How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

Guest Michael122w
Man, its impossible to tell which is the good and which is the bad touchscreen. I'm assuming all you who got the new touchscreen could *never* use your fingers before?

Before I upgraded, I would press (very) hard, swipe left to right on the screen with my finger an nothing would happen. I was not after an iphone like experience - just acceptable. I wish I had taken a video of the before and after - as there would be not doubt about the difference.

I am not sure that I have a super touch screen now - but it was a huge leap forward from the original (which I now think was defective and am still cranky with Samsung)

Guest shenster

im just about to purchase a new screen. but im looking for a black screen.. wholesaleandy mailed me and said that the one he has is silver.. can anyone recommend me a seller with a new touchscreen thats black... im looking for the black.

Guest shenster
I have done it!

Well after being scared to death of doing it myself I gained the confidence this morning and assembled the new touchscreen I've ordered from wholesaleandy on ebay.

OMG! it's so badword sensitive! exactly like the new screens (my friend has a brand new Omnia so I've compared it to his) and easily comparable to iphone.

Guys, whoever has an old screen must do this! I feel like a kid who has a brand new and shiny toy! :D ))))

btw, I have received the black screen not bronze or gray.

which buyer did u purchase it from? i want theblack one as well

Guest Omniaaddicted

can we ask the customer service, to do this?

i'm not confidence do this by my self..

everybody in here said... "it's like Iphone...very sensitive"

it's true...?

Guest ccheong68
can we ask the customer service, to do this?

i'm not confidence do this by my self..

everybody in here said... "it's like Iphone...very sensitive"

it's true...?

Cant say that It's like Iphone... But it's much much better after I upgraded...

You can check whether Samsung customer service will replace for you..

If not, you just fellow the guide, just be careful and you will be fine..

Guest eufouria

Just finished the installation on my i910 Verizon, the screen definitely is a great improvement, hitting the "x" and "ok" buttons with my thumb is great, I'll have to break the habit of using my fingernail!

A warning for fellow Verizon Omnieers: 

I used a combination of these guides;

http://download199.mediafire.com/hgudbfh2d...vice_manual.pdf 

http://www.formymobile.co.uk/omniadisassembly.php

and neither are exactly like disassembling the Verizon Omnia, there is not GPS wire, and the removal of the bezel is quite different as it is two pieces opposed to one, so I would not recommend this as a first project for anyone who does not have some experience with dissecting iPods, cell phones, etc.

I received a grey screen from Wholesale Andy’s which I was not too happy about, but if anyone would like to send me a black one I would gladly post a walkthrough with photos for the Verizon 910. 

Thanks to everyone who suggested this, it was fun and worth it!

Guest jirka25

Hi guys, i have some big trouble with disasebled my phone. I don know how unpluged right connector from PCB.

I have some ideas, but all looks like bad way :D

1st idea - drag on right side? IMAGE 1

2nd way - drag this thing on left side? IMAGE 2

Can you somenone help me pls?

Guest rigor.m
Hi guys, i have some big trouble with disasebled my phone. I don know how unpluged right connector from PCB.

I have some ideas, but all looks like bad way :D

1st idea - drag on right side? IMAGE 1

2nd way - drag this thing on left side? IMAGE 2

Can you somenone help me pls?

carefully lift up the black plastic thing and it will release the ribbon

Guest Too-Sexy

Changed my panel today. Unbelievable improvement!

Anyone who is scared in doing this,dont be! The only problem i found was unscrewing the first 4 screws.. they were tight as hell, and i almost melt them with my screw driver!

Good luck to everyone who is doing it!

Guest thescope

Please, any one who has the BLACK screen can you recommend a seller? PLEASE!

Every one on ebay tells me that they only have the grey one...

Guest jirka25

THX rigor.m, i am done it :D ITS SO COOL!! But i was very scary!

But i have question. Between LCD and Touch panel it was many stick and if i unsticked touch panel, 90% stick gone come away with old touch panel. And If i place to new touch panel, he stay together witch LCD too little. I have fear. In time may be get betwen LCD and touch panel some dust or unstick by itself?

