How to mount a new Touch panel on OMNIA

Guest lantony

Guest grypenigma
Oh my god are you joking? Of course they told you that!

Supertouch is just a name that i used to specify that there are 2 different touch. You just should go to the samsung centre and tell them that the touch on your Omnia is not responsive and it's really bad even if you updated to the latest rom. They will provide you a touch replacement for free (at least that's what happens in Italy)

oh how silly i've been. haha

anyway i've changed my screen because it was damaged.

not too sure why, but my screen has improved a lot. i dont have to put so much pressure like i used to.

Guest lantony
oh how silly i've been. haha

anyway i've changed my screen because it was damaged.

not too sure why, but my screen has improved a lot. i dont have to put so much pressure like i used to.

Sorry did u replace it by yourself or the samsung centre did it for you?

Guest 3shirts

I just rang Samsung UK and had a 10 minute argument with a girl who insisted it is designed to be used with the stylus. I pointed out this site: http://omnia.samsungmobile.com/ and the fact that the 'touch' section clearly highlights that it is designed for the finger but she was slightly stupid I think. In the end she said if I wanted to send it for repair they would look at it but if it works with the stylus it's unlikely to be repaired and i'll be without my phone for at least 2 weeks!

Didn't exactly fill me with confidence or leave me with a favourable view of Samsung! Looks like it's do it myself or put up with it as is!

Edited by 3shirts

Guest jamiee

about how to find out if you have a new touchscreen or and old one (at least i think this is the way)

the phone's where you can see a lightsensor next to the front camera are the new one's, the old omnia (i own one of these B) ) dont have visible lightsensor and are less sensitive :(

Guest lantony
about how to find out if you have a new touchscreen or and old one (at least i think this is the way)

the phone's where you can see a lightsensor next to the front camera are the new one's, the old omnia (i own one of these B) ) dont have visible lightsensor and are less sensitive :(

yep it should be like that, but it's not always true: i have the new touch hardware but the lightsensor is invisible

Guest Darkanian

Hmmm...Can any1 gimme a date from wich the Omnia has a better screen? An aproximation at least...Cuz the guys at Orange(at least where I am)aren't very profesional and I'm sure they dont know squat about the phone so they don't know if its RELOADED and I'm pretty sure they don't even have the Black version!

Guest dwallersv
read post 38 of this thread. Anyway if you have one of the latest Omnia, like the black one or Omnia reloaded, you will surely have the new hardware.

Does a 910 count as one of the "new ones"?

I'm guessing it does -- my screen is very finger-friendly and seems quite sensitive, but I did implement the registry tweaks listed in this thread (and others) shortly after I got it in January.

Still, it would be nice to have some way to distinguish between the two implementations.

Guest lantony
Hmmm...Can any1 gimme a date from wich the Omnia has a better screen? An aproximation at least...Cuz the guys at Orange(at least where I am)aren't very profesional and I'm sure they dont know squat about the phone so they don't know if its RELOADED and I'm pretty sure they don't even have the Black version!

I think models form December08/January 09 on, should mount the new hardware by default

Guest Michael122w

So now I have bought an new digitizor on ebay - my purchacing was based on the picture which made the edge of the new screen look black rather than bronze (as on my current screen). I will note down all of the product details on the device when it arrives so that we can start figuring out which are the good one and which are just the old screens.

Guest 3shirts
So now I have bought an new digitizor on ebay - my purchacing was based on the picture which made the edge of the new screen look black rather than bronze (as on my current screen). I will note down all of the product details on the device when it arrives so that we can start figuring out which are the good one and which are just the old screens.

That would be very useful to me, i'm thinking of doing this so would appeciate knowing which one to get and the process of changing it.

Guest Maxwell Newton

I baught my omnia from Phones4U (It was the only way to get the phone on contract with O2), i couldnt send it back to samsung because they had put a new ROM on it. I complained to P4U about the screen and how unsensitive it was and they replaced it for me with a screen which i can only guess is one of the new ones, its amazing how much better it is. However.... i fell over in the dark a couple of nights ago (some pillock had parked a trailer outside my gate!) and ive managed so scratch the screen quite a lot... It still works but has little gashes all the way down. I would love to buy a new touch pad to replace it with but would really hate to go back to the old type!

