UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

The GPS radio is disabled in the radio rom, you can connect to the GPS hardware via various methods but it'll never get a lock since the radio is disabled. VZNav, when launched, connects to VZW request a handshake key and sends that to the radio where it'll then enable the GPS radio. The only way to fix the "problem" will be to reflash the phone with a modified rom where the GPS radio isn't disabled. Since there hasn't been any updated CDMA roms released there isn't anything that can be modified....hopefully they'll release an update soon and somebody can tinker with it and reenable the GPS. If I remember right you can launch VZNav, get it to turn on the GPS, then crash (not stop) the VZNav application and the GPS radio will remain enabled since it won't send the disconnect signal to the GPS radio. I'm still waiting on my Omnia (should get it today or tomorrow), when I get it'll I see if I can decode what VZNav is sending to the radio and see if it's a phone specific handshake or if it's a universal code....if it's universal then it should be easy to reenable the radio.

i complete agree.

this is what i realized in my research. a manufacturers disablement! B)

but a rom seems extreme, i think it will simply needs a modified radio...

hmmm...i wonder if the radio`s released by DCD or no2chem would work...though are made for the htc devices...

do you know anything about that??

i complete agree.

this is what i realized in my research. a manufacturers disablement! B)

but a rom seems extreme, i think it will simply needs a modified radio...

hmmm...i wonder if the radio`s released by DCD or no2chem would work...though are made for the htc devices...

do you know anything about that??

I doubt they're running the same radio chipsets and even if they are I'm fairly certain that the methods to reflash them would be different.

Just go to Settings

uncheck Widget

I am not sure why Rlogger worked better for me this way but no crashes. Also be sure to shut Rlogger off from its menu - per the XDA instructions.

Thanks, I should pay more attention to my settings.

Edited by dhoppy

Guest JASTECH

Would somebody be willing to try GPS Toggle? I am wondering if it will help.

Install to device (not memory card), as changing this option doesn't change where it installs anywhere. After installation, soft reset, and you will be running the updated toggler! Version 1.9 adds various tweaks, including a display to show lock status and GPS signal strength.

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

GPSToggle.cab

Guest somedude

Install to device (not memory card), as changing this option doesn't change where it installs anywhere. After installation, soft reset, and you will be running the updated toggler! Version 1.9 adds various tweaks, including a display to show lock status and GPS signal strength.

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

I installed to the device, but i cant find the program anywhere. I checked the program files and everything. Couldnt find it.

Where is it located at?

Edited by somedude

Guest mangeman08
I installed to the device, but i cant find the program anywhere. I checked the program files and everything. Couldnt find it.

Where is it located at?

It adds it to your today screen. You might have to check it, if it's not already.

Installed, however referring up the thread about how VZ Nav turns on the radio, I don't think this is going to help. At any rate running now shows gps turned on.

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

Installed, however referring up the thread about how VZ Nav turns on the radio, I don't think this is going to help. At any rate running now shows gps turned on.

I tried the GPStoggle as well. VZNav works with it toggled on or off. Also no workie with GoogleMaps. Thanks for the try.

Guest aurkachra

Ok i just downloaded GPStoggle like Rapcon said it says its on but i dont see google maps pulling any Sat's from the sky.

Guest JASTECH

I am sorry guys:-( It was a thought. I will keep looking and see if I can locate the VZNav change on the i910. Like was mentioned on a earlier post about Verizon locking it out so they could reep the benefits of 10.00 a month. I am sure it will be unlocked soon or they will get a lot of i910's back. I did read that VZW has dropped their prices on the i910, I think just so they can get more people locked into a 2yr contract and extra 240.00 for using there Nav software. Do they charge you minutes when you guys use it? That would suck if they do. Well back to the hacking board for me, I will keep trying.

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

Guest Apo11on
I say if we dont have this issue resolved in 2-3 weeks, we should all send the damn phone back and all leave negative comments. What they are doing is wrong plain and simple.

sending the phone back is like giving up and giving in. better way would be collect donations and hire a lawyer to sue Verizon, as I do beleive it's illegal locking existing features of the device customer paid for in full, in order to unlock those features for profit.

Guest somedude
sending the phone back is like giving up and giving in. better way would be collect donations and hire a lawyer to sue Verizon, as I do beleive it's illegal locking existing features of the device customer paid for in full, in order to unlock those features for profit.

i agree. Its ridiculous. But i dont want to be locked in a contract with verizon and i think they give you thirty days before they lock you in. So im giving it until the end of the month and if these issues arent resolved, im going back to my good old i900!

Edited by somedude

Guest Apo11on
i agree. Its ridiculous. But i dont want to be locked in a contract with verizon and i think they give you thirty days before they lock you in. So im giving it until the end of the month and if these issues arent resolved, im going back to my good old i900!

Actually, if you have a valid reason to disconnect, such as Verizon's illegal actions - you're not obliged to pay that $175 contract termination fine. I mean they would probably bill you for it, but you can chose to tell them to f*ck off and say you disconnected because they illegally crippled your device, and if they want to get that $175 from you they'd have to go to court to get it. I doubt they'd do it because of the bad publicity reasons, and even if they went against the odds and sued - there is a decent chance they'd lose, because I do think we're right and what they're doing is illegal and at very least unethical and unprofessional. They'd probably have you return their Omnia and wave the fine.

Guest pjsockett

I know we all want gps to get unlocked but this is getting a bit dramatic. The device is exactly as advertised. All they advertise is the use of vznavigator. We all know the gps hardware is there but it is not advertised or listed as a feature of the phone hence it doesn't need to enabled. I know it's shady and unethical but I don't know about illegal.

