[FIXED 12-5-08!!]Tethering on the I910 Verizon Omnia?

Guest somedude

Guest Tangeray

This is SIICK! Verizon tried to charge me $30/month. These guys are scumbags!

Couple questions.

1. How do I use just internet off my phone through USB. I got it to work once, now it doesnt. I don't want to have to drain my battery.

2. Is there a way to put a password on the wi-fi. Could you imagine being in a coffee shop with an unsecured network. All that data and verizon will notice, plus it says in the contract there is a cap for "unlimited data" I dont want any unecessary charges.

www.ScrubMoney.com

Guest theidoctor.org
This is SIICK! Verizon tried to charge me $30/month. These guys are scumbags!

Couple questions.

1. How do I use just internet off my phone through USB. I got it to work once, now it doesnt. I don't want to have to drain my battery.

2. Is there a way to put a password on the wi-fi. Could you imagine being in a coffee shop with an unsecured network. All that data and verizon will notice, plus it says in the contract there is a cap for "unlimited data" I dont want any unecessary charges.

www.ScrubMoney.com

if you get the wmwifi router 1.20 all that is included in 1 program!

Guest Tangeray
if you get the wmwifi router 1.20 all that is included in 1 program!

I got that, but I need instructions on how to change password, settings, ect. There are some different settings I dont understand

Guest ardvarkofdoom

Dude, I want to say thank yall for putting this program up! So, We've been getting really bad storms the last few days and about 30 minutes ago or so our power went out... Remembering about this threads, I got online on my omnia and downloaded the zip, transfered it to my computer, unzipped it, and put it back to my omnia... and presto... I have interwebs even with the power is out! :excl:

Guest OffGrid

I just installed per instructions and its workin on my i910(vzw) although im not sure it went 100%, once i installed ISC and connected the usb and did connect, i did not have internet, only a local network is that supposed to be all it does?

but as i continued with the rest of the instructions and wifirouter was up i connected from the laptop (vista), and vista set me up with some network options for that connection, i used public and turned off file sharing,

( So does that mean no file sharing from the laptop only? Is there access to the phones file system while its being used as a wifi access point?)

and i have to admit, its storming outside and the internet connection was faster than my cable modem, ( it loaded socialclub.rockstargames.com faster than usual for this laptop ( is that because i have the phone right next to the laptop?).

sorry for ranting on, but thank you for posting, this is great work!!!

Guest NEWBIE2THIS
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the cap is the cap regardless of what you are using to access the web through your account.

What I did was simply bookmark my "my Verizon wireless" page to check how my usage is going.

So far so good.

I have been using this for about two months and no charges for this ( as long as you don't use thier crap vz access manager)

just don't select on connections " as the modem thru usb". When you do this they can track your usage ( 5gb limit) and want to charge you 30.00 a month.

Guest pw-man

ok - so I have just started trying this, just using the ICS application (not WMwifi, as I don't have a need to share via wifi), and I can get connected. I do a ping to say, yahoo and get good results... but then within a second or two, verizon kicks me off and I get a notification "The remote party has ended this connection."

Anybody seen this and can comment on a fix or incorrect setup on my part?

Thanks!

pw-man

Guest CollectiveInk
Sounds like you have problem with the ICS install. Try a hard reset and install again.

I got it installed, and working fine (which was great considering I couldn't get VZAccess to even see my phone via USB or Bluetooth.) but I was wondering if there's anyway of making the connection "secure". In the wifi networks on my laptop the WMWifi shows as unsecured (or open for anyone to join.) and I'd rather not have half of Starbucks using my bandwidth, ya know? :excl:

Guest donsolo
ok - so I have just started trying this, just using the ICS application (not WMwifi, as I don't have a need to share via wifi), and I can get connected. I do a ping to say, yahoo and get good results... but then within a second or two, verizon kicks me off and I get a notification "The remote party has ended this connection."

Anybody seen this and can comment on a fix or incorrect setup on my part?

Thanks!

pw-man

This is exactly the problem I'm having.

-downloaded the zip file from the first post and ran ICSinstal.cab

-restarted my phone

-connected the USB cable

-opened IntShrUI and clicked connect

-it says "connected"

Then I click a link in firefox on my laptop and it typicaly loads the first one I try, but disconnects within a few seconds. I can click connect again, and it will give me another few seconds of hope, only to disconnect again. Sometimes it just disconnects, sometimes it gives me a "The remote party has ended this connection" message too. What was especially odd was when it disconnects, it locks my phone and I have to put in the pin I set up through the basic lock settings. So I disabled the pin and tried again, but it still disconnects after a couple seconds like before.