Anyway benefit of this panel is great. no 80%, no 90% but 100% improved touch!

THX for this tip!

Guest Too-Sexy
THX rigor.m, i am done it :D ITS SO COOL!! But i was very scary!

But i have question. Between LCD and Touch panel it was many stick and if i unsticked touch panel, 90% stick gone come away with old touch panel. And If i place to new touch panel, he stay together witch LCD too little. I have fear. In time may be get betwen LCD and touch panel some dust or unstick by itself?

Anyway benefit of this panel is great. no 80%, no 90% but 100% improved touch!

THX for this tip!

Dont worry man. I think its gonna hold. I didint add any glue and it stays in place .

After being continuously annoyed with the touch screen of my omnia, and reading some comments on this thread, I decided to do the lcd test. All seemed well until I started testing the left side of the screen. As you'll see in the picture below, there is a curved patter on the left even though i was pressing straight down on the left, practically along the black line around the screen with a sharp point.

Of course I'd noticed that the left side would never register buttons properly when typing on the omnia but...this is ridiculous :|

Anyway, my question is, as it seems obvious that its NOT a software/firmware issue (tried mutliple roms and same result), is it likely that its a problem specific to the touch digitizer? And as such, would the touch panels that you guys are talking about fix the problem? ( i believe i have the old one after seeing the youtube video of the new touch panel)

Any guidance right now would be appreciated, because I honestly feel like tossing the phone into the nearest bin :D

Same issue here, new digitizer ordered... I'll report as soon as it arrives...

Guest thescope
Dont worry man. I think its gonna hold. I didint add any glue and it stays in place .

I am still searching for a store with the BLACK digitizer (a what's-ya-call-it thing-a-magig) touch screen. but anywyz if its plastic on plastic sand and dust can get in if there is no substance to block it out so might be worth trying to add some kind of, maybe no sticky but a substance that would just block out dust and sand..

Guest sector

hey i got my screen but the screws are really tight... and it seems if i keep pushing them i will destroy the head.

any ideas? im getting really pissed with this and i want to take fix it :D

Guest rigor.m

Hmm Sector I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties from the start... just take it slow and try to loosen them without loosing grip on the screw head... sometimes it helps to try and "tighten" first ( turn the screw in the opposite direction a bit first , then unscrew )... if nothing works a clock repair shop may be able to help with the screws...

and jirka25 really nice vid..:D

Guest Too-Sexy
Hmm Sector I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties from the start... just take it slow and try to loosen them without loosing grip on the screw head... sometimes it helps to try and "tighten" first ( turn the screw in the opposite direction a bit first , then unscrew )... if nothing works a clock repair shop may be able to help with the screws...

and jirka25 really nice vid..:D

+1

I did that because i experienced the same problem with sector..

Guest DISCODV

Ive just replaced my screen with a new one from wholesaleandy. Took me about an hour but I took my time. Turned on the the phone and al I can say is WOW, what a big difference. The omnia is now a perfect phone for me!!!

Guest Lunar-Eclipse

I have joined the ranks of the brave few... :lol: I just installed the new digitizer from wholesaleandy (silver BTW) and the difference is absolutely night and day. As others have said, it feels like an entirely new phone. I don't have to mash/poke/prod or otherwise abuse the screen to get it to register my touches. It also seems incredibly more accurate. When I touch the X it actually registers. The same when I touch the down/up scroll arrows. Typing on the keyboard (landscape mode) is also much more smooth and accurate. Plus I don't have to use my fingernails. I can actually use my fingers!!! :D

Guest wickedjinx

ok this sucks, i was doing well and accidentally tear the ribbon from the LCD!! i was watching this video where he uses a thread to remove the LCD ribbon from the main board. Now does anyone know if i have to buy a NEW LCD panel wihch costs 70$ or do samsung have a ribbon spare for the lcd?

Guest rigor.m

If the tear is to the end of the ribbon you could ( in theory ) try to make new connector by carefully peeling the insulator off the wires... if the tear is near the lcd you need a new lcd...