[FIXED 12-5-08!!]Tethering on the I910 Verizon Omnia?

Guest somedude

Guest Richard713

does this work with the ps3? when i scan for available networks the wmwifirouter ssid doesnt even show, any thoughts? apart of me thinks that the ps3 does not support adhoc networks but anyone know for sure?

Guest Wilunleashed

Okay, so ignore my previous post. I've managed to figure how to get the phone connected to WMWIFIrouter. So now both my IMAC and Itouch recognize the router. I select the router option. But I can't get any internet action. In fact, my Itouch appears to be connected, but when I try to access SAFARI or any internet activity, it says "cannot open page" because no internet connection????

Is there an additional setting needed so the computer trying to access can connect?? I'm lost???

Guest bigbarrel
Okay, so ignore my previous post. I've managed to figure how to get the phone connected to WMWIFIrouter. So now both my IMAC and Itouch recognize the router. I select the router option. But I can't get any internet action. In fact, my Itouch appears to be connected, but when I try to access SAFARI or any internet activity, it says "cannot open page" because no internet connection????

Is there an additional setting needed so the computer trying to access can connect?? I'm lost???

I have the same question...so I second your question.

Guest nerdherd

Hey, the download for the ICS...CAB file isn't working! Can someone get that fixed?

Update: It looks like the link has been fixed. I just followed the directions exactly as listed and it's working! It disconnected on me after a few minutes, but it reconnected and seemed to be ok after that. I hope it keeps on working. Thanks!!!

Edited by nerdherd

Guest Thomasd1979

I love you. And this time I mean it.

But seriously, thanks for saving me 30 bucks a month for the privlage of using a service I'm already paying for on a bigger screen that I already paid for.

Guest DxTania

I can confirm the bluetooth tethering works on a macbook.

All you do is pair up your phone and macbook, then click the bluetooth icon in the top right, click on your phone, and click something like use for internet. I can't remember exactly what it said but it was pretty straightforward.

Also wifi sharing does not work for nintendo ds's for anyone who was wondering :D

works for everything else though.

Guest True2BSU

SWEET!!! Worked first time like a charm! Thanks SO much! I get about 500kbs download and 200k upload. In nowhere Idaho, not too bad!

Guest m5fox

HOPING SOMEONE CAN HELP ME!!!

I installed the WMWIFIROUTER exactly like below..... I didn't need to repeat any steps, IT WORKS GREAT FOR TRANSMITTING A WIFI SIGNAL!!! I connect my computer without any issues....

HERES THE ISSUE!

I use SkyFire to search the Web on my I910, it work fine, connection to the internet is fine. The problem is that's the only thing that connects to the internet. I can't get my Email, Facebook App, YouTube App, or Microsoft live to connect...???? Please help

How to: Get Wifi Tethering working on the Verizon Omnia I910

**** If you have installed any other ICS files before you will need to do a hard reset. ****

Use the files I have attached.

1. Download/Install the attached "ICSInstall.CAB" file.

(You may not need to do 2 - 6 but this is how I got it to work.)

2. Restart your phone.

3. Test the install by Connecting the USB cable to your computer.

4. Then run "IntShrUI" from the Programs Menu and select "Connect".

5. If done correctly the program should display "Connected".

6. Now select "Disconnect" and disconnect the USB cable.

7. Download/Install the attached "WMWifiRouter91.CAB" file.

8. Restart your phone.

9. Turn on Wifi.

10. Run WMWifiRouter from the Programs Menu.

11. Select "Connect"

12. If done correctly the program should display "Connected to WMWifiRouter Ready".

13. From your computer search for the "WMWifiRouter" wireless connection.

14. Now have fun surfing the web from anywhere.

*You may need to restart your phone and repeat steps 10 - 14 a few times to get it to work.

Guest m5fox

Well, i think i have it fixed. I did a SoftReboot and now i can get email and my YouTube App, but not FaceBook. I did another SoftReboot and now my FaceBook works.....funny...

HOPING SOMEONE CAN HELP ME!!!

I installed the WMWIFIROUTER exactly like below..... I didn't need to repeat any steps, IT WORKS GREAT FOR TRANSMITTING A WIFI SIGNAL!!! I connect my computer without any issues....

HERES THE ISSUE!

I use SkyFire to search the Web on my I910, it work fine, connection to the internet is fine. The problem is that's the only thing that connects to the internet. I can't get my Email, Facebook App, YouTube App, or Microsoft live to connect...???? Please help

**** If you have installed any other ICS files before you will need to do a hard reset. ****

2. Restart your phone.

8. Restart your phone.

9. Turn on Wifi.

11. Select "Connect"

12. If done correctly the program should display "Connected to WMWifiRouter Ready".

*You may need to restart your phone and repeat steps 10 - 14 a few times to get it to work.

