[FIXED 12-5-08!!]Tethering on the I910 Verizon Omnia?

Guest somedude

How to: Get Wifi Tethering working on the Verizon Omnia I910

**** If you have installed any other ICS files before you will need to do a hard reset. ****

Use the files I have attached.

1. Download/Install the attached "ICSInstall.CAB" file.
    (You may not need to do 2 - 6 but this is how I got it to work.)
  2. Restart your phone.
  3. Test the install by Connecting the USB cable to your computer.
  4. Then run "IntShrUI" from the Programs Menu and select "Connect".
  5. If done correctly the program should display "Connected".
  6. Now select "Disconnect" and disconnect the USB cable.
  7. Download/Install the attached "WMWifiRouter91.CAB" file.
  8. Restart your phone.
  9. Turn on Wifi.
  10. Run WMWifiRouter from the Programs Menu.
  11. Select "Connect"
  12. If done correctly the program should display "Connected to WMWifiRouter Ready".
  13. From your computer search for the "WMWifiRouter" wireless connection.
  14. Now have fun surfing the web from anywhere.
*You may need to restart your phone and repeat steps 10 - 14 a few times to get it to work.

I had an Omnia and this worked perfectly. I just got a Q9 Napoleon and would like to get this working on that as well. It has the IntShrUI program already loaded but only has the USB option.

Do you know what is in the "ICSInstall.CAB" file that enables wifi on the omnia. Would that work on the Q9N or is it device specific? If not, what is there that I could edit so it would work on the Q9N.

Thanks

Yesterday was WOW today is way less than WOW

This morning I had NO problem getting a internet connection however VERIZON had some how taken over my Internet.

All I could get was a subscribe to there tethering program page for the $15.00 which I had canceled yesterday afternoon.

The only way I could see to get my net back was to click and resubscribe for the $15.00 fee.

Now I have to connect through the VZ access program as before.

anyone else get this problem or have a work around????

Guest cdouglass

So far this is working great. Thank you Octane!

One (newb) question that I think has not been asked:

When you allow the broadband access (dial#777) in the connections settings, won't this create a record that you are using the phone for tethering?

Guest TucanoRC
So far this is working great. Thank you Octane!

One (newb) question that I think has not been asked:

When you allow the broadband access (dial#777) in the connections settings, won't this create a record that you are using the phone for tethering?

it is the same as you just going out looking at the web through the browser.... there is a not a VZW finger that comes out and says " HERE! HERE! HERE! He is using this app to tether...." To them, it looks as if you are just making a connection to Access the web.

TucanoRC

Guest TucanoRC

This morning I had NO problem getting a internet connection however VERIZON had some how taken over my Internet.

All I could get was a subscribe to there tethering program page for the $15.00 which I had canceled yesterday afternoon.

The only way I could see to get my net back was to click and resubscribe for the $15.00 fee.

I have not heard of this happening before.... What was the steps you took to install these applications? There must be something that was missed...

TucanoRC

I have not heard of this happening before.... What was the steps you took to install these applications? There must be something that was missed...

TucanoRC

The step that I took that was not mentioned was to click on bluetooth through modem in the data connection folder instead of internal data call or modem through usb .

I had tried several time modem through usb but it would not connect. On a chance I click on bluetooth through medem and it worked great ,

I used it for several hours then shutdown for the evening.

This morning was when I got the red screen of death from Verizon

Thank You

Guest dwallersv

I'm guessing they disabled your data access altogether, not just a downgrade.

Were you able to browse the web with Opera on the phone? If you can, then the ICS/WifiRouter tethering solution will work. It looks no different to Verizon's network than when you use Opera on the phone, get POP email, stream some music or video into, say, CorePlayer, etc.

So, cancel that mofo again, then check online apps from your phone. If they don't work, they disabled your data access entirely, and if you've canceled right (i.e. tell them you wanted to downgrade to dataplan <X> [the unlimited data plan being the only practical one if you plan to tether]), then they screwed up -- call 'em and get them to fix it.

Guest xPosTech

Were you able to browse the web with Opera on the phone? If you can, then the ICS/WifiRouter tethering solution will work. It looks no different to Verizon's network than when you use Opera on the phone, get POP email, stream some music or video into, say, CorePlayer, etc.

