[FIXED 12-5-08!!]Tethering on the I910 Verizon Omnia?

Guest somedude

Guest Worrksforcox

I updated my ROM to the new fixed one that allows GPS and reinstalled ICS. Now when I try to do connect it says "Cannot connect for an unknown reason, To change your connection settings tap settings". I am able to surf web pages etc so I know my data is working. Is it possible that the new rom is incompatible with the ICS (maybe intentionally by verizon)? Has anyone else had trouble with the new official samsung rom and tethering?

Guest xx4000

Hey when i opened up the box for my omnia they gave me software to tether the phone with. Did this happen to anyone else? From what i read i havent seen anyone that has but who knows maybe im just blind.

edit: sorry guess i was just blind duh stupid me

Edited by xx4000

Guest natedawg1013

Just to let everyone know...

Back when I was using the free version of WMWifiRouter, every time I used it, my Wifi disappeared. This is the preventative fix that always worked for me.

1)Turn on Wifi BEFORE starting WMWifiRouter.

2)Run WMWifiRouter as you normally would.

3)DON'T close it! Only close it using crah cleanup.

Much simpler than trying to get Wifi back every time.

Guest howiem

hi, i'm new here and i would like to tether my i9010 like everyone else but can't figure out how to get the files mentioned here to my phone... i know it's simple but for the life of me i can't figure it out. HELP

NEVER MIND, (Google is my friend) I figured it out... Just incase someone else needs this info this is what I did... from my laptop, I downloaded the ZIP files to my memory card, ( I had to load the Companion CD for Samsung Omnia onto my laptop which loaded the drivers so windows could see my Omnia) then placed the card in my Omnia and followed the instructions listed here.

Use the files I have attached.

Download/Install the attached "ICSInstall.CAB" file.

(You may not need to do 2 - 6 but this is how I got it to work.)

Restart your phone.

Test the install by Connecting the USB cable to your computer.

Then run "IntShrUI" from the Programs Menu and select "Connect".

If done correctly the program should display "Connected".

Now select "Disconnect" and disconnect the USB cable.

Download/Install the attached "WMWifiRouter91.CAB" file.

Restart your phone.

Turn on Wifi.

Run WMWifiRouter from the Programs Menu.

Select "Connect"

If done correctly the program should display "Connected to WMWifiRouter Ready".

From your computer search for the "WMWifiRouter" wireless connection.

Now have fun surfing the web from anywhere.

*You may need to restart your phone and repeat steps 10 - 14 a few times to get it to work.

OctaneMS, thank you for figuring this out and posting it. Works for me on my Verizon Omnia and WinXP Pro SP3 laptop! ;) ;) ;) :D :angry: B) :D :D

Edited by howiem

Guest gabelogan99

Internet Sharing is working fine for me. I can't get the WiFi to work and I've tried everything I can think of. When I go to turn WiFi on, it holds at "Connecting" and never says "Connected". I run WMWiFiRouter and then try to connect the WiFi and it still doesn't work. I have NOT had a problem with WiFi disappearing completely. It is still there, I just can't connect it. Any ideas?

Guest howiem
Internet Sharing is working fine for me. I can't get the WiFi to work and I've tried everything I can think of. When I go to turn WiFi on, it holds at "Connecting" and never says "Connected". I run WMWiFiRouter and then try to connect the WiFi and it still doesn't work. I have NOT had a problem with WiFi disappearing completely. It is still there, I just can't connect it. Any ideas?

I would do a hard reset and follow the instructions posted above.

Guest dbsimms63

When you see this message, click the x in the upper right hand corner of WMWifiRouter and then click on the IntShrUI, if the status shows disconnected in the upper left hand corner, simply hit the connect on the lower left and when you see the screen gray out, hit the x in the upper right and then re open the WMWifiRouter and it should be all green and connected. No hard reset is necessary. If you do, you will have to re-install IntShrUi and WMWIfiRouter, what a pain. Good Luck!

Edited by dbsimms63

Guest kdkinc

I've used these ics programs before and they all work,however.....

When I do a download speed test the Kbps seems to be about 50% slower than VZ access.

I do straight tethering with no wifi.

Yesterday I conected using my Rom's Ics programs ( Both BG's & BW's) and did a test then did the same test using VZ access .

I like to save money like anyone else but I really don't want to sacrifice the speed.

What am I missing or not understanding ??? :D

Guest acoustics86

Probably a dumb question already answered here but I couldnt find the answer...

Has anyone ever gotten billed by Verizon by using either the tether by USB option or the WMWifiRouter program? Thats all that matters to me, I don't want a huge bill next month.

I have gotten both to work and am extremely impressed and pleased. thank you for this, one of the greatest programs ever.

Guest NeoandGeo

I would like to know the bill situation as well. I didn't recall seeing anyone here getting nailed, but want to make sure before I try this on my phone.

Also when using a smart phone data plan is it really unlimited or limited to 5GB?

Edited by NeoandGeo

Guest nmayer79

when i use ics it says it connected, on vista 64bit laptop i have open network sharing center i see it connecting, then identifying, and right as it signals internet access ics disconnects on my phone, EVERYTIME. any ideas, tried it on activesync and mass storage, as modem w/ usb and regular broadband. nothing, im stuck??????? HELP!!!!!

Guest Otterdude
I would like to know the bill situation as well. I didn't recall seeing anyone here getting nailed, but want to make sure before I try this on my phone.

Also when using a smart phone data plan is it really unlimited or limited to 5GB?

I havent been hit and I used almost 18GB a couple months ago

Guest gabelogan99

I still can not get WMWiFiRouter to work. I'm having a new problem now. It is connecting fine on the phone, so it seems, and my computer is recognizing the connection but it will not connect to it. It just has the exclaimation point over the internet icon at the bottom. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Guest NeoandGeo

I've had success with my new phone as well. The Wifi generally works on the first try each time. Sometimes for the wired connection I have to retry up to 7 times, but it eventually works. Getting nearly 1Mbps down and 500kbps up with 2-3 signal bars. :)

Guest akusokuzan

Has anyone with bell tried this yet? I don't want to use it, only to find myself being charged ridiculous rates for tethering without their expensive plan. Can someone please let me knoww...

Guest NeoandGeo

Several have confirmed they have not received any extra charges. If I receive anything more than the $30 data plan, I will simply refuse to pay them and drop their service since I am not in a contract with them.

Updated to the new rom installed ICS and got it connected though the usb cable soft reset and installed wifirouter .91 soft reset and go to connect and all i get is WLAN is on Waiting on ICS. It has worked before but i cant get it to work now and im going away for the weekend and need it i have soft reset about 10 times now and still nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest grayzkule

I installed IntShrUI ages ago on my Omnia and it worked great until I got a new computer. It keeps on randomly disconnecting over and over again (as in every few seconds) saying "Cannot connect, disconnected from the remote server" and only stays connected occasionally. On our old computers it still works great. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gr8games

thank you thank you.

I installed this to my phone and was up and running on the internet in under 3 minutes both thru usb and through wifi. actually using wifi right now and it works great thanks again i have been wanting something like this and found it absurd that they wanted 15 more a month just to do it. awesome!!!!!

FYI: i am running vista on my laptop, and MRCapcoms WM6.5 on my phone and havn't had any problems.

Guest TheWhopper

The instructions were simple and accurate to the letter.... :)

But...has anyone got it to work with WEP enabled? (I don't want someone hopping on my connection when I'm at a hotel or somewhere.)

With WEP enabled, my laptop connects, acquires an IP but I can't access any sites. With WEP disabled everything works fine.

Any ideas?