How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

Guest thescope
I bought my second digitizer from techtoys888 on eBay, before purchasing I e-mailed them asking if it was a black one two weeks later a silver one showed up on my doorstep...

In talks with them about a refund, now have to find someone that is actually selling a black one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Touch-Screen-...%3A1%7C294%3A30

Edited by thescope

Guest jaewon223

i took the plunge. the entire process took about 30-40 min. best advice i can give is to just take it slowly and use a bright light. was definitely worth it, it's 500% more responsive with just pads of my fingers!! if you are not sure whether your digitizer is the non-responsive vs. the newer responsive than you probably have the older one that's less responsive. don't hesitate!

Guest lantony

If anybody is interested, i have bought a new supertouch (black) so i am going to sell the other supertouch+brando ultraclear (standard colour, the one used in the videos at the first page) for 15euros (shipping in Italy).

Guest snapper69996

i purchased a new omnia 2 weeks in australia. would this have this new touch panel on it? is there anyway to know by looking at serial number of the phone or anything? the screen seems pretty responsive but this is the only touch phobe ive ever had or used so i cant compare to any other phone.

ive read the whole thread and tried to find where the post on how to tell if you have a new type or not but i cant seem to find the post.

Guest badman08
i purchased a new omnia 2 weeks in australia. would this have this new touch panel on it? is there anyway to know by looking at serial number of the phone or anything? the screen seems pretty responsive but this is the only touch phobe ive ever had or used so i cant compare to any other phone.

ive read the whole thread and tried to find where the post on how to tell if you have a new type or not but i cant seem to find the post.

and again, when you have to use your nail or pen, than you have the old one. When a slight finger touch is enough, than you have already the new one.

Guest Cartol

Guys, I've tried the new digitizer that i received this morning. The surgery took almost 20 minutes but I have to say it was worth it!!

The only thing i regretted about that phone now is gone!!! Just skimming over the screen is enough and it works great with the protecting film too. I bought mine from wholesaleandy and it's black with a red dot next to the serial number.

Guest rigor.m
May I know is this digitizer the screen layer we touch or write on it?

i.e. the layer we use a screen protector?

Yes it's the part of the phone that you directly touch with your finger / stylus, the part that gets scratched ( if you do not have a protecting film applied of course ). 

Guest giant25

Do I really have to buy from Hong Kong? I found one in California, USA where I live. Anyone else tried seller bureenz? Here's the link, I'm thinking of doing it, might save a week or more in shipping time. Let me know what you guys think. I asked the seller if it was black like the pic, still waiting to hear...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-Omnia-SGH-i900...3A1%7C294%3A100

Guest SRT40

Just to add my 2p...

Ive had my phone since Oct 08 and i definitely had a rubbish digitizer, but had gradually got used to it and tolerated it. Replaced it yesterday and its like a new phone, im almost having to relearn how to use it. My old one had a dead patch in middle that required significant pressure to register and when testing with the stylus the accuracy of the input on the screen varied greatly as i moved around the screen, no amount of reg editing or screen calibration would improove it... but now...?

Well, its uber responsive, accurate and now is just a pleasure to use, thumbs and fingers are all i need. Sensitivity wise I know what capacitive screens are like from having an Samsung F700 and this is very very nearly the same experience. Replacement was easy using the guides in this thread but would recommend a decent screwdriver, not the ones that come with the part, as they easily round off the screw heads.

I got my one from ebay trader 'easyworldwidetrading' after checking it was a black one and a black one arrived. So overall very pleased, using it is just a breeze (almost feels like a newer model of phone :s), the scratch i managed to put in it is gone, the vodafone branding is gone and i like the darker look of the black surround. In conclusion, if you have a poor digitizer, change it now, i wish id done it ages ago....

Guest giant25

Well, I took a chance and ordered from the CA, USA seller I mentioned above. I may even get it this week, we'll see. $21.95 US with free US shipping. The seller said the listing was for a black digitizer so I took the chance. I'll let you all know how it works on my VZW i910. I'd love to see an i910 guide (I know the other guides "almost work" and just need a few changes) for anyone out there listening...

Guest giant25

An interesting twist. I stopped by the Verizon store and showed them my poor touchscreen (this the day after I ordered a new digitizer) and the slow answering response. They're going to send me another phone as part of my one year warranty. If this new phone (which could be a refurb, so we'll see) has the new touch screen, I'm in business! Then I'll just have to figure out what to do with the digitizer I just ordered. Either keep it in case, or sell it to someone on here interested. I'll keep you posted.

Guest leoms17

Hi! I bought from easyworldwidetrading at ebay.co.uk last week. I received the black touch panel with no serial number printed on the ribbon.

Followed instructions posted here (included those that tell you to NOT remove the camera or touchpad) and can say it works like a charm! I play guitar and have long fingernails so I haven't really missed the touch response, but this takes everything to a whole new level! Really worth the try for those who hesitate! Now even my wife thinks she wants a touch phone suddenly!

In my case I have to say that removing the cover after the four screws was a bit tricky, the cover was stuck somewhere near the SIM card slot, but I managed to remove it without breaking anything. Also the button circuits for camera and volume were stuck a bit and I had to press them upwards with the plastic tool... a moment of stress there, but I managed it and the circuit board finally came out. I recommend using latex gloves when handling the electronics and also the camera lens.

Everything else went really smooth. Glad not to see the Vodafone logo anymore!

Nice post!!

Guest jonboyuk

Just a little side note for anybody who is going to change theirs and haven't already.

When you take off the little ear-mesh piece from the old digitizer and stick it on the new one, MAKE sure it's stuck down properly! I obviously haven't and now lots of bits of really annoying dust have started appearing between the LCD & the digitiser! Grrr. :D

Guest Vtecbros

Just got done installing the new digitizer. Everything went smooth. I can tell the touch is a lot more responsive. My phone is a lot more easier to use now :D Anyone that thinks that their phone is responsive. I'd recommend you buying a new digitizer. It'll make your omnia a lot more responsive.

Guest xbladr

Will this work on the i910 from verizon as my touch panel is absolute s*** and who should i buy it from any recommendations

I purchased it around December maybe a little before that

Edited by xbladr

Guest ronzo77

I just installed a new digitizer from wholesaleandy. Definitely confirm that it more sensitive than the original digitizer on the phone that I got last year around September.

Unfortunately I was careless and got some dust and fingerprints under the digitizer! Does anyone know if it can be re-used if I remove the glue????

Guest steff195

Yes, it can be re-used. I also had that problem with the dust, and it was annoying for me, so I reopened the phone, removed the touch, cleaned everything there, and everything is ok now. :D

Guest ronzo77
Yes, it can be re-used. I also had that problem with the dust, and it was annoying for me, so I reopened the phone, removed the touch, cleaned everything there, and everything is ok now. :D

Great! Did you fix it back with or without the glue?

Guest steff195

I didn't use any glue at all. The touch can be fixed back with its own glue. It doesn't fall apart when you dettach it. I wondered the same question before I removed it again, but I was surprised that it holds. Just try it!

Guest shenster

has anyone changed the entire housing on the omnia. my omnia fell off my pocket while i was riding my motorcycle and its scratched and bruised. i need to replace the full housing. including the touch panel. can someone help me.. i am looking for the original samsung housing. not the cheap chinese version.. i need a link.... the samsung dealer in my country doesnt have it.... please help...

Guest Vtecbros

Hey guys i ran into a little problem i accidently ribbed the ribbon cable for left and end key and mouse. i need that whole new part. Does anyone know where i can buy one?

I need to get my phone running please. anyone?