Long story short, has anyone confirmed a place to buy the new type of screen yet? A couple of you have baught them, how is andys ebay guy screens?

Max

Guest lantony

Cool man, i did the same as you, still waiting for the delivery. Since it's black and it has the light sensor hole it SHOULD be one of the most recent touch, anyway i'll cross my fingers B) and i hope mounting it won't be so difficult

Long story short, has anyone confirmed a place to buy the new type of screen yet? A couple of you have baught them, how is andys ebay guy screens?

Max

Yeah i took one from wholesaleandy but still waiting for the delivery, anyway the buyer shipped it the day after the payment....looks very professional and the price was so good !

Edited by lantony

Guest Rapixx

I received my screen.

Ok ok... it's a grey one !

No matter ...

I haven't been able to dismount the old screen, I'm gonna try again tonight ...

Guest Maxwell Newton
I can't give u any info about the panels but after you buy a new one get a screen protector! B)

Hehe yeah, well ive got a rubber case, just not a screen protector, i was worried that the screen isnt that responsive as is, and a screen protector would make this work, what do you think?

Yeah i took one from wholesaleandy but still waiting for the delivery, anyway the buyer shipped it the day after the payment....looks very professional and the price was so good !

Ah how exciting! Il be eagerly awaiting your updates!

Guest lantony
I received my screen.

No matter ...

WTF !!! How comes it's the gray one? I ordered the black one, hope i won't receive the gray :S

Follow the guide step by step and be very delicate B)

Guest Darkanian
Hehe yeah, well ive got a rubber case, just not a screen protector, i was worried that the screen isnt that responsive as is, and a screen protector would make this work, what do you think?

Ah how exciting! Il be eagerly awaiting your updates!

It woun't affect ur responsiveness...I think...anyway slighty less responsive is better than heavily scratched!

Guest ssyed
I received my screen.

No matter ...

So whats the update? did the new ebay digitizer increase the responsiveness, is it the new super ultra touch, as claimed B) ?

Guest modacian

thank you all guys, you have been inspiring, I have did the *#0*# and I definately have a bad touch screen, it is good around the edges, but very VERY bad in the middle area... to the point that I can see the LCD color change from my pressure but still not detecting the touch unless I press even harder! so I have decided to go for the new digitizer option, you guys have given me hope! :(

however the question is still valid, how do i know that the new digitizer is a good one? Samsung is denying any new/old digitizer, I have never seen any model numbering, and the only place on the internet that is talking about this is here! I know it exist but how do I know? there must be some model number!!!

Anyway, I have decided since I am going to "eventually" take my Omnia apart, why not change it to the white one! B) so guys, what do you think of this:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Original-Full-Housing-C...A1%7C240%3A1318

do you think it is the new digitizer?

Guest msra6la2
I baught my omnia from Phones4U (It was the only way to get the phone on contract with O2), i couldnt send it back to samsung because they had put a new ROM on it. I complained to P4U about the screen and how unsensitive it was and they replaced it for me with a screen which i can only guess is one of the new ones, its amazing how much better it is. However.... i fell over in the dark a couple of nights ago (some pillock had parked a trailer outside my gate!) and ive managed so scratch the screen quite a lot... It still works but has little gashes all the way down. I would love to buy a new touch pad to replace it with but would really hate to go back to the old type!

Max

I absolutely arse munched the lady on the phone at the repair centre. Them wa*kers did not fix my phone and they flashed it with the MSHJ1 rom without having "PDA: XXHJ4/MSHJ1" (instead PDA: XXHJ4) imprinted on my phone's version. I bought mine from Phones4U and I am on O2 as well.

I think Samsung still repairs phones for ppl like us. It's just a matter of whether they are gonna see the damage as "accidental" or otherwise.

Anyhow, I am now fine with the touchscreen having worked out how to aligne the screen and optimise the phone's sensitivity + scrolling.

Still becos of so many trials and errors my screen is now scratched, I would fancy a new screen as well but me thinks Samsung UK won't do it for me. I need to find some1 trustworthy to change it for me. Do you know any of them ppl who can replace the screen for me?

Edited by msra6la2

Guest Rapixx
WTF !!! How comes it's the gray one? I ordered the black one, hope i won't receive the gray :S

Follow the guide step by step and be very delicate B)

I broke the screws...

Anyway i'm gonna get a new omnia ;p