UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest ikediggety
I just got off the phone with a rep. Apparently, its been pushed back to next Thursday at 12:30am PST.

may 28th? or the (much cooler) 21st, which most people would regard as "this thursday" but that i am fervently hoping is what you really meant? <_<

Guest tsgeek
What is everyone waiting on. Why wait for VZW. There are better ROMS out there. I loaded one yesterday http://www.modaco.com/content/i910-specific-omnia-rom-discussion/286884/omnia-i910-rom-by-blazingwolf/ ://http://www.modaco.com/content/i910-...y-blazingwolf/ ://http://www.modaco.com/content/i910-...y-blazingwolf/ and it is great. I don't even thinkthat Samsung can come up with anything better. It gives me SO much extra memory to put in extra applications.

My point as well. I guess I'm saying we can probably stop holding our collective breath waiting for VZW on this. I'm getting an Omnia later this week (when my NE2 discount kicks in), so I wanted to see whether I'd be better off waiting for VZW or going ahead and loading an unofficial ROM. Looks like waiting for VZW is no longer an option.

Guest ikediggety
What is everyone waiting on. Why wait for VZW. There are better ROMS out there. I loaded one yesterday http://www.modaco.com/content/i910-specific-omnia-rom-discussion/286884/omnia-i910-rom-by-blazingwolf/ ://http://www.modaco.com/content/i910-...y-blazingwolf/ ://http://www.modaco.com/content/i910-...y-blazingwolf/ and it is great. I don't even thinkthat Samsung can come up with anything better. It gives me SO much extra memory to put in extra applications.

well, because some of us are pussies who've never flashed a phone before. because there's a recession going on and not everybody an afford to replace the unit if they didn't get the insurance.

but mostly because verizon has a newer rom than the cc20, which is beta. at least according to those who seem to be in the know around here. i really kinda don't want to take a (small) chance of bricking my phone if i do it wrong only to have verizon have a newer and better rom in a week or two anyway. and, as much as everybody loves the cooked roms, i'll just sleep better at night knowing i'm not running a beta os on a beta rom. my phone is not a test box.

i mean, assuming tegra and lynne are right about there being a newer version rom, once it is released all the cooked roms everybody's using now will be obsolete. maybe it's just that i'm over thirty now, but i don't see the point. i can live without gps for a week or two.

Guest Adrynalyne

What about a month or two?

<_<

The dates I threw out were completely out of my nether region. Same as the poster before me. It was to poke a little fun at those who refuse to read the thread, and see where there is simply no known release date. I also wanted to see who would bite :)

Edited by Adrynalyne

Guest WoZZeR999

My friends cousin's daughters best friends parents work at the VZW tech center. They said at the beginning of the next lunar cycle with the rising moon would bring new GPS capabilities to the Omnia.

Guest ikediggety
What about a month or two?

<_<

The dates I threw out were completely out of my nether region. Same as the poster before me. It was to poke a little fun at those who refuse to read the thread, and see where there is simply no known release date. I also wanted to see who would bite :)

i hate you so much right now... why isn't there a little smiley for somebody crying because somebody else toyed with his emotions like a tonka truck? i want that smiley... going to go kill myself now... either that or start making my peace with taking a chance on flashing my phone...

i fart in your general direction! B)

Guest krelvinaz

I suspect that when (notice I didn't say if) VZW provides an updated ROM for the Omnia, it will be a fairly straight forward ROM upgrade like they have provided with their other phones. It won't be a big app with lots of choices, but rather a simple straightforward tool that will make doing the upgrade easy. It will come with very straightforward instructions and most users will be able to do it easily with few issues.

Those that can't follow those instructions will most likely be able to either get someone else to do it for them, or take it into a VZW shop.

I guess I'm saying we can probably stop holding our collective breath waiting for VZW on this. I'm getting an Omnia later this week (when my NE2 discount kicks in), so I wanted to see whether I'd be better off waiting for VZW or going ahead and loading an unofficial ROM. Looks like waiting for VZW is no longer an option.

