UNLOCKING CDMA I910 GPS - please help us!

Guest aleis

Guest DeepBlueEditor
lol... yea, I mean, they are supposedly releasing it in less than a month.

maybe they "leaked" it on purpose to see what kinds of responses they get from us about the new firmware...

On that note... IT WORKS VERIZON!!!! YOU ARE FREE TO RELEASE IT TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC NOW! :excl:

I'm curious to see what the version number is of the official ROM. Also - Verizon, make it lock faster, aGPS would be nice. Actually, you know, all we asked for was free access to the GPS hardware. We have that. Maybe they'll keep aGPS for themselves and the paid service since it is using data on their system, I feel they might be justified to charge for aGPS then. The GPS was built in but artificially locked up. Different story and yep, been there since the beginning of the idea that we got away with something, we got away with installing a beta early is all that happened.

S

Edited by DeepBlueEditor

Guest DeepBlueEditor

Different but related - has anyone found a really good car mount? I would love to find one with a built in power AND audio line so I can plug into power for GPS and the sound system for MP3 playing at the same time without a mount and several adapters and cords, etc.

If any manufacturers are listening, a mount that rotates from H to V and has one cable to do both would be great. Suction cup mount, maybe a little visor that goes over the top of the screen option...?

That woudl be a killer mount in my book.

S

Guest krelvinaz
lol... yea, I mean, they are supposedly releasing it in less than a month.

maybe they "leaked" it on purpose to see what kinds of responses they get from us about the new firmware...

On that note... IT WORKS VERIZON!!!! YOU ARE FREE TO RELEASE IT TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC NOW! :excl:

You are fooling yourself if you really think that. It is NOT ready for prime time.

GPS Assist is not clearly not working properly.

I'm guessing they have to rebuilt VZNav for those that want to use it as it is not designed to work with the unlocked GPS. it would need to be available at the time the upgrade is available.

There is most likely a lot of other tweaks that are being worked on as well including a no nonsense uploader. I highly doubt that they will use the same tool we used to upgrade. As I recall the last time I upgraded the firmware on my i760, it was a very basic software app with no choices in it giving the user little to do wrong.

While the current leaked version works pretty good, if they sold the Omnia i910 right now with this Rom there would be a lot of very upset consumers. The GPS certainly doesn't work as well as my wife's BlackJack II.

So I would imagine that they are still working on the release and the time stated is how long it will take them. They certainly don't need to have a bunch of extra support calls just for an upgrade.

Till then, its something fun to play with, actually works pretty good at times and the rest of the unit seems stable enough.

But to say that ROM is ready for prime time, is somewhat of a joke.

Guest h8isgr8

I think aGPS will be working in the final release (at least for VZNav). It's obvious they completely removed it from this ROM; which inadvertently crippled VZNav. Since VZNav needs aGPS to work properly it's easy to deduce they will put it back in. Whether 3rd party apps will have access to it is another story.

Guest somedude
You know, I find it mildly amusing all the people who feel they are sticking it to Verizon, when the reality of it is, if it wasn't for Verizon, they wouldn't have this rom, nor would they have unlocked GPS.

So, leaked beta or not, let me change the tone of this thread and say, Thanks Verizon!

No thank samsung. They are the ones who are responsible for this fix. Verizon were the as*holes who tampered with the gps in order to make a profit.

F*CK VERIZON!

Guest Adrynalyne

*Chuckle*

Look at the bigger picture instead of such a miniscule portion.

Who do you think paid Samsung to unlock the GPS? Samsung isn't releasing anything for this phone without running it through Verizon first.

Guest necosino
Different but related - has anyone found a really good car mount? I would love to find one with a built in power AND audio line so I can plug into power for GPS and the sound system for MP3 playing at the same time without a mount and several adapters and cords, etc.

If any manufacturers are listening, a mount that rotates from H to V and has one cable to do both would be great. Suction cup mount, maybe a little visor that goes over the top of the screen option...?

That woudl be a killer mount in my book.

S

As I posted before, the iPhone 3G window mount works PERFECTLY for my Omnia, in a hard case. I got it at TJ Maxx for $10, too :excl:

Guest necosino
*Chuckle*

Who do you think paid Samsung to unlock the GPS? Samsung isn't releasing anything for this phone without running it through Verizon first.

