[FIXED 12-5-08!!]Tethering on the I910 Verizon Omnia?

Guest somedude

Guest pw-man
bump on this.. maybe you and I are the only two with the problem.

I notice a lot of folks using WiFi to tether, but I'd just as soon use the usb cable for the few times I need to thether...

Anbody ever received this message on their Omnia ? "The remote party has ended this connection" message too

I can't connect via USB because as soon as I get a connection this message pops up and my connection is dropped...

Thanks for any tips (besides try wi-fi as I don't particularly want to use that method) Thanks!!!

Guest JRVandy

How to: Get Wifi Tethering working on the Verizon Omnia I910

Dude, you rock worked 1st try! Most fun I've had in a while! Wow does the battery go down fast. Lost 25% in about 10 minutes.

Guest jbrittmartin

can people confirm that this works with a Macbook?

i've seen only a couple of posts in this thread concerning Macs and there's no definitive answer as to whether or not USB tethering and wifi tethering work.

Guest ThinkingSerious
can people confirm that this works with a Macbook?

i've seen only a couple of posts in this thread concerning Macs and there's no definitive answer as to whether or not USB tethering and wifi tethering work.

Wifi tethering works on my MacBook Pro. Have not tried USB tethering.

Guest ThinkingSerious
Anbody ever received this message on their Omnia ? "The remote party has ended this connection" message too

I can't connect via USB because as soon as I get a connection this message pops up and my connection is dropped...

Thanks for any tips (besides try wi-fi as I don't particularly want to use that method) Thanks!!!

When I get this message, I usually just click the button that gets rid of the message and all is back to normal. But this is using WiFi.

Guest jbrittmartin
Wifi tethering works on my MacBook Pro. Have not tried USB tethering.

thanks for the quick reply.... just about to try this on my Omnia now.

Guest jbrittmartin

ok.... i just installed the ICSInstall.cab

connected my USB cable and ran the IntShrUI program....

when i select "connect" i get the status "Check USB cable connection"

i never get the "Connected" status.

any advice?

UPDATE: i installed the WMWifiRouter and have successfully tethered via wifi.... but i still get the above error when trying to tether via USB. i am using a macbook... so i can't download the ActiveSync drivers... i'm pretty sure this is the problem. the wifi tethering works though.... so i guess that'll do for now.

any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Edited by jbrittmartin

Guest kilr0y

**** If you have installed any other ICS files before you will need to do a hard reset. ****

Use the files I have attached.

1. Download/Install the attached "ICSInstall.CAB" file.
    (You may not need to do 2 - 6 but this is how I got it to work.)
  2. Restart your phone.
  3. Test the install by Connecting the USB cable to your computer.
  4. Then run "IntShrUI" from the Programs Menu and select "Connect".
  5. If done correctly the program should display "Connected".
  6. Now select "Disconnect" and disconnect the USB cable.
  7. Download/Install the attached "WMWifiRouter91.CAB" file.
  8. Restart your phone.
  9. Turn on Wifi.
  10. Run WMWifiRouter from the Programs Menu.
  11. Select "Connect"
  12. If done correctly the program should display "Connected to WMWifiRouter Ready".
  13. From your computer search for the "WMWifiRouter" wireless connection.
  14. Now have fun surfing the web from anywhere.
*You may need to restart your phone and repeat steps 10 - 14 a few times to get it to work.

This most gracious post also works wonderfully with HTC Touch Pro VX6850. Thank You!!! <_<

Guest BuddyJesus
is it possible to add WEP to the WMWifiRouter? perhaps even change the SSID?

Yes, you can secure it, not sure about changing the SSID...

Follow my instructions and you should be good to go unless I fudged something...

Start->Settings -> Connections tab and select WiFi

Click on the drop down box at the bottom of the screen and select "Only Conputer-to-computer"

You should see WMWifiRouter, Select it.

Click next one time...

Change Authentication: to "Shared"

Change Data Encryption to "WEP

for 64 bit encryption type in a 10 digit number in the "Network Key:" box (I used my phone number, easy to remember)

I don't think encryption really matters all that much for me because I don't plan on using it in 1 spot for very long and the odds of someone sniffing the key should be small... Just don't want anyone stealing the little bandwidth I have.

Click "Next" and then "Finish"

Use the 10 digit key on the computer that is linking to it through WiFi...

Hope this helps.

Guest ThinkingSerious
This most gracious post also works wonderfully with HTC Touch Pro VX6850. Thank You!!! <_<

This worked for me also. Thanks!

Guest BuddyJesus
ok.... i just installed the ICSInstall.cab

connected my USB cable and ran the IntShrUI program....

when i select "connect" i get the status "Check USB cable connection"

i never get the "Connected" status.

any advice?

UPDATE: i installed the WMWifiRouter and have successfully tethered via wifi.... but i still get the above error when trying to tether via USB. i am using a macbook... so i can't download the ActiveSync drivers... i'm pretty sure this is the problem. the wifi tethering works though.... so i guess that'll do for now.

any help would be appreciated. thank you.

The usb option probably won't work with a mac... Go buy a PC <_<

You can probably connect to it through Bluetooth if your not a fan of the WiFi, saves power but speeds seem to be a little slower and range would be an issue.

To use the BT option, all you need to do is link the devices and run Internet Sharing UI, drop down the PC connection to Bluetooth PAN and click connect. Next just click on your macbook's BT config? I use a pc so I have no clue how you would do it, but you should have an option to join a BT Private area network or something along those lines. Choose your phone(App has to be running on the phone) and it should link up.

Guest BuddyJesus
First, this solution works as advertised for me. Thanks!