Even when they do release of a new ROM, it may take time before new phones are shipped with it. They only sure way of knowing would be to go into a store have them turn it on. (Blue, Green, Purple or whatever stickers they put on the box to indicate differences seem to not always work).

The Leaked ROM works pretty good and from it there are now a number of Cooked ROM's that add or take away stuff to make more room and provide other functions. However, they are all based upon the basi of the Leaked ROM which does have some issues.

Aside from those, my Omnia is very functional and if I know I need the GPS, I can deal with that in advance. Easily, the best phone I've ever used.

An update will come when the update does... speculation is just that.

Guest somedude

Because the official rom may have a-gps functionality.

the leaked rom is missing a-gps.

Guest somedude
well, because some of us are pussies who've never flashed a phone before. because there's a recession going on and not everybody an afford to replace the unit if they didn't get the insurance.

Verizon replaced my unit after i bricked it, and i didnt have insurance. I just told them the phone wouldnt turn on and they sent me a new one, free of charge.

Guest Tim-H
Verizon replaced my unit after i bricked it, and i didnt have insurance. I just told them the phone wouldnt turn on and they sent me a new one, free of charge.

When i first got my u710 I bricked it messing around with a hex editor. They replaced it for free too but this was only a week or two into me owning it. I wouldnt risk them replacing anything if you've had it longer than a couple weeks. People are right to be scared, and Verizon is completely wrong in withholding a firmware update for their users. They claimed open gps on many of their ads, and even said that they would unlock it in the second quarter of 09. The only security they are worried about is making sure their VZ navigator has a grip on their customers wallet. I would imagine when they finally release the firmware it will have a gimped-unlocked gps unit to make their turd of a navigation software look more polished.

Guest SlangMarket.Com
When i first got my u710 I bricked it messing around with a hex editor. They replaced it for free too but this was only a week or two into me owning it. I wouldnt risk them replacing anything if you've had it longer than a couple weeks. People are right to be scared, and Verizon is completely wrong in withholding a firmware update for their users. They claimed open gps on many of their ads, and even said that they would unlock it in the second quarter of 09. The only security they are worried about is making sure their VZ navigator has a grip on their customers wallet. I would imagine when they finally release the firmware it will have a gimped-unlocked gps unit to make their turd of a navigation software look more polished.

It's never going to surface...

Guest ikediggety

okay, gang. just finished backing up with spb backup. about to flash to cc20. i kinda feel like i wanna puke, i'm so nervous. on the other hand, i'm an old tech guy, as long as i follow the instructions i should be fine, right?

right?

prayers/happy thoughts appreciated... here goes nothing... <_<

EDIT: it works! went outside and google maps got a fix in about five minutes. setting up xtra now. SWEET!

Edited by ikediggety

Guest theidoctor.org
okay, gang. just finished backing up with spb backup. about to flash to cc20. i kinda feel like i wanna puke, i'm so nervous. on the other hand, i'm an old tech guy, as long as i follow the instructions i should be fine, right?

right?

prayers/happy thoughts appreciated... here goes nothing... <_<

EDIT: it works! went outside and google maps got a fix in about five minutes. setting up xtra now. SWEET!

great job!

Guest fclifton

I have read through most of the thread, haven't seen this asked (excuse if I missed it): Is there a 3rd party GPS app that works with the unlocked GPS and has voice prompts?

Guest jtrain
I have read through most of the thread, haven't seen this asked (excuse if I missed it): Is there a 3rd party GPS app that works with the unlocked GPS and has voice prompts?

I can't find a free one, either. I understand iGo has voice prompts, but it's not free unless you "borrow" it off the InterWebs. <_<

I think this question belongs in another thread. If an Admin would like to move it, I'd be glad to post/lurk there. Thanks!

Guest theidoctor.org
I can't find a free one, either. I understand iGo has voice prompts, but it's not free unless you "borrow" it off the InterWebs. <_<

I think this question belongs in another thread. If an Admin would like to move it, I'd be glad to post/lurk there. Thanks!

amaze GPS.... im not sure if it has voice promts or not but i know its the only free turn by turn gps software out

Guest dwallersv

It's never going to surface...

