New ROM for Omnia i910

Guest BamDastard

Guest vash8806

STILL HAVING GPS FIX PROBLEM? HERE IT IS!! its as simple as this. This works for me..I"ve repeated the procedure and works to perfection.

AT HOME SCREEN:

1. GO TO "START>SETTINGS>PHONE" Next go to "GPS" and highlight it.... then click "Change Setting" Button at bottom.... CHANGE 911 only to "Location On"

A WARNING WILL BE DISPLAYED...CLICK OKAY...AND THEN PROCEED TO NEXT STEP!!!

2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>ControlPanel>GPS Settings>redirect

THIS REDIRECT FILE NEEDS TO BE DELETED. highlight and delete...use PHM Registry Editor....found at www.freewarepocketpc.net

3. Go to External GPS after soft reset. You can find it in "Settings" after deleting the "Redirect" key....

3 TABS:

1. Programs: "Change GPS Program Port:" to "COM8"

2. Hardware: Leave it alone. it should be at "(None)" and Baud rate of "4800". DONT TOUCH IT

3. Access: CHECK the "Manage GPS automatically (recommended)" box.....

SAVE CHANGES

4. Install latest Google Maps............START GOOGLE MAPS

Go to "Menu>Options>GPS Settings..." IT SHOULD HAVE 2 OPTIONS UNDER "My Location Settings"

Check the "Set Manually" option, it will have "COM8:" and " 57600" below it.

GO back to Google Maps main page, and change city location to yours..then go to "Menu>Use GPS" and your location will be fixed in no time.

5. (Optional) Install Live Search (so much better than Google Maps)....START LIVE SEARCH

Go to "Menu>Settings" MAKE SURE "Locate Me" Box is CHECKED.

GPS should be set at "GPS Intermediate Driver" DONE

FOR SOME REASON...I cant get "Locate Me" to work on live search...but I can go to the "Map" fuction in Live Search and still go to "Menu>Track Me Using GPS" to find my location....AND use "SEARCH NEAR HERE" option to look for food or anything I want.... BADASS!!!

6. OKAY SO I WAS ON CAMPUS DOING THIS...AND I GOT PISSED AFTER 30 MINUTES OF WAITING FOR GPS TO APPEAR OUTSIDE.....

TURNS OUT THAT YOU HAVE TO GET CLOSER TO A STREET AND YOU WILL BE RECOGNIZED>>>> A REAL STREET!!>>> NOT UR UNIVERSITY'S BACKYARD!!!!

If followed exactly....or ur settings resemble the same as these....You'll pick up satellites in no time...

Usually you know it works when Google Maps says...

Seeking GPS satellitess (89832038) some long number that doesnt make sense..then it'll go away.....NOW IF YOU GET CLOSER TO A STREET!! IT WILL START PICKING IT UP AND YOU CAN SOON FIND YOUR LOCATION!!!

AND FINALLY...>THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED THEIR TIME AND EFFORTS INTO MAKING THE OMNIA THE BEST badword PHONE EVER!! [until the HD one comes out :excl:]

Guest theidoctor.org

good tutorial.... i didnt have that much trouble with the gps taht everyone else had... you do have to just be patient outside... but hope this one helps

yes i would take the sd card out....

im not sure what exactly the hard reset, resets... it may be just the program file and the other one... not the main storage files (someone correct me if im wrong)....

SPB backup is great!!!! you should have no problem getting your settings back.

FYI, I flashed my phone with the 16GB SD card in and it was not affected. All files on the SD card were exactly as they were before.

Guest Solange82200
sorry, we need agps.

this method works...intermittenly.

Could that be why they haven't released it yet? Maybe they are working on getting the gps better. I hope it's a software thing and not a hardware thing.

Guest Chris98

I am having problems with email and texting on mine. with texting my girlfriend would text me twice, i would get the notice on the today screen of the 2 messages go in see both messages and the notification would go away. but now i haft to go in read 1 message exit out and go back in to get rid of the notification message. with email before i could send and recieve but after, i can recieve but i cant send. i need to check on my girlfriends phone and see if hers works (havent flashed hers yet).

