UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest ChrisColumbus
i've been zoomed in to my approx location before and it took a really long time to find any sats... maybe because i'm inside? I doubt it, but in playing with my phone the other day I was zoomed in to just my apartment and a few others around me and tried to get a lock, took awhile... I've also tried it zoomed back a bit further too, but no dice.

I can only get a lock if im close to all the windows in my living room.. and I mean up to the windows holding my phone.. if im anywhere else in my house I cannot get any lock at all.. try it outside..  clear view of the sky is needed

Guest ardvarkofdoom

Hmmm... after I flashed my phone and was trying the GPS for the first time, I actually got a lock relatively quickly from inside my apartment... Might have to test this outside just to make sure...

A note on this though, trying to get the lock from the Com 8 setting, it goes to the seeking sats (insert 9 digit number here)... but trying it from "managed by windows" I get the seeking sats (0)

Guest ChrisColumbus
Hmmm... after I flashed my phone and was trying the GPS for the first time, I actually got a lock relatively quickly from inside my apartment... Might have to test this outside just to make sure...

A note on this though, trying to get the lock from the Com 8 setting, it goes to the seeking sats (insert 9 digit number here)... but trying it from "managed by windows" I get the seeking sats (0)

Thats weird.. If I use com 8 I get "initializing GPS" then when I get a lock it says "GPS Aquired" and the number of satellites.. 

When i use managed by windows I get "seeking Satellites (0)" then it locks with the number of satellites its locked too

Edited by ChrisColumbus

Guest ardvarkofdoom

Ok here's my question... does preforming a soft reset erase the "GPS memory"? I ask because when I went outside... I started with the Com 8 setting with the map zoomed in after a soft reset... got a lock within 10-20 seconds (5-6 sats)... I then soft reset again and got the same result trying the managed by windows settings. So this is giving a faster lock, I'm not trying this with the map zoomed several states over

EDIT: Ok so I still get the 10-20 second GPS lock on 6 sats for both managed by windows and com 8, even when I start zoomed in on the other side of the country

Edited by ardvarkofdoom

Guest ChrisColumbus
Ok here's my question... does preforming a soft reset erase the "GPS memory"? I ask because when I went outside... I started with the Com 8 setting with the map zoomed in after a soft reset... got a lock within 10-20 seconds (5-6 sats)... I then soft reset again and got the same result trying the managed by windows settings. So this is giving a faster lock, I'm not trying this with the map zoomed several states over

From what I understand... since we are not using AGPS (assisted) everytime you turn your GPS receiver on.. "locate me using GPS" or "use GPS to find me" you are doing a cold start with your GPS.. your GPS location is NOT saved evertime you turn it off hince the "cold start"..  I beleive this is giving you a "something similar to AGPS" so we can get a faster lock

So the people that say they are getting a lock within a few seconds are probably closing google maps before the GPS signal is killed (aka going inside) so when they open google maps back up.. they are still in same area that they were in when they closed the program hince giving them a fast GPS lock.. giving them a "something like AGPS" and a fast lock.. 

if I am tracking myself and go inside and lose satellite signals Google maps puts my location on the equator right below the south western side of africa.  If I close Google maps prior to losing GPS signal when I reopen it Im in the same location I was when I closed it.. being in the same area "something like AGPS" I get a lock within 2-3 seconds.. however If I try to get a lock when im located outside of Africa it takes like 5-10 mins to locate me..

This is why Im hoping a few people will try this and we can get some feedback.. especially the ones that are having trouble getting a GPS lock or taking 5-10 mins to get locked..

Edited by ChrisColumbus

Guest ardvarkofdoom
This is why Im hoping a few people will try this and we can get some feedback.. especially the ones that are having trouble getting a GPS lock or taking 5-10 mins to get locked..

See, I don't really understand whats going on... I can see why I had trouble getting a lock in buildings... but I went out of town Thursday for work... and I was having trouble getting a GPS lock even when the map was somewhat close to my location in my car.... And this wasn't just from when I was driving, I was parked at a gas station for a few minutes and was still having trouble getting a quick lock

Guest ChrisColumbus
See, I don't really understand whats going on... I can see why I had trouble getting a lock in buildings... but I went out of town Thursday for work... and I was having trouble getting a GPS lock even when the map was somewhat close to my location in my car.... And this wasn't just from when I was driving, I was parked at a gas station for a few minutes and was still having trouble getting a quick lock

LOL i know.. I even tried this driving down the freeway.. I had a cig in one hand, my omnia in the other hand, driving with my legs.. LOL but I zoomed in to I-670 around my approx location in columbus ohio and had a lock within 3 seconds.. thank god there wasnt many people on the highway.. LOL I did it again after a soft reset cause I couldnt believe it..how far in are you zooming?? i zoom in so that I can see the address (or block numbers) whatever you want to call it

Guest dmk679

Definitions:

Hot start: restarted in the same location and GPS clock still correct.

Warm start: restarted in same location but GPS clock out of date, or restarted in different location but GPS clock still correct.

