulated about the web concerning unlocking the GPS on Verizon phones. Neither phone nor email representatives will confirm or deny it. I'm going to continue to pursue this, but if I don't get a affirmation of Mr. Schwed's statement by the end of the 30 day trial period on my phone, I'll turn it my Omnia and go with AT&T.

From Verizon:

Good evening Mr. R. Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is Angel, and I am happy to assist you regarding of the GPS feature on the Samsung Omnia. I apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you.

As an advanced device user myself, I certainly understand the importance of being able to use all the features currently available on your handset while you are on the go.

Mr. R, I am unable to provide information regarding features and services being considered or approximate release dates, as this may raise expectations that may not be met for the Samsung Omnia.

You may also receive free e-mail updates as to when new products and services are available. To receive your free e-mail update please click on the following link, to view the "E-mail Updates" page of our website:

http://email.vzwshop.com/servlet/website/R...PEJNlmhtLk_.2ef

Once information is provided to Verizon Wireless regarding the release of software updates available our devices, we will have that available on our website for download for use with the equipment in which it was designed.

There are several wireless phones being tested for functionality and reliability with our network. Verizon Wireless will not offer a product or service unless it meets the high standards our customers have come to expect. Verizon Wireless is constantly improving the services, features, and wireless phones we offer to our customers for their communication needs.

I hope the information that I have provided was most accommodating. We value the longevity your business relationship with us. Thank you for allowing Verizon Wireless to service you with your wireless needs. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Angel

Verizon Wireless

Data Technical Support

I just got a call from Verizon. I asked them to contact Steve Schwed and confirm that he is accurately quoted. They did and he said that indeed, it is an accurate quote. Verizon would not disclose anything else, but it looks like this is the real deal. :(

Guest TundraLtd

A friend of my mother works the corporate accounts at verizon so I asked her about it, she said as far as she can find its an empty promise right now. So I went an bought an unlocked i900, screw verizon! I won't miss that over inflated bill, and with my current service I was not forced to buy a data package

Guest lambi1982
I just got a call from Verizon. I asked them to contact Steve Schwed and confirm that he is accurately quoted. They did and he said that indeed, it is an accurate quote. Verizon would not disclose anything else, but it looks like this is the real deal. :(

You actually think they called him, LOL

Guest somedude

The Stephen Schwed email is legit. if you go back a few pages, you will see that this is the default email that he sent to a lot of modaco members who sent him a email.

heres his address:

Steve Schwed

Verizon Wireless

HQ Executive Relations Supervisor

e-mail [email protected]

Feel free to flood his inbox asking what the hell is going on with this "update". I know i am.

Guest birdpcfireworks

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a few days and I tried this afternoon to at least get GPSTest working. I can't even get an error... I first tried replacing all the files in /windows with M Moogle's hacked ones and running the instructions from the guy who had it working on page 29 or something, but I can't get GPSTest to open. I have been trying to back up the original files out of /windows using Rosco Explorer, but I get "Access Denied" every time. I just did a hard reset so I am back to square one I suppose, but I would love to at least get GPS coordinates for the heck of it. I have read through all 39 pages 2 times and there is so much conflicting information I am already about to give up... If anybody has a minute, could you outline from the beginning how to get GPS Test working, including links to any files I need, as the original links for half the stuff are broken?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by birdpcfireworks

Guest backpackerx
The Stephen Schwed email is legit. if you go back a few pages, you will see that this is the default email that he sent to a lot of modaco members who sent him a email.

heres his address:

Steve Schwed

Verizon Wireless

HQ Executive Relations Supervisor

e-mail [email protected]

Feel free to flood his inbox asking what the hell is going on with this "update". I know i am.

Here's doing my part. The email I just sent.

Mr. Schwed,

I found your email online on various phone related internet forums and wanted to pass on my experience with my new Verizon Samsung Omnia. I was extremely disappointed to find out that the GPS chip has been crippled to only function with the inferior and lowly rated VZ Navigator and cannot be used with various 3rd party apps that could take advantage of this feature. To buy a phone with hardware that the manufacturer clearly intended to be a useful feature only to find out your carrier locks it down to squeeze yet another buck out of you is frankly anti-consumer and a bit pathetic.

The other slap in the face came when I discovered that I couldn't use Microsoft's own Mobile Messenger software (which amusingly came pre-installed on my last Verizon phone) because you have prevented the download and are pushing your users toward you own Mobile IM software on a pay per text basis when users of this phone are already paying for a data plan and this is a simple, low bitrate messaging protocol that should be able to be done via the internet data connection.

Don't get me started on how this phone is advertised as Visual Voicemail capable but after the purchase you find out that it's yet another add on fee unlike on AT&T. This phone is an iPhone competitor clear and simple. Take a page from AT&T and make money by attracting customers with value added services, not by pinching your current customers.

Make no mistake, Verizon is gaining market share for 2 reasons alone. Good marketing and a superior network in most areas. Your growth should not be taken to mean that your customers are happy with feature crippling and nickel and diming them to death.

