[FIXED 12-5-08!!]Tethering on the I910 Verizon Omnia?

Guest somedude

Guest djdavid60
Incorrect. You can not buy service from Verizon for an Omnia without a dataplan.

NO, not incorrect, you misunderstood. He asked if it bypasses the "extra" 15.99 Verizon charges for VZAccess. It bypasses that charge. Yes, you have to have an unlimited dataplan, but why you would want a kickbutt phone like this without a data plan is beyond me.

Guest stormchaser08

3 Things..

1-About Verizon 4g... Anyone know when that will be available. And if the omnia i910 will support it??

2-I can use wmwifi via USB, but it will not work via wifi.. It is connected, but it is like there is no data???? The network connects, just shows 1 or 2 packets recieved.. Could this be due to the WEP key enabled?

3-If I were to tether through VZ Acess (def dont plan on it) would I be able to do voice/data together??

Thanks!

Guest SuzukiDan
install microsoft active sync either from the cd that came with your phone, or go to microsoft and d/l directly. active sync supplies the drivers so your pc will recognize that "unknown device"

That did it, thanks!! But as a note, I really think this step should be included in the directions on page1 as it would have saved me a few hours of confusion!

Happily browsing away with all three connection methods.. i think i like usb the best as it powers the phone while I use it.

Guest Chainfire
3 Things..

1-About Verizon 4g... Anyone know when that will be available. And if the omnia i910 will support it??

2-I can use wmwifi via USB, but it will not work via wifi.. It is connected, but it is like there is no data???? The network connects, just shows 1 or 2 packets recieved.. Could this be due to the WEP key enabled?

3-If I were to tether through VZ Acess (def dont plan on it) would I be able to do voice/data together??

Thanks!

1- No

2- It's a driver issue and closely related to WEP. Turning WEP off often helps. There are updated drivers and software available (for WEP too) however we cannot officially give them out yet. (Perhaps you can find me on the chat)

3- This is related to the type of network connection you have and your celltowers... see http://support.wmwifirouter.com/knowledge/KB0802013/

Guest stormchaser08
1- No

2- It's a driver issue and closely related to WEP. Turning WEP off often helps. There are updated drivers and software available (for WEP too) however we cannot officially give them out yet. (Perhaps you can find me on the chat)

3- This is related to the type of network connection you have and your celltowers... see http://support.wmwifirouter.com/knowledge/KB0802013/

Thanks.. Sent you a PM..

Yeah, i cant even get the WiFi to USB to work either tonight! geez.. just says 0 packets sent 0 recieved.. but it does show connected LAN

Guest smoky bear
Do this...

Once you install the ICS cab, go and download / install WMWIFI. Version 0.91 is free for personal use or get the latest trial version to test it out.

Once both is install, do a soft reboot / reset.

Turn WIFI on, when ready, launch the WMWIFI in your program menu. That will auto launch the ICS and connect.

I did it on the Verizon Touch Pro recently and worked great.

Can you please tell me where to find this free version..

Thanks

Guest Chilids
Can you please tell me where to find this free version..

Thanks

To those who keep asking this question, read the whole topic and you'll find the answer. If you are too lazy to do that or don't know how to use google then that is your problem.

I have been using this fix for about a month now and wanted to share some info and possibly get some help. First of all it worked for me the very first time. Speeds very greatly but the most I have recorded was 1300 down and 980 up. I think I average about 700 down and 300 up though.

Many people were asking about the "waiting for ICS" problem. I have that problem too and it is getting worst by the day. If you turn on the log as you connect you'll see the rebind and cm-set fail when it ultimatly hangs at "waiting for ICS" To fix this I have started reinstalling ICS and then rebooting the computer. At first 1 reinstall and reboot was enough to bring it back every time. Now it is taking several tries and often I get an error when I try to reinstall. Note that ICS has never uninstalled I just reinstall over the old version each time. When it really doesn't work I throw a few soft resets and crash recovery in there just for good measure.

It appears over the long hall this program makes the phone unstable. I have nothing else installed on this phone except the default software and the 2 programs discussed here and the phone will go black, sometimes in the middle of a call. Once this happens I need pull the battery for a few mins, start the phone back up, and then reinstall ICS several times to get the router back up. I was wondering if anybody else is having issues with it crashing their whole phone as well.

Overall this has been a great find to allow tethering without Verizon sucking more money out of my pocket. I have yet to try the ICS through USB but since I often have more then 1 computer connected this isn't that big of an option but it would get rid of the waiting for ICS problem.

Chilids

Guest rjgorde

This is also my first post.

Thanx so much for the information.. As per the instructions the USB tethering with PC worked immediately after ICS install and a restart. Wifi with a Nokia N800 was also ultimately successful. It was a little hesitant at first, making the adhoc connection but without a connection to the internet. Another soft restart seemed to do the trick.

Thanx again.. this site and it's members are a great resource.

Guest SuzukiDan

I too am having the "Waiting for ICS.." problem using WMWifiRouter.. it works fine through USB or BT. I also noticed my phone does not have Wifi anymore anywhere in any screen! Wireless manager does not even show it. This program is unstable and it does seem to make the phone unstable as well. I have no software on this phone except the ones from this thread. I'm going to uninstall it until someone finds a solution. If I weren't so inept at PocketPCs I would fix it myself and post the solution B)

Guest SuzukiDan

Oh man.. this is bad. I tried to remove wmwifirouter and it did not remove it. So I got that "removal tool" from page 10 of this thread, on the xda forums, and it said it was now safe to remove the program files folder, which i did. So its gone. But the icon still shows up in my Programs list, but neither uninstall procedure works now. Also, my Wifi is GONE! If I didn't know any better, I'd think this phone didn't have wifi. I've tried several soft resets and REALLY don't want to do a hard reset ... can anyone please help??

