Verizon i910 (Omnia) aGPS Unlock Effort

Guest dmk679

Guest dmk679

*Solved*

The Verizon Omnia (i910) update CF03 confers assisted GPS (aGPS)! Please install this update or a custom ROM based on CF03.

Guest integrate

Would someone mind putting together a quick tutorial on this? I see a bunch of info from multiple posts but not sure how to exactly piece them together to unlock aGPS and wouldn't want to make any mis-steps. Preferably for Verizon would be good.

Guest xenspidey
That didn't quite work for me. I used all your settings except:

I changed:

(/RIL/GPS/)

DownloadResult to 1 (don't know if it does anything, just testing it)

RefreshRate to 2 (the Omnia's gps chip is 2hz)

ServerAddress to xtra1.gpsonextra.net:80 (to get the file)

(/RIL/GPS/XTRA)

AutoDownload to 1 (so it will download the file)

DownloadResult to 1 (don't know if it does anything, just testing it)

Enable to 1 (we want it working, right?)

After that, I loaded up google maps, data connected, and I had a lock within about 4 seconds!

I'm testing this... so far it actually seems to be locking rather quickly. I'm inside a CMU building right now and got 6 sats in under 20 sec. I'll be testing this and with this setup below (since i'm on verizon) i'll do some testing tonight and try to report back tomorrow what i've got.

Verizon:

PDE IP Address: 66.174.95.132

PDE Port number: 8888

PDE Transport: IP

Position Calculation: Mobile

Guest jraygoza

Gentlemen,

I followed the changes for QPST but havent done the registry changes. When I open google maps my location is 4300 meters away... any thoughts? I wonder if anyone can make a cab with the registry changes.

Thank You,

Jorge

Guest ardvarkofdoom
Gentlemen,

I followed the changes for QPST but havent done the registry changes. When I open google maps my location is 4300 meters away... any thoughts? I wonder if anyone can make a cab with the registry changes.

Thank You,

Jorge

4300 meters is from aGPS... you can get closer, but not *too* much closer, that's the nature of aGPS. You'll get that aGPS lock almost instantly, just turn on GPS and let it find sats and you'll have a much closer lock ;)

Guest wade_link

I am having issues as well. Using Google Maps, but not finding any satelites. I am using the new Verizion rom with Google set for COM8 and 57600 baud. No satelites to be found. Bing doesn't seem to be doing any better.

Any help?!

Guest ATSsupport
I posted this a few pages ago:

In cdma workshop under the NAM tab, you can set the mode as GPS only - this allows the GPS to work while the phone is off (flight mode). If we can isolate how this mode is achieved, we should be able to create an app to enable gps with the phone off. This topic is a bit off-scope for enabling aGPS, but thought folks would be interested that this option does exist right now.

Man I'd love to be able to use the GPS when the phone is "off", I want to be able to use my Omnia as a GPS when hiking but I don't because the phone keeps going in and out of service and it kills the battery, plus when i'm hiking I usually don't want my phone on anyways. Maybe we should start a new thread to figure this out.

Guest Lisbian08
Man I'd love to be able to use the GPS when the phone is "off", I want to be able to use my Omnia as a GPS when hiking but I don't because the phone keeps going in and out of service and it kills the battery, plus when i'm hiking I usually don't want my phone on anyways. Maybe we should start a new thread to figure this out.

This would theoretically be possible with a program like iGo 8 that has the maps on the SD card. This would not work for Bing Maps or Google Maps that relies on the phone to download maps as you go.

Guest SuzukiDan
Would someone mind putting together a quick tutorial on this? I see a bunch of info from multiple posts but not sure how to exactly piece them together to unlock aGPS and wouldn't want to make any mis-steps. Preferably for Verizon would be good.

+1 I have read most of this thread but am still not sure what exactly I need to do to get GPS working with google maps. I've tried downloading aGPS and setting my com port & baud rates as listed (8, 57600) but nothing. I do have the latest verizon software update as well (what a hassle that was!). Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Guest dmk679
+1 I have read most of this thread but am still not sure what exactly I need to do to get GPS working with google maps. I've tried downloading aGPS and setting my com port & baud rates as listed (8, 57600) but nothing. I do have the latest verizon software update as well (what a hassle that was!). Any help will be greatly appreciated!

