New ROM for Omnia i910

Guest BamDastard

Guest Towelie

I consider myself pretty good with computers, having figured out how to do some coold things with my Samsung a990 back in the day, and managing to convert all kinds of video files. But that is nothing compared to this stuff..

I don't understand half of this stuff in the PDF. I have Vista, and my samsung i910. Is there anyone out there who is willing to walk me through this via AIM? I swear I would gift you a 1,000 point game on Wiiware or virtual console if you happen to own a Wii.. lol I know that sounds crazy but that's really the only way I could repay a willing soul. And I really would like to be able to reward the person for taking some time to help me out.

I guess what I mostly need to know is what I need to start. If anyone out there is willing, IM me.

My AIM name is Lysergical. I'll be signed on all night. If you're willing to help me we'll exchange wii console codes and I'll send you a game of your choosing if you can get it working for me successfully!

Guest nycwiz17

Hi guys

Thank you for all the hard work you've putting into this.

I'm really a newbie at all this and I need your help.

I did the theidoctor thing and I got the new widgets (windows live and weatherbug), but the gps is still not working for my google maps. What should I do now?

Guest blazingwolf
Hi guys

I did the theidoctor thing and I got the new widgets (windows live and weatherbug), but the gps is still not working for my google maps. What should I do now?

First, did you turn location to on in Phone Settings?

Second, did you go outside and wait 10 to 20 minutes with google maps running?

Guest Towelie
you dont want your phone setting on active sync...

the only reason you do is in the beginning when you want to connect to your computer viz usb to download the drivers...

but take it from me. dont even bother. Download the drivers from the VZaccess CD... the one that came in the RED sleeve.... when you put it in and click next, the very first thing should be the USB driver....

once you download it, restart your computer...

then MAKE SURE you DONT allow active sync to connect via USB AND that your phone's setting is on Mass Storage and NOT Active sync....

it should work good after that....

Can't figure out how to get my phone to detect. I've installed the drivers from the disc that came with the phone (even though I thought that since I'm using Vista, it auto-downloads those drivers). I'm doing everything right down to the nitty gritty as the pdf says. What am I missing?

I unchecked the box next to "allow usb connections" in Windows Mobile Device Center settings (once again, I'm using Vista). I turned my phone's usb setting to "Mass Storage". Any help would be so great????

Guest Omega Ra
Can't figure out how to get my phone to detect. I've installed the drivers from the disc that came with the phone (even though I thought that since I'm using Vista, it auto-downloads those drivers). I'm doing everything right down to the nitty gritty as the pdf says. What am I missing?

I unchecked the box next to "allow usb connections" in Windows Mobile Device Center settings (once again, I'm using Vista). I turned my phone's usb setting to "Mass Storage". Any help would be so great????

did you turn your phone OFF...not just the screen, hold the button until the power off .gif shows up. Then hit detect in UMDL, plug in phone and turn on phone..

Guest Towelie
did you turn your phone OFF...not just the screen, hold the button until the power off .gif shows up. Then hit detect in UMDL, plug in phone and turn on phone..

Yes that's precisely how I'm doing it. I am aware of how to power the phone off. What did you mean when you said .gif shows up? Could you elaborate further on that please?

Guest blazingwolf
Yes that's precisely how I'm doing it. I am aware of how to power the phone off. What did you mean when you said .gif shows up? Could you elaborate further on that please?

The .gif is the shutdown animation.

Have you tried restarting your computer?

Edited by blazingwolf

Guest sueme05
I consider myself pretty good with computers, having figured out how to do some coold things with my Samsung a990 back in the day, and managing to convert all kinds of video files. But that is nothing compared to this stuff..

I don't understand half of this stuff in the PDF. I have Vista, and my samsung i910. Is there anyone out there who is willing to walk me through this via AIM? I swear I would gift you a 1,000 point game on Wiiware or virtual console if you happen to own a Wii.. lol I know that sounds crazy but that's really the only way I could repay a willing soul. And I really would like to be able to reward the person for taking some time to help me out.

I guess what I mostly need to know is what I need to start. If anyone out there is willing, IM me.

My AIM name is Lysergical. I'll be signed on all night. If you're willing to help me we'll exchange wii console codes and I'll send you a game of your choosing if you can get it working for me successfully!

i'll walk you through if you'd like...

you dont even have to give me anything in return <_<

i did mine on my laptop which is 32bit vista...

im off at 5 tomorrow so maybe a couple hours after that?

email me...