Guest necosino

Samsung's May 11th ROM update is supposed to give "Improved GPS Functionality" to the i910, so hopefully that will take care of some of these problems :excl:

Guest jbrittmartin

i deleted the redirect file but i still am not seeing External GPS settings anywhere.

all i noticed was that my "system" settings under my all settings have shifted somewhat.

any advice?

STILL HAVING GPS FIX PROBLEM? HERE IT IS!! its as simple as this. This works for me..I"ve repeated the procedure and works to perfection.

AT HOME SCREEN:

1. GO TO "START>SETTINGS>PHONE" Next go to "GPS" and highlight it.... then click "Change Setting" Button at bottom.... CHANGE 911 only to "Location On"

THIS REDIRECT FILE NEEDS TO BE DELETED. highlight and delete...use PHM Registry Editor....found at www.freewarepocketpc.net

3. Go to External GPS after soft reset. You can find it in "Settings" after deleting the "Redirect" key....

3 TABS:

2. Hardware: Leave it alone. it should be at "(None)" and Baud rate of "4800". DONT TOUCH IT

SAVE CHANGES

Go to "Menu>Options>GPS Settings..." IT SHOULD HAVE 2 OPTIONS UNDER "My Location Settings"

GO back to Google Maps main page, and change city location to yours..then go to "Menu>Use GPS" and your location will be fixed in no time.

5. (Optional) Install Live Search (so much better than Google Maps)....START LIVE SEARCH

FOR SOME REASON...I cant get "Locate Me" to work on live search...but I can go to the "Map" fuction in Live Search and still go to "Menu>Track Me Using GPS" to find my location....AND use "SEARCH NEAR HERE" option to look for food or anything I want.... BADASS!!!

6. OKAY SO I WAS ON CAMPUS DOING THIS...AND I GOT PISSED AFTER 30 MINUTES OF WAITING FOR GPS TO APPEAR OUTSIDE.....

TURNS OUT THAT YOU HAVE TO GET CLOSER TO A STREET AND YOU WILL BE RECOGNIZED>>>> A REAL STREET!!>>> NOT UR UNIVERSITY'S BACKYARD!!!!

If followed exactly....or ur settings resemble the same as these....You'll pick up satellites in no time...

Seeking GPS satellitess (89832038) some long number that doesnt make sense..then it'll go away.....NOW IF YOU GET CLOSER TO A STREET!! IT WILL START PICKING IT UP AND YOU CAN SOON FIND YOUR LOCATION!!!

AND FINALLY...>THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED THEIR TIME AND EFFORTS INTO MAKING THE OMNIA THE BEST badword PHONE EVER!! [until the HD one comes out :excl: ]

Guest theidoctor.org
Samsung's May 11th ROM update is supposed to give "Improved GPS Functionality" to the i910, so hopefully that will take care of some of these problems :excl:

Awesome!!! i cant wait

Guest billquinn1
I am having problems with email and texting on mine. with texting my girlfriend would text me twice, i would get the notice on the today screen of the 2 messages go in see both messages and the notification would go away. but now i haft to go in read 1 message exit out and go back in to get rid of the notification message. with email before i could send and recieve but after, i can recieve but i cant send. i need to check on my girlfriends phone and see if hers works (havent flashed hers yet).

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?...........Sorry could not resist.

Guest Hasher

Well I could not wait for the official release.. I went ahead and did the upgrade following the instructions using Windows Vista Ultimate x64 and the UMDL program and it worked perfectly. I did this last night around 9:00pm and could not seem to get GPS working. I had restored using SPB and everything else was working perfectly. I then went to bed.. Got up this morning and put it in my car .. turned on IGO8 and wala it found the GPS and ran ..

This now is another successful upgrade and I will be upgrading to the actual release when it comes out as well to know I have the real and not beta version.

Guest necosino

Slow GPS lock? Problem solved: BAF GPS Toggle

Keep it on, running all the time, and it keeps your GPS locked (or at least seeking) sat's. PLUS you can run this with other GPS apps simultaneously (like iGO8). Just pop it onto your home screen, tap it to turn on your GPS, wait for it to get a lock, and then open your GPS app and you'll have an instant lock :excl:

I've been running it for about 40 minutes now with no battery drain :excl:

Guest Solange82200
Slow GPS lock? Problem solved: BAF GPS Toggle

Keep it on, running all the time, and it keeps your GPS locked (or at least seeking) sat's. PLUS you can run this with other GPS apps simultaneously (like iGO8). Just pop it onto your home screen, tap it to turn on your GPS, wait for it to get a lock, and then open your GPS app and you'll have an instant lock :excl:

I've been running it for about 40 minutes now with no battery drain :excl:

Wow, that's great Necosino. It has to do a number on the battery though? I guess I'll give it a shot and see!

