New ROM for Omnia i910

Guest BamDastard

Guest Solange82200
Wam, definitely invest in a nice GPS package. I use iGO 8 (Upgrading to Amigo shortly) and it pays for itself in no time :excl:

Ahh, it's so frustrating to me reading about this lol. It's not the package, it's either our phones or the area we live in. Ive tried Igo8 (I was planning to buy it, but not before I could confirm if it worked). I couldnt get it to connect not once. It sounds like Wam is having similar issues to me. I dont get why some of us are having such a hard time with this. I was able to connect to Google Maps once in a while, but most of the time I get a message telling me that there is Weak Satellite Signal. If it was something wrong with my phone, I would think it wouldnt connect at all, right? I dont know what to think any more. I would gladly pay for something that could just connect to a freaking satellite.

Guest QRULEZ
Yeah, I was going to start looking at it. I have already downloaded SztupY's kitchen but I have to start reading to figure it all out. I would really like to get WM6.5 on our devices. :excl:

Blazingwolf,

First I wanted to thank you for your dedication to the forums and your great ROM! I have been trying to disect a wm6.5 port for the i900 and put it back together for the i910. Wondered if you have made any progress on this?

Guest wamsille
Ahh, it's so frustrating to me reading about this lol. It's not the package, it's either our phones or the area we live in. Ive tried Igo8 (I was planning to buy it, but not before I could confirm if it worked). I couldnt get it to connect not once. It sounds like Wam is having similar issues to me. I dont get why some of us are having such a hard time with this. I was able to connect to Google Maps once in a while, but most of the time I get a message telling me that there is Weak Satellite Signal. If it was something wrong with my phone, I would think it wouldnt connect at all, right? I dont know what to think any more. I would gladly pay for something that could just connect to a freaking satellite.

I can get a lock in my area in about a minute - roughly 4-6 sats. When I travel back and forth between home and work (10 miles) I'm located within 20 meters and I'm generally in sync with the blue dot on Google Maps, or triangle with Live. As soon as I ventured across the river into Missouri, namely the St. Louis metro area things changed up a bit. Live acted wonky (data connection possibly?) yet Google Maps worked for the most part - I wasn't even using sat view / aerial view in either program so I couldn't figure out what the discrepancy is/was.

Hopefully an update is coming in a few weeks. I would like to be 'warranty-friendly' again or be able to switch back and forth as needed.

Guest Solange82200
That's basically just for the i900s, or if you're traveling in a roaming data area. Wouldn't do a whole lot for us.

Thanks for the quick response, Im glad I asked before doing it lol

Guest blazingwolf
Blazingwolf,

First I wanted to thank you for your dedication to the forums and your great ROM! I have been trying to disect a wm6.5 port for the i900 and put it back together for the i910. Wondered if you have made any progress on this?

No, I haven't. Been working hard on it too. I am still working on it but I have no idea how long it is going to take me. I'm a newb to the actual porting of ROMs so I'm not as fast as some of the others. Hopefully, I will get there soon. :excl:

Guest syrguy1969

What I have found to help an enormous amount is GPSGate. I keep it running in the background, and as long as I am under a clear sky, I get a GPS hit within seconds almost every time. Like you guys, I was waiting for minutes, and sometimes it would never connect!!

Guest Solange82200

OK, I read somewhere about a program called GPSgate. I installed it and it is saying "GPS data but no position". From what Ive read, that means that my phone isnt the problem, its just the area Im in. Can anyone confirm this?

Guest krelvinaz

GPS data but no position - means it sees sats, but does not have enough sats yet to get a position. You need at least 2 or more to start calculating a position, the more the more accurate.

Edited by krelvinaz

Guest marcv23
I'm going to need to go to a commercial GPS package or wait for an official Verizon Omnia i910 firmware update release and get VZ Nav back. It took me five tries under a clear sky (five minutes each, nearly half an hour total) to get a lock with GPS. Live Search was buggy at best, and while using it to get me to Busch Stadium my cursor went off the highway and Live Search asked me if I'm lost. I exited out of the program and went to Google Maps, that kept up with me for 90% of the way but no turn by turn directions. At least with Google maps the data connection for the maps kept up with my driving - Live had issues loading up the map and at times bits and pieces of the screen were at different zoom levels and/or highly pixelated.

