UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest somedude

received my brand new omnia in the mail today, flashed with no issues using vista. That installer is still kind of funky to me though.

No more flashing for me until the official rom comes out.

The gps came in handy today too, as i had to pick some family up from the airport.

I cant get enough of the gps, its easily the coolest feature of the phone imo. It feels so good to finally have it.

Thanks again azintegra!

Edited by somedude

Guest ladnir
i have no idea, thats why i asked above. but didnt get any answer. :excl:

in a different thread it said to delete the redirect file in gps setting can some one please upload it thx

Guest xPosTech
Right. I will say the one person mentioned about being able to turn off the Bluetooth and keep the cell alive, good point. Maybe there is a way then but the basic phone software, when you hit the phone off button, it kills the phone and GPS. That might be addressed in the next ROM then. Interesting idea. If I know I am way out in the desert running around in my Jeep, I doubt I'll have cell coverage so I might want to conserve battery power by turning that off as it receives and transmits to find towers and systems. I think it would be a good idea.

Imagine getting lost and using our phones to find our way home on foot. Might be good to turn off the cell and get longer run time on the GPS. That would be a great safety feature.

i think the gps would use up more battery than the cell radio....

but like i mentioned before.... turning the phone off and still having access to use gps would be nice so you wouldnt have to use a companies cell service!!!!!!

The cell radio will have much higher power consumption than the GPS. The cell radio, in the boonies (no service) will be constantly transmitting at full power, trying to locate a tower. Transmitting is the key. It uses much more power than any receiver.

Wifi and BT also use transmitters, hence high consumption. Gmaps, WLS, etc., will use a lot of power requesting map updates, etc., transmitting via the cell link.

The standalone GPS programs shouldn't use much power. The screen brightness setting will be the limiting factor with the standalone GPS programs.

We definitely need a solution to enable turning off the phone radio while keeping the GPS alive. Maybe just interrupt the "log on to tower" sequence. Stop transmitting and bring the radio to an idle state.

The gps locking within 2 sec. to 90 sec. is normal for any gps. It has to to do a cold start. In fact using the gps app in the today screen from previous post above does not use battery power it just keeps the gps locked in, so when you go to run google maps or igo you can lock imediatley. If agps was alos working it would help to lock a little faster but there would need to be an app or registry setting so that agps can actually communicate with the gps chip

With the BAF GPS toggle keeping the sats in sight there is no need for aGPS. aGPS merely tells the Qualcom chip where to look for the sats. If the chip is already staring at the sats, aGPS becomes redundant.

aGPS will definitely help as a backup for those few times a battery change, soft reset or other interruption of sat lock occurs. I just hope they don't occur too often. We can get by for a little while without aGPS, now that we have GPS.

Ted

Guest theidoctor.org
With the BAF GPS toggle keeping the sats in sight there is no need for aGPS. aGPS merely tells the Qualcom chip where to look for the sats. If the chip is already staring at the sats, aGPS becomes redundant.

interesting.... i'll have to try that out....

Guest aleis

yeah i was thinking, with baf...why would i need to do anything further with my phone.

if it is true that agps is only going to make my battery worst!

i dont want it!

but if it were a better way to use baf i would be happy...

like have it run all the time with little power consumption. maybe auto activate when live search or google maps request it....

come you brains!!! :excl:

Guest Omega Ra
yeah i was thinking, with baf...why would i need to do anything further with my phone.

if it is true that agps is only going to make my battery worst!

i dont want it!

but if it were a better way to use baf i would be happy...

like have it run all the time with little power consumption. maybe auto activate when live search or google maps request it....

come you brains!!! :excl:

No aGPS doesn't make your battery worse...BAF GPS toggle does. I had it on for a few hours yesterday and my battery drained quite fast...

Guest necosino

test: starting now at 80% battery life I am going to turn on BAF GPS lock, keeping screen off and little/no phone/texting and see how low the battery gets at the end of my work day (7 hours)

Guest Omega Ra

yesterday I got so low that the phone turned off the BT/WiFi/phone and wouldn't let me turn it on...I have never gotten that low..including when I first got the phone and played with it all day..

Guest xPosTech
test: starting now at 80% battery life I am going to turn on BAF GPS lock, keeping screen off and little/no phone/texting and see how low the battery gets at the end of my work day (7 hours)

Thanks. That's what we need - hard data.

Another way might be to run a calculation routine to determine precisely where to look for what sats. My old (ca. 2000) handheld Magellan 310 asked for zip code when cold starting. I think zooming to county or city view in Gmaps accomplishes the same faster lock. The calc would just be more convenient.

