How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

Guest vlodek

I purchased Omnia in August 2008 in Thailand, Bangkok.

Before few days i had a chance to pass thru Bangkok

and went to Samsung care. Told them about the touch screen problems

and they replaced the touch screen in one hour, covered by warranty. Now can

operate the Omnia via finger not only via nail.

Amazing how bad touch screen Samsung released in July - August 2008 and how

simple is the fix.

Guest djtosh

i ordered from wholesaleandy on 29 april and never received it had to get a refund but i really want 1 where else can i order from and get the newer one?

Guest Dobbs

Finally got my new screen from Wholesaleandy, fitted it this morning no problems at all. Has made a big improvement to the phone. My Omnia was purchased in October 2008 when they were first released from T-Mobile. Also running the latest Sector WM6.5 rom and the phone is now feeling like a decent WM phone.

Guest Cartol

Has anybody tried the new digitizer with a film screen protector? Is it still as sensitive as before or do you still need nail tapping?

Guest SodaBoy

got mine from wholesaleandy - ordered 3 and all of them came silver - i don't really care.

shipping time was 5 working days from hong kong to slovakia - i have no idea how that happened but i ordered on sunday - and it was here on friday.

picked up from the post office only today - used the official samsung manual - the disassembly is well explained - although you can bypass a few steps that I only realised afterwards.

the disassembly is really easy - even the non technical among you should try it.

took me about half hour - i was watching the french open meanwhile so perhaps with concentration it would take about 15 minutes. i can tell you now that the next digitizer will take me about 5 minutes total because i know exactly what to do and its simple.

THE CHANGE IS AMAZING. Actually I ordered the digitizer because my screen was scratched to hell - i don't use the protective film so when i found out you can actually change the screen I ordered 3.

But wow - what a change in responsiveness... Imagine the lightest touch with your finger tip... now press just a tiny bit more and that is what this digitizer registers... it is amazing compared to the old "hard tap" one.

To the guy who wrote about the comment concerning protective film... I don't know - but I now have 2 extra digitizers and I will use them whenever this one gets scratched... the cost of one is really small... and it pays off for me.

Thank you for the heads up!

Guest firdausyusoff
got mine from wholesaleandy - ordered 3 and all of them came silver - i don't really care.

shipping time was 5 working days from hong kong to slovakia - i have no idea how that happened but i ordered on sunday - and it was here on friday.

picked up from the post office only today - used the official samsung manual - the disassembly is well explained - although you can bypass a few steps that I only realised afterwards.

the disassembly is really easy - even the non technical among you should try it.

took me about half hour - i was watching the french open meanwhile so perhaps with concentration it would take about 15 minutes. i can tell you now that the next digitizer will take me about 5 minutes total because i know exactly what to do and its simple.

THE CHANGE IS AMAZING. Actually I ordered the digitizer because my screen was scratched to hell - i don't use the protective film so when i found out you can actually change the screen I ordered 3.

But wow - what a change in responsiveness... Imagine the lightest touch with your finger tip... now press just a tiny bit more and that is what this digitizer registers... it is amazing compared to the old "hard tap" one.

To the guy who wrote about the comment concerning protective film... I don't know - but I now have 2 extra digitizers and I will use them whenever this one gets scratched... the cost of one is really small... and it pays off for me.

Thank you for the heads up!

Hi,

i just received mine.

its black as per order.

it took a week++ to get the item.ship from hongkong to Malaysia.

i will assemble the new digitizer tonight.

wait for the result.

Guest firdausyusoff

hahaha.

finally, after half an hour, i manage to replace the digitizer.

the step is easy to follow. and can skip a few step.

i refer to here.

you can skip step from peeling the imei sticker till lifting camera assembly.

only that,do give extra pressure downward when 1st time unscrew.

since the screw may easily spoil. i manage to unscrew properly.

anyway, after comparing the new digitizer i finally realize the one that i bought is not really black.

its look black while still with the plastic shield.

its bronze..even the seller say it was black.but it still fine to me..

the new one got extra "(G)" with red dot marking.

while the original has black dot. withour "(G)" at the end of the serial no.

the sensitivity is a lot better from the old one.

i never try the sensitivity without the screen protector.

since i immediately stick a screen protector to secure the new digitizer.

i can simply use my thumb on all icon and the pressure is less.

very happy that i able to replace it myself...

hahahaha

i order it from here.

the cheapest i think.

Guest GodsGift

Hey guys, I ordered mine from wholesaleandy and am anxiously waiting.

It has been mentioned that some of the disassembly steps are unnecessary.

Other than the Samsung guide and the one in Italian in the first post .. is there a guide which misses out the unnecessary steps and is in English?

ta thanks muchly

GG

Guest SodaBoy

DISASSEMBLY GUIDE (WITH REFERENCE TO THE ORIGINAL SAMSUNG GUIDE)

The steps you need from the official Samsung guide are as follows (the numbering I use below refers to the numbering as used in the official Samsung disassembly guide)

1. Follow this step.

2.3.4 Use the plastic tool you get with your new digitizer to just wiggle the back of the phone away from the main console - the arrows are a little misleading because it seems as if you have to "push" in the direction indicated - not so - just wiggle the tool until the back pops out... move the plastic tool all the way around the edges and this step will be easy and effortless... don't force it.