So, cancel that mofo again, then check online apps from your phone. If they don't work, they disabled your data access entirely, and if you've canceled right (i.e. tell them you wanted to downgrade to dataplan <X> [the unlimited data plan being the only practical one if you plan to tether]), then they screwed up -- call 'em and get them to fix it.

I think it's cause he left VZ Access on the PC. When he was surfing the night before, the server hadn't been udated with his downgrade. The next morning, he tried connecting and VZ Access retrieved the block. Just a guess though, I don't use VZ Access.

Ted

sorry I was not more clear I was referring to my pc internet not the phone internet.The phone had no problems during this change I tried.

I know when I check my usage of data on the VZ account site they split tethering usage vs phone usage. Seems like they can tell the diffrence.

The phone date is listed as KB's the tethering is listed as MB's .

While I was able to use the work around. I tried the VZ access program and it could not find a device.

Maybe VZ found a work around for this work around??

Thank You

Guest dwallersv

Not sure why your using VZ access at all with WMWifiRouter. I don't know anything about VZaccess -- if you're running something on the PC that's part of VZaccess connectivity, that's your problem. Remove the program entirely from your PC. Then, connect to WMWifiRouter via regular windows wireless services.

The step that I took that was not mentioned was to click on bluetooth through modem in the data connection folder instead of internal data call or modem through usb .

I had tried several time modem through usb but it would not connect. On a chance I click on bluetooth through medem and it worked great ,

I used it for several hours then shutdown for the evening.

This morning was when I got the red screen of death from Verizon

Thank You

Do not use the "Data Connection" option on the phone. That is what's connecting you to the VZW plan. Leave it set on Internal Data Call and then run IntShrUI for USB or WMWifiRouter for wireless.

Edited by ShadyJ

Do not use the "Data Connection" option on the phone. That is what's connecting you to the VZW plan. Leave it set on Internal Data Call and then run IntShrUI for USB or WMWifiRouter for wireless.

Will try later great idea makes alot of sense

Thanks

Guest dwallersv

Whoah, important detail! I'm 100% sure that's your problem, kdkinc!

Guest alanhatcher
Will try later great idea makes alot of sense

Thanks

FYI yesterday I installed the internet share .cab thingy, connected Omnia to laptop (after making sure I had a data connection already going on the phone), ran Internet Share UI, selected "CONNECT" on the phone, and PRESTO relatively high speed internet on my PC. No tethering plan, just an unlimited data plan for the phone.

I upgraded from an XV6700 to the Omnia this week. I was running winmo 6.1 on the 6700 with ICS and I was sher nuff gonna be dissapointed if I could not get ICS up on the Omnia. I'm way too accustomed to NOT paying for tethering :(

Guest Mikew07

I have it all set up and my friend can connect with his macbook, by my laptop with windows vista will not connect to the adhoc network. Any solutions? Im not sure if it is my computer or a setting in WMWifiRouter.

Thanks

Guest keepthepeace
I have it all set up and my friend can connect with his macbook, by my laptop with windows vista will not connect to the adhoc network. Any solutions? Im not sure if it is my computer or a setting in WMWifiRouter.

Thanks

I installed and connected with windows XP and Vista, along with Ipod touch. no issues. go to "connect to" from the start menu and chose wmwifirouter. make sure your device says connected first. I turned off my home router and was connected just fine even after I reconnected my home router Iwas still on wmwifirouter.

Guest ShadyJ
This works awesome!!! Thank you.

But I have had problems after an hour or two while connected with wifi. It stops working and then then I cant connect anymore to the net with my PC. After a soft boot or two i can connect to the net through to usb, but no more wifi. And the wifi is unable to turn on anymore. After a hard boot and reinstall of everything it works good agin for a long while, but then just happened again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Brake.