Guest Omega Ra

as of right now no battery drain. I installed it too, but only like 20 minutes ago, but I have my home screen plus plus battery drain meter up and there is NADA.

Guest necosino

It has been using very very little battery, actually! Then again, if you are really planning to use this as a car GPS, Id hope you would have a car charger :-) (they're like $3 on ebay, lol)

Guest Aximtreo
If you can't get your GPS to work try going into the program's settings (Live, Google Maps, Tom Tom) and setting GPS to COM 8 and baud 57600.

OK, Iv'e tried everything and I can't get TT7 to recognize the internal GPS. Google maps works great but TomTom just want come on. I can select the internal GPS but no settings are allowed. I have tried the External GPS hack and the settings have no effect at all on TomTom. Any ideas on what do do or I will just have to switch to IGO 8 or Garmin.

Thanks for any help provided. :excl:

OK, I found the problem. I loaded GPS Toggle and it showed 5 sats locked so I knew I was getting a signal. I went to TomTom 7 and selected the other NMEA GPS and it worked. Hopefully this will help other TT7 users with trouble.

Edited by Aximtreo

Guest necosino
Anyone get the GPS to actually receive satellite signals? I can connect with google maps but it never gets any signals.

Did you flash the new rom, then go into settings -> Phone -> GPS -> Location ON, and then do a soft reset?

Most of us (90%+) that flashed have working GPS now :excl:

So yes, we are getting signals, being able to navigate using our favorite softwares (TT, Garmin, iGO8, etc)

Guest Solange82200

Google maps was working great in my house last night, after i finally figured out to zoom in closer to my city. But now this morning, it wouldn't work while I was driving to work. Or at work (at this point inside, but near a window). It's just so hit or miss. I still cant get Live Search to work for me at all.

Guest necosino
Google maps was working great in my house last night, after i finally figured out to zoom in closer to my city. But now this morning, it wouldn't work while I was driving to work. Or at work (at this point inside, but near a window). It's just so hit or miss. I still cant get Live Search to work for me at all.

Scroll up, download the BAF GPS Toggle, install it to your Omnia's SYSTEM (not my storage) and then do a soft reset. You should not have the toggle on your today screen. Click it to turn on your GPS, and within 5-10 minutes you should have at leave 3 sat's locked. Then when you open any GPS program (GMaps, Live, etc) it will find your location within 15 seconds.

I noticed after a retart that after 3 mins I had no sat's. So I turned the toggle to off, then back on, and had an immediate lock on 5 sat's, So I'm guessing it may freeze / not update once in a while, just to make you aware.

Guest Stupiud

Plus one for the good guys!

(installed flawlessly using bootcamp with winxp.)

got 4-7 gps signals sitting in my house while letting windows manage the gps.

Edited by Stupiud

Guest jbrittmartin

i did this registry edit...

all it did was mess up my system settings menu....

how do i fix it back?

do i just add a value in that same place as "Redirect"?

AT HOME SCREEN:

3 TABS:

SAVE CHANGES

AND FINALLY...>THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED THEIR TIME AND EFFORTS INTO MAKING THE OMNIA THE BEST badword PHONE EVER!! [until the HD one comes out :excl: ]

Guest bikercr

Anyone figure out how to word-wrap in the new version of Internet Explorer Mobile? I've got it set on mobile in the View settings. But many websites don't show up as a single column and I have to scroll right and left to read everything.

Thanks!

Guest gotwillk

not sure if this was already asked in the 30+ pages, but will i lose all my settings and installed programs once i flash this new rom? do i have to reconfigure everything and reinstall all my apps?

Guest theidoctor.org
not sure if this was already asked in the 30+ pages, but will i lose all my settings and installed programs once i flash this new rom? do i have to reconfigure everything and reinstall all my apps?

yes you will lose everything! if you want your old settings, do a backup and restore it afterwards...