OMNIA or IPHONE

Guest dijpa

Guest lantony

they guy that started the topic is so dumb that he shouldn't deserve any reply. Anyway why did he buy a serious PPC like Omnia if he wanted a kid's toy like Iphone ?????

Edited by lantony

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
Recently I have been developing for Windows Mobile, specifically to write games for the upcoming Windows Mobile Appstores that are coming very soon. I can say without a doubt that the fault of the interface/slowness/crashing issues is mostly Microsoft's fault. Microsoft has basically neutered Windows Mobile to be "compatible" with existing hardware. "Compatible" means "things Microsoft thinks your phone can and can't do".

What that means is, well, lets take Compact Framework 1.0. Its a SUBSET of functions that allow you to program for pocketpc/winmo. In CF 2.0, they implemented Alpha Blending, basically the fadein/fadeout Transparency effect (such as in Vista). Why wasn't this in CF 1.0? Because Microsoft excluded it purposely! And not all graphics libraries were implemented in 2.0 or 3.5, for instance there is no GDI+, which is known to speed up graphics processing on standard windows apps using visual studio languages.

Pretty much if you want to do anything at least half the speed of its potential on WinMo, you need to use native code. Microsoft has put a layer on top of native code for "managed functions" thats supposed to make it easier to implement your code, but you know what? That managed code slows down graphics processing considerably. It makes things choppy.

As I understand it Apple has also disabled its SDK, but only to small time developers like you and me. You can't hardware render on the iphone unless you are authorized by Apple, like a licensed Apple developer. All graphics must be rendered in software. Definitely a minus, but at least there they didn't exclude functions from the library!

If there was anything Samsung could have done to make the Omnia better, the screen should be true color! It only displays like 65000 colors. Which is why the colors don't "pop" as much as the iphone does. When it comes to multi-touch, even if Microsoft implemented multi touch in its OS, the screen still needs to support it as well.

I could name a ton of things that the Omnia is better at than iphone, like the camera (with flash), video function, removable memory, replaceable battery, battery life, haptic feedback, etc. But hardware-wise, hands down the iphone's best quality is its screen. And a lot of people would take this one thing over all those other features that are better on Omnia and some wouldn't. Personally I would have been 50/50 between iphone and Omnia if I had AT&T. But I have Verizon, and for someone wanting to stay with Verizon, Omnia is the phone to get IMO.

I have to agree with you here because ms is so big therefore it takes big kick in the rear to get something going and then stop: corporate politics and job securites which really hurt its loyal customers. It was my first winmo PDA and it did disappoint me in terms of friendly UI (webpages are paintful to drag precisely, no not the optical mouse, and other apps, only a very few that is close to iPhone UI). HTC HD is close to iPhone based on reviews. So I guess we can blame both Samsung and ms for not working well together to significantly improve the resistive touch screen UI experience. Just keep our finger cross for the wm 7 but until then there will be a couple of better OS PDAs like our younger powerful brother Omnia HD or N97, or who knows a 3rd gen iPhone with all the Omnia goodies will be out of nowhere soon B) .

Guest lula1
I have to agree with you here because ms is so big therefore it takes big kick in the rear to get something going and then stop: corporate politics and job securites which really hurt its loyal customers. It was my first winmo PDA and it did disappoint me in terms of friendly UI (webpages are paintful to drag precisely, no not the optical mouse, and other apps, only a very few that is close to iPhone UI). HTC HD is close to iPhone based on reviews. So I guess we can blame both Samsung and ms for not working well together to significantly improve the resistive touch screen UI experience. Just keep our finger cross for the wm 7 but until then there will be a couple of better OS PDAs like our younger powerful brother Omnia HD or N97, or who knows a 3rd gen iPhone with all the Omnia goodies will be out of nowhere soon B) .

Omnia Vs Iphone

Camera 1-0

Video recording 2-0

Music 2-1

Games-Aplications 2-2

Design 2-3

Bussnes work 3-3

Gps 4-3

Storage memory 5-3

Touch screen 5-4

Batterry 6-4

Internet 6-5

Sms 7-5

Video call 8-5

FINEAL RESULT

Omnia 8 - 5 Ihpone

Iphone is better for gaming !!! but i choose OMNIA for smart bussienes work and GPS.

Guest Th3rmal
Omnia Vs Iphone

Camera 1-0

Video recording 2-0

Music 2-1

Games-Aplications 2-2

Design 2-3

Bussnes work 3-3

Gps 4-3

Storage memory 5-3

Touch screen 5-4

Batterry 6-4

Internet 6-5

Sms 7-5

Video call 8-5

FINEAL RESULT

Omnia 8 - 5 Ihpone

Iphone is better for gaming !!! but i choose OMNIA for smart bussienes work and GPS.

you forgot...

