How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

the digitizer on ebay looks all the same, how can you understand the quality of each one? How can I be sure to buy the definitive one?

Thanks for suggestions

Hi,

the digitizer on ebay looks all the same, how can you understand the quality of each one? How can I be sure to buy the definitive one?

Thanks for suggestions

No one is sure yet; but most eBay digitizers are chinese made (and usually shipped from China or Hong Kong), these I'm sure are not good quality.

Some digitizers are shipped from US or Europe and usually more expensive; I'm not sure about thse and we are waiting feedbacks from those who bought them.

Someone suggested that if the digitizer holds a brand name (t-mobile) for example, could be a high quality made.

you can try one of these and give us your feedback

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/samsung-i900-om...reen-p18471.htm (has a one-year customer satisfaction warranty)

http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-Touch-Screen-Digit...=item3a52c0767e (Cheap and shipped from Hong Kong but has the VodaFone logo)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Samsung-Omnia-i910-lcd...=item27abf6ccdd (Shipped from USA and the buyer stated clearly not chinese made)

Edited by N_M_S

I must change my screen digitizer and my housing cover so I've stopped at this

http://cgi.ebay.com/FASCIA-HOUSING-COVER-S...=item19b6d94d1e

Is it a good choice will it solve my touch screen problems(2008 version) And will it fit my phone correctly seems too good but to cheap. What's your opinion.

Cheap + Chinese = NO.

This could be the summery of this whole topic. :)

Guest SsBloodY

Well I've Thank you for the advise. I responded to you also in the Omnia forum. But I will write also here if someone else can help me. Have you seen white housing with digitizer NON CHINESE and not mre than 40$ maybe 50$. If there isn't such a thing I will buy this one which looks good http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-SAMSUNG-i900-...=item518c375469

Guest corpisa
Cheap + Chinese = NO.

This could be the summery of this whole topic. :)

where do you think almost every tech gadget we have its made these days? no trouble buying from your suggested places but they are buying it from china/korea/twain/etc also so you are just paying a little more because there is someone else in the middle.

I just order mine from andywholesale lets see what I get !!!

slds,

Edited by corpisa

where do you think almost every tech gadget we have its made these days? no trouble buying from your suggested places but they are buying it from china/korea/twain/etc also so you are just paying a little more because there is someone else in the middle.

I just order mine from andywholesale lets see what I get !!!

slds,

You are totally true; what I meant here is all sellers on eBay located in China or Hong Kong usually sells the lowest quality items (at least when it comes to Omnia digitizers).

By the way I also tried WholeSaleAndy and the digitizer didn't last more than a month before it lost its sensitivity again. now it's useless.

Guest corpisa
You are totally true; what I meant here is all sellers on eBay located in China or Hong Kong usually sells the lowest quality items (at least when it comes to Omnia digitizers).

By the way I also tried WholeSaleAndy and the digitizer didn't last more than a month before it lost its sensitivity again. now it's useless.

well... what can I say, thanks !!! you just ruined my weekend :) mine its on his way.

slds,

Cheap + Chinese = NO.

I'd say: cheap + Chinese = worth trying ;-)

After one month my screen is still working very well. Because of all the posts I sometimes think the touch response is getting less, but then it's hardly noticeable and maybe even my imagination :) . AND it may also be the software sometimes running (slow) on your Omnia.

So far I'm still very satisfied about this new screen. I'll report back in a few weeks.

Guest MzOmnia

Holly crap !! i bought this omnia in october 08.

struggling to adapt with this phone, everthing work just fine. just a bad quality of touch screen.

and now after a year there's a news about the new touch screen :D)

right before i change to omnia2 ... i might will try to change this screen first.

i'll take this phone to samsung center tomorow .. wish me luck ^^

Guest crash98

Hi, I'm Itaian and I've bought a new digitalizer because my omnia had big screen alignment problems. I've changed digitalizer following instructions in this thread but my phone doesn't turn on anymore. I've been very carefull and already tried to dismount/mount again, even with old digitalizer... no sign of life!

What could I try?

TY

ps. excuse for my poor english.

Guest lantony
Hi, I'm Itaian and I've bought a new digitalizer because my omnia had big screen alignment problems. I've changed digitalizer following instructions in this thread but my phone doesn't turn on anymore. I've been very carefull and already tried to dismount/mount again, even with old digitalizer... no sign of life!

What could I try?

TY

ps. excuse for my poor english.

did u use gloves during the procedure? Have u carefully plugged all the connections?

well... what can I say, thanks !!! you just ruined my weekend :D mine its on his way.

slds,

I'm just reporting my expereince (that's what the forum is all about...right?) :(

I'd say: cheap + Chinese = worth trying ;-)

After one month my screen is still working very well. Because of all the posts I sometimes think the touch response is getting less, but then it's hardly noticeable and maybe even my imagination :D . AND it may also be the software sometimes running (slow) on your Omnia.

So far I'm still very satisfied about this new screen. I'll report back in a few weeks.

hopefully it'll stay like this...let's hear from you in three months. ;)

Guest crash98
Are you sure the battery is still loaded? :D

It's the only thing I'm not sure, but I've not a battery charger and I'm not sure that, in this case, connecting the phone to pc with data cable works ...

But I'm pretty sure there is a bit of charge to boot the phone...

I've to find a charger and try...

TY

Guest Natsirt
Holly crap !! i bought this omnia in october 08.

struggling to adapt with this phone, everthing work just fine. just a bad quality of touch screen.

and now after a year there's a news about the new touch screen :( )

right before i change to omnia2 ... i might will try to change this screen first.

i'll take this phone to samsung center tomorow .. wish me luck ^^

Let's just hope you arent taking it to a service center in australia.. god dam, seriously, australia has the shittiest service centers. I took my omnia to get the screen replaced, they said it would take 3 working days to "check out what's wrong" (wtf? i know what the problem is!) and then they'd have to confirm to me what's wrong and if i want to change whatever is wrong, so thats another 1-2 working days. Once confirmed, it takes 5 working days for them to order the part and receive it. After that, it takes 3-4 working days to install the part. That's not all, theres a $48 inspection fee that must be paid before they will even look at the device, and after that, its $150 to change the part. holy crap. so far it's been 2 weeks, and still nothing... it better be the best damn digitizer ever! :D

Guest alvinezz
Let's just hope you arent taking it to a service center in australia.. god dam, seriously, australia has the shittiest service centers. I took my omnia to get the screen replaced, they said it would take 3 working days to "check out what's wrong" (wtf? i know what the problem is!) and then they'd have to confirm to me what's wrong and if i want to change whatever is wrong, so thats another 1-2 working days. Once confirmed, it takes 5 working days for them to order the part and receive it. After that, it takes 3-4 working days to install the part. That's not all, theres a $48 inspection fee that must be paid before they will even look at the device, and after that, its $150 to change the part. holy crap. so far it's been 2 weeks, and still nothing... it better be the best damn digitizer ever! :D

r u in syd? is it the one on parramatta road?? they do have new/sensitive version of omnia digitizer??

keep me updated coz im interested in having sensitive screen on my omnia !

btw, where can i buy the best digitizer for omnia?? will the sensitivity fade after a period of time? 3 months max??

plz enlighten me

Thanks!

Edited by alvinezz

Guest Natsirt
r u in syd? is it the one on parramatta road?? they do have new/sensitive version of omnia digitizer??

keep me updated coz im interested in having sensitive screen on my omnia !

btw, where can i buy the best digitizer for omnia?? will the sensitivity fade after a period of time? 3 months max??

plz enlighten me

Thanks!

nope, I'm in Perth. But the service centre said they had to order the part from sydney, so I believe if you're in sydney, the time it takes would get cut down about 5 working days :D They gave me a call today to let me know the phone is ready to be picked up :( i'll be picking it up in a couple of hours, hope its good!

The service centre said that the touch panel was the cause of the touch screen not being very responsive, so they're replacing it. Hopefully it'll be good, and wont lose sensitivity after a few months, like certain ebay screens people have experienced here.

I'll keep you posted =)

Guest Natsirt

Okay, just got my omnia bacck from the service centre. They put in a new screen with the "8GB" in the corner. Its much more sensitive now =) much much more, hopefully it stays this way. I think they may have replaced the LCD too, unless you're meant to.. Because my old screen protector is on the old digitizer piece, and it looks about 2mm thick. When i got my phone back, it had the piece of plastic over the screen like new phones have.

Guest alvinezz
Okay, just got my omnia bacck from the service centre. They put in a new screen with the "8GB" in the corner. Its much more sensitive now =) much much more, hopefully it stays this way. I think they may have replaced the LCD too, unless you're meant to.. Because my old screen protector is on the old digitizer piece, and it looks about 2mm thick. When i got my phone back, it had the piece of plastic over the screen like new phones have.

hmmm interesting.. is it iphone-like sensitivity *hoping* ? =)

so how much did it cost u altogether? i guess if they did replace the LCD, that contritube the huge chunk of the money that u paid.. LCD much more expensive than the digitizer, i assume?

u went to the official samsung service centre, didnt u?

Yeh keep me updated! Cheers, mate! :D

Edited by alvinezz

Guest Natsirt
hmmm interesting.. is it iphone-like sensitivity *hoping* ? =)

so how much did it cost u altogether? i guess if they did replace the LCD, that contritube the huge chunk of the money that u paid.. LCD much more expensive than the digitizer, i assume?

u went to the official samsung service centre, didnt u?

Yeh keep me updated! Cheers, mate! :(

haha nope, it's good. But not iphone good. It takes a gentle touch to use, but not as gentle as iphone screens. So its still good for resistive.

As for the cost, it costed me around $198. I'm not entirely sure if they did replace my LCD too, but it looks like it as its quite distinctive there's 2 layers to the part they removed, with my screen protector stuck onto the surface layer.

And yes, i went to the official samsung service centre, or as they're now known as: Samsung customer Service plaza (or something like that ;))

Will keep you updated :D