Verizon seems intent on pursing the failed walled garden policies of the early internet portal providers like AOL and history has shown where that got them. Here's the main point. This isn't a complaint about how you should have made something different or better, it's a complaint that you started with a great product, a full featured phone, and then crippled the OS and hardware.

A simple internet search on some of Verizon's crippled features will show the thousands of results from unhappy customers and should cause you to realize in the age of ubiquitous internet that negative word of mouth spreads like wildfire. I hope that this message finds a sympathetic ear and that it gets passed on to the corporate powers that be to help them understand that frustrating their user community by trying to ring out a few extra bucks isn't worth the damage it does to your corporate customer service image.

Guest tom.law

I just did my part. Short and polite.

Stephen,

Please unlock the GPS capability on the Samsung Omnia for use with great third party apps like Google Maps and Live search. I have no interest in VZ Navigator as I use built in GPS in all of my automobiles.

Sincerely,

Verizon Cell -

I just did my part. Short and polite.

Stephen,

Please unlock the GPS capability on the Samsung Omnia for use with great third party apps like Google Maps and Live search. I have no interest in VZ Navigator as I use built in GPS in all of my automobiles.

Sincerely,

Verizon Cell -

I sent him a note also.

Guest somedude
Here's doing my part. The email I just sent.

Mr. Schwed,

I found your email online on various phone related internet forums and wanted to pass on my experience with my new Verizon Samsung Omnia. I was extremely disappointed to find out that the GPS chip has been crippled to only function with the inferior and lowly rated VZ Navigator and cannot be used with various 3rd party apps that could take advantage of this feature. To buy a phone with hardware that the manufacturer clearly intended to be a useful feature only to find out your carrier locks it down to squeeze yet another buck out of you is frankly anti-consumer and a bit pathetic.

The other slap in the face came when I discovered that I couldn't use Microsoft's own Mobile Messenger software (which amusingly came pre-installed on my last Verizon phone) because you have prevented the download and are pushing your users toward you own Mobile IM software on a pay per text basis when users of this phone are already paying for a data plan and this is a simple, low bitrate messaging protocol that should be able to be done via the internet data connection.

Don't get me started on how this phone is advertised as Visual Voicemail capable but after the purchase you find out that it's yet another add on fee unlike on AT&T. This phone is an iPhone competitor clear and simple. Take a page from AT&T and make money by attracting customers with value added services, not by pinching your current customers.

Make no mistake, Verizon is gaining market share for 2 reasons alone. Good marketing and a superior network in most areas. Your growth should not be taken to mean that your customers are happy with feature crippling and nickel and diming them to death.

Verizon seems intent on pursing the failed walled garden policies of the early internet portal providers like AOL and history has shown where that got them. Here's the main point. This isn't a complaint about how you should have made something different or better, it's a complaint that you started with a great product, a full featured phone, and then crippled the OS and hardware.

A simple internet search on some of Verizon's crippled features will show the thousands of results from unhappy customers and should cause you to realize in the age of ubiquitous internet that negative word of mouth spreads like wildfire. I hope that this message finds a sympathetic ear and that it gets passed on to the corporate powers that be to help them understand that frustrating their user community by trying to ring out a few extra bucks isn't worth the damage it does to your corporate customer service image.

very good! Heres the letter i sent him:

"Words cannot describe dissapointed I am with Verizons practices. It is no wonder Verizon has several lawsuits out against them. I do not understand how the people who run this company go to sleep at night.

All i want to know is when will the GPS feature become unlocked for the Samsung Omnia i910? I read a statement saying the first quarter of 09? Can you please provide me any details? I am very frustrated and I am on the verge of taking this phone back. The possible GPS unlock is the only reason why i still have the phone. I knew i should have just got a I-Phone like everyone else."

Edited by somedude

Guest M Moogle
well, while we are still waiting for that... is anyone still TRYING to get this gps unlocked? i have great gps app that i want to test out :P

I had some ideas worth looking into a few pages back, but unfortunately its beyond my skills, and nobody here seems to be remotely interested in taking a look B) Everyone seems interested in bickering back and forth instead :(

I had some ideas worth looking into a few pages back, but unfortunately its beyond my skills, and nobody here seems to be remotely interested in taking a look B) Everyone seems interested in bickering back and forth instead :(

I'm very new here, but I'm also looking into getting the GPS to work as intended by the manufacture.

I did actually look back on this thread M Moogle, and it was fun to see all the things that you guys tackled this smartphone with.

But, I am now hoping that verizon delivers on their word and enables the gps for third party apps.

I am already nagging two verizon stores that are close enough to me with lawsuits and cancellations threats. I assure you, it has been a lot of fun.

Anyways, keep up the thread active and I'll keep my eyes open. (Hopefully verizon too)

Guest Chugworth
I am already nagging two verizon stores that are close enough to me with lawsuits and cancellations threats. I assure you, it has been a lot of fun.

It's no use to even mention about the locked GPS at your local Verizon stores. Those people just sell the phones. They have no say in how Verizon configures the phones.