Guest ViOTeK

I'm with Telus in Canada. ICS was already installed on my phone. Is this a modded ICS cab? Or does verizon not include this file? Secondly, seeing as it was already included, is there any way for Telus to determine that I'm using ICS to tether my laptop? Does using the wifi router prevent detection? Or is it the same either way (usb or wifi)? I'm only concerned because they charge data usage through a laptop at an insane rate ($8/mb), but my data plan is unlimited. Can anyone with Telus confirm that this is not detectable by them?

Guest pohi11002
ok.... i just installed the ICSInstall.cab

connected my USB cable and ran the IntShrUI program....

when i select "connect" i get the status "Check USB cable connection"

i never get the "Connected" status.

any advice?

UPDATE: i installed the WMWifiRouter and have successfully tethered via wifi.... but i still get the above error when trying to tether via USB. i am using a macbook... so i can't download the ActiveSync drivers... i'm pretty sure this is the problem. the wifi tethering works though.... so i guess that'll do for now.

any help would be appreciated. thank you.

I had the same problem and just got it working again. I had the IntShrUI program working fine with the USB tether, but after my laptop crashed it would not work anymore. I had the same message that said "Check USB cable connection". What I had to do in order to get it working was install active sync from microsoft, and everything wokred perfectly.

Hope this helps

Guest agreen182

Hey everyone, terribly sorry if this has been covered, but I'm having a bit of a problem- I got wmwifirouter to work GREAT at first, and it was sharing with my computer and everything was working, but then my phone froze and the connection stopped. I reset my phone, and I was no longer able to even turn my phone's wifi connection on.

I somehow was able to fix it (I have no idea what exactly I did), but now it's back to that state- I can't even turn on wifi on my phone. I tried to uninstall and re-install ICS and WMWIFI, but when I tried that it said the previous version could not be removed. And now I can't get wmwifi to even run, and when I try to re-install it it won't let me. What can I do besides hard reset?

Guest wratchetwrist
Sounds like you have problem with the ICS install. Try a hard reset and install again.

I was 'lucky' enough to get an Omnia i910 last week, with newer rom, ver 20276, which comes WITHOUT the ICS... :D

I already had WM WiFi Router ver 1.35 installed but could only connect to the network, not internet... ;)

After downloading the ICS file here, making sure ActivSync was off, installing ICS file and following the instructions, my phone screen hung up a couple of times; all it needed was a SOFT reset, twice, and it was working fine - have been online now for several hours without a problem!! THANK YOU!!!!! :D

Guest vwdude04

I just got this to install and work, but I was wondering if I'll see any additional charges on my Verizon bill for using this, and I have the unlimited data plan for my Omnia, but is there a limit on how much data I can use?

Guest vicemagnet

2. Restart your phone.
  8. Restart your phone.
  9. Turn on Wifi.
  11. Select "Connect"

OctaneMS, thank you for figuring this out and posting it. Works for me on my Verizon Omnia and Vista Business SP2 laptop!

Guest Turborepu

the unlimited pda plan has no limit, i have gone over the 5gb all these months.. I was seeing an extra 11 dollars for data usage on the bill but that was on my wife's line, not on the omnia line. That is due to her downloading stuff and browsing the web here and there on her Alias.

Edited by Turborepu

Guest oscar2k23

is it just me or do I have to hit "connect" a couple of times till both the computer and phone stay connected. Some of the time the phone says connected, but the computer is looking for the network, once its found it, the phone disconnects.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Johnholmes

Hello everyone. Thanks for the hard work. I have a question I hope you can help me with, where do I install the files? Do i need a special program? I have flashed my phone it's a verizon i910. Thank you for your time. I am a newbie that this, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest delsoul6

They monitor internet activity and block some sites at my job so I wanted to use ICS to surf freely. I'm using BGill's latest ROM. I connect via USB and open ICS on my Omnia and connect. I go to internet connections on XP and it lists both the LAN connection and my phone so I disconnect the office LAN. When I open the browser though no web sites will load. Could the IT dept here have tethering blocked somehow? Any ideas???