Who do you think paid Samsung to LOCK the GPS in the first place? They made the phone and the software to Verizon's specifications. Don't act like VZW is being the good guy here, they are simply backing to outrage and potential legal action against them, not out of the goodness of their hearts..

Guest thericksonebay

Hi guys. This is my second post and this is a little off subject but i updated and everything even gps works great but the tv-out dosent seem to work anymore anyone else having this problem?

Guest Chugworth
Hi guys. This is my second post and this is a little off subject but i updated and everything even gps works great but the tv-out dosent seem to work anymore anyone else having this problem?

I just tested my TV-Out and it is working.

Guest somedude
*Chuckle*

They had no damn business locking the gps in the first place!

And the only reason they are unlocking it is because they are facing legal action, they still dont give a sh*t about their customers.

There is no way Verizon is the good guys here. Samsung is.

They're the ones who created this great phone, and Verizon took it upon themselves to put their craptastic software on the device and ruined it.

Edited by somedude

Guest Adrynalyne
They had no damn business locking the gps in the first place!

And the only reason they are unlocking it is because they are facing legal action, they still dont give a sh*t about their customers.

There is no way Verizon is the good guys here. Samsung is.

They're the ones who created this great phone, and Verizon took it upon themselves to put their craptastic software on the device and ruined it.

LOL...I never said Verizon was the good guy. I said they are the only damn reason why we have an unlocked GPS right now. You cannot deny that truth.

Guest pazatat2

Everyone is saying fck verizon and blah blah blah. WOW! If so many of you hate verizon for this issue, have your phone flashed to another carrier. Hell w/o verizon, we wouldn't have the omnia (that your complaining about) in our hands. (unless you got the i900)So thank you verizon for my pretty omnia, that you let me get for $100.

But they do frustrate me sometime! But not enough to complain alot about them, and keep using there service! lol

yeah the people that haven't used the beta rom, has locked gps. BUT, someone offered a fix for that, the beta rom.

Guest SlangMarket.Com
Slang, have you ever gotten a garmin, or TomTom stand-alone GPS? The very first time you turn it on, or if you take it across the country and turn it on, it takes a good 5 minutes for them to get a lock, too. I used to be a TomTom Tech support personnell, so I know this all too well.

The Omnia's GPS is unlocked, period. It may take a while to get a lock, but only because either we haven't figured out how to use the GPS chip to its full potential yet, and quite frankly we probably won't! I am very interested to see what the May 11th update brings, since in the Samsung newscast to personnell, the new ROM will bring "Improved GPS functionality" to the i910. Quite frankly, I am happy. I turn on iGO8, plug in my CLA, put it in my mount (the iPhone 3G windshield mount works great for the omnia, btw. Got it at TJ Maxx for $10!!) and by the time I'm out of my driveway I have a lock (85% of the time, the other 15% I have a lock within 2 minutes).

So once again, I'm sorry some of you have had issues, but the GPS is functioning and that was the goal of this thread, end of discussion.

You assume I am having trouble, I'm fine, I just feel as though other threads will become flooded in the days to come with information that could be placed here. Call it an assumption of mine... (End of discussion) I could care less actually, demand the thread closed all you like. I have moved on to other things...

OEM Sirf Star III GPS chipset. Remember the EPROM Burner of old.

Guest somedude
LOL...I never said Verizon was the good guy. I said they are the only damn reason why we have an unlocked GPS right now. You cannot deny that truth.

I guess youre right, but they really didnt want to do it. I got the omnia because i liked the omnia, not because i liked verizon.

Im sorry but i just get so worked up when i talk about verizon! I dont mean to go off on you guys, Lol I really hate this company.

They showed how greedy and conniving they are, they only decided to release this fix because they are getting the pants sued off them, not because they decided to do the right thing.

Sometimes i think i would prefer just using a i900 with 2G and a at&t simm card.

Edited by somedude

Guest szinski
Here is a GPS toggle that works from your today screen.. It will not work from a Samsung Widget today screen but it actually toggles your GPS on or off even without WLS or Google running.. so you can really have all the time GPS on ( a little battery drain though) [...]

