How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

I've just about given up finding an original touchscreen, I ordered a knock-off in Brooklyn off ebay.

They are out there, for people in the EU this is an original part:

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/samsung-i900-om...reen-p18471.htm

Did you try this? I'm hesitating to order this one but the warranty is tempting. :)

they don't ship to my address but I can use a 3rd party express to deliver it to me (cost around $18 extra)

Guest eufouria
Did you try this? I'm hesitating to order this one but the warranty is tempting. :)

they don't ship to my address but I can use a 3rd party express to deliver it to me (cost around $18 extra)

I did not order from them, here's a post from there forums:

http://forums.mobilefun.co.uk/samsung/723-...-digitizer.html

*EDIT*

Ha! I didn't realize that was you in the Mobile fun forums NMS

Edited by eufouria

I did not order from them, here's a post from there forums:

http://forums.mobilefun.co.uk/samsung/723-...-digitizer.html

*EDIT*

Ha! I didn't realize that was you in the Mobile fun forums NMS

:) :( ;) ;)

Still I'm not 100% convinced to buy it. I even e-mail the company and got the same reply; I don't know if they are aware of the problem we're talking about here.

anyone else tried/ordered this digitizer.

Guest eufouria

Installed a cheapo ebay screen yesterday, it's so nice to use your finger (not the nail) but it's sad to know every second it's getting less responsive.

Installed a cheapo ebay screen yesterday, it's so nice to use your finger (not the nail) but it's sad to know every second it's getting less responsive.

Is it already getting less responsive, or do you expect it to become less responsive because of the comments here? I'm still waiting for my new digitizer :) . I've bought it on eBay as well, it was only 11 dollars, but may have a Vodafone logo, which may also indicate, that it's an original... what do you guys think?

Edited by doi620

Guest eufouria

Well I've installed two ebay screens before this one and they both lost sensitivity so I don't have much faith in this one. If it has a Vodafone logo I'd say your chances are better than a plain samsung one.

Guest Clarkey M

I'm having an issue which I've not read about on here, which gets me thinking I've gone wrong somewhere.

I got the old touch screen off (not the LCD) but when I put the replacement Digitizer screen on, there's now a small 1mm gap between the the bazel and the screen.

Comparing the touch screen I took off with the new Digitizer one, the old one is twice the thickness - this is what is resulting in the screen not being flush with the bazel, and same with the 3 touch buttons - they were the same level as the screen until I replaced with new screen, but now the buttons are thicker than the screen.

Anyone have any idea where I've gone wrong??

Guest Clarkey M

Hmmm, strange. I've noticed on the old screen that I've removed has two layers?? :)

One layer being the same thickness has the new replacement digitizer (1mm) and has the ribbon connector, and then another layer about 3mm thick, which has the grill part at the top?

Am I right in thinking that all of this should have been removed, leaving just the lcd, in which I put the digitizer screen on to?

Confused!

Am I right in thinking that all of this should have been removed, leaving just the lcd, in which I put the digitizer screen on to?

I don't know, I still have to go through the whole thing myself, but take a look at this video, maybe it helps in finding the answer to your question.

Guest Clarkey M

Yeah looking at that video the screen he removes is the same thickness as the one I removed, but the replacement I got from Ebay is super thin.

Doesn't help that I've fudged it up by accidently ripping off the ribbon connector on it, so have ordered another screen from someone else from Ebay.

Strange thing is that the old screen no longer works either, even though it's not damaged (just annoying scratch on it).

Does anyone know how the touch screen element of it works? Does it all come from the ribbon connector?

Edited by Clarkey M

Guest Jim McKenzie

I DID IT!!!!

I had a problem with lower left part of the screen.. today the new digitizer came to me from Ebay.. I had the courage to start the job.

After one and a half hours I finally finished to job. So I turned to phone on and it works PERFECTLY!! Way better than before, like I have a new phone.. AWESOME!!!!

Guest D4rkGh057
I DID IT!!!!

I had a problem with lower left part of the screen.. today the new digitizer came to me from Ebay.. I had the courage to start the job.

After one and a half hours I finally finished to job. So I turned to phone on and it works PERFECTLY!! Way better than before, like I have a new phone.. AWESOME!!!!

I just did the same! fantastic.

Guest Melih3d

You know guys, you all have made a huge deal about replacing the touchpad, I also bought a brandnew touchpad about 4 months ago, and it was not what I had expected it to be. Well, actually that's not totally true, at first it seemed better, but later on I realized that I had left so much dust between the LCD and the touchpad that I had to open it up again and clean the damn thing, and about 4 days ago I noticed that the middle part of my "new" screen isn't working... so I installed the old -original- touchpad back on. Now everything is as it should be... there's a PDF and a video on modaco (here on this site) that helped me with the replacement procedures, so what I'd say is leave the damn thing alone. I figured if Samsung made a better screen they wouldn't sell it for less than $50, anything you buy for less than that is not an original part and definitely not better. Of course all above is just what I think. Peace...

You know guys, you all have made a huge deal about replacing the touchpad, I also bought a brandnew touchpad about 4 months ago, and it was not what I had expected it to be. Well, actually that's not totally true, at first it seemed better, but later on I realized that I had left so much dust between the LCD and the touchpad that I had to open it up again and clean the damn thing, and about 4 days ago I noticed that the middle part of my "new" screen isn't working... so I installed the old -original- touchpad back on. Now everything is as it should be... there's a PDF and a video on modaco (here on this site) that helped me with the replacement procedures, so what I'd say is leave the damn thing alone. I figured if Samsung made a better screen they wouldn't sell it for less than $50, anything you buy for less than that is not an original part and definitely not better. Of course all above is just what I think. Peace...

and you think right; but you missed the exact point of this thread, we are here because we had the first release of the device with a useless "original" digitizer. if you have the touch sensitive original digitizer (later release of teh device), then no nedd to bother and try to replace it or even read this thread.

you are right about the dust also; I noticed that too.

Guest jaewon223

i changed my digitizer months back and initially from what i remembered and what i've posted reports here was that the phone was extremely responsive to just a touch. i didnt need to use pressure from my fingernail to make it respond. however, i thought it was just me but slowly it's gone back to where i need to put pressure with my fingernail or try to push hard with my finger to get a response.

i was just over at tmobile store checking out the new google phone and it's so awesome. capacitive touch is really better than resistive, hands down. it was so refreshing just touching the screen and having it do exactly what i want instead of me having to look for a pen or press down hard with my fingernail and have it sometimes respond to what i want it to.

Right now the touch screen (responsiveness) is the only thing that bothers me about my phone. I wouldn't want to miss any of the functionalities I have now and no other phones than Windows Mobile phones can offer those.

Guest Melih3d

mine too man, I got everything and more installed n that phone, I'm using WM 6.5 build 23071, and I'm sooo happy with it but the touch responsiveness could drive me nuts sometimes, I'm just gonna have to deal with it until WM 7 comes out with capacitive touchscreen support....

Yayy!!! I've succesfully replaced my screen. The responsiveness is amazing, like everyone said. The most important thing though is, that my Omnia still works :D and I now have a scratch-free screen!! Even if the screen will be getting less responsive, it is still a success!

No dust under my screen (yet). Let's hope it will stay this way.

BTW, my digitizer has a Vodafone logo. I will keep you informed about the future responsiveness of this screen.

Thanks everybody for explaining how to do this.

:P