5. Follow this step.

6. Follow this step. I suggest you don't use tweezers but rather the plastic tool you receive with your digitizer... just find the little groove where the cap of the GPS connector meets the connection, and with the edge of the plastic tool pop the cap up (I found the metal tweezers to be far more "agressive" than the plastic tool which in my opinion causes fewer mistakes and is less prone to damaging the phone).

7. Follow this step - just lift the connection again with the plastic tool.

8. Here the diagram is not 100% clear for non-techical people - you need to first lift the little black flap that the tweezers are touching on the picture to release the connection. you can do this again with the plastic tool - just insert it under the black flap and lift upwards. Once up - the connector tape just slips out with a gentle pull.

9. This point confused me because there was a big CAUTION sign - but there is really nothing to it - you just need to lift the whole part you unscrewed in point 5 - but be careful because it is still connected from the underneath to the actual digitizer and the optical joystick - so what you will actually do here is rotate the whole black square component you unscrewed in point 5 clockwise until it is upside down and you can proceed to step 10.

10. Again there is a flap here like in point 8 - so you need to release it to remove the digitizer striip.

11. This is a "cap" type of connector similar to one in step 7. Just pop it off with the plastic tool.

12. THIS STEP IS UNNECESSARY - wish someone told me this... nothing to do with the digitizer...

13. AGAIN UNNECESSARY STEP - avoid it because I wasn't able to perform it and I could have damaged something because the thing won't budge - no need to do this.

14. Follow this step - unscrew the last two screws to release the silver face bumper.

15.16. These two steps are easy - the components just come off once you release the screws in step 14.

17. UNNECESSARY STEP - I almost messed up the keys with this one... until I realised I was one step away and this was completely unnecessary.

18. LAST STEP - basically you need to remove your digitizer from the LCD. Just take your plastic tool and start by jamming the tool like a crowbar at the edge beteween the digitizer and the LCD (denoted by the red circle in the samsung picture for this step)... wiggle the tool in a crowbar like motion to release the glue... and slowly start sliding the tool around and moving it up-down to release the glue all around the phone... once you have loosened the glue - just take your fingers and release the old digitizer from the lcd... REAL CAUTION... I ALSO TOOK OFF THE LITTLE EAR SPEAKER METAL MESH that was stuck to the digitizer - I only later realized that this is not part of the digitizer and that I need to take it off the old digitizer and reposition it back on the LCD - if I had put on the new digitizer before realizing this I would have had to take it off... or accept the fact that the phone wouldn't have the silver mesh anymore.

Last step is to apply the new digitizer - just peal off all the protective tape and the glue protector off the back - and carefully place the new digitizer on top of the LCD - How do you know where exactly to put it on before the glue sticks? - no problem - there are little grooves on the edges of the LCD that ensure your digitizer settles in the right spot - just slowly guide it there before pressing down to properly glue the digitizer to the LCD...

LASTLY - JUST GO IN REVERSE ORDER TO PUT THE PHONE BACK TOGETHER... hope this helps...

and perhaps if someone finds it useful - just pop it into the first post so people find it easily...

This all sounds confusing - but trust me it will be a breeze! ;-)

Guest kaene

i got mine this morning and i already changed it, i bought it from a local dealer in China from ADVERTISING SPAM.

about the code, both, the old and the new one are the same, with the red dot, so this is not useful to know whether you have new or old one.

the sensibility, better than my expectations, much better, now i don't have to say to my gf "you should use your nail, and press a little bit stronger" <_<

Guest Vtecbros

So, I finally received my omnia a few days ago. I was impress with the software. My first thing was getting it flashed with a wm 6.5 rom. That worked out fine (I flashed it with Vista too). I did some tweaks to make the screen more accurate on touch. And that did help. I have to use my nail every once in a while and its kind of annoying. I think I do have the old digitizer touch panel. So, I am deciding to buy the new digitizer from eBay (they are cheap anyway) and give that a try to see if any improvement are made.

I bought the phone used from some guy on eBay and he bought it in March so i just hope when i get the new digitizer touch panel that it is the new one because i am expecting that better responsive touch panel that everyone is talking about in this forum.

Guest DavidC

Mine has just arrived <_< It's a silver one rather than black, which is a bit of a shame but it's not really important. I'll be fitting it tonight and I'll report back asap.

:) B) :D

Guest OffGrid

1st, mad props to sodaboy for his guide, it really helped! sticky that post!