Guest JASTECH

I noticed the Verizon version has the PXA320 CPU while the others seem to have the PXA312. I know the PXA320 can go to 806Mhz in other Samsung phones. Might be something to think about too.

From a thread ion XDA....

I use tomtom 7 repack 3 qvga with North America. when i open up tomtom, i go to status, setting is at other NMEA device, baud rate 4800 at COM3. it take forever to get signal, keep saying poor GPS reception. I actually got signal once.

I tried to put HTC quick GPS on it, but that doesn't work on it. I used enhanced GPS, and even used quick GPS location, still cannot get signal.

So we are back to the VZnav software must change the radio to a GPS enabled one.

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

Edited by JASTECH

Guest somedude

Can everyone viewing this thread please send angry email to this guy?

[email protected]

he is the HQ Executive Relations Supervisor for verizon.

FLOOD FLOOD FLOOD HIS EMAIL BOX BECAUSE WE HAVE TO LET OUR VOICES BE HEARD!

TELL HIM THAT HE CAN SHOVE THAT CRAPPY VZ NAVIGATOR UP HIS A$$ AND WE WILL RETURN OUR I910'S!

WE ARENT GOING OUT WITHOUT A FIGHT, THIS IS COMPLETE BULLSH1T!

I understand that verizon doesnt advertise gps with the omnia, but, they are purposely blocking a feature of the phone, while other carriers(overseas for example) arent. What the hell gives them the right to shove some crappy gps app down our throat while the other service providers allow their customer to use whatever they want?

Edited by somedude

Can everyone viewing this thread please send angry email to this guy?

[email protected]

he is the HQ Executive Relations Supervisor for verizon.

FLOOD FLOOD FLOOD HIS EMAIL BOX BECAUSE WE HAVE TO LET OUR VOICES BE HEARD!

TELL HIM THAT HE CAN SHOVE THAT CRAPPY VZ NAVIGATOR UP HIS A$ AND WE WILL RETURN OUR I910'S FOR THE IPHONE!

yeah, because angry and insulting emails will have the affect of "man, what were we thinking, we should totally unlock the GPS." Rather, the result will be that Stephen forwards your email around to his buddies with the title "check out the intelligence on this guy."

I agree with pjsockett, Verizon didn't advertise it as having GPS. We knew exactly what we were buying when we ordered the Omnia, the features do not say GPS. Whether or not the phone has the potential is not material.

Guest somedude
yeah, because angry and insulting emails will have the affect of "man, what were we thinking, we should totally unlock the GPS." Rather, the result will be that Stephen forwards your email around to his buddies with the title "check out the intelligence on this guy."

You would be suprised as to what can happen...

Check this guy out from:

http://www.rimarkable.com/what-does-verizo...-in-blackberrys

"OMG! I used the email addy that someone posted above (Stephen.Schwed ) and i put my cell # at the bottom to prove i am a Verizon customer:

Well his secretary CALLED me just now! I sent the email an hour ago!

She put the suggestion in…. we’ll see what happens. I was shocked they actually CALLED me!"

We KNOW what the phone is capable of, whether its advertised or not. You know a pc with a DVD drive is capable of playing dvds.

Well how would you like it if Microsoft charged you $10.00 a month so they can 'unlock' their dvd player so you can use it? But you knew that it was b.s because apple lets their users play dvd's on their computers for free.

Its basically the same b.s Verizon is doing.They are screwing us over because we are letting them get away with it.

Edited by somedude

Guest JASTECH

Is this true for the Verizon SCH-i910?

Any Hidden Charges?

There aren't exactly any "hidden" charges, per se, but you will likely be charged data access fees for the initial software download through Verizon's Get It Now service. Moreover, whenever the handset needs to connect to the network to determine your location (e.g., at the start of your trip, when finding a map, when looking for a point of interest, etc.), you will be charged airtime. If you go off route and the VZ Navigator needs to re-draw a route, you will also be charged airtime. Occasionally, the service will want to reconnect to the network to confirm your current location; this also results in charged airtime. In general, however, airtime is not charged while you are en route.

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

You would be suprised as to what can happen...

Check this guy out from:

http://www.rimarkable.com/what-does-verizo...-in-blackberrys

"OMG! I used the email addy that someone posted above (Stephen.Schwed ) and i put my cell # at the bottom to prove i am a Verizon customer:

I don't disagree that letters can be helpful, only that angry letters telling Stephen to experience the vibrate function of the omnia in a way it was not designed is not helpful. The letter that person on rimarkable sent did not contain offensive language, just valid questions.

Guest somedude
I don't disagree that letters can be helpful, only that angry letters telling Stephen to experience the vibrate function of the omnia in a way it was not designed is not helpful. The letter that person on rimarkable sent did not contain offensive language, just valid questions.

well of course im not going to curse the guy out, i was just speaking out of frustration.

Guest somedude
Is this true for the Verizon SCH-i910?

Any Hidden Charges?

There aren't exactly any "hidden" charges, per se, but you will likely be charged data access fees for the initial software download through Verizon's Get It Now service. Moreover, whenever the handset needs to connect to the network to determine your location (e.g., at the start of your trip, when finding a map, when looking for a point of interest, etc.), you will be charged airtime. If you go off route and the VZ Navigator needs to re-draw a route, you will also be charged airtime. Occasionally, the service will want to reconnect to the network to confirm your current location; this also results in charged airtime. In general, however, airtime is not charged while you are en route.

Thanks, JASTECH ô¿ô

Verizon is a bunch of crooks. I cant believe they would charge you just to re-route? OMG what a ripoff!

Edited by somedude