New ROM for Omnia i910

Guest BamDastard

Guest Silvrswt
VZ Nav is all I've known since I had a device that was capable of using it - this goes back to when I had a basic feature phone. (Oddly a Samsung as well, the SCH-u540) While I may be nuts in your [humble] opinion, The $10 a month fee included software that would be updated incrementally over time and could be transferred over to any device that I would use in the future for the live of the service. For the average consumer, that isn't too shabby. For someone that doesn't have a stand alone GPS unit, doesn't want to carry one with them while they travel, or has multiple vehicles, etc.

Yes, a full-fledged GPS package would better serve just about anyone. I will try one of the mentioned packages to see what would work best. With TomTom I read about screen resolution problems because it wasn't used to handling the landscape mode of the Omnia.

Speaking of iGo - $75 for the 2GB doesn't seem awful, but for what they are charging for the higher up cards it seems like I'd be better served with a stand alone device. (Which is what I'm trying to avoid - I don't need a mounting bracket or anything visible in my car to make it a magnet for theft.)

You could do what I did: download Garmin, TomTom, iGo8, etc., and see which one you like the best after a few hours of driving and feature testing. Then delete them, and shell out the money for the one you liked best. Personally, it was iGo8 for me; best reroute time, best battery consumption, most options and best rendering of maps.

Also, as some have mentioned, GPS lock is often a long wait when you initially launch your selected GPS program. To solve this problem, I downloaded GPSGate and created an input from COM 8, Baud 57600 and associated that with a virtual COM2. Once you do that, you can leave GPSGate on all the time and it will seek and lock as it's able with minimal battery use, and you can configure iGo8 (or whichever program you chose) to use the virtual COM and whatever baud works for you. Locks are almost always instant for me now.

Turn by turn directions are great, but compared to most over the counter solutions, VZNav sucked big time.

I am still confused about something; why did you flash to the new ROM knowing to unlock the GPS if you wanted to use VZNav anyway? The whole reason I flashed was to get rid of that POS program and the fees associated with it. I can't imagine having to use that garbage (and pay for it) again, ever.

Guest GlassEyedPete

Could somebody go into their settings, and then go to phone, change thier ringtone and press ok.

My screen doesn't close when I press ok and I can't change the ringtone. I may need to reflash. It does recognize that I have other ringtones, but I can't select any of them.

Guest hacky-phone

I just got my Phone and new to this link, it might have been posted somewhere...but for a quick info. have somebody who own 930SC ever tried this and works for them?

I really appreciate any input for I can't wait to have mine BRICKED...

Thanks...

SoftBank:

X01HT & X05HT: Bricked WM5.0 and WM6.0

English ROM "Works like a charm"

Guest theidoctor.org
I just got my Phone and new to this link, it might have been posted somewhere...but for a quick info. have somebody who own 930SC ever tried this and works for them?

I really appreciate any input for I can't wait to have mine BRICKED...

Thanks...

SoftBank:

X01HT & X05HT: Bricked WM5.0 and WM6.0

English ROM "Works like a charm"

this update is for a samsung i910... it will not work on anything else...

Guest guitar8222

I really need help. My phone flashed fine yesterday. It worked great for about 4 hours. Then the battery got low and the touch screen stopped responding. I charged it, did a hard reset and nothing. Everything else except the touchscreen seems to be fine. I just reflashed the phone and I still don't have any touch response. The buttons work normal and everything, but I can't use the screen. What else can I do or is my phone gone?

Edited by guitar8222

Guest necosino
I really need help. My phone flashed fine yesterday. It worked great for about 4 hours. Then the battery got low and the touch screen stopped responding. I charged it, did a hard reset and nothing. Everything else except the touchscreen seems to be fine. I just reflashed the phone and I still don't have any touch response. The buttons work normal and everything, but I can't use the screen. What else can I do or is my phone gone?

Next to the power button is a reset hole. Stick the stylus in there and hold it for about 30 seconds and then release. This will reset the hardware (NOT A HARD RESET) and should take care of the problem.

Guest guitar8222
Next to the power button is a reset hole. Stick the stylus in there and hold it for about 30 seconds and then release. This will reset the hardware (NOT A HARD RESET) and should take care of the problem.

Thanks, but that was the first thing I tried. I also did a hard reset holding that in and the send/end buttons. I could still get around with the mouse sensor so I did a hard reset from the software as well. I also tried pulling the battery out overnight. None of that worked and I reflashed the rom (twice now) and also tried wozzer's rom. I also tried selecting the phone bootloader update option.

I think it is gone because my screen won't respond to any touch. It's really annoying becuase the phone is obviously still working.

Guest Matticus

I ran into this situation about a month after obtaining my first Omnia. This was prior to any re-flashing or anything else. I soft reset, hard reset, and came very close to doing a "high speed smash on a concrete floor" reset, but instead I elected instead to go talk to the crazy kids at the local VZW store. They said "Yeah, we've heard about this happening." and handed me a new one without doing anything more than, well, touching the screen and agreeing with the fact it wasn't functioning. Not necessarily the answer you wanted I don't think, but it is the insight I have into the issue.

Guest guitar8222
I ran into this situation about a month after obtaining my first Omnia. This was prior to any re-flashing or anything else. I soft reset, hard reset, and came very close to doing a "high speed smash on a concrete floor" reset, but instead I elected instead to go talk to the crazy kids at the local VZW store. They said "Yeah, we've heard about this happening." and handed me a new one without doing anything more than, well, touching the screen and agreeing with the fact it wasn't functioning. Not necessarily the answer you wanted I don't think, but it is the insight I have into the issue.