[email protected]

Guest sueme05
Hi guys

remember that you have a PHONE :-P not a GPS device like Tom Tom...

i noticed with mine, i didn't get any signal at all in the house...

as soon as i was on the road... to AND from work.. i was able to get several satalites...

make sure that when you open google maps, you go into your menu and make sure that "Use GPS" is checked...

and if you go right under it, the "Options" try letting windows detect settings if that still doesn't work, then try manually setting it...

it seems alot of ppl have found com 8 and 57600 work for them...

for me, i let windows detect and it worked fine..

but again

just remember it's a phone still...

it probably isn't going to pick up the satalites as well as TomTom or Garmin... and etc.

Guest Towelie

GOT THE UPDATE WORKING!!!!!

Now what is google maps and how do I get it?

Is it accessed through the Opera Browser or can I download it from here?

Is it a .cab file program? (I've had good luck with the .cab games before I updated)

Guest Towelie

What do ya know? I answered my own question again. Just found 7 gps satellites!

Anyone need help I would be so glad to guide you through it.

BIG THANKS TO ALL!

Guest sueme05
GOT THE UPDATE WORKING!!!!!

Now what is google maps and how do I get it?

Is it accessed through the Opera Browser or can I download it from here?

Is it a .cab file program? (I've had good luck with the .cab games before I updated)

woo hooo!!!

<_<

just for anyone else who wants Google Maps

you can download it through opera...

or if you go here...

http://www.google.com/mobile/default/maps.html

or

m.google.com/maps

you can type your number in and itll send you the link i believe...

i downloaded mine by just going to Google.com on the phone using opera and searching for google maps....

the link i wanted was a few links down....

have fun!

make sure you enable your GPS on your phone to be on Location and not 911 only :)

Edited by sueme05

Guest theidoctor.org
woo hooo!!!

<_<

just for anyone else who wants Google Maps

you can download it through opera...

or if you go here...

http://www.google.com/mobile/default/maps.html

or

m.google.com/maps

you can type your number in and itll send you the link i believe...

i downloaded mine by just going to Google.com on the phone using opera and searching for google maps....

the link i wanted was a few links down....

have fun!

make sure you enable your GPS on your phone to be on Location and not 911 only :)

great post!

Guest Romezone

I also have the same issue as younggunna23 and i just cant get it to detect my phone.. I do everything it tells me to do.. I have turned off detect USB in activesync and and i have my Omnia set to Mass storage only as well. Still nothing.. it just doesnt detect it.. I have the samsung Omnia driver installed and i rebooted my PC after I installed it.. should i delete my USB hub and reinstall it as the PDF says too? I did the hard reset as well.. wiped my phone but still nothing.. Ill go over the exact steps i took.. I turned off my phone completely.. Meaning I saw the splash screen and heard the tones for shutting down.. I then ran UMDL and found the image file.. The blue line runs across in the UMDL.. I then Click detect and and plug in my phone.. I then turn it on and on my Phones screen i see a battery meter and it shows like it is being charged.. it then goes blank but i can still see that its on because the red power light is on.. I keep waiting for the UMDL to detect it but it never does.. Am i doing something wrong here?? Oh by the way.. Im running windows Vista

Guest Romezone
I also have the same issue as younggunna23 and i just cant get it to detect my phone.. I do everything it tells me to do.. I have turned off detect USB in activesync and and i have my Omnia set to Mass storage only as well. Still nothing.. it just doesnt detect it.. I have the samsung Omnia driver installed and i rebooted my PC after I installed it.. should i delete my USB hub and reinstall it as the PDF says too? I did the hard reset as well.. wiped my phone but still nothing.. Ill go over the exact steps i took.. I turned off my phone completely.. Meaning I saw the splash screen and heard the tones for shutting down.. I then ran UMDL and found the image file.. The blue line runs across in the UMDL.. I then Click detect and and plug in my phone.. I then turn it on and on my Phones screen i see a battery meter and it shows like it is being charged.. it then goes blank but i can still see that its on because the red power light is on.. I keep waiting for the UMDL to detect it but it never does.. Am i doing something wrong here?? Oh by the way.. Im running windows Vista

