New ROM for Omnia i910

Guest BamDastard

Guest iccrew98
Icrew, I was thinking of doing a reflash just for the hell of it, to see if it fixes the GPS problems Im having. I have also noticed my phone getting really hot, but I cant remember if it did it before the flash or not. It might have, it might not have, I cant remember for sure. Did you put your phone on Active Sync mode, or Mass Storage mode?

From what I've read, it supposedly doesn't matter. I reset it originally to Mass Storage. I actually didn't change anything on the most recent flash so there is a good chance it was Active Sync if that is the default. And, thinking about it, Active Sync may help, all things considered.

If you haven't had any brick problems, I'd try it again and give it a shot with the default config (sync or mass storage). I must have passed over that step on the second flash so depending on your luck, let everyone know which one you tried.

Also, I did have a few overheat moments originally before the new firmware. It would overheat when an app was running and it wouldn't recover from sleep mode. Randomly it would overheat while using an app (such as google maps). It wasn't frequent but enough. I also had the issue with returning from sleep mode happen but not as much as it did with the re-flash.

Guest iccrew98

The other thing I want to note is that GPS is a bit flaky at times. I was out all day today and definitely had issues with connecting to satellites. I was on the metro and obviously I'd have zero... but once I made it outside, it would never connect. I would shut down Google Maps and open again. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. Also, when it would work, Latitude wouldn't be that great. It would find me 4-5 blocks away.

Again, this could just be Google Maps but from what I've read, once GPS is on, it isn't super reliable.

I'll do a little more research tomorrow.

Some additional details if you've missed them from other posts:

The camera app doesn't do geotagging

The xt9 isn't as great as it once was. When choosing ghi, it auto chooses g. It never did. Common words aren't great either.

There is still a fair amount of lag when using the browser.

Weather bug is still very spotty. It used to cause overheats and the like but I stopped it on the home screen now. I'll try that tomorrow to find out more.

Things in general seem a bit laggy. Clicking to choose another type of keypad is slow. Active Sync constantly opens without any interaction.

Battery life is very poor. My buddy's iPhone lasted much longer today. To last 4 hours before you're notifying someone of a low batter is poor.

Requests???

Can notifications let me know I have a voicemail? Samsung and Verizon are definitely developing this software independently and it is very frustrating.

Allow for every app to have a today screen icon. Very helpful since you can add them to the start menu.

For god sakes, allow others to create good quick widgets which have access to content!!!

The way you add contacts in new text messages or other contact situations is very very slow and archaic.

I have more and will add them later when I remember......

Guest intersys

Successfully flashed last week. Found out that Qik doesn't work with leaked rom. Screen goes to laandscape mode with white screen and hangs. After quitting app and trying camera - get msg - camera module not found. Also - auto tilt gets turned off. Have to soft reset and reset auto til.

Guest Tony913

Hi All! New to the whole modding thing (except with PSP). I am a mac user, always have been. It it impossible to flash the new Omnia i910 rom without having a PC? And when Samsung does come out with the official rom, would someone have to go through this same flashing process? Or will it flash some other automatic way like the PSP does over WIFI? Thanks!

Guest kidkitna
Successfully flashed last week. Found out that Qik doesn't work with leaked rom. Screen goes to laandscape mode with white screen and hangs. After quitting app and trying camera - get msg - camera module not found. Also - auto tilt gets turned off. Have to soft reset and reset auto til.

You're going to have to get boot camp and install either Windows XP or Vista to get the flash done. It's not going to happen on Mac OS X. I had the same problem but I just used boot camp and XP to get the new rom.

Guest wamsille

I flashed this ROM to my Omnia on Friday. I upgraded to the device in March after trying out the Vogue and not liking the sluggishness of the device, even after flashing it to a 6.5 beta. Let me start by saying I believe this is a quality ROM and you won't hear me complain (too much :excl: ) about the usability of this release.

Any relatively safe way to upgrade for better performance or to tweak and improve my device is something I'm willing to consider. What I didn't think of nor realize until it was too late was that VZ Navigator doesn't work after applying this update. Oh, I tried re-flashing the device and "hard resetting" the device to clear the memory. I installed the app from the icon in the main menu as well as through VZ App Zone. Neither option worked.

So why did you do the upgrade if you didn't want to lose VZ Nav?