Cold start: restarted in a different location and GPS clock out of date.

Everytime the gps is started you are not performing a cold lock. Location information is cached and the gps tries to use this information initially to perform a lock. When people are posting that they lock in a few seconds, it is more than likely a hot start. Hopefully I am wrong and you are on to something.

It takes a few hours for the gps clock to be "out of date". If you can warm or cold lock in a few seconds after waiting a few hours, then this is good news.

We started a thread specifically to look at obtaining agps functionality on the i910 - http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-h...rt/#entry995159 and welcome any suggestions you may have related to the topic.

I zoom in all the time with google maps and live search and it appears to me to have no effect on my lock time.

Guest ardvarkofdoom

I usually zoom so I can see the road grid... so it sounds about as close as you. I didn't go across the ocean though... just to California from Alabama

post-523196-1239503015_thumb.jpg

Guest ChrisColumbus
Definitions:

Warm start: restarted in same location but GPS clock out of date, or restarted in different location but GPS clock still correct.

Everytime the gps is started you are not performing a cold lock. Location information is cached and the gps tries to use this information initially to perform a lock. When people are posting that they lock in a few seconds, it is more than likely a hot start. Hopefully I am wrong and you are on to something.

It takes a few hours for the gps clock to be "out of date". If you can warm or cold lock in a few seconds after waiting a few hours, then this is good news.

We started a thread specifically to look at obtaining agps functionality on the i910 - http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-h...rt/#entry995159 and welcome any suggestions you may have related to the topic.

I zoom in all the time with google maps and live search and it appears to me to have no effect on my lock time.

I understand what you are saying.... Its just weird that I was having to let google maps time out twice and hit retry 2 times in a row like 5 mins each time after the message "Gps is having trouble tracking GPS satellites please make sure you have a clear view of the sky" even when I was outside, to get a GPS lock.. not I get it within seconds of zooming to my approx location.. 

Guest ChrisColumbus
Definitions:

how did you get a screen shot and ill show you how close I am.. im actually zoomed in even more than that.. the only other thing I did was I joined lattitude within google maps.. It does save my location.. Im now wondering if that has anything to do with this??

I zoom in to where you can read numbers.. there are number on the streets showing approx addresses...

If anyone wants to join me on lattitude im  [email protected]

Edited by ChrisColumbus

Guest ardvarkofdoom

This is a program called "My Mobiler"... when your Omnia is connected, you can see it and control it using your computer... I had that running and took a screen shot. I think there are screen shot programs for the omnia as well, but not sure

Guest theidoctor.org
This is a program called "My Mobiler"... when your Omnia is connected, you can see it and control it using your computer... I had that running and took a screen shot. I think there are screen shot programs for the omnia as well, but not sure

good program! i use it too

Guest ChrisColumbus
i will have to add one too!

I love lattitude.. my roommates and I use it.. I remember the commercial when they are driving around in cars trying to find each other playing tag... LOLOL kinda like that.. LOL

maybe lattitude is keeping my gps settings allowing me to get a quick lock.. thats a question...

Edited by ChrisColumbus

Guest Lakers805

Hello. im new to this fourm but i have been following this topic since the begining and i finally decided to try flashing my phone today. When i seen that you guys had figured it out i was kinda scared to try it because i heard it could mess up your phone. I backed it up with spb back up, hard reset, Followed all the instruction to the letter, and it worked. Restored all my stuff using the back up file. And after i did it i installed google maps and msn live search and I can now get a gps lock. When using google maps I get around 5 sats. I just wanted to thank everyone who worked long and hard on this. Thanks again

Just an FYI, if any of you use your Omnia as a PDA with the phone function turned off, the GPS will not get a satellite lock. Generally I simply use my Omnia for email and web surfing at hotspots (work, home etc.) but was very interested in having the GPS capabilities for obvious reasons.

I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get a sat lock, and when I tried to change the COM and baud rate settings I would get an immediate error message from google maps that it could not find the GPS reciever. I accidentally turned on the phone function (this doesn't hurt anything, I have not registered it as a phone with Verizon) and BAM! all is well in the world. Inside my flat complete with lead paint on the walls i'm getting four sats in less than 30 seconds, in the street I'm getting 6 with 10m accuracy.

Guest DeepBlueEditor
When i seen that you guys had figured it out...

We didn't ecxactly figure it out, we "found" a ROM from the company in beta that is allowing us to use GPS - but, semantics aside...

All the talk about whether GPS remembers where we are and all that, what's the point of setting location to ON if it isn't keeping track but just not reporting the location and numbers to a GPS application? I would think this would be in constant receive mode when on and just not talking to any other apps. I think possibly, if you have a decently clear shot at a bird or two and don't have the phones GPS software running, it would lock rather quickly as the GPS hardware is still active and looking for birds. Flip on the app and they talk to each other. Just an idea. and frankly, even in 911 mode it should still be looking at sats otherwise what good would that function be. I think the diff in 911 and "on" is that when sending data to VZW over the air, it either doesn't send the data (in 911 mode) or does (on mode) open over the air signal, hence the warning about your locaton as well as software that might be quietly keeping track of you without your knowing it.

Anyway, no matter what I do, it does take a perfectly clear view of the sky to get a lock for me and it's random in how long it takes. Once in a while it's a minute and some times it's 5 or more.

The question about Google Lattitud holding and reporting back your last known location may have some truth to it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if maybe when turned on and you join Lattitudes, maybe it keeps the GPS running all the time reporting your position even when not actively using Google maps? Anyone have a way of snooping the signals and seeing what is active, like watching the processes in XP? Might be surprised, might not. Worth a check.

Last thought - edit -

Perhaps with wireless on it is simply getting the info from aGPS faster or it may be initially using IP based location initially for faster lock? Haven't checked that but I'll test that in a minute.

S

Edited by DeepBlueEditor

Guest anthrax79

No SATs at all for me. The ROM upgrade went fine. I get data and can make and receive calls. I have set my GPS to "Location On" and have removed the Redirect in from HKLM->ControlPanel->GPS setting. I did not adjust any of these setting, but I am wondering if I should. Google maps does not complain about not finding the GPS receiver any more. I have sat outside in the back yard and done several "retry" Gmaps just keeps telling me there are not SATs!!

Guest Adrynalyne
Perhaps with wireless on it is simply getting the info from aGPS faster

Its been said at least a dozen times, and people aren't getting it.

aGPS is not functioning.

Not.At.All.

I get sat lock when I have data turned off. Thats an indicator that aGPS is not being used.

Guest DeepBlueEditor

OK, this is interesting. I turned on WiFi and in my basement I just got 4-6 sats. Not a true test but it was about 1 minute to lock. Interesting.

Something else mentioned was the settings of manual or let windows mnanage it. It woud likely be that if you had manually put in 8/57600 that even in auto mode, it is starting in 8/57600 as that was the last known good hardware config that worked. makes sense it would start there.

I am not however sure what the deal is with getting a long string of numbers once in a while as compared to getting the GPS Active (x) on the screen. Another totally uneducated guess is that the string of numbers is what the software sees when it frst querries the GPS hardware and it is possibly a chunk of the data flow coming form the hardwar and until an updated data string flows from the hardware from the beginning that may just be random bits of the GOS hardware data flow. Again, totally a guess with out the stuff to peek under the hood.

S

Guest DeepBlueEditor
No SATs at all for me. The ROM upgrade went fine. I get data and can make and receive calls. I have set my GPS to "Location On" and have removed the Redirect in from HKLM->ControlPanel->GPS setting. I did not adjust any of these setting, but I am wondering if I should. Google maps does not complain about not finding the GPS receiver any more. I have sat outside in the back yard and done several "retry" Gmaps just keeps telling me there are not SATs!!

And, I just let the phone time out and go into lock mode. Coming back, the Google software kicked in and it took less than 10 seconds to lock with (4) showing. I'll try it turning WiFi off in a bit. Still playing.

Ok on the aGPS. Just a guess. I think it was rather silly of them to build the phone so that turning off the phone wireless actually seems to turn off the entire chip but then again, I suppose that kills all radiation from the device for Airplane mode. Besides, they likely don't want you getting a good GPS fix inside an aircraft and that to me is actually a good thing. Imagine loading baggage on a plane with a cell set to report back a true location in the sky... The federal boys would be all over that. Then again, maybe they already have that. you never know what these things are totally capable of I suppose.

S

Edited by DeepBlueEditor

Guest ChrisColumbus

I never stated that AGPS is working.... let me get this straight.. since I flashed my phone it was taking 10-15 mins to get a lock on a satellite standing on top of a 7 story building.. it still took 2 retrys via google maps

last night I joined lattitude in google maps playing around with my roommates.. today everywhere I went I locked satellites within 2-3 seconds.... I was at work for 8 hours.. that should be pleanty of time to lose the GPS log file.. I went outside the airport and zoomed in on the airport.. and 2-3 seconds I had lock.. this was 8 hours after the first lock.. 

so something changed for me.. I know that overnight Navistar did not redue their GPS satellites for verizon users and I know that the ROM we flashed did not change by itself...

All I know is when I zoom into the area that I am in... bam I get a lock in 2-3 seconds.. when you exit google maps and have latitude running it DOES ask you if you want to save your location to share with your friends.. you click yes or no..

Something made my lock a lot faster.. 2-3 seconds is a lot quicker than 10-15 mins..  so I am very happy right now.. and Im just trying to help out people that did have the same problem that I had....had.. lol

Edited by ChrisColumbus

Guest ChrisColumbus
I wasnt replying to you, it was directed at DeepBlueEditor :excl:

Lol.. i was just making a statement... dont take personally.. I just didnt want anyone to think I clamined that aGPS is working in anyway.. something is working..LOL  finally.. 

Im seriously staring to think that latitude is doing this for me.. its saving that Log file of course and using it when reinitialized to use a warm start or a hot start

Edited by ChrisColumbus