New ROM for Omnia i910

Guest BamDastard

Guest MrSmoofy

:excl: Happy to report followed the PDF and everything works as advertised didn't have to do anything special. Calling in and out works, data works, and GPS works.

Found all the new features/functions everyone else has reported.

Now for the disappointing news.

GPS seems to be hit or miss. Last night when I flashed it in my house I immediatly got 3-4 satalites and Google Latitudes showed my location to 50 meters.

This morning driving to work it could not get a satalite for about 30 minutes even outside in the car driving around. As I got closer to work it finally started picking some up but still only 3-4 same as being in my house I expected to get more being outside. Now I'm in my office and there are no windows and I'm still havel to get between 2-4 satalites.

Questions are, shouldn't I been getting more outside? Seems I saw some posts saying they were getting 10?

Is there an app that will show what satalites I'm connected to and the strength? My Garmin for my boat has this.

Guest Saluki HHI
This is the error I get, maybe someone can tell me what this means.

AdvancedConfig.exe

TypeLoadException

File or assembly name

'System.Windows.Forms,

Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral,

PublicKey Token=969DB8053D3322AC',

or one of its dependencies, was not

found.

you have to reinstall netcnfg3.5 on your phone again, at least I did.

Chalk up another total success.

And a big thank you to anyone and everyone who helped make this new ROM possible.

I flashed my Omnia last night without a problem, just as the PDF said. I have been following the GPS thread and was very excited that the GPS now works. In face, my wife stole my phone from me and proceeded to run around the house watching the sats track her. :excl: It was very amusing.

KUDOS!

Guest polo2883

I cant get GPS to work with google maps. My location is on, I tried both managed by windows and com 8 with baud of 56700 and still nothing. Any other suggestions?

Guest blazingwolf
I cant get GPS to work with google maps. My location is on, I tried both managed by windows and com 8 with baud of 56700 and still nothing. Any other suggestions?

Yes, go outside and wait 5 to 10 minutes.

Guest WoZZeR999

Since we got the new rom, and it was everything we had hoped for and more, I decided I would take a look into cooking for the i910. Everything went pretty smoothly, and I found that the i900 kitchen seems to work fine (just the programs, you need to make your own XIP/OEM/SYS folders). I have a very basic ROM (PDA Image only), and got it to flash and all that.

I was wondering if anyone else reading this thread was going to get into the wild world of cooking? Hopefully, over the weekend, I can create a basic .bat/.cmd file that will take a renamed .img (the thing you flash with), break it down into it's correct parts, and give you nicely sorted ingredients (is that what the cookers call an uncooked rom?) I was thinking of first starting a i910 *lite* rom, where almost everything is removed. I really only know what I want out of a rom, but don't know what other people want.

I still have lots to read about, and SztupY's automated kitchen seems to work. I just have to change around some of the scripts so that it's more i910 oriented. Does anyone who is reading this thread have any cooking experience that they could help me out with?

Guest blazingwolf
Since we got the new rom, and it was everything we had hoped for and more, I decided I would take a look into cooking for the i910. Everything went pretty smoothly, and I found that the i900 kitchen seems to work fine (just the programs, you need to make your own XIP/OEM/SYS folders). I have a very basic ROM (PDA Image only), and got it to flash and all that.

I was wondering if anyone else reading this thread was going to get into the wild world of cooking? Hopefully, over the weekend, I can create a basic .bat/.cmd file that will take a renamed .img (the thing you flash with), break it down into it's correct parts, and give you nicely sorted ingredients (is that what the cookers call an uncooked rom?) I was thinking of first starting a i910 *lite* rom, where almost everything is removed. I really only know what I want out of a rom, but don't know what other people want.

I still have lots to read about, and SztupY's automated kitchen seems to work. I just have to change around some of the scripts so that it's more i910 oriented. Does anyone who is reading this thread have any cooking experience that they could help me out with?