Customisation (in native stage) 9-5

Usability [ease of use] 9-6

Connectivity 10-6

ill try to think of some more B)

Guest bpivk
Omnia Vs Iphone

Camera 1-0

Video recording 2-0

Music 2-1

Games-Aplications 2-2

Design 2-3

Bussnes work 3-3

Gps 4-3

Storage memory 5-3

Touch screen 5-4

Batterry 6-4

Internet 6-5

Sms 7-5

Video call 8-5

FINEAL RESULT

Omnia 8 - 5 Ihpone

I disagree with internet points (no flash on Iphone) and on music point (you have to use itunes).

Guest Massive Attack
The only thing that the iphone has, that the Omnia doesn't have is the screen. We can talk smack about the iphone the whole day, but I think it's fair to admit that the Iphone's screen is a fine piece of hardware.

Me, I love my Omnia !!!

i agree about the screen.

iphone3g-stone.jpg

Guest Samuelw
Omnia Vs Iphone

Camera 1-0

Video recording 2-0

Music 2-1

Games-Aplications 2-2

Design 2-3

Bussnes work 3-3

Gps 4-3

Storage memory 5-3

Touch screen 5-4

Batterry 6-4

Internet 6-5

Sms 7-5

Video call 8-5

FINEAL RESULT

Omnia 8 - 5 Ihpone

The iPhone is not better for gaming imo

On the iPhone the BGP100 is useless, since it only supports Winmo. Next to that all the emulators (that can be used together with the BGP100) also need Winmo.

The Iphone just sucks big time

Edited by Samuelw

Guest Turborepu

I'm happy with my omnia and the interface works for me.. i have a custom wad theme, but since i only have a couple of months with it i really have no idea what i use the most yet so my layout is ever changing. I have none of the crashing or hanging bugs, on winmo. I love the fact that i can swap out sd cards and transfer stuff to the other ppc phones from work. Overall i like the flexibility of it.. Just like a windows pc, there is usually a way to change what you dont like or would like to improve, but YOU have to do it.. thats where lots of mac/iphone users differ.. They praise the software from their mac, but you can GET similar items on a pc, they just dont come with it out of the box due to their use in soo many different corners of the computing market(business, gaming, etc etc) this is basically a handheld version of the mac/pc debate lol.. despite the resolution and multi touch people will figure out ways to make their Win Mo experience suit their needs. You have to have patience and show some Common sense when playing with these phones. then you will be a happy camper.

Guest Adrynalyne
This phone isnt for everyone, I have the US I910 model and I wish I could send it back too. Mainly for the Poor Reception (I average 0-2 bars at the most. Which if any body has a tweak that can resolve this that would be great) but apparently samasung/verizon US forgot they were making a phone 1st and a PC second.

On another note: post like this are extremely important, people need unbasis information when it comes to buying cell phones. They need the Good and the bad as much as it hurts. I myself wish I read this post 3 months ago. I probaly wouldnt be kicking myself in the a$ hoping that this would work out.

Iagree with you about the I910 VZ, it's not that good. It's an Omnia, but not an Omnia for everybody, it's an Omnia for US. Too specific. Regarding the reception, it's carrier dependent, there is a tweak for WiFi, but not for the antenna. You can't even flash a rom to optimise your reception (DXIA5/IUB1)... And we, with the i900, are not that lucky in comparison with This

I know, the world is unfair, but he, this is one of perverse effects of the globalisation...

What a crock.

Anyway, I've been staying off the coast in Cali all this week, and my cell reception is garbage. I could blame the phone, but, why? Its the service. Verizon blows chunks out here, where ATT and T-Mobile apparently rule the roost.

Guest Turborepu

Where by the coast are you ? i live in los angeles and i have no problem with reception. I have a family member who is in the US Marines and he says out there by San Diego and around the base ATT is the better provider.

Guest Adrynalyne
Where by the coast are you ? i live in los angeles and i have no problem with reception. I have a family member who is in the US Marines and he says out there by San Diego and around the base ATT is the better provider.

Harbor City. I mostly have data problems. The voice signal, while poor, is acceptable.

Edited by Adrynalyne

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
What a crock.

Anyway, I've been staying off the coast in Cali all this week, and my cell reception is garbage. I could blame the phone, but, why? Its the service. Verizon blows chunks out here, where ATT and T-Mobile apparently rule the roost.