The optimal registry and QPST settings are still being determined. The settings will be reported once finalized and consensus is reached.

aGPS works automatically with the CF03 ROM (Verizon) or any custom CF03-based ROM. To get GPS to work, you need to:

- Turn ON GPS in Phone Settings

To my knowledge this is the only setting required to get the GPS working with 3rd party apps like google maps, bing etc. From my experience, it is best to use "managed by windows" in 3rd party apps rather than specifying com port and baud rate.

Guest dmk679
Does using GPSToggle.cab solve the slow lock problem?

Any program that keeps the GPS warm through constant interaction will result in a low time to first fix. The trade off is any detrimental impact on battery life, which is already a struggle.

Guest xenspidey

Ok i need some feedback on some settings. i'm getting locks in under 5 seconds inside after taking the battery out and so forth. i've never gotten that fast or that many satelites so quickly. it all started after changing my settings to the below.

Let me know if anyone can duplicate these.

post-539099-1248463474_thumb.png

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Samsung\RIL\GPS]

"Running"=dword:00000000

"ServerPort"=dword:000022B8

"ServerIP"="216.198.139.92"

"EnablePDEIPFromNV"=dword:00000000

"VAccuracy"=dword:00000000

"TimeSync"=dword:00000000

"StartingMode"=dword:00000002

"SSL"=dword:00000000

"SessionType"=dword:00000001

"ServerAddress"="mpclm.eng.telusmobility.com:8889"

"ResponseTime"=dword:00000002

"RefreshRate"=dword:00000001

"QOPDelay"=dword:0000000C

"OperatingMode"=dword:00000002

"MaxLocationAge"=dword:00000000

"DownloadResult"=dword:00000000

"AGPSStatus"=dword:00000001

"Accuracy"=dword:00000013

"AccessPoint"="Vzw"

i have a feeling that the bold ones are to take note of. i also downloaded xtra.bin and have a copy in / and in /windows. 

I'll test more this weekend since i'll be on the road. let me know if anyone has any luck with this. maybe it all is as simple as Serveraddress on the i900 was replaced with serverip and serverport on the i910. 

Edited by xenspidey

Guest dmk679
Ok i need some feedback on some settings. i'm getting locks in under 5 seconds inside after taking the battery out and so forth. i've never gotten that fast or that many satelites so quickly. it all started after changing my settings to the below.

I changed over to your setup and got 8 sats in about 20s. Not bad! I will test more this w/e.

Edited by dmk679

Guest scubamike

"AccessPoint"="Vzw"

i have a feeling that the bold ones are to take note of. i also downloaded xtra.bin and have a copy in / and in /windows.

I'll test more this weekend since i'll be on the road. let me know if anyone has any luck with this. maybe it all is as simple as Serveraddress on the i900 was replaced with serverip and serverport on the i910.

The first thing I did was download QPST and, after a bit of researching, howardforums.com got me hooked up. My QPST GPS screen now mirrors yours. I disconnected, reconnected and read the phone again to make sure every "stuck". I don't know where you downloaded your xtra.bin. I downloaded the htc_qiuck_gps... something or other that was patched for the wqvga. It stuck the xtra.bin in my windows folder automatically. I also copied it into the root directory as well. My big question is this: Did you manually enter all those registry entries or did some other program insert them for you? Thanks for your reply in advance.

Guest dmk679
The first thing I did was download QPST and, after a bit of researching, howardforums.com got me hooked up. My QPST GPS screen now mirrors yours. I disconnected, reconnected and read the phone again to make sure every "stuck". I don't know where you downloaded your xtra.bin. I downloaded the htc_qiuck_gps... something or other that was patched for the wqvga. It stuck the xtra.bin in my windows folder automatically. I also copied it into the root directory as well. My big question is this: Did you manually enter all those registry entries or did some other program insert them for you? Thanks for your reply in advance.

I entered the reg settings manually

point opera to http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin to download the file

Edited by dmk679

Guest Itlooksfast

Wow you guys finally solved this and freaking the Updated ROM came out with the aGPS in it. Talk about timing...great effort tho. Well im having problem with the GPS locking up satellites with this new release ROM....im running Bgills 6.5 Cooked ROM based on the Updated CF03 Released. I might try this to see if it works or not.