Yeah, I was going to start looking at it. I have already downloaded SztupY's kitchen but I have to start reading to figure it all out. I would really like to get WM6.5 on our devices. :excl:

Guest WoZZeR999
Yeah, I was going to start looking at it. I have already downloaded SztupY's kitchen but I have to start reading to figure it all out. I would really like to get WM6.5 on our devices. :excl:

I also downloaded someone elses 6.5 rom, but I think we need a CDMA phone with 6.5 to start with. I was going to try 6.5 with i910 dlls, but I want to get some mastery with cooking first.

Edited by WoZZeR999

Guest blazingwolf
I also downloaded someone elses 6.5 rom, but I think we need a CDMA phone with 6.5 to start with. I was going to try 6.5 with i910 dlls, but I want to get some mastery with cooking first.

I'm not sure about that as there is already devices that are CDMA with 6.5 on them though they are Diamonds and the like. Just have to figure out how to port it correctly.

Guest WoZZeR999

I have modified the ExtromROM_Bin a bit, all you need to do is rename the i910.vzw.img (or whatever you have the .img saved as) to Image.img (you can also drag whatever file you have onto extractrom_bin, and it will rename it)

@ECHO OFF
PATH %~dp0\Tools;%~dp0\XIPTools;%PATH%
Title Samsung i90X ROM Kitchen BY [email protected]
CD /D "%~dp0\"

ECHO.
ECHO Take I910 Image and split. Rename i910 Image to Image.img or drag file to ExtractROM_bin
ECHO.

rename %1 Image.img
CD /D "%~dp0\"
osnbtool -sp Image.img
del *.header
del *.footer
rename Image.img.bin.nb0 PDA.nb0

ECHO.
ECHO Extracting BIN. Please Wait......
ECHO.

osnbtool -sp pda.nb0
ren pda.nb0.os.nb OS.nb
osnbtool -d os.nb 1 XIP.bin
osnbtool -d os.nb 2 Imgfs.bin

ECHO.
ECHO Extracting Imgfs. Please Wait......
ECHO.
ImgfsToDump.exe imgfs.bin > dump.log

ECHO.
ECHO Extracting XIP. Please Wait......
ECHO.
dump XIP.bin

ECHO.
ECHO Extracting OEM and SYS. Please Wait.......
ECHO.
PKGTool.exe dump
move dump\SYS .\SYS
move dump\OEM .\OEM
move romhdr.bin .\ROM\.
move XIP .\ROM\.

ECHO.
ECHO Clean-up of unnecessary files......
ECHO.
rmdir /s/q .\dump
del dump*
del pda.*
del imgfs.bin
del XIP.bin

ECHO.
ECHO All ROM files have been extracted. Start BuildROM after customisation......
ECHO.
pause[/code]

Save that over extractrom_bin

Guest johnny2678
The scroll bar went through several times for me before it got stuck on 73% ( the step was something like writing a block/erasing a block?)

I just tried to flash again with the power connected via the splitter the phone shipped with connected, but UMDL didn't recognize it. I suppose I'll try again. Anyone else seen this and get past it?

Ok, I finally got through a complete flash late last night and I was too tired to post back. For those of you that are getting stuck... make sure your phone has > 60% charge. I think that might have been my problem as I was teetering on low battery.

Everything is working, phone, data, GPS... now we just need a GPS quick fix hack!

Thanks to all on the board who lost sleep working on this!

Guest Echew

I took liberty and created a seperate thread for this for everyone to talk about... You may get more resposes that way...

What I would like to see in a custom ROM is...

WinMo 6.5 (DEFINATE)

WLS (latest build)

Windows Messenger - I have the installer if needed

.net 3.5 (set to use it as well)

Remove Widgets - still useless to me anyway

Find the Facebook app that MS made - I have the XDA one

Samsung Today 2

Just my opinion

Edited by Echew

Guest WoZZeR999
I took liberty and created a seperate thread for this for everyone to talk about... You may get more resposes that way...