Guest dwallersv

Gang, there are issues with the last "free" version of WMWifiRouter on the Omnia. It's pretty old software that when developed and debugged didn't have an Omnia to test on.

The commercial version of WMWifiRouter is very stable, and doesn't result in any of the problems you all are experiencing (I have it, and am very happy with it). For the price of two months of Verizon's tethering plan, you can buy the commercial version, and get real support if you're having problems. The Omnia is one of Morose Software's test platforms.

It's worth the money if tethering is important to you.

Edited by dwallersv

Oh man.. this is bad. I tried to remove wmwifirouter and it did not remove it. So I got that "removal tool" from page 10 of this thread, on the xda forums, and it said it was now safe to remove the program files folder, which i did. So its gone. But the icon still shows up in my Programs list, but neither uninstall procedure works now. Also, my Wifi is GONE! If I didn't know any better, I'd think this phone didn't have wifi. I've tried several soft resets and REALLY don't want to do a hard reset ... can anyone please help??

Try the following:

If you have WMWIFIRouter and your WIFI Disappear, try this 1. Soft reset 2. Do a wmwifirouter cleanup (run it and chose the cleanup if you have this installed) 3. Open programs task manager - now close everything.. wtf is activesync there! ^*(*&)(&^%*$ 4. Open the samsung wifi widget from the samsung today screen (as stated above, drag out, and click)… 5. Turn on wifi. It seems it wont work. 6. Turn off bluetooth, phone, wifi, then turn all back on. 7. After wifi times out TRY AGAIN, as it is trying, SOFT RESET (right away). 8. When it comes back on, immediately try Wifi On again.

This worked for me. This is from another post. I have had this happen twice. Once I followed the suggestion above and everything went back to normal. The other time I just did a crash reset, cycled off/on the bluetooth and phone, and did a soft reset. That worked too.

Edited by CBMC

Guest SuzukiDan

Thanks, but I tried that. I also tried the wmwifirouter removal tool from xda forums and so I cannot do a crash cleanup, nor can I reinstall wmwifirouter as it just produces an error during install..

Can anyone tell me what exactly a 'crash cleanup' does? I'll try and modify the registry keys/ files manually if anyone actually knows what to do..

Edited by SuzukiDan

Guest JamesBond007

Thank you for the instructions, and working to get this functional. I love it, sitting at Dulles Airport, wirelessly tethered to my Omnia, and working on my laptop online.....much easier today than my first few Windows Mobile phones. Great work!

Guest Alphamatroxom

Here's a rather strange question I can't seem to get an answer to anywhere else. You guys are up to the plate. I'm wanting to use my Omnia with ICS to connect through the USB to my WiFi router like a wireless card. Just wondering if it's possible. Just to make clear, I don't want it to connect through my USB to my cellular data service. If anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated if it's even possible

Guest gojuman

Guys,

I am not asking this question right so maybe this will help.....................again the problem is my inability to explain NOT your interpretation. I have Tethering programs working from here (well the cable solution..........the wifirouter has the same ICS issues as everyone is having). Below is a cut from my Verizon Bill. I know I need the Data Plan but do I need the 5GB Mobile Broad Band thing still?

Current Calling Plan 02/24 - 03/23 110.00

Current Data Plan 02/24 - 03/23 29.99

VZ Navigator -Advanced Devices 02/24 - 03/23 9.99

Mobile Broadband Connect 5GB 02/24 - 03/23 30.00

Guest strider_mt2k

I just finished setting up tethering per instructions and it's working great here!

My i910 Omnia now provides a connection for my Dell Mini 9, which I carry everywhere.

FINALLY a way to (seriously) leverage this internet connection -THANK YOU!!!

I passed a link to this site to a fellow i910 Omnia owner as well.

Guest strider_mt2k
I know theres a cap of 5gb if you're w/verizon. but with this is there still a cap..???

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the cap is the cap regardless of what you are using to access the web through your account.

What I did was simply bookmark my "my Verizon wireless" page to check how my usage is going.

So far so good.

Guest gruven98

Hey peeps... i don't mean to sound like a noob, but i guess i have no choice. B) I've read the entire thread and as far as i know i've done things right.

i'm trying to connect my omnia to my samsung nc10 through usb. when i click on the intshrui, it connnects, and i believe that my laptop is connected as well. but when i open up firefox, i get the page can't be displayed message. any thoughts from anyone? i mean, it looks like it connects, because when i open up exploder on the omnia, i can surf without any problems.

thanx in advance

*Note* I sent this as a PM to the genius behind this, but maybe some of you can answer this too. . .

Hi there and thanks a lot for the tethering methods posted. I just have two quick questions.

1. Why not just use the IntShrUI and select "Bluetooth PAN" and use bluetooth to allow my pc to use my phones data connection? I've tried this and it works out great and I'm not subscribed to a tethering plan from verizon. Will verizon charge me for this/add tethering plan to my bill?

2. WMWifiRouter works out great too, but I would only use it if I can't use the above mentioned bluetooth method without charge. Is there a way to secure the WMWifiRouter connection either via password or MAC restriction so that only I can access the connection when it is enabled and not every bloodsucker within range of my phone?

Thanks in advance.

Guest modidlee
Has anyone successfully tethered their i910 omnia yet or what?

this works! follow the steps EXACTLY and it worked for me the FIRST TIME. i've got an omnia i910 that i've had since christmas. i searched for this hack because of the need to decrease some of my bills. now i will probably cancel my cable internet! :excl: