How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

Guest alvinezz
ah fk. Totally failed in putting on a screen protector for the new screen, it's all dusty and air-bubble'd..

ouch! thats gonna be the last thing that u want from brand new screen! :D

nevertheless i assume u are now enjoying ur omnia more than ever now! :(

Guest Natsirt
ouch! thats gonna be the last thing that u want from brand new screen! :D

nevertheless i assume u are now enjoying ur omnia more than ever now! :(

haha yes, but it's not as good as I had imagined.. i probably hoped for too much after I got all hyped up by this thread ;)

Guest SteveEdson

I sent mine off with vodafone in the UK, a 3 day repair service, got it back and they had done nothing to it at all. Next day (tuesday24th nov) i took it to the Carphone Warehouse as its a official samsung service centre, on the website the status says 'Awaiting Parts' so i hope its going to be fixed, its all included in my warranty also.

Guest alvinezz
haha yes, but it's not as good as I had imagined.. i probably hoped for too much after I got all hyped up by this thread :D

any chance to put it on a video ? :(

Guest Natsirt
any chance to put it on a video ? ;)

sorry alvinezz, I don't have any other video recorder except my omnia :D But after about a week of trying it out, I've discovered its a bit less sensitive at the bottom of the screen, where the taskbar is. I'm not sure if it's the screen's fault, or I am not pressing in the right spot, but the bottom area needs a tad bit more pressure than the rest of the screen. I should really upgrade to WM6.5, as 6.1 is not that finger friendly, and i do have to use my nails sometimes because of that wee little scroll bar :D

Haha now that I've got the new screen, I'm getting all paranoid again about whether the magnets in my leather cases would affect it :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ntinos92

Hello everyone,

One of this digitizers has just arrived... I reached the step where you have to remove the old digitizer from the screen... I removed it but it seems that my omnia 's digitizer is different. It lies just above the screen, 2 "layers" below the faceplate. The new digitizer is also a faceplate.

Anwz, between the "layers" there is a piece of plastic which i used to stick on my new digitizer - faceplate. I have connected alla the cables correctly, double-checked but there is no any response. The screen and all the buttons work fine, the sound also works fine but no touch sensitivity...... Please HEEEEELLLLPP!!!!!!!! I need a detailed video where the old digitizer is removed and the new one is installed.........

;)

I need a detailed video where the old digitizer is removed and the new one is installed.........

;)

I think this is pretty detailed... but don't know if it's enough for you (I posted this link a few pages back):

Guest ntinos92
I think this is pretty detailed... but don't know if it's enough for you (I posted this link a few pages back):

Thanks for the reply.... I don't know what i am doing wrong!!! The old touch panel was a glass digitizer covered by other plastic layers and on the top was a faceplate. This new one digitizer is also a faceplate. So, i have to install it on the top and a plastic layer below???!! I just does not work! I tried installing back the old digitizer but still nothing happens!!! All of my cables are correctly connected..... What shall i do????

Can anyone find me an ebay link with a full touch panel of the i900 omnia??? (digitizer + glass, everything except the screen)

Thanks for the reply.... I don't know what i am doing wrong!!! The old touch panel was a glass digitizer covered by other plastic layers and on the top was a faceplate. This new one digitizer is also a faceplate. So, i have to install it on the top and a plastic layer below???!! I just does not work! I tried installing back the old digitizer but still nothing happens!!! All of my cables are correctly connected..... What shall i do????

Can anyone find me an ebay link with a full touch panel of the i900 omnia??? (digitizer + glass, everything except the screen)

Difficult to say what is going wrong; but you have to sort of split the old digitizer from the LCD screen that is underneath it. So the digitizer is glued to the LCD screen, but only on the edges, so if you put a credit card or something between the two, you should be able to split them (like in the video).

I don't know what you mean by 'covered by other plastic layers', I don't recall haveing seen other plastic layers besides the LCD screen and the digitizer ;) .

Guest ntinos92

There is a screen display and the digitizer screen. The digitizer screen is constituted by three "layers". A the digitizer, the digitizer glass and the faceplate... The new digitizer that i bought is a thin piece of plastic which is also a faceplate... But the glass it has no any glass to be installed between the screen and the digitizer....