Ok, well if it is a normal issue not related to the flash I am going to stop messing with it then. I was hoping to get it working before resorting to two hours at the store. I guess I don't have a choice. I guess they won't be able to tell the new firmware is on there anyhow since the screen is stuck on the calibration stage.

Edited by guitar8222

Guest krelvinaz

Curious if anyone has a problem with the phone going into Emergency Mode after making a BlueTooth Call?

I can repeat this by simply doing a soft-reset, turning on Blue Tooth, turning on my headset and making a call. When the call ends a short bit later a bubble pops up saying the phone is in Emergency Mode and can only make Emergency Calls. This won't go away until your soft-reset the phone.

Normal calls, without BT work fine.

Guest Solange82200
You could do what I did: download Garmin, TomTom, iGo8, etc., and see which one you like the best after a few hours of driving and feature testing. Then delete them, and shell out the money for the one you liked best. Personally, it was iGo8 for me; best reroute time, best battery consumption, most options and best rendering of maps.

Also, as some have mentioned, GPS lock is often a long wait when you initially launch your selected GPS program. To solve this problem, I downloaded GPSGate and created an input from COM 8, Baud 57600 and associated that with a virtual COM2. Once you do that, you can leave GPSGate on all the time and it will seek and lock as it's able with minimal battery use, and you can configure iGo8 (or whichever program you chose) to use the virtual COM and whatever baud works for you. Locks are almost always instant for me now.

Turn by turn directions are great, but compared to most over the counter solutions, VZNav sucked big time.

I am still confused about something; why did you flash to the new ROM knowing to unlock the GPS if you wanted to use VZNav anyway? The whole reason I flashed was to get rid of that POS program and the fees associated with it. I can't imagine having to use that garbage (and pay for it) again, ever.

I am trying out Igo8 with north american maps, but I dont see any evidence that it's located me. How can you tell? I did go in the GPS settings and it says that the receiver is found, but I see no cursor or anything in my location. This is SOOOOO frustrating. Should I have it set to Com 8 Baud 57600?

Guest blazingwolf
Could somebody go into their settings, and then go to phone, change thier ringtone and press ok.

My screen doesn't close when I press ok and I can't change the ringtone. I may need to reflash. It does recognize that I have other ringtones, but I can't select any of them.

Sounds like you have a ROM issue. It works fine for me.

Guest blazingwolf
I am trying out Igo8 with north american maps, but I dont see any evidence that it's located me. How can you tell? I did go in the GPS settings and it says that the receiver is found, but I see no cursor or anything in my location. This is SOOOOO frustrating. Should I have it set to Com 8 Baud 57600?

Has it actually acquired a lock? It won't show where you are at until it acquires a lock.

Guest guitar8222

I think I got Igo working without setting the com ports or it was windows managed. Since my phone is done for I don't know for sure. I set up everything via the control panel using the disable redirect registry setting listed earlier in this thread.

For Garmin and live local I set it to windows managed and they worked perfect. The garmin software wouldn't work with it set to com8. For google maps I did have to have it to com 8 baud 57600.

Guest wamsille
You need to keep in mind that it wasnt just vznav that got you a quick lock, it was aGPS (Cell-tower triangulation) which is currently locked out..

I'm aware that aGPS is locked out - otherwise the thread would be entitled GPS AND aGPS Unlocked OMGWTFBBQ!!!.

Or something like that - pardon my attempt at humor.

I'm going to the Cardinals game tonight so I'll try the GPS out for me while I'm riding shotgun to see if the routing is accurate and the lock is quick.

Guest hacky-phone

That means I am stuck with what I have, that's sucks....I thought Samsung i910 is the Softbank Japanese Version 930SC?

Hope they could make a ROM for this as well I would be looking forward into that...

this update is for a samsung i910... it will not work on anything else...

Guest zmaker123

I have downloaded all of the files that were available. However, I seem to be missing th actual program that uploads the ROM to the Omnia. Where do I get this program?

Guest zmaker123
In the first posting of this thread...

UMDL_OMNIA_v2.3.rar

Thanks for the reply. However, this is not a MS Windows executable program. How do I run it?

Guest jcortes
Thanks for the reply. However, this is not a MS Windows executable program. How do I run it?

It is an archive file similar to .ZIP go to www.rarlabs.com and download winrar to open it.

Guest Silvrswt

RAR is a type of compression, similar to ZIP. You need to get a program that will extract the EXE from the RAR archive; I use 7-zip since it is free, and awesome.

Guest josiah1983

i am having a problem after updating to the newest firmware i can't access the internet on my omnia i910. i'm just wondering if i overlooked something. i'm just wondering if i need to call verizon tech support to authenticate my phone or if someone else can help me that would be great. nevermind i got it working

Edited by josiah1983

Guest wamsille
I'm going to the Cardinals game tonight so I'll try the GPS out for me while I'm riding shotgun to see if the routing is accurate and the lock is quick.

I'm going to need to go to a commercial GPS package or wait for an official Verizon Omnia i910 firmware update release and get VZ Nav back. It took me five tries under a clear sky (five minutes each, nearly half an hour total) to get a lock with GPS. Live Search was buggy at best, and while using it to get me to Busch Stadium my cursor went off the highway and Live Search asked me if I'm lost. I exited out of the program and went to Google Maps, that kept up with me for 90% of the way but no turn by turn directions. At least with Google maps the data connection for the maps kept up with my driving - Live had issues loading up the map and at times bits and pieces of the screen were at different zoom levels and/or highly pixelated.

When either Google Maps or Live Search worked, I was happy. (More with Google Maps than Live Search, actually) I was hoping for better results, but this was just a test. I have another month to go before I have to make a really tough decision.