Guest PIYIRIO
They monitor internet activity and block some sites at my job so I wanted to use ICS to surf freely. I'm using BGill's latest ROM. I connect via USB and open ICS on my Omnia and connect. I go to internet connections on XP and it lists both the LAN connection and my phone so I disconnect the office LAN. When I open the browser though no web sites will load. Could the IT dept here have tethering blocked somehow? Any ideas???

go to the connection settings on the pc browser and make sure the box "no proxy" is checked...

Guest rex126

Hello,

I have followed all the instructions here, installed ICS (connects fine via usb). The Wmwifirouter91.cab runs fine and connects, the only issue is that it connects to my home wifi network. It was my understanding that it was supposed to generate a wifi network of its own so you could connect to and use the ICS connection. I am not sure what the point is if it connects to my home router that already has internet on it. Sorry for the noob question, but if anyone could help me solve this or clarify it for me I would appreciate it ;)

UPDATE:

I have got it to work now :) (actually typing this post edit using the connection). I had to select the computer to computer connections only and select WMWifiRouter connection, and presto it connected fine.

Edited by rex126

Guest bluayez

For those getting the "WLAN is ON Waiting for ICS" message. I was getting that. While I was playing around trying to fix it, I went into Start/Settings/connections/Wifi (on Phone)

I could see the wmf... wireless network showing as disconnected. Since it wasn't working, I figured I'd try and see what I could do with that. clicked and held down on the connection and a menu poped up. Clicked on Connect there and after it connected, all was good. The ICS message went away and it showed as connected. And I was able to access the internet just fine after that on my netbook.

Hope this helps!

Guest vash8806

Okay...So you've been trying to tether your PC through your omnia's data plan huh?!

BUT you have a problem... You installed a custom ROM on ur Omnia.and then installed the two applications found on this thread...

1. WifiRouter.cab (Used for wireless connection to your laptop/PC to access internet provided by the 30 bux you pay to verizon for data plan)

2. ICSInstall.cab (Used for USB/Bluetooth connection to your laptop/PC, to access internet provided by your data plan)

Well...so far the thread has been good AND bad. Sorry but I must speak out. I read 17 pages, all hopeless, until the last post hinted a glimmer for all those that failed at installation..

Like me, I'm sure you had.... "WiFi Connected, Waiting for ICS" and that was the end of it right?!?!? well..my friends...easy n simple step...

YOU DONT HAVE TO HARD RESET AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVEN IF YOU'VE HAD A DIFFERENT VERSION OF "ICSinstall.cab" BEFORE YOU USED THIS ONE!!!!

1. Turn WMWiFiRouter OFF...

2. Turn your WiFi connection on from the wireless manager page. DO NOT CONNECT TO ANY OTHER CONNECTIONS THAT ARE PRESENT!! [for example your home wireless router, etc.]

3. Turn WMWiFiRouter ON, and connect. and WHAAlaHH! there ya go!! all done..

**** IF WIFI option disappeared from your "wireless manager" page.... Simply perform 4 steps to bring it back...

1. Go to WiFiRouter..... Go to options>Crash Cleanup

2. Exit WMWifiRouter and restart your phone..[soft reset]....

3. Might take a couple of soft resets.[took me 1 only] ..but it should be back the next time you check in "wireless manager"...

4. Now simply follow the steps above...and you'll be enjoying speeds up to 1.3 Mbps [3G...also known as EVDO for verizon] on your laptop!!

In Houston, TX I get around 1.2-1.5 Mbps download @ speedtest.net with an average of 211 ms ping....

As far as comparison between USB vs. WiFi connection to PC goes... THey're both @ the same speed from what I can tell..

attached you will find the files necessary for tethering, if you don't want to scroll back to page 1... as for the rest of the directions...follow the steps already provided by the guru's:

Download/Install the attached "ICSInstall.CAB" file.

Restart your phone.

Test the install by Connecting the USB cable to your computer.

Then run "IntShrUI" from the Programs Menu and select "Connect".

If done correctly the program should display "Connected".

Now select "Disconnect" and disconnect the USB cable.

Download/Install the attached "WMWifiRouter91.CAB" file.

Restart your phone.

Turn on Wifi.

Run WMWifiRouter from the Programs Menu.

Select "Connect"

If done correctly the program should display "Connected to WMWifiRouter Ready".

From your computer search for the "WMWifiRouter" wireless connection.

Now have fun surfing the web from anywhere.

OctaneMS, thank you for figuring this out and posting it. Works for me on my Verizon Omnia and Vista Business SP2 laptop!

ALSO OUT IS THE CM WiFi internet sharing utility...try @ ur own risk../benefit...

I <3 my omnia... weee!!!

WMWifiRouter.CAB

ICSInstall.CAB