My problem is that every other day or so my WiFi goes missing. Meaning that if I go to my Wireless settings, the Wifi button is missing. The only way I've been able to fix this is a hard reset, which is far from ideal.

Anyone else have this issue? Any fixes?

In WMWifiRouter click options and select Crash Cleanup... Softreset... Should be good to go. At least thats how I fix the issue when my WiFi vanishes from my phone.

Also, you can skip the WMWifiRouter app all together if you can use a Bluetooth connection. Saves battery, but you won't have the range, but I would assume the phone is pretty close to the PC your using.

Edited by BuddyJesus

Guest dserhal

Has anyone tried to do this tethering process after they flashed the CC20 ROM?

I've already flashed the CC20.

I'm thinking of trying this tethering so I don't have to pay verizon $15 for tethering but not sure if all the troubles people are having is worth it.

Thanks

Guest Wadzii

i cant connect with usb either.. same problem as jbrittmartin

im connecting to a lenovo t60 running xp, everything else works fine.. just no usb connection when using ICS

Guest YXIOW
Has anyone tried to do this tethering process after they flashed the CC20 ROM?

I've already flashed the CC20.

I'm thinking of trying this tethering so I don't have to pay verizon $15 for tethering but not sure if all the troubles people are having is worth it.

Thanks

I have and it works. I have only used it with the usb cord attached with XP. Works great.

Guest ThinkingSerious
In WMWifiRouter click options and select Crash Cleanup... Softreset... Should be good to go. At least thats how I fix the issue when my WiFi vanishes from my phone.

Also, you can skip the WMWifiRouter app all together if you can use a Bluetooth connection. Saves battery, but you won't have the range, but I would assume the phone is pretty close to the PC your using.

Thanks!

Can you post the step by step on how to do the Bluetooth connection?

Do you ever tether via USB?

It's really annoying to deal with the Wifi issue.

Guest dserhal
I have and it works. I have only used it with the usb cord attached with XP. Works great.

Thanks, I have the CC20 ROM and XP. Glad to hear it works.

Guest baldoski
Thanks, I have the CC20 ROM and XP. Glad to hear it works.

Ok i tried this one thru the step-by-step as posted and here's what i got...

Phone said Connected to WMRouter..Ready

I clicked WMRouter on my pc and hit connect.

PC said connected, but i can't connect to Internet.

what could have i missed here?

Am using i900 with DXID1 build 21215 ROM from Shokka9 and Eee PC 1000HE laptop.

will appreciate the help..

thanks in advance.

Guest shmackitup
Has anyone successfully tethered their i910 omnia yet or what?

Yes, it works!!! It took me a while and I kept getting errors but then it just magically started working!!! Don't really know why or how but it works. Just keep on fiddling around with it and you too should get lucky. Try running IE or Opera first to get the data call initiated, that's the only thing I think that helped.

Guest gamegetter

This worked great for me on the first attempt!

I was able to skip steps 2-6 with no issues.

I have now secured my network and am good to go!

Why is this thread not stickied?! <_<

Guest tall_matt

My work's VPN connection uses UDP (and Cisco VPN)

This doesn't seem to work via the tethered setup here (which I do love, thanks.) I've tried it both as wireless, and then also just using Internet Sharing and connecting to my USB port (by the way people that are concerned about others connecting to your wi-fi connection, or the phone getting hot, or the battery draining, just use the wire)

Anyone know how to enable UDP? Or is this a Verizon thing, and I'm SOL?

thanks

Guest tall_matt
My work's VPN connection uses UDP (and Cisco VPN)

This doesn't seem to work via the tethered setup here (which I do love, thanks.) I've tried it both as wireless, and then also just using Internet Sharing and connecting to my USB port (by the way people that are concerned about others connecting to your wi-fi connection, or the phone getting hot, or the battery draining, just use the wire)

Anyone know how to enable UDP? Or is this a Verizon thing, and I'm SOL?

thanks

Well - I still have the ability to use VZAccess manager, and I just tried that. I can connect to my VPN using it - so there must be something in the ICS software that's blocking UDP? At least that's my best guess. I'll try poking around some more.

Guest Wilunleashed

**** If you have installed any other ICS files before you will need to do a hard reset. ****

Use the files I have attached.

1. Download/Install the attached "ICSInstall.CAB" file.
    (You may not need to do 2 - 6 but this is how I got it to work.)
  2. Restart your phone.
  3. Test the install by Connecting the USB cable to your computer.
  4. Then run "IntShrUI" from the Programs Menu and select "Connect".
  5. If done correctly the program should display "Connected".
  6. Now select "Disconnect" and disconnect the USB cable.
  7. Download/Install the attached "WMWifiRouter91.CAB" file.
  8. Restart your phone.
  9. Turn on Wifi.
  10. Run WMWifiRouter from the Programs Menu.
  11. Select "Connect"
  12. If done correctly the program should display "Connected to WMWifiRouter Ready".
  13. From your computer search for the "WMWifiRouter" wireless connection.
  14. Now have fun surfing the web from anywhere.
*You may need to restart your phone and repeat steps 10 - 14 a few times to get it to work.

I followed these steps carefully. Repeated 10-14 many times. When I select "Connect" from #11, it states:

Connected

WLAN is ON Waiting for ICS...

It remains at that status. What am I doing wrong??

Edited by Wilunleashed

Guest ralphtrent2

Hello

I got this to work a few days ago, but when I try now, I get an error saying, "Can not connect, disconnected by the remote host" what does that mean? Is verizon cutting me off? This is happening over wifi and usb.

Thanks,

RalphTrent