I just downloaded and installed toggle. The writeup at Freeware Pocketpc states it only toggles on or off and displays lock status. Does that mean another GPS program needs to be running to actually lock the sats in?

I'll also play around with it to see if I can maintain lock without another program running. And do a little research. The routine was written by user Baffles at PPc Geeks. There are a couple of threads there specifically on BAF Toggle.

I may have spoken too soon about battery life and the actual function of the app. I will let y'all know what I find.

Edit: Looks like they have a version that runs in the system tray rather than the Today plugin. Still lookin'.

Ted

Edited by xPosTech

Guest DeepBlueEditor
yesterday I got so low that the phone turned off the BT/WiFi/phone and wouldn't let me turn it on...I have never gotten that low..including when I first got the phone and played with it all day..

And that would indeed all be a problem in the back country trying to find your way to civilization after a small plane crash in the mountains or lost cross country skiing so it is still a real issue for me but, I don;t plan to do much road traveling without being hooked up to the car power especially because of the display. That uses probably the majority of the power in the device with the backlight and driving the display itself.

If we can seperate out the cell itself from the GPS segment of the chip, that should really help battery life. Of course if Samsung wasn't quite so particular about the batteries used... Maybe an external pack of AAAs that snaps onto the back of the phone and ties in with a small cable? Us Amateur radio guys do that sort of building/hacking all the time so you may see somethig like that come out eventually on the market. They have smoe that use 9v batts but they are sort of ugly. Something that matches the design of the phone would be nice, and snaps onto it would be even better.

I figured it was a given that with BAF running aGPS was no longer needed. Keep it warm and talking and why bother with aGPS?

S.

Guest aleis
Why bother with aGPS?

Battery life, for one.

but they came to the conclusion that agps will be worst on the battery.

trying to get a signal in the country etc etc.

your thoughts?

Guest aleis

side note...just got finished talking to my iphone competition at work...

the latest... "windows mobile sucks! it does everything!"

LMAO!!! :excl:

like he really believes that the phone sucks because it can do everything a computer can do! :excl:

the argument..it does too much!

wow...thats what having restrictions turn you into :excl:

Guest Adrynalyne
but they came to the conclusion that agps will be worst on the battery.

trying to get a signal in the country etc etc.

your thoughts?

Maybe worse on battery while in use, but definately not when not in use. VNav uses aGPS, ever seen it drain the battery when its not running? Of course not.

So, in closing, aGPS would suck in a low signal area, but its not required to run the GPS. Simply disable aGPS in low signal areas and use something like BAF instead. Best of both worlds :excl:

Guest theidoctor.org
side note...just got finished talking to my iphone competition at work...

the latest... "windows mobile sucks! it does everything!"

LMAO!!! :excl:

like he really believes that the phone sucks because it can do everything a computer can do! :excl:

the argument..it does too much!

wow...thats what having restrictions turn you into :excl:

lol... yea, and most of the time, its free!

Guest xPosTech

Baffles, who wrote BAF GPS Toggle, says:

According to Microsoft, GPS in most phones draws at least as much power as the screen when it is active. Relative comparison, but gives you a rough idea.

His solution is to toggle GPS on and then open the actual GPS app (Gmaps, etc.). Most of the time by the time the app loads, you will have a lock.

Ted

Guest thericksonebay

I have been running baf toggle for a couple of days now and have seen no change in battery life as i surf the net use wifi router and listen to fm radio the battery has always seem to last me about 10-12 hrs. I have checked the gps toggles power consumption with an app i got off omnia hub that show you your battery consumption for each running program. this is supprisingly very low power usage. other programs as radio and even messaging uses more power than gps toggle

Guest thericksonebay

also i forgot to mention on Please read the site rules no links or requests for warez there is an app that can turn programs on and off at a certain time of the day or i think can even be set by your calendar. thats another thought. i will post a link to it within the next couple of hours if anyone wants to tak a look at it i think it is called ctschedueler or something like that.

Guest necosino
Baffles, who wrote BAF GPS Toggle, says:

According to Microsoft, GPS in most phones draws at least as much power as the screen when it is active. Relative comparison, but gives you a rough idea.

His solution is to toggle GPS on and then open the actual GPS app (Gmaps, etc.). Most of the time by the time the app loads, you will have a lock.

Ted

Thank you. This is what I was trying to get through to all you nay-sayers! :excl:

Guest necosino

At the end of the day: 55%, so a 25% battery drop, which is normal for my day without using BAF GPS Toggle :excl:

Result; minimal battery drain :excl: