UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest Anubis119
So wait a minute... What's the deal with the "My Location" feature in Google Maps? For me, it always tells me "Your current location is temporarily unavailable."

Not all cities are supported by the cellular triangulation yet. I'm assuming it's mostly the major cities -- probably the ones that support the traffic tracking systems. I'm in Idaho and get the same message you're receiving, although I'm heaidng out of town this weekend and am hoping it will work in my destination.

Guest the v

At the beginning I was able to see my location only when I was connected using my wireless modem and the wifi on my omnia (probably reading my ip or something ) because since the beginning my location was not working under V’s signal for triangulation. By the way I’m in California. So is just V blocking some data probably for every body.

Maybe I'm able now because V changed something?

please somebody give it a try without using wifi and press 0 for my location.

Guest klinc
I've never had it work for me. I think the cell towers have to be in google's database, and enough in an area where it can get a clean signal(with at least 3 towers).

From what I read about the My Location service from Google... The towers currently around you have to be in their database. The only way they get in their database is if your phone has GPS and runs google maps all the time. As you move around your area (or any area really) it will see what towers you are using and use your locaton with the GPS and add them to the database.

So basically someone in your area wil have to have a GPS enabled phone and google maps running on it to add the towers to the database. The program is still in its infancy and will get better as time goes on.

Guest theidoctor.org
From what I read about the My Location service from Google... The towers currently around you have to be in their database. The only way they get in their database is if your phone has GPS and runs google maps all the time. As you move around your area (or any area really) it will see what towers you are using and use your locaton with the GPS and add them to the database.

So basically someone in your area wil have to have a GPS enabled phone and google maps running on it to add the towers to the database. The program is still in its infancy and will get better as time goes on.

does that work with cdma?

Edited by theidoctor.org

Guest theidoctor.org
Apparently so, as I imagine that most people who are following this thread have a CDMA phone. :(

yea, i guess so. the only device i know that has an unlocked gps from verizon is the BB Storm. Unless, a ton of people have that and google is triangulating with those... hmm... dont know. just a thought

Edited by theidoctor.org

Guest baaadandy

I'm not trying to be a know it all - I am new here but have a lot of Verizon knowledge that I just wanna share. The reason Google Maps "My Location" doesn't work on the Omnia or other Verizon WM phones it that Verizon doesn't allow radio information to pass through to apps like Google Maps, or Live Search for that matter. For it to work properly, the phone needs to pass radio info (tower information, -dBm rating) to Google Maps, to generalize your location. It will read the information passed from the radio, and also use signal strength, to see how far away you are from the cell site. I've never heard of Google Maps not working in a certain area. GPS doesn't come into play here. The only information being used is cell site information. Also, there is a misconception that Google Maps "triangulates" your position. In reality, it does not. That's aGPS. The My Location feature by itself simply does what I said above. Now if you activate GPS and the phone is aGPS capable (like our Omnia,) the My Location feature will usually locate you via cell site first (like above) while aGPS triangulates you, and in doing that, gives the GPS chip a pretty good idea of where you are. This greatly reduces the time needed to get an actual GPS fix because instead of the GPS chip starting from scratch thinking you could be anywhere in the country, it now knows of a roughly 10-20 square mile area you could be. Now maybe everyone knew this but as I read the thread I saw a lot of info that didn't seem right.

Guest somedude
10 bucks says you guys figure it out, a day later Verizon releases the patch

lol. They have the patch ready now i bet. All they have to do is probably comment out some code. They're just going to wait until the last possible minute to release it.

So i guess the sooner we find a fix, the better! Keep up the hard work guys!

Guest klinc
I'm not trying to be a know it all - I am new here but have a lot of Verizon knowledge that I just wanna share. The reason Google Maps "My Location" doesn't work on the Omnia or other Verizon WM phones it that Verizon doesn't allow radio information to pass through to apps like Google Maps, or Live Search for that matter. For it to work properly, the phone needs to pass radio info (tower information, -dBm rating) to Google Maps, to generalize your location. It will read the information passed from the radio, and also use signal strength, to see how far away you are from the cell site. I've never heard of Google Maps not working in a certain area. GPS doesn't come into play here. The only information being used is cell site information. Also, there is a misconception that Google Maps "triangulates" your position. In reality, it does not. That's aGPS. The My Location feature by itself simply does what I said above. Now if you activate GPS and the phone is aGPS capable (like our Omnia,) the My Location feature will usually locate you via cell site first (like above) while aGPS triangulates you, and in doing that, gives the GPS chip a pretty good idea of where you are. This greatly reduces the time needed to get an actual GPS fix because instead of the GPS chip starting from scratch thinking you could be anywhere in the country, it now knows of a roughly 10-20 square mile area you could be. Now maybe everyone knew this but as I read the thread I saw a lot of info that didn't seem right.

Good info. What I posted above was straight from Google's info about their new My Location service. Nice to see that Verizon has "gimped" yet another piece of their system over what other cell providers allow.

Guest Chugworth
Good info. What I posted above was straight from Google's info about their new My Location service. Nice to see that Verizon has "gimped" yet another piece of their system over what other cell providers allow.

I suspected Verizon was preventing applications from seeing the tower info. I HATE Verizon - I absolutely can't stand them! I would love to switch to a GSM network so I can buy the phone I want when the manufacturer releases it, and get one that's unmolested by a service provider.

The only problem is that Verizon has by far the best coverage in my area, and the only one with 3G. :(

Guest Kyrix9

First time post on MoDaCo! I upgraded from my BB Pearl to an Omnia 910 a few days ago and have been engrossed in reading these forums ever since... I totally appreciate all of the hard work the i900 pros have done for us, seriously amazing work!

In other news, I was talking to somebody I know at Verizon and they said big changes were coming that would address some of my concerns regarding them being the only provider that locks out inherent features of a device...

A tease of info I know, but it makes me think that they are finally going to let go of the choke chain... Of course this come at a cost of all of our personal security and rights of privacy.

See this article: Verizon Wants To Share Your Personal Information

Thanks again,

Kyrix9

Guest jerriel

I have been following this thread for quite some time. I finally give up on the wait, and bought a mini GPS bluetooth receiver on fleabay for under $15! I now have TomTom 7 working perfectly on my Omnia...woohoo!!!! :(

Edited by jerriel

Guest Foster318

Hey first time poster. I've been following this post for a few months now. Found a program that may or may not work, just thought I'd throw it out there in case you all didn't know about it. Here's the link. I'm using a Garmin mobile 20 I picked up on ebay for $40 right now, but I wouldn't mind selling if I find something that doesn't hinder me using my BT headset. If someone tries it let us know, I might even give it a try. If I do I'll keep you all updated.

Guest WoZZeR999
Hey first time poster. I've been following this post for a few months now. Found a program that may or may not work, just thought I'd throw it out there in case you all didn't know about it. Here's the link. I'm using a Garmin mobile 20 I picked up on ebay for $40 right now, but I wouldn't mind selling if I find something that doesn't hinder me using my BT headset. If someone tries it let us know, I might even give it a try. If I do I'll keep you all updated.

Looks like it software for the Omnia to view GPS data, but I couldn't see anything on their website about using the internal GPS. I think it's just another standard GPS program, sorry. It could also be a programming error on the website. The phone is listed as having a GPS, so it lists it with the GPS programs. The "Plug in" is just a standard today plug in.

Guest rapcon

Purchase this app and it does not work as advertised. Has some useful tools, but not worth paying for.

Guest WoZZeR999
Purchase this app and it does not work as advertised. Has some useful tools, but not worth paying for.

It does work as advertised, it's just worded very poorly. All this program states it allows you to do, is view GPS data in general, it does not say that is uses the internal GPS in the omnia.

Works with any serial or Bluetooth GPS Samsung SCH-i910 Omnia that supports the standard NMEA 0183 message format.

I'm assuming all of the "Samsung SCH-i910 Omnia" is a code that is called from a database.

Edit: Yup, I would like to know how this software works Click this link

Edited by WoZZeR999

Guest yojoe600
It does work as advertised, it's just worded very poorly. All this program states it allows you to do, is view GPS data in general, it does not say that is uses the internal GPS in the omnia.

I'm assuming all of the "Samsung SCH-i910 Omnia" is a code that is called from a database.

Edit: Yup, I would like to know how this software works Click this link

^ :(

Guest GSBJackson

The fact that it states "Navio gives you access to all the information from your GPS receiver on your Samsung SCH-i910 Omnia 2002/2003/WM5." Should be a clue... the Omnia never ran the 2002/2003/WM5 OS versions.

Guest racerfern

Last bullet on their web page:

Works with any serial or Bluetooth GPS Samsung SCH-i910 Omnia that supports the standard NMEA 0183 message format.

Guest rosenhauer

The Handster website does that for all of its software listings. Even old WM2003 only software will say it written for the Omnia!

Guest jerriel
Link to TomTom 7 you have working on the Omny 910. I already have the Freedom working TT6 but the maps are 2006 version.

Not for sure if mods will let me post links, but do a google search and the cab file for TT7 and the maps are not hard to find B) . I am using App version 7.450(9028) along with the North_America_720.1803 maps....good luck!