Verizon i910 (Omnia) aGPS Unlock Effort

Guest dmk679

Guest ardvarkofdoom
how did you get to advanced config?

I don't know where the download is off the top of my head, but I got it as part of the cooked rom that i'm using. It's just one of the programs that some people use to tweek settings on their devices

Its the only i910 cooked rom. Don't be lazy, check the rom section :excl:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-r...910-cooked-rom/

haha, it's a good thing you put the link, people would have been "but I already flashed to the beta rom :excl:"

Guest Rob V
interesting. I installed the GPS Today and it it right, can't run it an iGO at the same time, but it is easy to disable it from the today screen, just tap it to turn it off.

Just for the record, I've been using the standalone version of GPS Today, set to autostart at boot time, and I keep it running permanently in the background. It works fine to keep my GPS "warm", and I can absolutely run other GPS software simultaneously (as I type this, I have GPS Today, Google Maps, and iGO8 all playing happily together).

FWIW, I've found that GPS Today offers some pretty useful features of its own: It can show weather at your current GPS location; and will automatically import your entire email contacts list and display those who are closest in a tabular list (sorted by distance). It can also pinpoint those contacts by name on a scrollable map around your current location. It's integrated with local search - enter a search term like "restaurants", and it retrieves results from an internet search and shows them on the map. If you click on one, it feeds that entry into Yelp and comes back with reader reviews and other info in your browser. Pretty slick, actually. Only thing I wish it offered was the ability to show satellite imagery vs. only road maps, like Google Maps does... and also wish that iGO8 had a similar ability to directly integrate with my contact list. It would be very nice to be able to pull up a contact, click "Route me with iGO", and have the route instantly created to their address from my current GPS location.

Wish I were more of a programmer: Looks like some great opportunities out there for someone to create "mashups" that front-end and tie all these tools together (various local online search engines, nav software, Google Maps, etc.) through a single really nice touch interface to make them all much more usable and valuable. Isn't this kind of 'workflow integration' somthing the iPhone does well?

Rob

Guest Tim-H
Just for the record, I've been using the standalone version of GPS Today, set to autostart at boot time,

Sorry if it was discussed before, but how much is this draining your battery?

Guest Sky Masters
Just for the record, I've been using the standalone version of GPS Today, set to autostart at boot time, and I keep it running permanently in the background. It works fine to keep my GPS "warm", and I can absolutely run other GPS software simultaneously (as I type this, I have GPS Today, Google Maps, and iGO8 all playing happily together).

FWIW, I've found that GPS Today offers some pretty useful features of its own: It can show weather at your current GPS location; and will automatically import your entire email contacts list and display those who are closest in a tabular list (sorted by distance). It can also pinpoint those contacts by name on a scrollable map around your current location. It's integrated with local search - enter a search term like "restaurants", and it retrieves results from an internet search and shows them on the map. If you click on one, it feeds that entry into Yelp and comes back with reader reviews and other info in your browser. Pretty slick, actually. Only thing I wish it offered was the ability to show satellite imagery vs. only road maps, like Google Maps does... and also wish that iGO8 had a similar ability to directly integrate with my contact list. It would be very nice to be able to pull up a contact, click "Route me with iGO", and have the route instantly created to their address from my current GPS location.

Wish I were more of a programmer: Looks like some great opportunities out there for someone to create "mashups" that front-end and tie all these tools together (various local online search engines, nav software, Google Maps, etc.) through a single really nice touch interface to make them all much more usable and valuable. Isn't this kind of 'workflow integration' somthing the iPhone does well?

Rob

Hey fella, where did you get iGO8 maps for North America?

Guest dmk679
Anymore luck getting agps to work?

No luck on my end. Tried many different gpsone configs in qpst and many different reg settings. We definitely are still missing a piece of the puzzle.

Related note, I am using a qualcomm gps tool to view nmea commands, satellite locks etc. See attached. I have been playing around with this program and can get the location of 11 sats when using XTRA. I am generally getting cold TTFF in about a minute. I am at a point that I have forgotten if that is better than the default settings on the i910, heh.

qualcom_gps_tools.zip.zip

Guest MrSmoofy
No luck on my end. Tried many different gpsone configs in qpst and many different reg settings. We definitely are still missing a piece of the puzzle.

