How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

Guest shenster
i have mounted my new touch panel today...and it's amazing! :D its really close to the iphone and I love it!!!

thanks for the tip!

where did you purchase it from? and what colour is it? there are so many sellers on Ebay.. how do i know which seller has the new screen?

Guest lantony
wow I am amazed by lantony's youtube video.

the thing is, not only the touchscreen looks more responsive, your omnia seems to be way faster than mine.. is it because of the shell(today screen) u're using?

or is it just the amazing effect of the new touch screen???

lol sector got it too. i'm definitely ordering it :D

the new touch screen will only make your phone more sensitive with no use of nails or pen, if you want more speed, i would reccomend you to install .NET Framework 3.5 + Powertoys to force the v3.5 active :lol:

Edited by lantony

Guest Supadan

And we have another believer!

Took forever to get mine done because the 2 screws attached to the circuit board were shaved so I had to get the screws out at a watch repairing shop... :D

Anywho, took me about an hour and almost crapped my pants when nothing came up on the screen but i could hear the music. I took it apart (lightly screwed in the circuit board in case id have to remove it again) and made sure everything was okay. I remember reading try soft resetting so I just put it all back together and turned it back on and BOOM! Perfectooooooooo!!

Thank you very much for the suggestions lantony

TIP: When removing your screen, make sure the glue doesnt get onto the LCD...takes forever to get the stupid thing off

Guest whitj

well, I just bought one from Wholesaleandy as well, so wish me luck!!

Also, have we gotten confirmation that everything works right for Verizon i910 models? I certainly hope so...

Guest Tim-H

I'm not sure why it wouldnt work but there will be a window in the upper right hand corner where ours doesnt have the front camera.

Guest whitj

I'm so excited! Question for all who have installed a new one:

Do you now use the pads of your thumbs to text/email, or still thumb nails. I use SPB keyboard, but even in the big keyboard mode it's a pain in the a$$ to get any response out of any keys without jamming with my thumbnails.

Guest whitj

Sorry for double post, just thought of another question. Anyone put Invisible shield on the new panel yet? if so, what are the results? still able to smoothly pan and input with soft touches? I loved invisible shield for my old Dare, but there's no way I would put it on my omnia if it's going to take me back to the unresponsive hell I'm in right now...

Thanks!

Guest ccheong68

Just installed the news Touch Screen Digitizer from wholesaleandy as recommended. The sensitivity has definitely improved greatly.

However the disassembly of the phone is a scary one, even with the service manual. Firstly, you will need extra screw driver as the screws inside the phone are smaller in size and you will also need a pincers to take out the parts. Secondly the manual only teach you which part to take off but never really show how to take individual part off, so you need to be very careful because you dont have to break any parts inside the phone.

Guest 3shirts
Just installed the news Touch Screen Digitizer from wholesaleandy as recommended. The sensitivity has definitely improved greatly.

However the disassembly of the phone is a scary one, even with the service manual. Firstly, you will need extra screw driver as the screws inside the phone are smaller in size and you will also need a pincers to take out the parts. Secondly the manual only teach you which part to take off but never really show how to take individual part off, so you need to be very careful because you dont have to break any parts inside the phone.

Did you not use this guide?

http://www.formymobile.co.uk/omniadisassembly.php

I don't think I'd have attempted it without that. Actually I need to open mine up again cos there is some dust in it which I want to get rid of and then reseal it and pop a screen protector on. I might do a video and stick it on YouTube, might help a few people I suppose

Guest Supadan

Yeah its definitely a challenge...use the UK manual.

I used the digitizer with a invisishield on and it worked fine. However, when i reapplied it bubbles came up and it was real nasty so i jus used my warranty and got a new one and am currently using the protector provided with the digitizer and its really slippery almost too slippery. As for now, working GREATTTTT

Thumbpads...finger nails only for the tiny things

Guest mementomori
the new touch screen will only make your phone more sensitive with no use of nails or pen, if you want more speed, i would reccomend you to install .NET Framework 3.5 + Powertoys to force the v3.5 active :D

can you tell a little more n the powertoy..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en are you talking about this? and what should i do to install?

tnx

Guest ccheong68
Did you not use this guide?

http://www.formymobile.co.uk/omniadisassembly.php

I don't think I'd have attempted it without that. Actually I need to open mine up again cos there is some dust in it which I want to get rid of and then reseal it and pop a screen protector on. I might do a video and stick it on YouTube, might help a few people I suppose

Yup, I think I have miss this guide. I based on Service Manual to replace the touch screen and luckily everything went well. :lol: And now I have a phone with great touch screen. :D

Guest whitj

My speaker busted the other day on my Omnia, so I have a new(probably refurbished) Omnia on its way tomorrow. What do you think the chances are that it has a new touch panel installed already? Does anyone know the cut-off date when they started implementing them?

Guest thescope

Ok, SOLD. I'll get me a new Touch layer ASAP.

The vids on YouTube are to much, I can't belive the Touch can be so resposive.

Guest Master_Axe

Man, its impossible to tell which is the good and which is the bad touchscreen. I'm assuming all you who got the new touchscreen could *never* use your fingers before?

Guest rigor.m
Man, its impossible to tell which is the good and which is the bad touchscreen. I'm assuming all you who got the new touchscreen could *never* use your fingers before?

yes a really bad touchscreen means you cannot type a text or pan the screen without touching it with the fingernail or stylus...(edit: or pressing your finger so hard that the LCD ripples)

Edited by rigor.m

Guest kav

i personally dont really see a difference between the touchscreens on the videos. i mean with the custom roms, the omnia will be as fast and as responsive u can get it to be, but thats just me.

Guest Lunar-Eclipse
i personally dont really see a difference between the touchscreens on the videos. i mean with the custom roms, the omnia will be as fast and as responsive u can get it to be, but thats just me.

Then you must be one of the lucky few with the new digitizer. Because I'm on my fourth custom ROM and the touch screen is still crap compared to the responsiveness in those videos. But my new one is on the way. :D

Guest lantony

did u read the info in the videos i posted in the first page ? they are not custom roms but official Samsung roms :D

Anyway it's difficult to see the difference from the videos, you should touch to feel it, and it's a huge difference believe me !!!!! (at least in my case)

Edited by lantony

Guest whitj

I agree, just got a refurbished(eeew) omnia from verizon today, and it must have the new digitizer on it because MAN OH MAN it's a whole new phone now! Sad part about the whole story is that I have a digitizer in the mail coming from wholesaleandy that I bought before I knew my phone was defective and eligible for replacement... soooo:

Anyone want to cut a deal on a new digitizer? I don't think I will be able to get a refund, but I'll be willing to pay the shipping fee to send it wherever you guys are. I'm in Jacksonville, FL. PM me if you're interested!