Anyone know what the deal is here?

Guest jessej

Got it to work, I just installed both at the same time and then restart and then start up wifi and then start up wmwifi router and it should work, I'm using the new rom, and I tried it on a custom rom and it didn't work, so I just reflash back and boom it works :D

Edited by jessej

Guest pw-man
This is exactly the problem I'm having.

-downloaded the zip file from the first post and ran ICSinstal.cab

-restarted my phone

-connected the USB cable

-opened IntShrUI and clicked connect

-it says "connected"

Then I click a link in firefox on my laptop and it typicaly loads the first one I try, but disconnects within a few seconds. I can click connect again, and it will give me another few seconds of hope, only to disconnect again. Sometimes it just disconnects, sometimes it gives me a "The remote party has ended this connection" message too. What was especially odd was when it disconnects, it locks my phone and I have to put in the pin I set up through the basic lock settings. So I disabled the pin and tried again, but it still disconnects after a couple seconds like before.

Anyone know what the deal is here?

bump on this.. maybe you and I are the only two with the problem.

I notice a lot of folks using WiFi to tether, but I'd just as soon use the usb cable for the few times I need to thether...

Guest rick311

i got this to work the very first time! im actually connected to my phone typing this right now. i didnt connect a usb cable as it instructs you to do, since i left it in the car and i was too lazy to get it. never the less, it works great. ive got the US verizon i910. its a shame im returning this phone this weekend.

Guest cOnTaGoUs

when i installed the ICS.cab and reset phone, then i navigated to /windows and found the exe ran it, connected it told me i had new connection on my vista pc, but when i tested internet it didnt work, i ran ipconfig and release and kept getting 169 ip any ideas how to get this working on my i910?

thanks

Guest somedude
i got this to work the very first time! im actually connected to my phone typing this right now. i didnt connect a usb cable as it instructs you to do, since i left it in the car and i was too lazy to get it. never the less, it works great. ive got the US verizon i910. its a shame im returning this phone this weekend.

Can i ask why you are returning it?

Guest jmath679

I installed and had no problems at all. I do have one question for the more knowledgeable people here. Would running Warcraft off of the phone connection be obvious to Verizon and would it cause me to go over the 5gb cap?

Guest ThinkingSerious

First, this solution works as advertised for me. Thanks!

My problem is that every other day or so my WiFi goes missing. Meaning that if I go to my Wireless settings, the Wifi button is missing. The only way I've been able to fix this is a hard reset, which is far from ideal.

Anyone else have this issue? Any fixes?

Guest xxmadhatter

works like a charm! thanks for helping us stick it to the man! on my old voyager they had a hack to do this too, im glad you found another one. PROpS

Guest OctaneMS
First, this solution works as advertised for me. Thanks!

My problem is that every other day or so my WiFi goes missing. Meaning that if I go to my Wireless settings, the Wifi button is missing. The only way I've been able to fix this is a hard reset, which is far from ideal.

Anyone else have this issue? Any fixes?

If you have WMWIFIRouter and your WIFI Disappears, try this:

1. Soft reset

2. Run WMWifiRouter

3. Click Options > Crash Cleanup

If you still have problems continue to Step 4.

4. Open programs task manager and close everything

5. Open the samsung wifi widget from the samsung today screen.

6. Turn on wifi. It seems it wont work.

7. Turn off bluetooth, phone, wifi, then turn all back on.

8. After wifi times out TRY AGAIN, as it is trying, SOFT RESET (right away).

9. When it comes back on, immediately try turning Wifi On again.

Guest rick311
Can i ask why you are returning it?

realized im not a huge fan of windows mobile. i dont like the battery life of this phone (or lack there of). i realized its not as easy to use as i thought it would be. still doesnt meant its not a great phone!! if i had the brains or patience to figure it all out, im sure i would have loved this device.

Guest ThinkingSerious

1. Soft reset

2. Run WMWifiRouter

Awesome! Thanks!

I will try this next time WiFi dis-appears and report back.

Guest ThinkingSerious

1. Soft reset

2. Run WMWifiRouter

Awesome! Thanks!

I will try this next time WiFi dis-appears and report back.