I think you're on to something here! :excl:

I've been plagued by the slow GPS initalization. A typical scenario for me is grabbing my phone in the morning, jumping in the car, starting Garmin Mobile XT, and driving all the way to work with -zero- satellites found. :excl:

Yesterday, I got in the car and, fired up Garmin Mobile XT, plugged in the address of a bowling alley that I needed directions to, and ended up driving half way to the lanes before I got a satellite lock and turn-by-turn directions. Very, very frustrating! :excl:

After reading the above message I tried something new. Instead of shutting down Garmin Mobile XT, I left it running in the background. I went about using my phone as usual, battery drain seemed to be about normal but I'm not 100% sure. Woke up this morning, sent a few text messages, got in the car, fired up Garmin Mobile XT, and already had a solid lock on six satellites! :excl:

Maybe the trick is to just leave the GPS on an running in the background? I'm going to try this for a few days and monitor battery usage, etc.

Steve

Guest necosino

Steve, that is a good idea, and idt it would drain the battery too much if you aren't moving a lot. This is, in essence, just keeping a warm lock on the satelites, and keeping the GPS Timer in sync with the sat's. We could probably design a stand-alone program that can do this without the system requirements of a full-blown GPS nav program like Garmin or iGO8, TT7, etc.

Guest theidoctor.org
Steve, that is a good idea, and idt it would drain the battery too much if you aren't moving a lot. This is, in essence, just keeping a warm lock on the satelites, and keeping the GPS Timer in sync with the sat's. We could probably design a stand-alone program that can do this without the system requirements of a full-blown GPS nav program like Garmin or iGO8, TT7, etc.

that would be awesome if you guys did that! i wouldnt mind beta testing them either or at least helping recruit others to test them

Guest ardvarkofdoom

There's a program in one of these threads that toggles GPS on an off on your today screen I believe.... I don't remember exactly where or what it is called, but that should be able to keep your gps active as long as you want with the ease of being able to turn it off to save power. Although I wonder... when your phone turns off to conserve power, would that cause your gps to lose it's lock?

Guest necosino

So wouldn't this BAF GPS Toggle keep the GPS chip active, and in a warm-lock state allowing for near-instant GPS lock in other programs?

Problem solved: BAF GPS Toggle

Keep it on, running all the time, and it keeps your GPS locked (or at least seeking) sat's. PLUS you can run this with other GPS apps simultaneously (like iGO8). Just pop it onto your home screen, tap it to turn on your GPS, wait for it to get a lock, and then open your GPS app and you'll have an instant lock :excl:

I've been running it for about 40 minutes now with no battery drain :excl:

Edited by necosino

Guest DeepBlueEditor
So wouldn't this BAF GPS Toggle keep the GPS chip active, and in a warm-lock state allowing for near-instant GPS lock in other programs?

Problem solved: BAF GPS Toggle

Keep it on, running all the time, and it keeps your GPS locked (or at least seeking) sat's. PLUS you can run this with other GPS apps simultaneously (like iGO8). Just pop it onto your home screen, tap it to turn on your GPS, wait for it to get a lock, and then open your GPS app and you'll have an instant lock :excl:

I've been running it for about 40 minutes now with no battery drain :excl:

Lil help - Downloaded BAF to test it out here. Installs but I can't find the app anyplace. I do see it checked in the today screen list of items to run but I actually like the widget panel and it won't run there. How do I lik it to an icon or application entry so I can run it another way?

S.

Guest necosino
Lil help - Downloaded BAF to test it out here. Installs but I can't find the app anyplace. I do see it checked in the today screen list of items to run but I actually like the widget panel and it won't run there. How do I lik it to an icon or application entry so I can run it another way?

S.

Oh yeah, I didn't even think about that, it wont show up under the samsung widgets today screen, you'd have to change to a different today screen, turn it on, and switch back.. but it should still be running in the background at least? It's designed as a today plug-in, and that is why it doesn't interfere with other apps using the GPS. As for porting it to a widget or anything along those lines is way above my skills unfortunately.

Guest DeepBlueEditor
Oh yeah, I didn't even think about that, it wont show up under the samsung widgets today screen, you'd have to change to a different today screen, turn it on, and switch back.. but it should still be running in the background at least? It's designed as a today plug-in, and that is why it doesn't interfere with other apps using the GPS. As for porting it to a widget or anything along those lines is way above my skills unfortunately.

I can't even find an executable file for the app. If I could find that we just have to make a link right? I'll dig into the cab file and find all that I suppose. I'll also write the makers to see if he can make a second version for those of us that just want to run it as an app.

S.