Man... paranoia at its finest.

I just replaced my 910 yesterday via Asurion insurance (which I opted for when I got the phone back in January). Brand new, in the box, identical hardware and firmware (except the touchscreen seems much more sensitive -- hooray!).

Took me an hour to flash to the leaked ROM again, copy my backup of My Storage, and restore my system backup from SBP Backup. No issues at all.

Verizon will officially release this new firmware, with GPS fully unlocked like it is in the leaked version, and won't ask Samsung to do anything sneaky with the hardware. Verizon is not a demon, folks, they're just a business. It simply is not in their interest any more to keep a feature like GPS locked. They are the only one among their competition that does this, and given the growing importance and demand for this feature in cellphones, they are now at a disadvantage because of their current practice.

They know this. That's why it's getting unlocked. If the number crunchers showed that it was a profitable advantage they wouldn't change the practice. It's obvious to me that the marketing droids have looked at current market data, combined with a number of customer defections, and concluded it is more of a money-maker to give up on their controlling grip on this capability.

Part of that has to be the technology disadvantage. That is, the fact that VZNav just can't do as good a job as the standalone apps, developed by companies dedicated to developing this software and making a living at it. As such, the Verizon proprietary solution will always be a poor stepchild to the "real" stuff out there like iGO, TomTom, etc.

Guest Adrynalyne

The question should not be if, but when. Until the gps is fully functioning with VZNav, don't expect a release. Period.

Guest theidoctor.org
The question should not be if, but when. Until the gps is fully functioning with VZNav, don't expect a release. Period.

+1 on that and FYI, the samsung omnia is not the only phone getting the shaft from VZW.... if you read other forums, i.e., crackberry.com, you will see that VZW is dissappointing people all around....

ever since i have gotten my BB Storm, i have been waiting for another "official" update from them with no luck...

They may have had a couple updates when they first came out, but there have also been at minimum 5, leaked OS's for the storm since then with no hope of an official release coming soon!

I really dont understand what it is with Verizon, but i wish they could just say, Update coming "insert date here"! Apple does it, and nobody complains about waiting....

Guest money_mind

hey guys i think ive figured it out i have the i910 for bell and my gps was also locked or atleast my phone would not find it untill i set all my applicatiosn that use gps to use com8:4800 baudrate an example of this is google map go to google map go to option/gps settings and check set manually then choose com8 at 4800 and ur gps should work and for tom tom v7 go to gps setting once again this time choose other nmea gps receiver4800 baud ratethen com 8 once again and there u go u should have it working in no time at all

Guest naadimre

my gps was working GREAT with theidoctor.net rom which i flashed about 3 or 4 wks ago, and then all of a sudden today it's not working anymore!! i just used it yesterday and it was working fine. any ideas??? i'm so saaaaaad!!! <_<

Guest necosino
my gps was working GREAT with theidoctor.net rom which i flashed about 3 or 4 wks ago, and then all of a sudden today it's not working anymore!! i just used it yesterday and it was working fine. any ideas??? i'm so saaaaaad!!! :)

Do a up to five soft resets, testing in between. Give at least 5 minutes outside with an open view of the sky to get a lock. Chances are it will work after the first reset <_<

Guest naadimre
Do a up to five soft resets, testing in between. Give at least 5 minutes outside with an open view of the sky to get a lock. Chances are it will work after the first reset <_<

i cannot believe it, but it actually worked after the 5th reset!!! thank you!!!! :)

Guest iconoclast
My friends cousin's daughters best friends parents work at the VZW tech center. They said at the beginning of the next lunar cycle with the rising moon would bring new GPS capabilities to the Omnia.

What you say has a lot of truth to it. I had filed a complaint with the FCC against Verizon for locking the GPS. Well I got a call from Verizon last week basically giving me the BS of why the GPS had be locked but I could try VZ navigator free for 1 month blah, blah blah.... Bottom line here is that the rep was very clear that Verizon will not be unlocking the GPS. With dates of 26th and 28th being thrown around here I dont know what to make of all this other than it will happen the next time Jupiter completes it solar cycle!