How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

Guest NEBUCHADNEZZA

Hello!

...so after trying a friends omnia i realized my touch screen sucks ;-)

odered one on ebay...

german seller, vodafone, 8GB logo, silver, same Serial numer as the old one 125A2-0319(G) with red dot

installation:

no need to take camera out or gps cabel....just move the cable to the side to unscrew

keep it al clean and shining ;-)

result:

Great!!! finally usable with winmo 6.5 today screen!

greetings

Guest lantony
has anyone changed the entire housing on the omnia. my omnia fell off my pocket while i was riding my motorcycle and its scratched and bruised. i need to replace the full housing. including the touch panel. can someone help me.. i am looking for the original samsung housing. not the cheap chinese version.. i need a link.... the samsung dealer in my country doesnt have it.... please help...

I did it, i had the black one now this is the result:

bought all the original components as from photo on ebay at eshoptradehk

0fad_1.JPG

Edited by lantony

Friends, need your help!

I have recieved my new touch screen from easyworldwidetrading.

It's black and w/o any serial number imprinted.

I was following this manual.

When I had unsticked the old touch screen from LCD I found that all double side tape (glue) had lefted on the touch screen.

The new touch screen from easyworldwidetrading doesn't have any glue or double side tape on back side.

It has just protective films on back side the same on front side.

So I can't stick my new touch screen to LCD!

What is wrong? Help please!

Guest steff195
It has just protective films on back side the same on front side.

So I can't stick my new touch screen to LCD!

What is wrong? Help please!

You have to remove the fullscreen film from the back, and then you should find another film, which covers only the the sides of the screen... that film covers the glue. The glue is placed, as you probably noticed on the old touchscreen, only on the sides, not on all surface. This is why you didn't see it. Anyway, you should feel that is thicker in there when you touch it.

If you don't have any glue at all on the new touchscreen, that means you've been punked. :D

Guest Marcys
has anyone changed the entire housing on the omnia. my omnia fell off my pocket while i was riding my motorcycle and its scratched and bruised. i need to replace the full housing. including the touch panel. can someone help me.. i am looking for the original samsung housing. not the cheap chinese version.. i need a link.... the samsung dealer in my country doesnt have it.... please help...

Ebay. Search for full housing.

Guest Wadzii

i changed the screen on my i910 last night. it works alot better.

i wouldn't say its as dramatic as some others, but it definitely makes the phone alot easier to use

You have to remove the fullscreen film from the back, and then you should find another film, which covers only the the sides of the screen... that film covers the glue. The glue is placed, as you probably noticed on the old touchscreen, only on the sides, not on all surface. This is why you didn't see it. Anyway, you should feel that is thicker in there when you touch it.

If you don't have any glue at all on the new touchscreen, that means you've been punked. ;)

Are you sure that under the fullscreen film there should be one more film under which there is a sticky layer? Had your new touch screen a sticky layer?

...I have been compelled to use a double side adhesive tape for fastening of my touch :D

Edited by PSP

Guest steff195

That's how I got it. It's bought from ebay. It has at first the fullscreen film and then, when I remove that film, I get a square film that covers only the margins that contain the glue, just like the initial touch that I removed. It's just a second film to protect only the glued area.

Guest a1m80t

I just order mines from easyworldtrading but the color is a bit off. Its more of a reflective black in that only in certain lighting is it really black. Most of the time, it looks more silver. To be honest, it looks bad with the stock housing. I say buy from a different dealer as easyworldtrading is more expensive.

Still, if you paint the housing to charcoal black and clear coat (I used the spray paints from wall-mart) the phone actually looks pretty cool now

a final note, the full ebay housing from 24_hours_trade is pretty bad, the whole thing is made out of plastic and is not interchangable with the original housing.

Edited by a1m80t

I just order mines from easyworldtrading but the color is a bit off. Its more of a reflective black in that only in certain lighting is it really black. Most of the time, it looks more silver. To be honest, it looks bad with stock housing. I say buy from a different dealer as easyworldtrading is more expensive one

Tell me please, has your new touch screen from easyworldtrading the glue layer on back side and serial number on cable?

Guest rendeiro2005
i had already added to the first post, since the beginning of the thread lolllllllllllllllllllllllll

P.s. The new guide is available for download at the first post. Sorry still didnt have time for the translation in english

i think you`re a "little" mistaken....

what you put on 1º post nothing have to do about what i`ve posted. (maybe i don`t even look at that file :D )

Guest a1m80t
Tell me please, has your new touch screen from easyworldtrading the glue layer on back side and serial number on cable?

The back of the screen was basically tape and there was a serial number.