It's the principle of paying for a device and getting a feature that should have been unlocked from the beginning freed. I didn't realize I would lose VZ Nav - there were a number of responses related to it early on and it seemed to work for people after they received an error that the GPS couldn't be initialized. I figured I would receive a similar result. I don't mind spending $10 a month for a service that can offer turn-by-turn directions - Google Maps cannot offer this.

My device is by no means "bricked" - it works flawlessly (aside from VZ Nav) as a phone and I've had no drops in data speed / connectivity. And, most importantly, the GPS does work with 3rd party applications and services. That is a really great benefit and I'm by no means going to discredit those that did the research and put this together. I hope the official release does come out the week of May 11th as is rumored to be the case. I have a wedding that I'm in two weeks after where I'm driving 4+ hours out of my way and I've never been there. It would be nice to get my turn by turn directions back.

Alternatively, if someone can lead me to a better solution alternative I'm open to considerations & suggestions. I'm willing to pay for a program that is easy to install and load on to my phone if it will offer me the same (if not better) functionality for my device. I don't mind paying for the application, so please no torrent links or warez.

Guest Adrynalyne
The blinking/spinning/flashing progress wheel relates to the weather bug. You can actually drag the wheel over to the widget bar and the weather bug widget icon will show up. This started happening to me a few days after the flash process. Basically the weather bug is malfunctioning. if you don't want to see the progress wheel, you can move it over to the widget bar and you wont see it.

if anyone can figure out how to fix it, please let everyone know.

Its not weatherbug, because it shows up on my cooked roms, too.

Guest Adrynalyne
Am I the only one experiencing the blinking / flashing progress wheel?

It blinks on and off every few minutes, even if there are no noticeable applications running.

This is by far the most irritating thing I've experienced with this ROM.

Does anyone know how to simply DISABLE the progress wheel?

filesys.exe is doing it.

Not sure if it can be fixed though.

Guest Omega Ra

Get IGO. works well. and when you buy it the install is simple...you just plug in the sd card it comes on and you are good to go. I believe the American version is called OCN8..either way works great

Guest Solange82200

As far as I know, VZ Nav does not work for anyone on this ROM. I miss it as well, but you gotta take the good with the bad...

Guest necosino
As far as I know, VZ Nav does not work for anyone on this ROM. I miss it as well, but you gotta take the good with the bad...

You guys are nuts, IMO!!! VZNav is worthless compared to TomTom7, iGo8, or Garmin. Honestly, even if you get it off a torrent to try it out, its worth it to try, and then when you see the difference, you will have no issues paying for the license :excl:

As for vznav, they're either going to need to unlock aGPS, or make a new version of vznav, which will probably be in their "official" release.

Guest aleis
I flashed this ROM to my Omnia on Friday. I upgraded to the device in March after trying out the Vogue and not liking the sluggishness of the device, even after flashing it to a 6.5 beta. Let me start by saying I believe this is a quality ROM and you won't hear me complain (too much :excl: ) about the usability of this release.

Any relatively safe way to upgrade for better performance or to tweak and improve my device is something I'm willing to consider. What I didn't think of nor realize until it was too late was that VZ Navigator doesn't work after applying this update. Oh, I tried re-flashing the device and "hard resetting" the device to clear the memory. I installed the app from the icon in the main menu as well as through VZ App Zone. Neither option worked.

So why did you do the upgrade if you didn't want to lose VZ Nav?

It's the principle of paying for a device and getting a feature that should have been unlocked from the beginning freed. I didn't realize I would lose VZ Nav - there were a number of responses related to it early on and it seemed to work for people after they received an error that the GPS couldn't be initialized. I figured I would receive a similar result. I don't mind spending $10 a month for a service that can offer turn-by-turn directions - Google Maps cannot offer this.

My device is by no means "bricked" - it works flawlessly (aside from VZ Nav) as a phone and I've had no drops in data speed / connectivity. And, most importantly, the GPS does work with 3rd party applications and services. That is a really great benefit and I'm by no means going to discredit those that did the research and put this together. I hope the official release does come out the week of May 11th as is rumored to be the case. I have a wedding that I'm in two weeks after where I'm driving 4+ hours out of my way and I've never been there. It would be nice to get my turn by turn directions back.