Ok so i did some reading and uninstalled all USB Hubs under device manager and reinstalled them.. I then reconnected my Omnia so that the computer detected and loaded the drivers for it.. Saw in under my computer as mass storage.. I use my phone as a modem at times so i connected it just to make sure that the verizon access manager detected it and it did. After this I closed down Verizon access manager, Turned off detect USB Connections under Mobile device manager, and then changed it from Activesync to Mass storage. I then shut down my phone and unplugged it. I loaded up UMDL and loaded the image file. I then Clicked detect and attached my Omnia. I then powered it up and Still it detects nothing.. Just says "Waiting for the device" No error no nothing.. Just hangs there.. Please.. Some help would be great.. Once again.. Im running windows Vista.

Thanks

Edited by Romezone

Guest theidoctor.org
Ok so i did some reading and uninstalled all USB Hubs under device manager and reinstalled them.. I then reconnected my Omnia so that the computer detected and loaded the drivers for it.. Saw in under my computer as mass storage.. I use my phone as a modem at times so i connected it just to make sure that the verizon access manager detected it and it did. After this I closed down Verizon access manager, Turned off detect USB Connections under Mobile device manager, and then changed it from Activesync to Mass storage. I then shut down my phone and unplugged it. I loaded up UMDL and loaded the image file. I then Clicked detect and attached my Omnia. I then powered it up and Still it detects nothing.. Just says "Waiting for the device" No error no nothing.. Just hangs there.. Please.. Some help would be great.. Once again.. Im running windows Vista.

Thanks

your doing it all right it seems, try using a different usb port and possibly a different computer

Guest jblaster

I couldn't find the answers to these questions, so sorry if I am asking something already asked.

I just got my Omnia yesterday, how can I be sure it is compatible with the flash?

Is there a way to backup and restore the original rom?

Is there a way to recover from a bad flash?

Thanks -J

Guest christopher2787

I'm really new to this....

Downloaded all the drivers, unzipped the file but the Mega upload link for the new firmware is a broken link.

How can I get the firmware?

Also the downloader program is a different version than the one listed in PDF instructions v2.3 versus v1.7. Will this be a problem?

post-544449-1243624988_thumb.jpg

Edited by christopher2787

Guest theidoctor.org
I'm really new to this....

Downloaded all the drivers, unzipped the file but the Mega upload link for the new firmware is a broken link.

How can I get the firmware?

Also the downloader program is a different version than the one listed in PDF instructions v2.3 versus v1.7. Will this be a problem?

http://www.theidoctor.org use the links on the right to get the firmware..... and no the installer does not matter.

Edited by theidoctor.org

Guest christopher2787

Thanks for the link. One last question, I'm guessing that I have to use xp to update???? I don't know of a way to install Active Sync 4.5 on Vista as I use Windows Mobile Device Center and the PDF document specifies the need to use Active Sync 4.5. Can someone please advise me about what I need to do.

Guest blazingwolf
Thanks for the link. One last question, I'm guessing that I have to use xp to update???? I don't know of a way to install Active Sync 4.5 on Vista as I use Windows Mobile Device Center and the PDF document specifies the need to use Active Sync 4.5. Can someone please advise me about what I need to do.

You follow the same steps with WMDC as with Acticesync.

Guest Taylor Flyer

Read everything. Follow the instructions. Just do it. I had the phone for 3 days to learn a little about it. Followed the instructions, having never done anything like this before. It worked as advertised. Thanks to everyone for their hard work and advise. Thanks to TheIdoctor.org for making it easy!! Google maps and all other updates work well!! <_<

Guest tkryan
Read everything. Follow the instructions. Just do it. I had the phone for 3 days to learn a little about it. Followed the instructions, having never done anything like this before. It worked as advertised. Thanks to everyone for their hard work and advise. Thanks to TheIdoctor.org for making it easy!! Google maps and all other updates work well!! <_<

I got it! How cool! I wasn't familiar with the unzipping the udlm file format. Once i figured that out it was a breeze.

Guest Chumley23

Worked fine for me! <_<

So fine I had to go back to http://www.theidoctor.org and make a donation!

One question, after I installed the new rom I went to my Spb Backup and rec'd this message:

"ROM version of your device is different from version on which this backup was made. Please

choose the upgrade mode"

and the drop down has three choices

1. Normal Mode

2. ROM upgrade mode

3. Device upgrade mode

Which one do I choose?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to search first.