When either Google Maps or Live Search worked, I was happy. (More with Google Maps than Live Search, actually) I was hoping for better results, but this was just a test. I have another month to go before I have to make a really tough decision.

Any idea when Verizon will release an official i910 ROM update? I just came across this thread and am debating flashing my phone with this ROM or an official release (if it comes soon) :excl:

Guest necosino
I just got off the phone with Verizon no one would confirm or deny the release of updated firmware.

Customer Service Rep's (CSRs) rarely get ahead notice of new firmware updates, and usually find out a couple of days before the release (I used to be a TomTom CSR), so they're not the people to ask. Some of the technical / repair personnell may have more knowledge, especially if they are involved in developement, or have access to business-sensitive information (Which CSR's don't). This is why the person that leaked the CC20 rom was able to, he's a samsung authorized service technicial, with access to samsung's database.

As he said, there is another release slated for May 11, 2009, which should offer "improved GPS functionality."

CSRs are worthless unless you want a discount, refund, or have simple questions :excl:

Guest ccrsems5

I flashed successfully, things are good, except for a few troubling issues I haven't seen here yet...

I have had to hard reset numerous times due to freeze-ups. I have not been able to connect any particular software to this. I always install SPB Pocket plus, SPB Weather, and SPB Mobile Shell. Before the flash, I had NO problems with phone. Oh yeah, Samsung Today 2 also.

Now, bottom of phone gets Very hot, specific programs freeze, like opera, and now text messaging (very slow to open, but will after 4 or 5 minutes!)

Anyone have any reccomendations? I am getting tired of constantly reloading software, etc.

I also bought the new SPB Mobile shell 3, it is awesome!

Edited by ccrsems5

Guest krelvinaz
Anyone have any reccomendations? I am getting tired of constantly reloading software, etc.

I also bought the new SPB Mobile shell 3, it is awesome!

Make sure you have done a reset (using the reset pin) NOT A HARD RESET.... sometimes doing a Soft Reset via software doesn't quite do it. Without touching anything else, just press the reset button with a pin or the stylus and it will do a soft reset.

*edit* reread and you said you had done hard resets so the above would not matter.

I don't use the Samsung Today 2 stuff though.

The only real issues that I've had with the Leaked Rom are:

o GPS Assist not working. Not really a big deal since the Official Rom will hopefully fix that. I have a real GPS in my truck for navigation.

o Making a call using BT causes the phone after the call to say it is in Emegency Mode (Just tried this the other day and was surprised no one else has said anything about it... so it might be some software I have.

o Keyboard auto save which I don't use (I use Spb Keyboard instead).

The unit does get hotter, but then if you are using the GPS that would be expected. Also, if you use the Net a lot it will get warm as well.

I just got a second phone that I plan on using for building and testing Roms builds with, so I have both a flashed and original phone. I'm thinking of going back (switching phones) to the Original to see until the official rom come out.

The emergency mode is an issue as I use the BT in the Car alot. So I am going to load up the second phone and use it until the new rom is out.

Edited by krelvinaz

Guest hogan036
Make sure you have done a reset (using the reset pin) NOT A HARD RESET.... sometimes doing a Soft Reset via software doesn't quite do it. Without touching anything else, just press the reset button with a pin or the stylus and it will do a soft reset.

*edit* reread and you said you had done hard resets so the above would not matter.

I don't use the Samsung Today 2 stuff though.

The only real issues that I've had with the Leaked Rom are:

o GPS Assist not working. Not really a big deal since the Official Rom will hopefully fix that. I have a real GPS in my truck for navigation.

o Making a call using BT causes the phone after the call to say it is in Emegency Mode (Just tried this the other day and was surprised no one else has said anything about it... so it might be some software I have.

o Keyboard auto save which I don't use (I use Spb Keyboard instead).

The unit does get hotter, but then if you are using the GPS that would be expected. Also, if you use the Net a lot it will get warm as well.

I just got a second phone that I plan on using for building and testing Roms builds with, so I have both a flashed and original phone. I'm thinking of going back (switching phones) to the Original to see until the official rom come out.

The emergency mode is an issue as I use the BT in the Car alot. So I am going to load up the second

phone and use it until the new rom is out.