Alternatively, if someone can lead me to a better solution alternative I'm open to considerations & suggestions. I'm willing to pay for a program that is easy to install and load on to my phone if it will offer me the same (if not better) functionality for my device. I don't mind paying for the application, so please no torrent links or warez.

dude, use live search!

i used it when i was lost (intentionally lost lol) and it worked flawlessly!

after a while you may need to load BAF gps toggle cause most of us have.

but once thats on, you can leave it on and it will keep the gps active (no battery drain issue for me) an all is well! :excl:

i believe the sight is wls.live.com

IMO THEE best app out!

free turn by turn!! :excl:

Guest wamsille
You guys are nuts, IMO!!! VZNav is worthless compared to TomTom7, iGo8, or Garmin. Honestly, even if you get it off a torrent to try it out, its worth it to try, and then when you see the difference, you will have no issues paying for the license :excl:

As for vznav, they're either going to need to unlock aGPS, or make a new version of vznav, which will probably be in their "official" release.

VZ Nav is all I've known since I had a device that was capable of using it - this goes back to when I had a basic feature phone. (Oddly a Samsung as well, the SCH-u540) While I may be nuts in your [humble] opinion, The $10 a month fee included software that would be updated incrementally over time and could be transferred over to any device that I would use in the future for the live of the service. For the average consumer, that isn't too shabby. For someone that doesn't have a stand alone GPS unit, doesn't want to carry one with them while they travel, or has multiple vehicles, etc.

Yes, a full-fledged GPS package would better serve just about anyone. I will try one of the mentioned packages to see what would work best. With TomTom I read about screen resolution problems because it wasn't used to handling the landscape mode of the Omnia.

Speaking of iGo - $75 for the 2GB doesn't seem awful, but for what they are charging for the higher up cards it seems like I'd be better served with a stand alone device. (Which is what I'm trying to avoid - I don't need a mounting bracket or anything visible in my car to make it a magnet for theft.)

Guest Solange82200
VZ Nav is all I've known since I had a device that was capable of using it - this goes back to when I had a basic feature phone. (Oddly a Samsung as well, the SCH-u540) While I may be nuts in your [humble] opinion, The $10 a month fee included software that would be updated incrementally over time and could be transferred over to any device that I would use in the future for the live of the service. For the average consumer, that isn't too shabby. For someone that doesn't have a stand alone GPS unit, doesn't want to carry one with them while they travel, or has multiple vehicles, etc.

Yes, a full-fledged GPS package would better serve just about anyone. I will try one of the mentioned packages to see what would work best. With TomTom I read about screen resolution problems because it wasn't used to handling the landscape mode of the Omnia.

Speaking of iGo - $75 for the 2GB doesn't seem awful, but for what they are charging for the higher up cards it seems like I'd be better served with a stand alone device. (Which is what I'm trying to avoid - I don't need a mounting bracket or anything visible in my car to make it a magnet for theft.)

Trust me, you aren't the only one that feels this way. The problem I have with all these different GPS programs is that they aren't reliable to me for some reason. I cant always get them to lock on to a signal. The only one I've gotten to work is Google Maps, and even that is hit or miss, not to mention having to wait 5 or 10 minute just to get a lock. In a real world situation, it just doesnt cut it for me. Say what you will about VZNav, but I could count on it finding me right away anytime, anywhere. For those of you who get gps signal with no problem, I can understand how you feel, but remember not all of us are having the same results.

Guest necosino

You need to keep in mind that it wasnt just vznav that got you a quick lock, it was aGPS (Cell-tower triangulation) which is currently locked out..

Guest omniaK

a very big thank you to everyone who worked on this rom

I flashed with no probs on friday and everything seems to be running just fine :excl:

Guest knotbeerdan

Ok i have the verizon Omnia I910 for anyone that is not sure I just flashed the rom and so far everything is working perfectly. And i like the widgets included for the weather and Live search.

(warning not for the faint of heart) I had a couple errors pop on me and the whole thing froze at the end making me scared to touch anything!!

Guest Solange82200
You need to keep in mind that it wasnt just vznav that got you a quick lock, it was aGPS (Cell-tower triangulation) which is currently locked out..

Trust me, I know. I just wish we could have both, VZ Nav and unlocked GPS. *sigh*