I found an app over at XDA that took care of the uninstall problem. After installing WMWifi I was able to connect to other wifi networks fine, but after a few days I was unable to connect to any other wifis. I was able to delete the registry keys and the program files to restore my wifi connections, but it still showed up in Installed Programs. This app will remove all the reg keys and from the installed programs list but you have to manually delete the program files that were installed. Now that there is a way to uninstall without a hard reset, I'll play around with it a little more and see how it goes.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...;postcount=1138

Edited by ShadyJ

Guest Chainfire

Those of you who are running WMWifiRouter 1.20 or newer and are having issues are welcome in the WMWifiRouter channel on FreeNode: http://java.freenode.net/index.php?channel=wmwifirouter ... we are working on the Omnia issues right now.

I am not there full time nor is the chat screen always on my monitor, but I do generally check in every 15 minutes or so.

Guest josiah1983

ok i got the wmwifirouter program working on my omnia i910 but it seems like my phone is connecting to my wireless router so my laptop is connecting to my phone and my phone is connecting to my router to get an internet connection. is it suppose to work that way because if it is it really doesn't make since because i can just connect my laptop to the router directly. i thought that if i use wmwifirouter then i would be able to connect to my phone wirelessly and then my phone would get an internet connection using the verizon network. i did get internet working using my phone and laptop using a usb connection and then my laptop was connected to the internet using the verizon network. i just thought that i would tinker around with it.

Guest ScubaSteve76
Hello i dont know if anyone has had this problem but i read through all 9 pages and couldnt find it so i thought i would bring it up. I have installed the files mentioned from this thread and the wifi tethering works like a charm everytime i hadnt had any of the other common trouble. However although i did this a few weeks ago i just noticed a problem. Since i pay the $30 for the data plan from VZ for my omnia i havent noticed till now because i had no reason to not use VZ internet. But ever since installing these files it seems that i can no longer connect to any other wireless network and use it to give internet to my phone. This mostly hasnt been an issue because as i said i havent needed to not use VZ internet but i dont like that this software seems to interupt what the hardware is supposed to be used for. Is anyone else having this trouble? Can anyone else connect to other wireless networks despite having installed ICS and WMWifi?

Using the Task Manager, shut down WMWifiRouter. This will allow you to turn on the wifi to connect to a network without it trying to broadcast a network. I connect to a few different wifi networks (home, work, and hotspots) and when there are no networks available then I create my own using my Omnia.

Also I setup the WEP encryption outlined earlier in this thread to keep the wifi bums at bay. Works great!

Guest ScubaSteve76
ok i got the wmwifirouter program working on my omnia i910 but it seems like my phone is connecting to my wireless router so my laptop is connecting to my phone and my phone is connecting to my router to get an internet connection. is it suppose to work that way because if it is it really doesn't make since because i can just connect my laptop to the router directly. i thought that if i use wmwifirouter then i would be able to connect to my phone wirelessly and then my phone would get an internet connection using the verizon network. i did get internet working using my phone and laptop using a usb connection and then my laptop was connected to the internet using the verizon network. i just thought that i would tinker around with it.

Try turning off your home network wireless router and see if you still can connect to the internet via the phone.

Guest krmark

This post is for people who have been getting everything to 'connect' but still cannot resolve a web address or get a working internet connection even though the WMWifiRouter software on your Omnia AND the Wireless Network Connection on your laptop say CONNECTED.

GO TO: START MENU-->SETTINGS-->SYSTEM-->DATA CONNECTION

Make sure the option 'As the modem through USB' is selected.

I couldn't connect to the internet on my laptop even though everything said I was connected. I finally realized that I had the Data Connection set as 'Internal Data Call' the entire time.

Hope this helps everyone!

Edited by krmark

Guest ShadyJ
This post is for people who have been getting everything to 'connect' but still cannot resolve a web address or get a working internet connection even though the WMWifiRouter software on your Omnia AND the Wireless Network Connection on your laptop say CONNECTED.

GO TO: START MENU-->SETTINGS-->SYSTEM-->DATA CONNECTION

Make sure the option 'As the modem through USB' is selected.

I couldn't connect to the internet on my laptop even though everything said I was connected. I finally realized that I had the Data Connection set as 'Internal Data Call' the entire time.

Hope this helps everyone!

krmark, you must have something misconfigured. The only thing this does is enables Verizon's tethering. Do not attempt this at home.

Edited by ShadyJ