Related note, I am using a qualcomm gps tool to view nmea commands, satellite locks etc. See attached. I have been playing around with this program and can get the location of 11 sats when using XTRA. I am generally getting cold TTFF in about a minute. I am at a point that I have forgotten if that is better than the default settings on the i910, heh.

Well with the leaked rom and Google maps the most I ever get is 5-6 locks and it sometime takes over an hour to connect.

Guest theidoctor.org
Well with the leaked rom and Google maps the most I ever get is 5-6 locks and it sometime takes over an hour to connect.

wow... i cant believe you actually wait an hour for it to connect lol....

well, hopefully the real update will fix that

Guest philwills
mine will normally get it in a few minutes

Mine also usually gets a fix in a few minutes, but, there's been times I've waited 20 minutes or more... of course, I've never really needed it yet, just playing around, seeing what I can do.

Oh yea, also, Advanced Config v3.3 with the aGPS setting... checking what it does right now.

BTW Using Wozzer's ROM v5 w/o M2D.

Lock in about 2 minutes...

Didn't try it before, because it would have kind of ruined this test. Will report back on my various lock times... probably tomorrow, don't plan on going more than 50 feet from where I am now for the rest of the night.

Edited by philwills

Guest Silvrswt
Mine also usually gets a fix in a few minutes, but, there's been times I've waited 20 minutes or more... of course, I've never really needed it yet, just playing around, seeing what I can do.

Oh yea, also, Advanced Config v3.3 with the aGPS setting... checking what it does right now.

BTW Using Wozzer's ROM v5 w/o M2D.

Lock in about 2 minutes...

Didn't try it before, because it would have kind of ruined this test. Will report back on my various lock times... probably tomorrow, don't plan on going more than 50 feet from where I am now for the rest of the night.

I find that after a long day of use, if I go into iGO it sometimes doesn't find the GPS module at all, but a soft reset gets everything in order again. The joy of unofficial ROMs!

Guest dmk679

Have been playing with qxdm and all the associated NV items for gpsone are setup properly.

Am thinking that gpsone is locked in the radio stack (as it relates to agps). I need to find the best way to send AT commands to the device - does anyone know how to do this? I have a few documents with reference AT commands to determine gpsone operation mode and other parameters. TIA.

Guest somedude

Is this still a issue? I was able to turn on a-gps using advanced config...

I get locks ANYWHERE in my house now. I was in the basement and got 8 satellites locks pretty quickly...

I still have to give it a test drive with garmin mobile xt and see if i still exprience issues with taking a long time to get a gps fixed.

Im pretty sure that wont be a issue though. This issue is RESOLVED with me.

I think the thread starter can changed the title to say [sOLVED!]

Edited by somedude

Guest dmk679
Is this still a issue? I was able to turn on a-gps using advanced config...

I get locks ANYWHERE in my house now. I was in the basement and got 8 satellites locks pretty quickly...

I still have to give it a test drive with garmin mobile xt and see if i still exprience issues with taking a long time to get a gps fixed.

Im pretty sure that wont be a issue though. This issue is RESOLVED with me.

I think the thread starter can changed the title to say [sOLVED!]

Are you sure agps is working? You will get hot locks pretty fast, even inside a dwelling. The true test is cold lock speed or time to first fix (ttff).

Guest somedude
Are you sure agps is working? You will get hot locks pretty fast, even inside a dwelling. The true test is cold lock speed or time to first fix (ttff).

Well all i know is that ever since i enabled a-gps via advanced config, i can get a lock with garmin mobile xt wthin :30 - 2 mins, and this is inside my room, with my back turned away to the window. Also the route calculation is much faster.

Before i enalbed a-gps, sometimes i couldnt even get a route calculation! And this would be outside!

ALSO, once i have a lock with google maps, then close it via task switcher, then restart the app, i have a lock instantly, no wait. Once again this is being done in my room with my back turned to the window.