Guest dna550

Success! Seven months after getting my Verizon Wireless Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 I am finally using Google Maps with the internal GPS!

This has been my single-minded goal since turning this amazing device on...well...right after using the device as a tethered modem, getting my corporate e-mail and calendar updates, surfing the web and, oh yeah, taking telephone calls.

The last step to a GPS-enabled Google Maps Mobile was to download and install and activate BAF GPS Toggle. http://www.baf.cc/gpstoggle

I turned on the BAF GPS Toggle GPS, waited a few seconds - out doors - and watched as BAF GPS locked-in 5 satellites.

Then I launched Google Maps. Yes! Eureka! Google Maps immediately positioned me on planet Earth

The step prior to that was to:

Make sure and go to Settings --> Personal --> Phone --> Services --> GPS --> Location = ON, and do a soft reset.

I did the step below too, but I doubt it made any difference, but if you want to know what ports your GPS is using and at what baud rate, then you will want this normally hidden control applet available:

If you can’t view External GPS under settings, then you need to edit your registry.

By using a registry editor you can unhide the External GPS control panel

by Deleting any “Redirect” or “Hide” keys under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Controlpanel\GPS Settings.

Warning, be sure to backup your registry first in case you mess up.

It's nice to see something about GPS in my system control panel!

To do the above, however, I had to first download a Desktop Registry Editor ;-)

I got The CeRegEditor which is a registry editor for all devices based on PocketPC2003, WindowsMobile, WindowsCE.

Much nicer to edit the registry for Windows Mobile 6.1 using my laptop and the USB-connected OMNIA!

CeRegEditor can be downloaded from:

http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl.

http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl/index.php?id=3&lang=en

None of this would have been possible without downloading and carefully running the SAMSUNG SCH-i910 ROM Upgrade!!:

Where Do I Obtain CF03 Software Upgrade For My SCH-I910 (Omnia) Phone?

SCH-i910 User upgrade tool v1.0.5.3.zip

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/fa...mp;AT_ID=157996]

What a strange trip Verizon Wireless has put us through to use the Samsung OMNIA SCH-i910 internal GPS!

The Samsung SCH-i910 is a great device. In fact, it's capabilities are mind boggling and with the new ROM, touch screen usage is way better and generally the entire experience is much more usable:

I want to thank this forum for it's persistence and willingness to share information, since neither Samsung, Google Maps, Microsoft Windows Mobile or Verizon Wireless was able to get me over the hump on getting Google Maps working with the GPS on this device using Verizon's very capable network!

Edited by dna550

Guest scubamike

"AccessPoint"="Vzw"

i have a feeling that the bold ones are to take note of. i also downloaded xtra.bin and have a copy in / and in /windows.

I entered everything as written. Just a couple of questions though. On the entries that aren't a dword did you just do a reg_sz entry? I did the quotation marks around the none-dword entries. Is that what you did? Also, on the serverport, I changed it to 000022B9 so the port reads 8889. Was that a typo in your reg listing or was it really supposed to be 8888? Thanks for this info.

Guest scubamike

I don't know if I did everything to a "T", but I can say that after a soft-rest it was the quickest lock I've ever gotten. It was under 20 seconds. I often soft-reset the phone in an attempt to "straighten out" Gmaps to get it to connect faster and still wait 2-4 minuts. I'll keep you posted.

Can I ask if you came up with this information on your own if you read it from another site? This is great stuff.

Guest xenspidey
I entered everything as written. Just a couple of questions though. On the entries that aren't a dword did you just do a reg_sz entry? I did the quotation marks around the none-dword entries. Is that what you did? Also, on the serverport, I changed it to 000022B9 so the port reads 8889. Was that a typo in your reg listing or was it really supposed to be 8888? Thanks for this info.

They aren't dword value's they are just strings. As to your 8888 vs. 8889, my theory is that the reg value "ServerAddress" should be replaced with "ServerIP" and "ServerPort" and i've been testing both 8888 and 8889 (i've seen them both used) i think i'm having the best luck with 8888.