Got new Rom yesterday and exectued it , all is still working perfectly and Google Maps works like a charm, Live is was more of a pain, i could not and still cannot get the Locate button too work, it says it cant find me. I however was able too go into the maps and have it search for me there and it finds me, i do not know why the Locate button still does not work yet? I do have the latest upgrade and i have tried both com 8 and GPS Intermediate Drive both actually work if i use the maps portion of the program so i can't complain too much.

The hardest thing i found really about flashing the rom was trying too find the program that would open up the RAR file, lol nobody said anything about having too get a program too open that up, they just said open the file up and when i did that windows did not have a program too do that, so i went on a search and found the program, not too much of a big deal but it would have been helpfull if it was put in a post for me and other newbies.

All in all i am very satisfied with the new Rom and very happy too be able too use the functionality of my Omnia as it should be, with third party apps.

Guest Solange82200

Ok, Im trying not to get my hopes up too much, but this is what happened this afternoon. I saw that someone in another forum said that I should put my External GPS settings to Com 4 for the program port, Com 9 for the hardware point (which seems to change back to none for some reason), and Baud rate at 4800. I installed GPS gate at work and left it on during my drive home. It kept saying "GPS data but no position". When I would get in really tree lined streets, it would change to No Data at all. Which at least let me know that it's working.

Then after about 30 minutes, it turns green and it says "GPS data with valid position"! I had the amaze gps cab still on my micro sd card, so I quickly installed it, and it found me right away and stayed that way! Even now Im in my house, I have soft reset my phone, and I am still getting found with gps gate and amaze! This is the first time Ive had any luck with this, so I am really excited!

Syrguy, I just saw your post about GPSgate right before mine lol. What do you think it does exactly to help us get locks? My battery seems to have gone down 50 percent on my drive home, does GPS gate eat a lot of battery life? Regardless, Im just glad to finally be making some progress!

Edit: Oh. my. god. I installed Igo8, and it freaking found me! IN MY HOUSE!!!!!!! I cant believe this. Could it really have been just gpsgate that I needed all this time???????????????????????

Edited by Solange82200

Guest bga7x

ok guys i have searched this whole thread i have vista and i cant get the UMDL to recognize my phone.......and yes before you ask i unchecked "allow usb connection" in my active sync!!! I have followed all the steps in the pdf download when i start the installer and and turn on my phone it just says that my phone wasn't detected. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance

Edited by bga7x

Guest ren74
ok guys i have searched this whole thread i have vista and i cant get the UMDL to recognize my phone.......and yes before you ask i unchecked "allow usb connection" in my active sync!!! I have followed all the steps in the pdf download when i start the installer and and turn on my phone it just says that my phone wasn't detected. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance

Just to check, you did install the samsung driver and uncheck active sync usb connections through mobile device manager, right?

Guest bga7x
Just to check, you did install the samsung driver and uncheck active sync usb connections through mobile device manager, right?

Yeah I did that i just get this message!

Rvalue null.. ack recive Faile

PDA Device not found.

PDA Device not found.

Guest bga7x
Turn your phone off.

Off!

Take the battery out, then put it back in.

So many people turn their screen off, but not the phone.

yeah did that too!!!

This is what I did with Vista..

I did a HARD RESET on my phone before I started.. that wiped out my phone however, my storage and my storage card was not touched

install software from the VZAccess Manager Software CD for Samsung Omnia modem drivers

restart computer...

Start WINDOWS MOBILE DEVICE CENTER WITHOUT, WITHOUT!!! the phone connected goto Mobile Device Settings, Connection Settings and uncheck the "allow usb connections"

close WINDOWS MOBILE DEVICE CENTER (you will not use it anymore)

start UMDL_OMNIA2.3

Select the file as stated in the instructions

Hit the detect button

TURN OFF YOUR PHONE!! NOT JUST THE BACKLIGHT.. HOLD THE TOP BUTTON DOWN FOR 5 SECONDS UNTIL THE VERIZON CLOSING SCREEN COMES ON AND THE PHONE POWERS DOWN

now connect your phone to the usb cable and hold the power button down for 5 seconds to turn your phone back on

you will then see in UMDL_OMNIA2.3 that 1 device was detected and the ROM and other files are being copied/written/deleted.. all that good stuff.. took like 10 mins..

You will then see on the UMDL_OMNIA2.3 under Device 1 JOB DONE.. Phone will restart.. the restart takes a few mins.. DONT PANIC!!

Did that and it still cant find my phone!!!! I give up I think until tomorrow!!