What I would like to see in a custom ROM is...

WinMo 6.5 (DEFINATE)

WLS (latest build)

Windows Messenger - I have the installer if needed

.net 3.5 (set to use it as well)

Remove Widgets - still useless to me anyway

Find the Facebook app that MS made - I have the XDA one

Samsung Today 2

Just my opinion

Yeah, I just wanted to get a feel before I make the published rom leap. Everything on that list is within my ability right now, except WM6.5. I have to find out of 6.5 can use the same dlls as 6.1

Guest Echew
Yeah, I just wanted to get a feel before I make the published rom leap. Everything on that list is within my ability right now, except WM6.5. I have to find out of 6.5 can use the same dlls as 6.1

I doubt it... Its like using Win7 DLLs with Vista, in tech support areana, we call that DLL Soup... :excl:

Guest blazingwolf
I doubt it... Its like using Win7 DLLs with Vista, in tech support areana, we call that DLL Soup... :excl:

I don't think your right about this. There are CDMA devices that have WM6.5 on them now but we can't use the GSM dlls so it had to be ported somehow. The trick is to just figure out how.

Guest keithnet

Looks like this new ROM has new IE6 that's supposed to be like a desktop browser. Can anyone confirm?

-Keith

Edited by keithnet

Guest cardsfan6

I successfully flashed last night. Works great. One question tho, now when my phone is in "sleep" mode I don't get the vibration when receiving a new text message. Now when my phone display is on it vibrates and works fine. Any ways to fix this?

Thanks

Guest necosino
I successfully flashed last night. Works great. One question tho, now when my phone is in "sleep" mode I don't get the vibration when receiving a new text message. Now when my phone display is on it vibrates and works fine. Any ways to fix this?

Thanks

Go into your notification settings and select new text message alert, and make sure the vibrate box is checked.

Guest somedude

All i have is the extended warranty with verizon.

If i go to a verizon store, and say my "phone stopped working" im assuming that they will try to fix it? Or will they just give me a replacement and call it a day?

I dont want them trying to fix the phone, because theyll see that i tried to flash it.

I cant believe im the only one who bricked...Just my luck :excl:.

Guest semmtexx
Sit outside for about 5 minutes with google maps running. Does it say seeking (0) or whatever?

Hey Wozzer, it's weird it just took trying it and waiting a few times and it finally took off.  Awsome!  Thanks.

Guest semmtexx
Turns out my problem was a fluke. I managed to flash it again successfully and the new rom works fine. As for the other guy whose phone is a brick, if you have one of verizon's insurance plans you could chuck the phone at the nearest hard object and take it in... :excl:

HAHA!

Guest semmtexx

Any one have any trouble with opera on the new rom? If i go to youtube, it will play embedded vids but the screen is all zoomed in and wont zoom out. Cant move screen either. I tried fooling with all the settings. Nothing fixes it.

Guest djdavid60
All i have is the extended warranty with verizon.

If i go to a verizon store, and say my "phone stopped working" im assuming that they will try to fix it? Or will they just give me a replacement and call it a day?

I dont want them trying to fix the phone, because theyll see that i tried to flash it.

I cant believe im the only one who bricked...Just my luck :excl: .

Take an extension cord, cut the wires and strip off about 1.4 inch on each wire. Then open the back of your Omnia and remove the battery. Plug the extension cord into the wall (BE CAREFUL not to touch the bare wires, or let them touch themselves). Touch the wires to the battery contacts in the phone (NOT ON THE BATTERY), thus applying the full brunt of 120VAC wall current into the omnia. Poof!!! Omnia no workie! :excl:

Actually the above was more for humor. You could probably electrically damage the phone easier with a DC power supply. Using the above method would most likey arc and leave burn marks on the battery contacts and be obvious to whoever looked at your phone.

Edited by djdavid60