I've lived in both S. and N. California and VZ was very good in the NorCal about 6 yrs ago (dunno about now) then I switched to ATT (Cingular back then) and it sucked if close to the foothills sites, but it is good now in both regions, not sure about 3G though.

Guest lula1
I disagree with internet points (no flash on Iphone) and on music point (you have to use itunes).

But Safari is much better (speed performance) from Opera and Explorer together

Guest lula1
The iPhone is not better for gaming imo

On the iPhone the BGP100 is useless, since it only supports Winmo. Next to that all the emulators (that can be used together with the BGP100) also need Winmo.

The Iphone just sucks big time

The iPhone is not better for gaming ????????

Of course not iphone has multitouch screen and million games there isn't compare

All emulators works perfect on iphone except psx (In omnia has a bit more speed).

On games iphone is better from all mobile consoles except PSP and NDS there isn't compare with omnia in this field.

• 1 month later...
Guest Edzz83
I think i'm the one with a solution..i have both an iphone and an omnia :excl:

.... And i bet u sit there and call yourself, just so you can feel the awesome power of 2 pieces of fine hardware.

Guest theidoctor.org
Omnia ROCKS

Hate IPHONE I had iphone for week and two words Omnia is the best

With all new roms and apps

thats a little more than 2 words... i like the iphone, but not the network.... when they come to verizon.... whenever 4g is setup, i will get an iphone.

i just like the multimedia on the iphone much better than the omnia.... i mean a 3 foot dongle so i can listen to my music?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

if they made the 3.5 mm jack standard on the omnia, i wouldnt complain

• 2 weeks later...
Guest missing2

iphone really isnt that bad. i just whate when iphone ownser say stuff like...

"iphone is the best phone out right now"

why? because everybody has it?

i love my omnia becuase i can hack the f*** out of it.

"me too i can jailbrake mine"

which does what besides give it features omnia already has?

i dream of the day WinMo gets the Instant Termination of Iphone Users Within 100 Feet app...

Edited by missing2

Guest Omniaaddicted
why bother to install DXIA5? i would rather you go poke an apple's arse.

no need to let us know anything, we are not interested... shoo, shoo, please go away!

I AGREE!!!

hahahahha.....

man u must know first about Winmo...

so, enjoyed your Iphone, it's just for common user...

hahaha...

talk less, do more. okay

Guest yashgupta25

The biggest iPhone blooper ever, me and a few mates were having coffee and a friend of mine had music on the speaker on his iPhone. One of my other friends liked the song and asked him to transfer it. And guess what ............

NO BLUETOOTH :D

a couple of minutes later, the guy behind the cash counter transferred the same song from his 5 yr. old phone ..... As for me, it was another reason why I have the Omnia

Guest Mellenator
I think i'm the one with a solution..i have both an iphone and an omnia :D

I went the route of iPod and Omnia. Best of both worlds... I get 3G speeds instead of EDGE on my Omnia, and I share the connection to my iPod wirelessly. It's a wonderful setup, really. One phone bill, two devices on the internet, both doing what they do best.

Guest splatt91

dear oh dear oh dear .....

you mean the 2 mega pixel crappy camera which you cant send via mms ... and no video .. oh yeah thats miles better than a 5 mega pixel camera with slow mo video ...

er ... download one of the many many awesome new roms and all you have to do is connect a cable, click an exe and reset ... not exactly rocket science!

Windows Mobile is by definition NOT for people who want feature phones .... Its the same difference as buying a games console or a PC .. if you are willing to spend time and tweak it you will have an awesome box if not then you should stick with a console ... not as easy to do something stupid and break it.

if you want a phone that works and is pretty then get an iphone but the win mo o/s has allowed many many people on here to achieve quite impressive results.

the choice, as they say, is yours.

But me, I LOVE my omnia

GG

[/quote

you mean the 2 mega pixel crappy camera(ITS ACTUALY 1.3 AHAHHA) which you cant send via mms ... and no video .. oh yeah thats miles better than a 5 mega pixel camera with slow mo video ... IPHONE AHS NO BLUE TOOTH EITHER

OMNIA PRIDE AND TO EVERY ONE YOU CAN GET APP FOR OMNIA OPUT IN FREEWAREPOCKETPC.NET IPHONE APPS FOA WM

Guest Compuse

My my onmia stable working with manilla, SPB3 and winterface I make most Iphone users go drewl!

I don't even have to start bragging about the camera, gps software or the business application it has!

Shame that I haven't got a single game on it now, .. much install teeter and heroes just to get along a bit :/