I don't know if I did everything to a "T", but I can say that after a soft-rest it was the quickest lock I've ever gotten. It was under 20 seconds. I often soft-reset the phone in an attempt to "straighten out" Gmaps to get it to connect faster and still wait 2-4 minuts. I'll keep you posted.

Can I ask if you came up with this information on your own if you read it from another site? This is great stuff.

I'm still testing some different setting and most of the weekend i was out of cell range so i was in flight mode so my battery wouldn't loose juice too fast.

I came up with it mostly on my own but have been piecing stuff together from different places.

Edited by xenspidey

Guest xenspidey
Success! Seven months after getting my Verizon Wireless Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 I am finally using Google Maps with the internal GPS!

This has been my single-minded goal since turning this amazing device on...well...right after using the device as a tethered modem, getting my corporate e-mail and calendar updates, surfing the web and, oh yeah, taking telephone calls.

The last step to a GPS-enabled Google Maps Mobile was to download and install and activate BAF GPS Toggle. http://www.baf.cc/gpstoggle

I turned on the BAF GPS Toggle GPS, waited a few seconds - out doors - and watched as BAF GPS locked-in 5 satellites.

Then I launched Google Maps. Yes! Eureka! Google Maps immediately positioned me on planet Earth

The step prior to that was to:

Make sure and go to Settings --> Personal --> Phone --> Services --> GPS --> Location = ON, and do a soft reset.

I did the step below too, but I doubt it made any difference, but if you want to know what ports your GPS is using and at what baud rate, then you will want this normally hidden control applet available:

If you can’t view External GPS under settings, then you need to edit your registry.

By using a registry editor you can unhide the External GPS control panel

by Deleting any “Redirect” or “Hide” keys under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Controlpanel\GPS Settings.

Warning, be sure to backup your registry first in case you mess up.

It's nice to see something about GPS in my system control panel!

To do the above, however, I had to first download a Desktop Registry Editor ;-)

I got The CeRegEditor which is a registry editor for all devices based on PocketPC2003, WindowsMobile, WindowsCE.

Much nicer to edit the registry for Windows Mobile 6.1 using my laptop and the USB-connected OMNIA!

CeRegEditor can be downloaded from:

http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl.

http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl/index.php?id=3&lang=en

None of this would have been possible without downloading and carefully running the SAMSUNG SCH-i910 ROM Upgrade!!:

Where Do I Obtain CF03 Software Upgrade For My SCH-I910 (Omnia) Phone?

SCH-i910 User upgrade tool v1.0.5.3.zip

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/fa...mp;AT_ID=157996]

What a strange trip Verizon Wireless has put us through to use the Samsung OMNIA SCH-i910 internal GPS!

The Samsung SCH-i910 is a great device. In fact, it's capabilities are mind boggling and with the new ROM, touch screen usage is way better and generally the entire experience is much more usable:

I want to thank this forum for it's persistence and willingness to share information, since neither Samsung, Google Maps, Microsoft Windows Mobile or Verizon Wireless was able to get me over the hump on getting Google Maps working with the GPS on this device using Verizon's very capable network!

I'm not sure what you are trying to say... We've had GPS unlocked since the leaked ROM quite some time ago. We are trying to get aGPS to work, which is completley different!

Guest SuzukiDan

dna550, I've got that exact setup on my phone and i left it outside for 10 minutes and it did not get gps lock on even one satellite. Location on, aGPS installed, BAF GPS toggle set to ON.. and nothing.

I agree the title should have "Solved" removed as this is not working for me at all, and some of the people who have got it working have not isolated what precise settings are needed, so it is still a work in progress.

Guest dmk679
dna550, I've got that exact setup on my phone and i left it outside for 10 minutes and it did not get gps lock on even one satellite. Location on, aGPS installed, BAF GPS toggle set to ON.. and nothing.

I agree the title should have "Solved" removed as this is not working for me at all, and some of the people who have got it working have not isolated what precise settings are needed, so it is still a work in progress.

I removed "solved" from the title even though I disagree slightly. aGPS has been enabled on the CF03 release by Verizon. There may be debate over the type of aGPS used by GMaps vs VZNAV etc. Can we make the GPS work better (quicker locks)...probably.