I i installed the old digitizer' s between the new digitizer and screen display. The digitizer was correctly connected but there is no any touch response. The screen, sound, buttons and other components work fine

Guest ntinos92
I've been keeping an eye on this unbelievable lengthy topic for awhile and ONE CONCLUSION:

NOT worthy to replace! ;)

What do you mean??? ;) The seller from who i bought the digitizer is sending me another one with a glass screen! Hope to make it work !!!!!

Guest Natsirt
I've been keeping an eye on this unbelievable lengthy topic for awhile and ONE CONCLUSION:

NOT worthy to replace! ;)

lol thats kinda tru, just get a phone with a better screen! ;)

Omnia is OLD now..;)

Guest ntinos92

Omnia is OLD now.. ;)

Yeah i know that better phones are out in the market now but i only own it for 1.5 years...... It 's really shame to spend money on something that i don't really need like a better phone. There are people who die because they don't have money and i feel really bad to spend so much money without any important reason ;)

Omnia is OLD now.. ;)

Old is cheap ;)

Yeah i know that better phones are out in the market now but i only own it for 1.5 years...... It 's really shame to spend money on something that i don't really need like a better phone. There are people who die because they don't have money and i feel really bad to spend so much money without any important reason ;)

I hear ya'

Guest Natsirt

too true ;) $800 can really help alot of people in the world.

Guest whiplash000

Hey everyone, I managed to successfully install a new digitizer on my i910 purchased from order-bulk.net for $16.95 today. Here's a few tips for those brave enough to do it themselves:

- I followed the directions from the i900 service manual, skipping the part where the camera module was taken apart.

- The merciful Samsung engineers changed the outside screws on the i910 from t6 to phillips head (this -> + ) :)

- Be careful once you finally manage to get all the tabs separated and the case opened... The power/main menu buttons flew out and landed a few feet away ;)

- There is no GPS antenna connector on the i910, so skip that step. I believe that it's placed on the bottom of the case next to the cell antenna, which has two contacts with the mainboard held on by pressure.

- Unlike the i900, the i910's front faceplate is in 2 pieces. The bottom plastic one will come off as soon as the case is opened, and the metal middle/top part is held on by some adhesive so give it a little elbow grease once you take out the middle two screws inside.

- The optical mouse and send/end buttons go ON TOP of the bottom metal edge of the faceplate, INCLUDING the sticky pad that goes underneath them.

- The digitizer itself is held onto the LCD by some fairly strong, but intentionally removable, adhesive. Just don't bend the digitizer too hard and it should be ok. Look at your new one to see how thick it is so you don't accidentally peel the digitizer itself apart like I almost did :o

- Speaking of the old digitizer, you should take that adhesive cover from your new one and put it over the old one's adhesive and save it. You never know whether that new one will work or not B)

- Make SURE you got as much dust off the LCD as possible before putting the new one on. You only really have one good shot at this part. Use the light sensor on top as a guide to line up the screen. Then, press down hard, checking the rim to make sure the digitizer slides into all the tabs and grooves along its perimeter.

- One thing I only noticed as I put it back together is that the digitizer attaches to the mainboard using a lock-in slot. The tiny lock needs to be snapped shut to hold the cable in place.

The new digitizer is amazing! My touchscreen works so much better now. I used to have to push fairly hard with my fingernail to do anything, but now it's as simple as brushing it with the tip of my finger! I don't even use a screen protector anymore. If I scratch up the screen, I'll just buy a new digitizer B)

Edited by whiplash000

Great post. Especially good to know about the difference between the 910 and the 900, didn't know about the extra screen layer on the 910.

Anyway, my new (Vodafone marked) digitizer (installed in September) is still working extremely well. No sense of decreasing touch response. But I also installed a new 6.5 ROM (lite), which DOES make a big difference compared to the original 6.1 ROM. I wonder if the people here who complain about the loss of sensibility tried to change their ROM. It may be worth the try :)

Edited by doi620

Anyway, my new (Vodafone marked) digitizer (installed in September) is still working extremely well. No sense of decreasing touch response.

That is one good news, from where did you buy it?

But I also installed a new 6.5 ROM (lite), which DOES make a big difference compared to the original 6.1 ROM. I wonder if the people here who complain about the loss of sensibility tried to change their ROM. It may be worth the try :)

That's true, even with the old or disfunctional digitizer it still makes a difference. there is some reg mod as well to increase sensitivity.