It was pretty embarrassing to have my girlfriends cheap cellphone get gps locks faster and just plain outperform my omnia when it came to gps. That isnt the case anymore! Bwahahahahaha!

Edited by somedude

Guest dmk679
Well all i know is that ever since i enabled a-gps via advanced config, i can get a lock with garmin mobile xt wthin :30 - 2 mins, and this is inside my room, with my back turned away to the window. Also the route calculation is much faster.

Before i enalbed a-gps, sometimes i couldnt even get a route calculation! And this would be outside!

ALSO, once i have a lock with google maps, then close it via task switcher, then restart the app, i have a lock instantly, no wait. Once again this is being done in my room with my back turned to the window.

It was pretty embarrassing to have my girlfriends cheap cellphone get gps locks faster and just plain outperform my omnia when it came to gps. That isnt the case anymore! Bwahahahahaha!

With apgs you will cold lock in less than 10s (using a position determining entity; pde), generally speaking. With my current setup, no agps working, I get cold locks in 50-90s which isnt that bad but could be improved. I hot lock in less than 10s right now and it will work quite well inside a dwelling.

Glad to hear you are locking quicker. We still need to get agps working with a pde for the ultimate in cold ttff.

Guest monsterpt
With apgs you will cold lock in less than 10s (using a position determining entity; pde), generally speaking. With my current setup, no agps working, I get cold locks in 50-90s which isnt that bad but could be improved. I hot lock in less than 10s right now and it will work quite well inside a dwelling.

Glad to hear you are locking quicker. We still need to get agps working with a pde for the ultimate in cold ttff.

I understand the desire to get a <15 second gps lock on this phone. However, I am now able to get 35sec ttff consistently with advanced config settings. This is inside my home with Amazegps.

I have not had locks this fast on my handheld gps units. It definitely beats all of my friends phones for lock speed hands down.

and yes they are cold locks after a reset.

Edited by monsterpt

Guest blazingwolf
I understand the desire to get a <15 second gps lock on this phone. However, I am now able to get 35sec ttff consistently with advanced config settings. This is inside my home with Amazegps.

I have not had locks this fast on my handheld gps units. It definitely beats all of my friends phones for lock speed hands down.

The issue is that Advanced Config does not show that setting for all devices. I know it doesn't show it for mine.

Guest ardvarkofdoom

I think that the ROM that Wozzer cooked had either a special version of advanced config or he tweaked it somehow... I've ONLY had those extra settings on his ROM :D

Guest dmk679

Are you locking this fast after a 4hr delay or change in position? The device caches your position and a soft reset will not necessarily result in a cold lock. Which version of advanced config are you running?

Thanks

Guest monsterpt
I think that the ROM that Wozzer cooked had either a special version of advanced config or he tweaked it somehow... I've ONLY had those extra settings on his ROM :D

Yeah, I'm using his new WM 6.5 ROM. I did notice S2U2 may give me some trouble, have to include gps apps in the exception list.

Guest monsterpt
Are you locking this fast after a 4hr delay or change in position? The device caches your position and a soft reset will not necessarily result in a cold lock. Which version of advanced config are you running?

Thanks

Advanced config from Wozzers 6.5 ROM is set for 0 position cache.

BUT... stay tuned I just started having issues with the lock.

Guest somedude

I am using wozzer's new rom with winmo 6.5 as well. I dont know why the a-gps is working all of sudden, but im glad it is!

Edited by somedude

Guest Omega Ra

QFT. I had the setting on Wozzer's v5 ROM but not on Adrynalyne's 1.0 ROM.

Guest Adrynalyne
QFT. I had the setting on Wozzer's v5 ROM but not on Adrynalyne's 1.0 ROM.

Its a bogus setting.

It may work for HTC supplied GPS, but not us.

You can try it if you want. This will enable it.

What it does:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HTC\SUPL AGPS]

"EnablePDEIPFromNV"=dword:00000000

"ServerIP"="66.174.95.132"

"ServerPort"=dword:000022B8

Which is what advanced configuration reads.

*Shrug*

agps.cab