Edited by a1m80t

Guest vash8806

Hey guys. If you plan on keeping your omnia, GET THIS!! COMPATIBLE/WORKS GREAT WITH VERIZON I910!!! [its what i have]

1. Be careful with the replacement, if somethign doesnt go in properly, dont get upset, work with it n it'll come out eventually, if you're disconnecting it properly.

2. IF you need a better tutorial, let me know and I'll post one up. VERY EASY [took me about 30-45 minutes...first time EVER opening a phone]

3. Do a screen alignment after you're done putting it together, and its like a dream come true.

4. Dont use glue, it'll stick regardless, just align it properly.

5. GL!!!

Guest pojomail2002
Hi,

i just received mine.

its black as per order.

it took a week++ to get the item.ship from hongkong to Malaysia.

i will assemble the new digitizer tonight.

wait for the result.

I also ordered mine from wholesaleandy. Got it in about a week from HK to Australia.

Like many others here, I've also successfully changed my panel, and it sure makes a lot of difference!!

I'd say if you put the iphone panel as 10/10, the original samsung one as about 3-4/10, then the new one would be around 7-8/10.

I don't need to use my finger nails to scroll around anymore :D

Th panel wasn't too hard to change, but have to be careful unplugging the wires and the trickiest part is to detach the panel from the LCD. At one stage I thought I was ripping the wrong things apart. Otherwise, it was pretty straightforward if you follow the samsung service manual which someone kindly posted in this forum. The whole operation took me around an hour.

Hope this helps people to decide whether to change the panel.

Guest steff195
Also, you don't really need glue because the front housting actually secures the touch panel/digitizer to the phone.

Yes, but it kinda lets dust in.

Guest lorin.bute

I went yesterday to a phone service and they told me they can order and change the digitizer at a good price. So i want to do it and i told them that samsung has a new digitizer which is more sensitive and i want that one, otherwise its pointless to change it. But they told me they don't know how to make the difference between them and i should know exactly what to order in order for them to help me.

So, what exactly should i tell them to order? Is there a serial number that i should look for or what?

Thanks.

Guest badman08
I went yesterday to a phone service and they told me they can order and change the digitizer at a good price. So i want to do it and i told them that samsung has a new digitizer which is more sensitive and i want that one, otherwise its pointless to change it. But they told me they don't know how to make the difference between them and i should know exactly what to order in order for them to help me.

So, what exactly should i tell them to order? Is there a serial number that i should look for or what?

Thanks.

I think the chance to get an old digitizer (means older than 4 or 5 months) is near 0, when you order today a new one. So the new ones after February or january are good, the older ones are bad.

Guest Breaka

Hi!

I bought my Omnia 16GB on Feb. 2009 here in Austria at an A1/Vodafone shop. Unfortunately the sh*tty touch panel was mounted. Went two weeks ago to the shop again, told them, that the panel is quite unresponsible so they sent it in for repair. Yesterday I got it back from the service and: WOW, can't believe my eyes. They changed the touch panel to the new one without any problems.

The only sad thing is, that they still sold the old/terrible touch panel phone back in february, maybe even still today...

Guest lorin.bute
I think the chance to get an old digitizer (means older than 4 or 5 months) is near 0, when you order today a new one. So the new ones after February or january are good, the older ones are bad.

Thanks.

I guess I'll go and tell them to change it. I can't stand it anymore :D

Guest Milanello

It's amazing!!! My new touch digitizer is amazing!! At first I couldn't believe that the difference with my old digitizer was that huge!!

I'm liking it!! My brother has a HTC touch hd and my Omnia is now MORE responsive !!!

The installation took about 40min with extreme coolness ;-)! I followed the italian guide video on youtube from Lantony. I can't say the proces was easy but it's defenatly worth it!!

Omnia heaven!

Guest lutharigno

ok so like many others i had the bad panel and phone really p'd me off! Bought the new one, tried to mount it and made tore the lcd cable! It was very small, in respect to the cable but DISPLAY WOULDN'T COME ON!!! ;)

After a lot of cursing, drinking, more cursing, a bout of depression, and about 3 weeks, I found someone close to me that could repair the phone (as i refused to open my phone again). It took him all of 30 minutes to disassembly the phone, repair the tear and put the phone back together again. Now i'm back in business. The new digitizer is amazing, no more using fingernails or pressing hard on the screen. I LOVE my phone again, like when i first got it! :D

Moral of the story - Read the entire thread, if I had I would've seen the post that said it's safer to NOT use tweezers! Thanks for all the good info here. It has made a huge difference.

Guest a1m80t
Yes, but it kinda lets dust in.

The digitizer is backed with double sided tape(basically) so dust don't won't get it. Glueing the peices together is overkill.