2nd for all i910 VZW users, follow sodaboy's guide with the samsung guide

but be aware a few things are different than the i900 (i thought i saw this somewhere else but couldnt find the post)

steps 2-4 the bottom of the silver casing is separate from the rest, 2 pieces in total, also the silver border is UNDER the left button in step 17 (not shown in pic) so you have to CAREFULLY peel the tape off the back of the button and keep the button attached to the frame!

THERE IS NO GPS CONNECTION to deal with

and for step 10 the release for the connection is on TOP of the connection its the lil darker colored piece

an I never fully removed the LCD out of the frame, i just pryed the touch screen off per instructions via SodaBoy

i replaced mine in about 30 mins, it really isnt as bad as I thought (although the seller didnt send me the correct screw driver, or both plastic pryers)

and it really is more sensitive! if your on the fence i910 users, dont be!

Edited by OffGrid

Guest flipkid

I just changed the screen on my Verizon i910. It works SOOOOO much better. I bought it for $15.50 and ordered the screen from EBay User: njzhonghua968 . <_< :) B) :D :P :D :D ;)

Guest DavidC

Mine's fitted and is a great improvement. The only tricky part it separating the old panel from the rest of the phone as the adhesive was quite good at it's job.

I've put a fresh screen protector on the new panel, but I've managed to get dust trapped between the protector and the screen <_<

Guest Peew971
Just mounted my new touch panel and its perfect !!!!!

its extremly sensative and its worth every penny !!! <_<

I received a black digitizer :) orderd it on ebay from easyworldwidetrading NOT from wholesaleandy.

Same here, got it from easyworldwidetrading and it's black. I was a bit skeptical but it's really a new experience, iphone like. B)

Guest GodsGift

WOWOOOWEEEWAAAAA

Am a VERY happy bunny.

Got my digitizer yest about 1500 and couldnt wait to get home so started the process at my desk...

split the pc screen with sodaboys guide (VERY helpful) and the samsung one ...

took me about 40 mins as I wanted to take it slow and ensure no dust got in ....

was nervy but putting it back together was a breeze.

Hesitantly switched it back on ....

like has been said before, its like a new phone then sensitivity is the mutts nutts so good.

Am soooooooooooooooooo pleased I listened to you lot.

ta thanks.

GG

EDIT - only thing is now I gotta find some extra finger friendly apps, like sms etc.

Edited by GodsGift

Guest Master_Axe

omg here i was thinking whether or not i had the new digitizer, LOL.

The new and old one are, in my case, visually identical. Identical code, both had a red dot.

I used this guide, like everyone else, I guess.

Follow the steps. You can leave the camera in, the keys in, and the screen in- you can peel off the digitizer with the screen still in the phone.

GL with this project, its quick =). If you have ever felt that you wanted more sensitivity, get a new digitizer.

Guest kedw
omg here i was thinking whether or not i had the new digitizer, LOL.

The new and old one are, in my case, visually identical. Identical code, both had a red dot.

I used this guide, like everyone else, I guess.

Follow the steps. You can leave the camera in, the keys in, and the screen in- you can peel off the digitizer with the screen still in the phone.

GL with this project, its quick =). If you have ever felt that you wanted more sensitivity, get a new digitizer.

I also followed that guide :D (my original touch display was faulty ;) ) but stupid me ordered 2 (one from ebay and from a store) so now I got one spare so I will need to sell it somewhere I guess.

Guest Rick4

Hi All!

I'm newbie here, but not rookie. I have a PDF file, it'a Samsung service manual for Omnia, Here is: http://data.hu/get/1487730/SamsungOmniaSer...Manual.pdf.html

In this file can You see Omnia assembly, and disassembly with more pictures, step by step. And rom Update procedure, many more infos. Enjoy it!

Rick4 from Hungary

Edited by Rick4

Guest chunks01

Hi people, first post...

After reading all 20 pages of this thread, I thought, why the hell not, might as well try.

This was my first time opening up any phones so I was a bit nervous about doing it.

I got stuck a bit at 2 points, the first was at removing the circuit board, as there was some extra glue I wasn't expecting.

The second point was removing the old touch panel, but after working it with the tool for a good 5 minutes, I got it off without any damage.

Reassembly went smoothly, and it all worked first go.

Performance wise, the new panel is at least twice as good as the old one. I can actually use my thumb now, and S2U2 is just great to use.

To all those people saying it's iPhone like, it's not. I have an iPod touch, which is MUCH more sensitive due to the capacitive screen.

Though a couple of major pros of having the resistive screen, is that when using a hard object, given that it's calibrated accurately, is MUCH more accurate.

So all in all:

I was very happy with the new touch panel, well worth the effort and money.

Shipment time: about a week

Build time (open and close): about an hour.

Anyone who is considering doing this, I recommend you do it. It's definitely worth it.

Guest eufouria

I bought my second digitizer from techtoys888 on eBay, before purchasing I e-mailed them asking if it was a black one two weeks later a silver one showed up on my doorstep...

In talks with them about a refund, now have to find someone that is actually selling a black one.